Have you ever considered quitting writing? Why or why not?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Have you ever considered quitting writing? Why or why not?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Have you ever considered quitting writing? Why or why not?

For me, writing has always been something I’ve wanted to do more of, so I don’t think the thought of quitting has ever crossed my mind.

I absolutely love writing with my siblings, I love writing by myself, there’s so many stories untold and so many areas where I want to improve. So I don’t think writing will ever be something I’ll quit.

But I’m only a eighteen, so maybe in ten years I’ll changed so much that I can’t even look at a book, haha.

What about you? Have you ever wanting to quit writing? Why or why not?

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer
        • Total Posts: 243

Wait, what? You’re younger than me? I for sure thought you were 20-ish. XD

The thought of quitting has crossed my mind a couple of times. I have a tendency to look at my writing, or at my list of unfinished (and unstarted) projects, or whatever the case may be and think that I’m not really very good at the whole writing thing; I’m better at learning all the head knowledge, and the practice in particular areas, and then teaching other people how to write, or helping them make their writing better through editing.

And especially since in recent years I have a lot of trouble feeling like my projects are important, or like I can do them justice, or like I’ll be able to find a project worth pouring years into after whichever book I’m working on right now… I often wonder “Well, if I never produce another decent book, then am I really cut out to be a writer?”

It all sounds a lot sillier written out, but I’ve genuinely thought all of these things multiple times.

I do often enjoy the writing-related roles focused on teaching and supporting better than the actual creating roles, these days (though I enjoy both). But somehow God always brings along the next important book right when I need it, so I believe that if He ever really does want me to stop writing… I’ll know. He just won’t give me the next book, and I’ll focus on editing and teaching, and that will be okay. But for now, He’s still giving me stories, or reviving existing stories from the dead, and I’m still writing, so… *shrugs* He knows what He’s doing, and I’m just trying to follow Him step by step.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Not-So-Secret Secret Assassin
        @not-so-secret-secret-assassin
          • Total Posts: 133

Already did.

Flawless and handsome (as ruled by my grandmother.)

Jodi Maile
          @jodi-maile
            • Total Posts: 138

@kathleenramm Yes. I actually have quit writing before. I just thought I was never going to measure up as a writer on my own, since I’m always so harsh on my own work. I lose faith in it and just hate it and then delete it or abandon it entirely. That had been going on for about seven years before I tentatively stepped into writing again last fall, and I’ve been trying to stick to it ever since.

I love telling people stories, seeing their reactions, and sharing the joy of witnessing a great story with them. Whenever I feel like it’s just me telling stories to myself that no one will care about, I get discouraged. Which is why I felt like it was time to branch out to other areas in the writing world (editing, narrating, scriptwriting, etc.) to see if the problem was just that I wasn’t in the right niche. I found that I still like writing, though, and now I have a bunch of other interests too haha XD. Once I started letting myself write things that I was enjoying, that I didn’t care if I published or not, I started having fun being creative again and writing consistently.

@r-m-archer
            You put that so well, I feel almost exactly the same way about learning the head knowledge and helping other people instead of writing my own work. I think editing is more enjoyable for me because I don’t have to be as creative anymore, I can just clarify and enhance the first, second, or third draft that already exists.

Trahia the Minstrel
            @trahia-the-minstrel
              • Total Posts: 193

@kathleenramm

I’m actually struggling quite a bit right now, though I definitely don’t want to give up. I’m sorta having trouble reigniting my passion for free-writing after a very long editing sesh on my first book. I want to rewrite my second one, and I’m getting stuck even in the outline — I just want it to be so good. I know it could be a really beautiful story if I tell it right, so I guess I’m putting pressure on myself.

Btw, it’s really cool we’re the same age😂

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
              That’s my wish to create.

Trahia the Minstrel
              @trahia-the-minstrel
                • Total Posts: 193

@jodi-maile

I know, right? I hated revising at first, but now it’s a lot harder to move into a new book instead of constantly polishing what I already have.

Also, I totally get the thing about the scariness of caring about publication. I have a feeling Yanet part of what may be holding me back at the moment, so maybe I should just enjoy writing and getting my story down, then worry about publication. Thanks!

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                That’s my wish to create.

Jodi Maile
                @jodi-maile
                  • Total Posts: 138

@trahia-the-minstrel Yes!! It’s so hard for me to move into writing a new book, editing is one of my favorite parts. I feel like it’s easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I’m almost done editing, you know? Like all the effort is about to pay off, because I’m almost done with the project, and it’ll be published soon or something lol. I wish you the best with your story, I’d love to read it someday! 🙂

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting
                    • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Nope, only taken breaks. Because at this point I’ve invested too much time in it to stop.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                    Would you mind letting me know
                    If hours don't turn into days

Libby
                    @libby
                      • Total Posts: 59

*sighs* Yes, I have.  Or rather, writing is something I’ve always wanted to do… it’s the type of writing I do that I’ve doubted.  And whether or not I ought to pursue writing as a career.  But writing is a part of who I am.  And whether I write in my journals or on my blog or get published and become famous, I think I’ll always write.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Elishavet Pidyon
                      @elishavet-pidyon
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@libby

I’m pretty much like that. I love writing, whether it’s a story or an essay, but I doubt I’ll ever do it as a career. As a hobby I can see doing it, and about every profession uses writing skills.

I don’t know yet how far it will influence my “real” life, or whether I’ll even ever get anything published. All I know is that I don’t want to give it up. It’s special.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
                        @koshka
                          • Total Posts: 1424

Oh my. Yes, I have considered putting an end to my writing endeavors. I have considered deleting/incinerating all my existing work. I still struggle over if being a published author is part of His plan for my life.

But the stories keep growing, deepening, branching out, untill they spill out in some form of other. I’ve tried to smother them, put them out.

Until I realized being an Author doesn’t mean I can’t be anything else. In fact, writing is only another way to fulfill our highest calling, to spread the Gospel to every living creature.

I’m not published, I haven’t even completed any of my books, but that doesn’t matter. I am one of the King’s own storytellers. My pen is in his hand.

Wow, that came out much longer than I intended.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >