Friend's editing website!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Friend's editing website!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Grace H.
    @gh24682468999
      • Total Posts: 199

One of my classmates recently started an editing business, so if you want to check it out, here you go!

Here’s the link!

She’s an editor for our school’s journalism club and was head editor for a recently released literary magazine. (She’s also an incredibly hard-working and responsible friend, so I’d recommend her on that basis if not anything else).

I may also be interested in doing something like this in the future, so if anyone has experience with freelance editing, or knows anything about it, could you give me some advice on how to get started or how to prepare to be a good editor? Thanks 🙂

@rochellaine
      @daeus @supermonkey42 @livgiordano @catwing @jane-maree @audrey-caylin @anybody

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
      literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Audrey Caylin
      @audrey-caylin
        • Total Posts: 323

@gh24682468999 Ooh, nice! I’ll be sure to check it out! 😀

I personally haven’t started a freelance editing business yet, but I’m really hoping to in the future! Right now I’m practicing by critiquing other peoples’ manuscripts for free and taking some courses through The Pen Institute.

@jane-maree
        recently started her business, so I’d bet she has more info than me 😉

Jane Maree
        @jane-maree
          • Total Posts: 909

@gh24682468999 As Audrey mentioned, I am a freelance editor. Getting started is a matter of (as Audrey also said) critiquing and editing friends’ and other writers’ manuscripts for free. If someone wants a beta or alpha reader–put your hand up! You’ll get practice and experience and also you’ll get your name out there as an editor.

Other than that, it’s always a good idea to have other professionals/experiences editors go through even a short snippet for/with you so that you can see what they do and what works for them, just to give you a bit of a starting point and some ideas.

Acquaint yourself with all sorts of writing styles as well as correct sentence form and structure. You have to know the rules, but you also have to know when it’s permissible to creatively bend them and when you have to crack down and say it needs to be corrected.

If you’re going to take any courses, I suggest you take courses for writers, not just for editors. Editor courses tell you what to fix, but writer courses are more likely to tell you what the writer (and the reader) actually want, so you can ultimately be more helpful.

That’s a couple of my thoughts, but if you want any more advice or want to know more about how I, personally, do and have done editing, feel free to shoot me an email (jane(at)janemareeauthor.com.au). 😉

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Grace H.
          @gh24682468999
            • Total Posts: 199

@audrey-caylin Thanks! Yes, I’ve seen what you said about that on your site 🙂 The Pen Institute looks really cool as well. I’ll keep that link for future reference.

@jane-maree
            Ooh, thanks 😀 Your advice is really helpful. Although I have yet to decide whether this is plausible for me to pursue in the next few years, I have an idea of where to start. Thanks again!

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
            literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          >