Finding You Critique (Will be continued Updates!)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests Finding You Critique (Will be continued Updates!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    KattheWriter
    @katthewriter
      • Total Posts: 103

@loopylin 😀 I’m working on adding the next chapter on here, which is a Roger chapter rn.

Never turn your back on a truce, because no one hesitates on an open opportunity to strike.

KattheWriter
      @katthewriter

(ahhh finally getting to chapters that don’t make me cringe on every single sentence. Get ready for Roger pain 🙁

(Tw- hallucinations/memories of lost loved ones, mentions of murder)

Chapter 8

Roger

I kneeled there, almost frozen in shock until she fell asleep. I felt numb, and tingly as I slowly rose to my feet. My legs felt stiff as I tiptoed out the door, closing it with a soft click.

I clenched my fists trying to stop my hands from shaking.

She was scared of me, terrified.

Like I was trying to kill her, horrified.

What had they done to her that made her like that?

The thought was too painful to even think about.

I walked back and forth from the kitchen to the living room, brows furrowed in concentration. How can I help her, when she won’t let me? She’s so terrified she almost stops breathing. So terrified. Of me. Like I was the scariest monster. Was I becoming one?

As I again passed through the kitchen my stomach rumbled, grumbling at me for not having fed it anything since breakfast. I stopped my pacing. Food. Did they give her any food at all? From the looks, and the feel of how light she was, answered that in the negative. Or they just barely gave her enough to keep from starving to death. She needed food.

Kneeling down, I looked through the boxes on the lower shelves. Potatoes. Carrots. Onions. And there was deer out in the back. Just enough things to make a stew.

Grabbing a large pitcher from the corner I headed out the back door, towards the large stone well. Without looking back, I knew Maggie was following me, by the click, click of her nails on the ground. Stopping at the well’s edge I looked down at Maggie. She sat down on her haunches, and whined softly, like she knew how much this was hurting me. I gently rubbed her slick black hair on her head, the scratching motion, mixing with her soft breaths, and the whistle of the wind relaxing me.

I moved my hands to the rope, lowering the bucket down to the water below. The bucket went in, making little splashes and ripples that made my reflection look different, like there was someone else on the other side pulling it up. I could see her, the dark brown wavy hair, and the prettiest green eyes, struggling to pull the bucket up she called for him.

“Roger… could you come and help…?”

I saw him walk over, young, neatly shaven, and well dressed. He put his hands over hers, pulling up the bucket of fresh water together.

As I pulled up the bucket, there was no other pair of soft hands helping me. There was no one. I was alone.

I held the bucket on the well’s edge, and took a scoop of water with the pitcher. Looking into it, again, I saw him. He saw her back turned to him. Talking to their small child of 4, it was the perfect opportunity. The child said “Thanks mommy!” And ran off, with the small black puppy following at her heels. Just as she turned around, he dumped the pitcher of water on her head. She yelled out, whacking him, and grabbing the whole bucket, pouring it on him, laughing. They looked at each other, dripping wet and both started laughing.

The corners of my mouth twisted slightly up, but faded as the pictures in the water did too. Picking the pitcher up, I headed back to the house. If I closed my eyes, I could almost feel the grip of her hand holding mine, and hear the light trotting of the daughter, with the puppy in tow. But only almost. Only the walk of the old faithful dog was near me.

I got out a big pot, pouring the water in. Moving over to the fire, I moved the logs around, to get it up, and wide awake. I could barely feel the heat of it. Can I not feel anymore? Is that how monsters are? 

Hanging the pot over the fire I went and pulling out the vegetables, starting to slice them up. I wasn’t good at cutting vegetables, they got all wonky shapes. She knew that.

“No Roger, that’s not how you do it.”

I looked up quickly, jaw dropping. “J-jane…?”

She took them from me, and showed me how to do it correctly.

I reached out to touch her, but she vanished. Not real. Not really there. Just a memory. They came back, you could see them, but you could never actually feel them. Like looking through a window at it, seeing it, but not ever able to actually feel it or go to it.

Swallowing back tears, I finished cutting up the vegetables, and started putting them in the pot over the fire. I went out back, collecting chunks of deer meat, cutting that up as well and taking it to the kitchen. My mind felt sort of fuzzy, like I was walking in slow motion, from no sleep in the last thirty hours. Plopping the meat in the pot, some water splashed out, a drip landing on my hand. I jerked my hand back, expecting the sting. Looking down I saw a red mark starting to appear, but I couldn’t feel a thing.  Do monsters not feel pain?

I threw an extra piece of meat into Maggie’s bowl. She, even in her old age of 9, sprang to her feet, and went over to quickly devour the tasty meat. I settled down on the floor near her. I did not feel up to, or even want to think about eating. Is not eating something monsters do?

I rubbed my thumb along the wood floor, trying to think of something else as I waited on the stew. My eyes traveled to my sword. The one who had shed blood last night and had made it where that person would never be seen again. Alive. Wasn’t that what monsters are? Bloodthirsty villains who kill anyone in their way? Monsters that give you horror, a monster that is terrifying..

“Stop!” I shouted, banging my fist down onto the ground, shaking my head, trying to force the words to get out of my mind.

I winced hoping I had not woken up the girl. How could I be so careless…? Were monsters so easy to anger?

I felt something like a rock landing in my stomach, my mind flying back to many years ago. The young man was sitting here studying a map, trying to figure out where the men were from that he had seen near the river. Interrupting his deep thoughts was the small voice from the curly headed girl at my feet saying for the millionth time, “Can we go? Can we go?” Her voice banging in my head. “C’mon daddy, you promised we’d go in just a second, well now it’s up! So, can we go? Can we go!?”

“Stop!” he yelled, throwing down his fist on the ground. The girl had jumped, and cringed, fear coming to her eyes for the first time in the line of her father. She made a small nod, and ran to her mother.

I felt my chest ache, hurting for her. I didn’t mean to…

The mother had whispered, but loud enough for him to hear. “It’s okay darling, daddy’s dealing with some hard stuff right now, he just needs some time.  C’mon. I’ll take you to find some flowers.”

They walked out, hand and hand, as the man pressed his face into his hands.

I got up quickly, realizing the stew was boiling, and started to stir it, everything was starting to look done. Sitting the spoon down, I found two bowls, a larger one, and a smaller one. Throwing in some salt and pepper into the pot, I stirred it again. Picking up the big bowl, I spooned out food into it, until it was full to the rim. Then I filled up the small bowl, about halfway full.

I slowly carried it to her room, sneaking in, setting the steaming large bowl on a chair beside her, with a spoon. Tiptoeing to the wardrobe, I found a dress that looked like it would fit her, and the proper undergarments. She needed something that was made for a girl to wear. Folding those, I silently sat them on the chair by the stew and back out of the room. I would help her, feed her, take care of her, and protect her. But I would not let her see me.

I looked at her one last time before closing the door. She already has enough monsters in her life. She doesn’t need another. 

( Song suggestion to go with this– Man or a Monster by Sam Tinnesz ft. Zayde Wolf)

@power

@orielle21

@loopylin

Never turn your back on a truce, because no one hesitates on an open opportunity to strike.

Power
        @power
          • Total Posts: 292

Ah! Madness! Insanity! Lunacy! I think chapter 8 was quite well written! (A tad confusing at parts, but we’ll written!) As one of my poems says,

Let’s go places that don’t exist

Let’s do things that don’t make sense

Frolicking in this madness, YESSSS!

My lunacy is ridiculoussss.

😬

Please pardon this outburst. I had 2 shots of espresso at 6-7 something, and now at 2:30 am it is starting to wear off. 🙂🙃🙂😐😔😴

You will love what you spend time with.

Orielle2023
          @orielle21
            • Total Posts: 173

@katthewriter

Getting interesting. I do need to refresh my memory on who Roger is. Sorry…I’ve been super busy the last few days

@power

Please pardon this outburst. I had 2 shots of espresso at 6-7 something, and now at 2:30 am it is starting to wear off. 🙂🙃🙂😐😔😴

Lol. Love it.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

KattheWriter
            @katthewriter

@power @orielle21

Sorry I fell off the face of the earth,  really busy with writing later chapters of this and working with the new KP stuff launching,  and starting a new biz.

Anyway, thank you for your sweet words and encouragement, and when I get home on my computer I’ll add 3 more chapters!

Sorry for the long wait,  I’ll try to update twice a week till I catch up to where I am at chapter 32 😀

~Kat

Power
              @power
                • Total Posts: 292

@katthewriter

NP, I recommend next time sitting on Earth’s shoulder, or better yet, in one of it’s Mother Nature’s pockets. It’s a lot harder to fall from those positions.

You will love what you spend time with.

KattheWriter
                @katthewriter

(TW-  attacked/beat up)

Chapter 9

Nathaniel

I watched in horror as the men kicked and punched her again and again. “Stop! Stop hurting her!” I cried, struggling to get away from the two men holding me to watch the horrible scene.

Again, the man’s fist slammed into her jaw, and another cry escaped her bleeding lips. She laid crumpled on the ground, bleeding and bruised.

Tears brimmed in my eyes. “P-please!” I choked on a sob. “Hurt me instead! Just please stop hurting her!”

The man glared at me. “Shut up boy! She’s a worthless nothing!” He struck her again in the head. With a small cry she slumped to the ground unconscious.

Tears poured down my face, blurring my vision. “GRACE! No!!”

I jerked awake, gasping for breath. Looking around frantically, the walls of my small shack came into focus. I sat up quickly, my heart slamming in my chest.

That had never happened. Grace dreams were always good and happy…never horrible nightmares. What if…what if that’s how she’s really treated? What if there’s someone over her as cruel as that man? I shuddered at the thought, those dark eyes, the grin, as if he was so much enjoying the pain he was causing her.

She’d already been through so much. I bit my lip, trying to fight the pictures in my head, but I could see it all as clear as glass. Grace screaming for them to let her go, as they pulled her towards their big black van already packed full with kids. Mom crying. Dad struggling to hold my kicking and flailing eight-year-old self from trying to attack the man.

I could hear it all too. Dad whispering to me “N-No…No, Nate. Violence will make it worse. They’ll take her either way. You have to stand strong like a man f-for h-her.” And the way his voice flattered at the end. Mom’s pained breath in between her sobbing echoed in my head. Grace’s muffled cries as the van door slammed shut. The bangs as she hit the window as they drove off, as if she could still escape from their clutches.

I remember the rip of pain that I felt in my chest as I saw my little sister get torn out of my life, struggling in vain from the firm grip holding me back. As the van disappeared in a cloud of dust, I  had turned around yelling “You must hate Grace! How could you let them take her away?!”

I now, 10 years later remember the things that my 8 year old self didn’t see, or acknowledge the existence of those things. The way they tore her favorite belonging off her neck, throwing the heart of gold on the ground. The guns at the men’s side.  The pained expressions on my parent’s face, showing how much this was killing them. That they were screaming and shouting for them to let her go on the inside.

My dad was right to hold me back, I probably would’ve got myself killed trying to stop them, and then they would’ve still taken her.

I quickly wiped my hand across my eyes. And if I had died, she would be forever alone, with no one to take care of her.

The form of the man who had dragged her away ten years ago came back to my mind. Hard, and quick to strike out or yell. And then the man in my dream. Harsh, cruel, and striking out just for his pleasure.

Was that the kind of people she’s with? If so, she has been forever alone and no one to take care of her. And now she is alone, with no one to take care of her.

The words of my father echoed in my head ‘Stand strong like a man for her.’ But this time it wasn’t a whisper, it was louder, a command.

I pressed my lips together and sat up straighter. She didn’t need me in the sometime future, she needed me now.

I got up, and started packing my things, letting the determination push away the sleepiness. Stand Strong. Stand Strong. Stand strong for Grace.

“Money, locket, pants, shirts, socks…” I said each checking it off of my mental checklist as I put the less important things in my backpack, and the more important things in the small satchel I could carry close on my side. I needed to go by a store to get food for a while, and water. Maybe some gloves? Winter was drawing near. Maybe a jacket for Grace.

Store? “Oh…no.” I glanced down at the newest envelope full of money. This was a months’ worth, and the month isn’t over. I can’t leave yet…but Grace needed me.

I could take the money–he did give it to me early—and I’m sure Mr. Collin’s wouldn’t mind… I felt a nag in my stomach. How could I do that after all that they had done for me?

I made up my mind, throwing the last remainings in my backpack and zipping it up, I would go by The Collin’s house and give him back the extra money. Plus, that would help with buying stuff. The best shop to get it from would be his store.

Zipping up my backpack, I put it on my back, and put my satchel bag over my head. I walked out the door opening with the same familiar squeak. I let my eyes travel down the alley way, then back to my shack.

I had been crying, I was cold, and I was running from the footsteps behind me. Social workers, or doctors who had told me I had to leave and make sure I didn’t have the deadly germs of yellow fever that was still in our house.

I rubbed my thumb against the outside wall that was worn from years of hard weather. “Thank you.” I whispered. “Thank you for hiding me, and protecting me on that day three years ago and from then on. You who looked so wobbly and weak, like you would cave in at any time stood so strong for me.” I pulled my hand away and turned my back on what had been my home.

I walked towards town, the first signs of dawn showing. The cloud coverage moved back, as if to let you see the lightning colors of pink and orange. It was like a promise, that the thick clouds of doubt and fear would soon move back and uncover the beautiful promise that she would be found. And like the sun coming up, the finding would brighten everything, and warm everyone.

KattheWriter
                  @katthewriter

(TW- our villain, threats of violence, mention of injury)

Chapter 10

General Seznick

I tapped my pen against the wall, as I went over our plan for leaving.

“Why couldn’t those commanders write in proper English, or with a legible handwriting?” I growled under my breath, as I strained my eyes to read the smudged words before me.

Tossing my pen aside I got up, and rolled the papers and maps up, laying them in a cabinet nearby my desk. I walked across the room thinking of the newest reports about my X. She seemed to be progressing badly. She had been worse with working, and missed line up time, or showing up late multiple times. My messenger brought me word last night that for not coming for line up till three buzzers, she got cut and thrown out for a night, and had a soldier go beat her up. I smiled. She must be hurting, and broken now, coming back to the camp. Just in the place I wanted her.

“And right time too.” I mumbled leafing through the pages of calendars from three years ago. This time I wouldn’t miss it. It wouldn’t escape from me. She has to be here when it happens.

Walking past my shelves, I stopped, picking up the bottle full with the ashes from three years ago. He had been more powerful than I had imagined. Burning everything in sight.

Setting the bottle down, I headed back towards my desk. Settling in my chair with a soft squeak, I picked up her file again. None of my spies could find more information about anyone related to her. It was like they vanished off the face of the earth. Looking at her picture, I had to admit, she was a lot prettier when she was younger. But she didn’t have to be pretty to be my warrior.

“General Seznick!” The door flew open with a loud bang and my messenger ran in.

Closing the file, I stood up to my full height glaring down at the boy “Henry! What did I tell you about not storming in, but waiting until I say you may enter?!”

He shrank back, and took a bow. “I-I’m s-sorry s-sir. B-but they said it was an u-urgent message.”

I nodded. “Very well, I’ll let this one pass.”   I inwardly frowned. What in the world has happened now?  “Well, what is it?”

The dark-haired boy fidgeted, then looked up to me. “I am supposed to give you word that the X has not returned, and that scouts cannot find any trace of her, or the man that was told to beat her up.”

“What?!” No! This one can’t slip out of my grasp! The last one ran away at about this time too. WE MUST FIND HER.  

I slammed my fist down on the table, so hard everything on it bounced. Anger boiled up inside me. “Well, tell Commander Shortez to start a search immediately! To the West, South, North, and East! And if that man and the girl are not found in the next Sun down, I’ll kill all of you idiots!” I roared, cursing him.

“You don’t come back to me until you have that girl! Do you hear me?!” I grabbed my knife and threw it, landing with a thunk inches from the boy’s head.

He flinched, and nodded. “Y-yes s-s-sir!” He shakily saluted.

“Now, leave!” I chucked a book at him.

He ducked and scurried out the door.

“Ugh!” I slammed my fists into the table again. What if she got away…?  

NO.  She won’t. I dug my fingernails into my hands. It didn’t matter who I needed to take out to get the job done. I’d kill them all if I needed. All that was important was getting my X back.

Picking up my pencil I squeezed it. Seeing the flames in my head. The burning smell of my own flesh.

No. She won’t get away this time. And she’ll pay for running off like this. I cracked the pencil in half, a smile lightening my face.

And when I find her, she’s going to wish she had never been born.  

KattheWriter
                    @katthewriter

@power sorry it took so long, and thank you! There is two new chapters and i’ll add more soon 👀

LOL yes, i’ll do that next time.

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 8156

@katthewriter. I just read all 10 chapters…last night and this morning. So sorry about not getting to it sooner!😅

But wow, girl!!!! I love it!!!! I feel so bad for everyone!!!! 😭😭😭 (except for Seznick…but also…he’s really intriguing me right now. 😅😏)

But I love it!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

You don’t have to listen to me at all, but I was thinking (for future drafts) it might be helpful to have memories/dreams/flashbacks/etc in italics or something, only because I got confused at times on what was going on. 😅 But of course, you can totally forget about this! 🙂

Either way, I love the story and the charries and can’t WAIT to see what happens next!!! ❤️🥰

Seznick is creeping me out tho…😬 But I think he’s supposed to! 🤣

KattheWriter
                        @katthewriter

@freedomwriter76

lol, you’re good! And THANK YOU 😊

And yes, most of the time it is, but KP likes to un italic and it’s annoying. Only sometimes it isn’t and those instances might be to confuse you on purpose 👀

Thanks again!!

And yes, he’s supposed to and everyone hates his guts, as they should lol.

I’ll go ahead and add a couple more chapters. But no rush, get to them whenever. 🙂

KattheWriter
                          @katthewriter

(TW- er, nagative self talk/depression?)

Chapter 11

X392

I kept my eyes closed, pretending I was asleep, until the door closed softly behind him. Opening my eyes, I saw on the chair next to me a steaming bowl of something. It smelled wonderful, nothing like the mush at the camp. Pulling the bowl down on my lap, I slowly stirred it up, trying to figure out what was inside. Carrots? Potatoes? And some sort of… no, it can’t be… but it looked like it was…meat.

Was this for someone else? Even for the soldiers, meat was special. But I’m not a soldier. Just a stupid X. Glancing around the room that was ten times larger than my lean to, I looked for someone else who could be more deserving of this meal. But there was no one.

With my hands shaking slightly, I took the spoon, and took a hesitant bite of the soup. Immediately, flavor washed through my mouth. Flavors I forgot existed–when all I had was bland–swirled in my mouth. The savory flavor in my mouth got stronger, as I chewed, and stayed in my mouth as I swallowed.

“Mmm.” I had never tasted anything so good.

I took another bite, and another, letting the new tastes take me to places I’ve never been, and the heat of it to warm my achy cold body. I closed my eyes, slightly letting my muscles relax for once. It felt amazing.

With a small sigh, I opened my eyes. Who were these people who were treating me with food fit for a king? Looking over I noticed there was something else on the chair. Something light blue. Sitting my half-eaten stew to my side, I slowly, and painfully sat up on my knees to see what it was.

It was clothing, folded up nicely. I picked it up, and it unfolded, showing its true self. A dress. I gasped; I hadn’t ever seen anything so beautiful. The blueprint was all over, with pretty white buttons down the front, and white lace around the top, and around the sleeves.

“Is this for me?” I barely whispered. How could that be? I hadn’t been allowed to wear a dress in years. And if I had been, it would never be anything this beautiful.

Glancing around to see if this new treasure belonged to someone else, I gently rubbed the soft fabric. I think that somehow, in this strange place, they must think I’m something, so they gave this to me.

Sitting it back at its spot, I used the chair for support to help me stand up. It hurt, but my excitement with this new treasure motivated me to do so anyway. I started to pull off my shirt, but then stopped hearing a noise outside the door. I quickly pulled it back down, waiting for someone to enter. I tensed up. Maybe they would take my two treasures. I didn’t deserve them.

The noise moved away to a different part of the house. I sighed. I was safe with my treasures, for at least a little longer.

I picked back up the dress. There was no way for me to know if someone or something else would burst in at any time. So, I slipped the dress over my other clothes, just in case.

I thought about what had happened. The soft voice, and gentle touch is what perplexed me but at the same time comforted me. It was so different from what I have had all my life—that is, what all I remember having—and it was different in a good way. Was the one who did that the one who gave me the food and dress? I wanted to know more about this person.

But I didn’t. Days passed by, and still I knew nothing about him. I would say he was kind, and generous, because three times a day he would come and bring me meals and drinks, but he never showed any feelings of kindness. At first, I was afraid of him, so big and tall, but he didn’t do anything, other than bring things I needed. He would walk in, a cloak on, his face just a shadow, never showing how he was underneath.

My curiosity took over after the fear faded. Who was he? What was he like? Was he comforting? I thought so, when he first touched me, but he has never again touched me in any way in these four days that have passed. Why won’t he talk? If I say thank you, he just nods. Was he worried he’d hurt me? I didn’t know. And so that’s what kept me thinking in my free time.

A feeling I was very used to started sinking in now. That empty feeling inside me, the ache in my chest. Loneliness. The way I try to make other things, like food, or some other object your friend, so that I can cut out the echoes more. But it didn’t work. My thoughts echo off empty walls in my brain, there was no one to talk to. I was still alone.

Yes, the kind man gave me everything I could want, clothes, food, nice room. But it still lacked something. Something that without it, made me ach inside. Like an empty hole inside me, that had gotten bigger, and bigger every day that I pass without it. Not even knowing if there was anything that could fill it. Or if anyone would. Who would want to help a stupid X like me?

I swallowed hard, but no tears formed in my eyes. It seemed like the lack of this thing made it hard to feel, like someone hit the off switch on my emotions. I gazed down at the ground.

I’m hollow.

Broken.

Empty.

Worthless.

KattheWriter
                            @katthewriter

(TW- fight scenes, un-aliving people)

Chapter 12

Roger

I got up out of my bed for the seventh time in the last hour. Sleep would not come. I paced back and forth across the room. The girl stayed in my mind. What was I supposed to do? Just keep her?

They had hurt her in so many ways. I couldn’t just let her go. I swallowed hard as my feet traveled back to the door, then away. I had to protect her from ever being hurt again. From anyone else. I bit my lip. Or from me.

Glancing at the window, I saw it was still pretty dark, the slightest bit of light coming from the not yet risen sun. One thing was for sure, I couldn’t sleep, and if I couldn’t sleep why stay in here at all, where I am just at war with myself fighting in-between my past and reality? I walked out the door, with a soft tread.

Maggie, who had been still sleeping, opened an eye and looked up at me, and closed them back. She had done a lot in her long life, she deserved to sleep even when I could not.

Setting some logs in the fireplace I struck a match, and started them ablaze to warm the chilly kitchen. I sighed, seeing that that was the last of the cut firewood. With everything happening I must have forgotten to cut more.

I could go get more now. I started out then stopped. Wait… But wasn’t it almost breakfast time? Wouldn’t the girl be anxious if she woke up without the breakfast she had every morning? I walked softly over to her door, and listened. I didn’t hear anything. She must have been asleep. I could just go grab some firewood real quick, not a ton, but enough for a couple days, then hurry back and have breakfast made before she even knows I was gone.

“Yes.” I said softly. That is what I’ll do.

Leaving Maggie with her, I slipped out the back door, grabbing the ax that leaned against the wall, and set it over my shoulder. I breathed deeply as I started out into the woods, a pale pink starting to light up the sky. I stepped lightly but surely through the woods, knowing where every rock and tree was, and would at no account stumble or run into any even in the low light.

Finding a small tree that looked right, I started chopping. The ax slicing into the tree echoing with a nice ring that helped me relax. A sigh of relief flowed through me, my muscles and joints held tight from stress loosening up.

Letting the ax fly into the wood again with a thunk, I stopped. Was it just the echo or had I heard something? Stopping, I held my breath and listened. Birds chirped to each other, and squirrels chattered. I grabbed the ax and pulled it out, shrugging off the tenseness rising back in me. It was probably just a deer or other animals waking up.

Lifting the ax again, I suddenly dropped to the ground. An arrow whizzed over my head, striking the tree I was cutting down. I sighed. These deer hunters needed to be more careful.

“Hey, I’m not a deer. Just cutting a tree down.” What did they think I was, a bear? “And this is my land.” I added, not to scare them off, but I know some would probably want to shoot me if they thought I was doing it on someone else’s land.

No reply came. I frowned.

“Hello?” Till no reply. I slowly got up, eyes searching the bushes. A knot started to tighten in my stomach. If this wasn’t some young hunter…

Two more arrows came hurtling towards me, jumping out of the way of one, I grabbed the second, and threw it to the ground. Grabbing the ax, I ran straight towards where those had come.

“Show yourselves you scoundrels!” I yelled, mind whirling. Why on earth had soldiers from the camp come at this hour, and why weren’t they acting like they usually did?

I ducked behind a tree that took the arrow meant for me. They were in a tree.

Stepping out of the safety of the trees I threw the ax at one of the men. It hit its mark right in the middle, and he and it fell to the ground with a scream. I circled the tree which held the other. He didn’t shoot every time I slightly showed myself like I thought he would, an archer only has so many arrows, and he seemed to know this, unlike the foolish soldiers.

I whirled as a sharp thump landed behind me. Another had been in the tree, who had jumped down and he had a sword. Flashing a wicked grin of satisfaction, he jabbed his sword at me. I jumped back, his sword only cutting bits of cloth instead of me. I whipped around a tree, grabbing a large stone, and chunked it at him. He ducked, but I saw his plan, leading me towards the archer. If only I had my sword.

As his sword came towards me, I grabbed a log and used it to block. His sword got stuck in it, grunting a swear as he tried to pull it from my grip and the log. Jerking it away, I took the sword with still the log attached at the end, and chunked it up and knocked the archer out of the tree right as he let go of an arrow straight at me.

I smiled. I had missed the art of using what you had to save your life. I grabbed the arrow out of the air, letting it’s momentum stay with a turn, and I let it go right into the sword less man. He doubled over in pain, groaning by his men who lay motionless beside him.

“Who are y-”

The words stopped in my mouth as a scream reached my ears. I knew that scream. It was the girl.

“No!”

Jerking the sword from the log, I sprinted towards the house. I had to get there in time. I couldn’t be too late. Not again.

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 8156

@katthewriter AHHHHHHHHHH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT A CLIFFHANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

(in all seriousness tho, these chapters just keep getting better and better 😍😍😍 Roger has to be my fav so far XD)

I NEED MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Please? 😇

XD

KattheWriter
                                @katthewriter

@freedomwriter76

sorryyy I’ve been nonexistant. I’m 7 chapters away from being done with this so i’ve been very busy. (this is way behind how much there actually is but now that i’m less busy for the summer i’ll try to update more.)

(No warnings)

Chapter 13

Nathaniel

“It’s okay Nate…It’s just the woods.” I said quietly to myself. “Nothing to be afraid of.” I swallowed hard as I continued deeper in.

“It’s just some trees.” Trees that blocked out the sun, thick walls on every side. Trees that creaked and groaned behind me.

“That make some shadows.” Shadows that covered me, as if they were trying to swallow me up.

I jumped as a croak of a crow echoed behind me. Pushing the long, bony finger branches out of the path, I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. Stumbling over a root I barely caught myself on a tree. Darkness was coming quickly.

I pocketed my compass and stumbled through the dark woods, until I finally came to a small clearing. There were bushes around the edges of the trees, but at least enough space for a small fire. It was like someone had made this spot. The ground even went down a little, a perfect spot for the fire. With a sigh I settled to the ground, hoping a fire would make everything seem so much less frightening.

Taking out the sticks I had collected earlier, I set them up in the hole. Striking a match, I threw it in with the smaller sticks, and it went out. I sighed and glanced up at the sky as a cloud started covering the full moon, darkness enveloping me even more. Again, I struck a match, and this time it slowly lit onto a small branch. Blowing on it, it slowly started to lick onto the others, and get a little bigger. I sighed with relief, settling back, onto sitting on the cool ground.

Opening my satchel, I took a small piece of dried meat, and bread, chewing on it while I watched the fire slowly grow. The flames reaching up and out, eager to grow, burning brighter and hotter. Though I had the fire before me, behind me the sounds, and creatures continued. What kind of creatures were out there? The fire brightened this small clearing, but more into the trees lay a curtain of darkness, hiding whoever, or whatever animal. Trees rustles and groans, owls screeches, cricket squeaks, and some noises that I didn’t know what they were.

Maybe if I laid down I could get some sleep? I sat down the rest of my bread, and laid down looking up at the sky. The clouds covered almost all of the moon. Like swallowing it up, so it could never shine again.

A rustling sound came from the trees on my left. I glanced that way, swallowing hard. It was probably just an owl. Or a bunny. Right? The rustling came closer, it was louder, thud, thud, thud, it went. I sucked in a sharp breath; I could see a huge outline of something through the bushes. My heart slammed in my chest, it parted through the bushes, coming towards the light. It was a massive beast, it had four legs with giant claws, small ears, and eyes, large snot and mouth. My whole body went rigid. It was a bear.

The bear came closer and closer to me. Five feet away, now four, two, and at about one foot away it stopped. It was smelling along the ground, it’s harsh breathing echoing in my ears. Was it going to attack me? I knew I’d have no chance against a huge beast like that.

It stepped closer, and a little closer. I held my breath, body rigid as I waited for it to sink its claws into me. It’s dark eyes bore right through me. He put his head near mine, his hot breath blowing in my face.

Tears pressed against the back of my eyeballs, chest tight from holding my breath as I silently pleaded for the bear to leave.

Please. I’m trying to find my sister, please let me live. I’m all she has.

Turning its head to the side, It slowly turned, nose twitching with a smell. I managed to quietly let out my breath, then taking another to hold. The bear found what it was smelling, my extra bread. Picking it up in its mouth it slowly walked away. The rustling and the thud, thud, thud getting quieter and fainter.

I let out the breath I had been holding, relief flooding through my system. I had never seen a bear, only heard about it.

I slowly sat up, trying to stop trembling. Death had brushed my shoulder, or rather literally smelled my face.

It’s okay. I’m okay. Deep breaths Nate. I took slow deep breaths, trying to slow my churning mind, and panicked rhythm-less heartbeat. What if it had tried to attack me? I would’ve been no match for it. And Grace would’ve been left alone. I swallowed hard thinking back to my dream about her. Those men looked as strong as bears. How could I stop them? I couldn’t.

So, what was I going to do…? I wasn’t a fighter. I had never been a fighter. Would I find Grace just to be held down and lose her again?

The panic, the desperation, the dread that I had felt came welling back inside me, a sob catching in my throat. I couldn’t lose her again. I would learn how to protect myself, and her.

But how?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >