First chapter of Journey to Amber Forest

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy First chapter of Journey to Amber Forest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kylie
    @livingwoodchronicles
      • Total Posts: 259

Alrighty, quick intro here: my name is Kylie. I’m a young, teenage writer of clean, morally sound middle-grade fiction fantasy. I write animal-protagonist books; and I have published my first in The LivingWoodChronicles Trilogy. For those of you who know me, I’ve been on working on the second book for a long time now and I finally decided…why not give you a reveal??? It ain’t much, albeit, and there is still a lot to work on, and my editor/co-writer still has to browse through it before the book gets released sometime October 2023. So without further stalling, I give you the prologue and first chapter of Amber Forest!! EEEp!!!

lost but not alone

Kylie
      @livingwoodchronicles

lost but not alone

Kylie
        @livingwoodchronicles

Prologue 

Water lapped on the rocky shoreline, the peaty smell of algae strong and tangible in the air. Prince Zasonar closed his eyes, the feathery slide of the wind blowing through his tuft and across his shoulders. Beneath him, a crag of stone jutted out and water currents filtered into a small tide pool.
          Zasonar squinted his eyes out across the crystal waters and saw the burning ship in the distance. His ship. The one those wolves had stolen and taken captive. The pity of those creatures. Setting fire to a helpless ship.
          Zasonar shuffled his feet, brushing his soaked-through tunic and wringing it out upon the white sand. His sword lay beside him, tangled in a net of slimy seaweed. 
          Zasonar struggled to stand up straight, swaying as he turned to glance to the shoreline, then, to the sky. Black puffs of smoke billowed into the air. Flames snapped, devouring his ship as the last fighters hailed mightily.
          Then, something caught the Prince’s eye. A floating, black blob drifted in the distance.
          A survivor.
          The Prince stretched his arm, pain flaring. Bending down, he grabbed his blade and tore it free of the green webs, slipping it into his scabbard. Limping to the water’s edge, he plunged in.
          The waves felt cool on his face, washing the unbearable agony that coursed through his body.
          Creator, help me!
          The lone warrior-tod bobbed gently, almost dead. Diving under, the Prince drew his dagger and swiftly cut the bonds of this fellow brother-in-arms. Grabbing onto the tod, Zasonar dragged and pulled, desperate to get to shore.
          A large shadow spilt across the firmament as dozens of deadly arrows flew through the air. The tips shattered across the barrier of space, landing perfectly on their target: the Prince.
          He screamed, his hold on the unconscious tod slipping while the prickling sting of fire was doing its horrid work. The Prince knew these weapons as deadly. Even, some, working slow deaths that tortured the unfortunate victim. It was within the substance of the arrowhead that contained such a lethal cocktail. The arrow points were slathered with slick oil. An oil that was flammable. An oil that never could be drenched nor stopped once it lit on fire.
          The Prince kicked under the water, the weight of the other fox pushing him under. He could not save both him and this tod. It was impossible. Saying a silent prayer of forgiveness, Zasonar and the warrior slipped beneath the waves.

Zasonar’s paws grappled on thick scales, thick enough that no weapon could ever penetrate them. The chill was disturbing…yet somewhat peaceful.

Underneath, from who knows where a creature emerged. It was fast, grabbing the Prince and the survivor from the deepest of water’s depths and flinging them onto the sand.

Zasonar gasped, sea salt saliva sputtering off his tongue. He rolled onto the stones, trying to clear his head.

A rumble echoed through the empty treeline.
          “I rescued you. You are alive.”
          Zasonar sat up, leaning on his elbows, “Who are you?”
          “I am Leviathan. No fishhook can capture me. No weapon can hurt me. No one can tame me; but Creator and Creator alone. I leave my mark in the mud by the banks but show no one who I am. I am king over all who are proud. Yet, Creator rules over me still. I listen. I obey. I was sent to rescue you. And I did.”
          “Thank you…Leviathan.”
          The beast’s chest gurgled in acknowledgment, then, without a goodbye, the Leviathan slipped back under the dark abode in which it lived.

– from Prince Zasonar & the Beast of the Deep

lost but not alone

Kylie
          @livingwoodchronicles

Chapter 1 

“Hustle tods!” Shawn grunted as he threw his pack on the mossy earth. Stopping, he stuck his snout in the air. The scent of rain had muddled with something strange, danger perhaps? Shawn stole a glance backward to the three out-of-breath recruits and groaned. We are moving too slowly. Sighing, Shawn adjusted his bow and turned to face the others.
            “Let’s set up camp. Darwin, start a fire, not too big, we’re still in wolf territory. Bramble, collect bedding. Blaze, fill the water slings. I’ll get the food.”
            Shawn fastened his quiver to his back, dropped to all fours, and took off into the nearest clearing. Towering cedars dotted the swamp while thick masses of poplars shot out from the clumps of moss.
            A nearby woodcock alighted from its hiding place in the brush and the calming thump of a grouse hitting its wings against a log echoed through the swamp. Shawn dug his claws deep into the stringy red bark of a cedar and slowly made his way topside, jumping from tree to tree. He stopped at a wide branch and slumped down, bow resting in his paws. An odd feeling settled in his gut, nagging him. Why am I so worried? She has to be back by now, she has to be. He closed his eyes while rubbing the empty ache in his chest. The dens were only two days away and more and more Shawn found himself longing for Fenex and her determined spirit. Oh, Creator, give me the patience I need. My heart aches.
            A soft rustling in the bushes below drew Shawn’s attention. Shawn nocked an arrow and shot. A loud squeak echoed then a big hare fell to the mossy sod. Shawn secured his bow, slid down the trunk, and examined the kill. Clean and immediate death, perfect. Thank you, Creator, for the food of the forest. Slinging the rabbit over his shoulders, Shawn set off toward camp.
            The sun had dipped behind the tree line, its glowing rays casting the forest floor in a soft filtered light. About twenty paces from the camp he heard the laughter. The three trainees were gathered around a roaring fire. Didn’t I tell them to keep it small? We’re gunna get killed! Shawn watched from the forest edge, his ears trying to pin their conversation. I gotta train them better. 

“It was late one night, well I think it was night. We were bored again.” Blaze was standing, waving his arms dramatically. “Old Bucky got that look in his eyes again. He took off his loincloth, wrapped it around his head and began struttin’ round the cell.” Blaze stomped around the fire, “‘All hail King Bucky!’ He yelled. He wouldn’t stop! He just kept yelling orders down the corridor to the guards!” Blaze breathed in deep. “I figured, might as well play along. So, I tore off my tunic, wrapped it around my head and became the Queen!”
            There was a roar of laughter as Bramble nearly fell off the log he was sitting on. Darwin stood, slapping Blaze on the back.
            “Classic Blaze! It’s good to have you back buddy.”
            “Indeed it is.” Shawn said as he stepped out from the darkness.
            All three tods stiffened to attention. Darwin and Blaze stuttered excuses. Shawn folded his paws and glowered at the tods.
            “First, I said a small fire. Darwin, cover some of that in dirt. Second, I could hear your laughter for paces! Are you trying to get us all killed?!” Shawn turned to face a squirming Blaze and rolled his eyes. “I don’t bite Blaze, I’m not a savage. Stop squirming.” Blaze took a seat next to Bramble on a log. Shawn tossed his kill at Bramble, who caught it in midair and turned away to begin the prep work.
            Shawn sat down, extending his paws toward the warm fire. The atmosphere had dimmed significantly. Annoyed, Shawn tried to regain some feeling of normalcy.

“That was quite the tale Blaze, tell me,” Shawn nodded as Darwin accomplished putting out half the fire. “Who is that old tod? You say his name is Ol’ Bucky?”
            Blaze’s eyes turned dim. Stuttering out the first few words, Blaze swallowed and tried again.
            “His name is Buck, he goes by Ol’ Bucky though. He claims he was captured at the Battle of Four Fields and that he was a royal citizen to the Good King Buckthorn during his reign.”
            “He’s a good tod then? Beside going a touch cooky from years in captivity?”
            Blaze nodded. “I owe him my life. We all do. He gave us the chance to escape. Risked his own hide doing it.”
            “Brave old coot.” Bramble mumbled.
            “I made him a promise in those caves, and I intend to keep it…” Blaze’s words trailed off. Shawn saw the pain etched in Blaze’s eyes and knew he’d need some recovery time from what he’d endured. Best to get him home and in the care of the counselors. Clearing his throat, Shawn stood.
            “Two more days, tods. Let’s eat and turn in for the night. I’ll take first watch.”
            They gave thanks for the hare’s sacrifice, ate, and curled up in their respective bushes. Shawn preferred the trees for sleeping. Something about being in the canopy calmed him. Probably because of her. He climbed high into an aged poplar, yawning as the wind rocked him back and forth. The stress of the day melted as Shawn began to pray.
            “Creator,” he whispered, “please continue to bless this journey,” Shawn paused, opening his eyes to the vast expanse of the heavens. “You know my heart. My worries. Please comfort me. Guide me.” Shawn closed his eyes feeling sleep tug at his body. Creator, protect my Fenex.

Shawn quelled the churn in his gut, focusing on the path before him. With every step closer to the dens he felt this urge to start a better life. Maybe settle down with a couple of his own kits beside him. Shawn closed his eyes, the sharp scent of home tickling his snout. They were close.
            Behind him, Blaze and Darwin were babbling away about ‘new training protocols’ and whatnot.
            It’s gonna be a pain to get those two back into shape. Shawn glanced further behind his shoulder, letting out a huff. Bramble was lagging behind again, his demeanor controlled, steady. Shawn nearly tripped over a hidden snag as he let his attention wander. Bramble doesn’t think he’s ready. Shawn groaned. Creator, what am I to do with him? Shawn’s thoughts were cut off by a long, low ‘whoop’ as Darwin and Blaze cut off the trail and started leaping toward the dens. Shawn slapped a paw to his forehead. Ridiculous! He turned his attention to Bramble, who had trotted beside Shawn, picking at his paw, a frown settled over his features.
            “What now?” Bramble asked.
            Shawn snapped his head in Bramble’s direction, “What do you mean?”
            “The war. It’s coming. What do I do when I get back? We aren’t fighting like kits anymore. This is the real thing. I need to step up my game, Shawn. Fight as Roan would. Fight as my Da did.” Bramble rubbed his tuft. “What if I’m not ready, Shawn?”
            Stopping in his tracks, Shawn placed both paws on Bramble’s shoulders, gazing into Bramble’s eyes intensely.
            “You’ll never be completely prepared for what is at stake, Bramble. But you have something few other tods have. Humility instead of pride. And love for the enemy.” Shawn frowned. “I saw what you did back there in the caves. That healing slave you stuck in that wolf’s paw.”
            Bramble averted his eyes, “Shawn, it wasn’t…”
            “Don’t talk back to me, soldier. I wasn’t finished. What you did was insane, yes. Then again, maybe it was wise. You are a Hezekiah. Your family has been known to do some pretty crazy things, it’s no surprise you’ve taken after them. Tell me Bramble, what did your father tell you about the wars?”
            Bramble shrugged, “Not much. If at all. I didn’t know I still had extended family till Roan showed up. Da always said that me knowing little was better than if I had known everything. I think he just wanted to protect me from the world while he had the chance.”
            Shawn slowly nodded, “I suppose that’s one reason why you’re so soft. You aren’t adapted to the thought of war.”
            “I am not soft!” Bramble’s eyes narrowed.
            “Then why do you sneak out at the second meal and train with a dummy?”
            Bramble shifted his feet. “You know about that?”
            “You were bound to me by the oath; I’m here to sharpen you, not to harm you. Why do you hold back, Bramble? You have the potential!”
            Bramble cupped his snout in his paws, “I’m afraid, Shawn. There is so much evil out there; so much darkness. I’m not ready. I can barely stand when I start thinking about wielding a weapon against a fellow creature. I get jittery. Shaky. I don’t want to fight.”
            “Soldier,” Shawn scowled, “You’ve been enlisted in a battle we can’t fight alone. We need you, Bramble. We need every tod willing to stand alongside the Creator and the Cause. Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go Bramble, remember how far you’ve already come. Everything you’ve ever been through is building up to this one moment. It’s time to take that test, time to take that strength, and put it to good use. Strength becomes stronger in the moments when you can’t keep fighting but you keep fighting anyway. Understand? We need you. The King is expecting you on the battle lines right next to me.”
            Bramble wiped his eyes with the back of his paw, “Yes, sir.”
            Shawn rolled back his shoulders, looking back to the dens.
            “Come on, soldier. The cooks in the Mess Hall promised a hearty meal when we returned, and I don’t want to be late for that on account of you. Blaze and Darwin are probably already digging in as we speak. You know their big appetites. They probably won’t even leave us any if we keep standing around.”
            “Yeah!”

lost but not alone

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

@livingwoodchronicles GAH I NEED THE SECOND BOOOOOK *falls over dead from waiting XD* SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!

I ADORE THE LEVIATHAN PART!!! What u did taking that excerpt from Job (it is Job correct?) about the Leviathan. I SEE WHAT U DID THERE!!!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Kylie
              @livingwoodchronicles

@godlyfantasy12 To be completely honest with you; I NEED THE SECOND BOOK TOOO!!! So many people are DYING to read it and clawing at me to get it finished; I’m trying, girlfriend! I’m trying!!! October is the unofficial release date, but as I said before, I have so many plots to fill in!! And writing Shawn…*sighs* HE IS A PAIN RIGHT NOW! I can not tell you hoe hard it is to write him! But my favorite part is writing about F———-shoot, almost revealed the big surprise that will leave people crying XD. Oh well.

AND YUSSS!! The Leviathan part is crucial to this story (you’ll see later on!!! ) It’s from Job and Psalms, actually….I think there might be an excerpt from Enoch in there too.

lost but not alone

HighScribe
                @highscribeofaetherium
                  • Total Posts: 2212

@livingwoodchronicles

I started to read it… then I remembered that I haven’t read your first book yet and should probably avoid spoilers 😂 Darn it!! I’d better read that, fast.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Kylie
                  @livingwoodchronicles

@highscribeofaetherium 🤣 Yeah, best not to read spoilers lol. Btw!!! I LOVE all the foxes you draw and the art style you use!!!

lost but not alone

HighScribe
                    @highscribeofaetherium
                      • Total Posts: 2212

@livingwoodchronicles

Thx!! Foxes are just, like, the BEST!! They’re so adorable and yet also so graceful at the same time!!

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Kylie
                      @livingwoodchronicles

@highscribeofaetherium I agree!! They are very cute animals; but very cunning as well! That’s why I chose to write about them; I find the whole animal protagonist theme very intriguing!

lost but not alone

Euodia
                        @euodia-vision
                          • Total Posts: 1306

@livingwoodchronicles

GIRLLLLLLLLL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Kylie
                          @livingwoodchronicles

@euodia-vision You are ABSOLUTELY welcome ❤️❤️ Have you read the first novel??

lost but not alone

hybridlore
                            @hybridlore
                              • Total Posts: 1354

@livingwoodchronicles

Ooh awesome!!! ☺️ I actually haven’t read the first book, but this seems really interesting!! It kinda reminds me of Wingfeather Saga meets Warrior cats. If that makes sense 😂

There is always light behind the clouds.
                              - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Kylie
                              @livingwoodchronicles

@hybridlore Yup! That makes absolute sense!! Most people think it has more of a Redwall vibe, if you’ve ever read those 😉❤️

lost but not alone

hybridlore
                                @hybridlore
                                  • Total Posts: 1354

@livingwoodchronicles

No, I haven’t, but I just remembered a book called Pax which I think is sort of similar. Maybe just because it’s an animal, though 😅

Oh yeah, so what kind of animals are these?

There is always light behind the clouds.
                                  - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >