Filling in the gaps?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Filling in the gaps?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

@notawriter Yep. Especially since I get to melt @daeus ‘ throne when I’m done with it. *eats his frozen raspberries and ice cream too*
      😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@notawriter Actually, for that particular story I had basically nothing figured out.  Really all I had were the characters, who my sister already knew because it was a sequel to another book which she had read, and I knew the setting.  So I said something like “It’s got to be set in the 1880s, and I can’t stand the 1880s!  Why would my characters decide to go through the time travel machine to that time?  It was so boring!”  So she said “Why don’t you give Margret a dog?” as a joke, and then all of a sudden we were able to work out the whole thing! 😀  (If you want to know, MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD we decided the dog went through the machine before it was completely set up, meaning it accidentally went to the 1880s and the characters had to go through to that time to find the dog. 🙂 )  Don’t ask me why it had to be set in the 1880s.  That’s a really long story… 😉

@dragon-snapper
        Yes!  My sister is amazing!  Even when she says really random stuff like giving my characters totally irrelevant dogs. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@notawriter I personally think everyone is different. It usually takes me a long time to come up with a plot and character and everything too. But when I have some time, I’ll sit myself down and go over what needs more. I use the ‘what if’ question a lot, some answers may be ridiculous but others might end up being cool plot twists.

But I would be careful about pushing yourself too hard, because whenever I do that I end up getting tired of my story really quick. That may be just me though.

I hope this made sense 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

The fledgling Artist
          @notawriter
            • Total Posts: 328

@jenwriter17 Yeah that’s good advice.. Ill have to remember to go easy on myself. 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

and I was so confused

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 95

@notawriter, I think @dragon-snapper really nailed it.

For me, I like using a story mountain and the first thing I do is write my beginning middle and end points (if I know them).  Honestly, I like the brainstorming bit the best because it’s a lot of thinking. Sometimes (like with my trilogy) the story just kinda flowed and I followed it only knowing a few points. A lot of times I will ask myself questions. Someone mentioned talking out loud, sound boarding was the word I think. Being a talker, I do that often. I start with a question and just talk. I usually record myself so I have the thought stuff and then write it down later. Or if you can find a family member and subject them to your babbling that is another way. However, I have noticed that when it comes to writing large things (like my trilogy) I let the characters lead and I took the position of the first time reader as I was writing. I didn’t know how it was going to go and sometimes that is the best. Have a vague idea and then let the story take the reins. Good Luck!

The fledgling Artist
              @notawriter
                • Total Posts: 328

@inkling-for-christ Thanks! Wow you guys are so helpful! <3 *rewards your helpfulness with chocolate covered raspberries*

and I was so confused

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              >