Has a song ever inspired a story, scene, or character?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Has a song ever inspired a story, scene, or character?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Has a song ever inspired a story, scene, or character?

This is something I’ve always wanted to do and also shocked that I haven’t done it yet as I pretty much listen to music 24/7.

I think I have gotten quite a few ideas for characters, scenes, stories, and such from music, sometimes from the lyrics but often from the overall feeling the song gave me, but I’ve never actually turned those ideas into a full-fledge writing project or character.

You know, it’s the never-ending dilemma of too many ideas and not enough time situation.

But that’s why I’m particularly interested in your guys’ answers. Has a song/ songs inspired something in your story for you? What was the song? Was it the lyrics of the song or something else entirely? How did the story turn out? How far did you take the story?

So yeah, I have a lot of interest in those who have written a story or character or scene inspired by a song. Probably because I’ve always wanted and intended to do so but haven’t yet lol.

Keilah H.
      @keilah-h
        • Total Posts: 3875

YES.

• A whole Jurassic World fanfiction, themed after a Warriors/Survivors style, was created from a Disney song. Confused yet? It didn’t go far, but it happened.
        • I’ve found that the film scores for the Transformers movies would make a nice soundtrack for the stories that my brother and I work on together. I’ve never seen and don’t really care about those movies, but I like the music.
        • Every one of my Tron fanfics fits with the original movie’s soundtrack. The stories either happen in the same universe at the same time, with a different-but-overlapping story, or with different characters in a different universe, but in the same situation/storyline.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Yes, definitely! There’s too many to count, haha. But a couple I can remember:

• Bird Song by Florence and the Machine
          • Gasoline by Brand New, covered by Falling Up
          • Daylight by Northern Abbey

I’ve tried starting some based off of them, but usually I just write down the ideas and keep it for later. Too many ideas, too little time.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12
            • Total Posts: 6645

@kathleenramm

UMMM…

*cough….cough…*

Pretty much all of them…..???

*sheepish grin*

ok no but seriously….music is like….a huge inspiration for scenes. Like….I cannot explain how huge. ENORMOUSLY HUGE. GIGANTIC. MASSIVE. ALL THE OTHER WORDS MEANING BIG THAT I CANNOT THINK OF AT THE MOMENT XD.

soooooooooooo the answer to ur question? A huge, very, very enthusiastic YERP.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

Bethany
            @sparrowhawke
              • Total Posts: 30

Well, I’m currently outlining a fanfic inspired by the lore of the album Trench

I only listen to music that I could imagine some kind of storyline to.

I did write a short story inspired by a song, but it’s stupid so I won’t go into detail about it.

Elfwing
              @elfwing
                • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

yeah most of my characters are at least somwhat based off music. I have adhd and anxiety, music helps, but it also helps me write too. My playlist is all over the place lol so it works well for diversity XD

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Elfwing.

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h
                  • Total Posts: 3875

@elfwing Same, I have over a thousand songs in my playlist. Mostly whole soundtracks with Christian music scattered throughout.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >