Figuring out how to forge friendships between two characters

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Figuring out how to forge friendships between two characters

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Trailblazer
    @trailblazer
      • Total Posts: 590

Hey guys!

I’ve been struggling a bit with finding a good way to form a bond between two of my characters who don’t initially click.

For context, it’s a historical fiction set in the late 1800s. The story kicks off when my MC, Libbie Hopkins, moves from central Pennsylvania (her family has roots there from the American Revolution, which is in connection with a different story I started) to a frontier town in Nebraska. Her family is traveling with another family, the Cullivers, and this is when she is first introduced to Etta, who is close to her in age. As of right now, the beginning of my story is a little weak, because I have a lot more fleshed out after they’re living in Nebraska. Once they’re in Nebraska, the girls are best friends, but I haven’t figured out how to get them from point A to point B. When they first meet, Etta is really quiet and shy and keeps to herself most of the time, so Libbie finds it hard to connect with her. I need a good link, something that happens, that brings them together, probably while they’re traveling to Nebraska, to show how they formed a strong bond. (Their friendship is just one arc in the whole story, but it’s the one thing I’ve been struggling to piece together lately)

So if anyone has any good ideas of something to bring them together, especially something that would be relevant to that time period, please drop your ideas in here!

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Cloaked Mystery
      @jonas
        • Total Posts: 2624

@trailblazer

Have you tried any KP articles? There are some good ones on this topic.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
        ✨ Magic System Creator
        🎭 Character RPer
        📚 Appreciator of Books

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer

@jonas

I saw one of the articles (which was actually how I discovered KP) but I still couldn’t think of something. Maybe I’ll go back and look at it again, and try to find some other ones, and brainstorm from there.

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas
            • Total Posts: 2624

@trailblazer

Ok. I don’t really have any personal experience in this area, so I don’t have any other advice.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

Sara
            @savannah_grace2009
              • Total Posts: 1977

@trailblazer

Well sometimes friendships start out with the two people HATING each other, and that’s what’s happened to me several times actually. Then, one step at a time, they start being a little nicer, for example, talking to one another, or sitting by them at lunch, or stuff like that.

You definitely don’t have to use my ideas you don’t want to (obviously)  but this is just what I’ve experienced in my life. Hope you figure it out, writer’s block can be HARD!

Lukas&Livia
              #Lalbert
              Sef&Chase
              #HOTTOLINE
              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009
                • Total Posts: 1977

@trailblazer

another thing I’ve learned is that if I pray that Jesus will give me the words and inspiration to write what He wants me to write, than the words come a lot easier as He helps me overcome obstacles with my writing. Good luck!

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

That is true! I easily forget to pray before I sit down to write, but I want to make it more of a habit!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >