Favorites?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Announcement. The Death Of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy is officially recommended. The first chapter doesn’t particularly stand out in my opinion, but it is fine and the rest of the book is very good. It is also a short read. The theme is mortality and it has some great wit and a great ending.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Hey guys, has anyone on here read The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo? I haven’t, but I’m loving Les Miserables to BITS and I’ve been wanting to read it. I thought I’d get others’ opinions before I do, though, because unfortunately I’ve learned that classical authors can write inspiring masterpieces AND complete junk. :/

@Daeus
        @The-Happy-Bookaholic @Hope @Aratrea @Christi-Eaton

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

@kate-flournoy No, I’ve not read The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I’ve not read Les Miserables either, though my sister has… Right now I want to get my hands on The Count of Monte Cristo and read that sometime this fall/winter.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
          @daeus

@kate-flournoy I actually just finished reading it recently. I wouldn’t say it’s complete junk, but I wouldn’t recommend it either. Main reason is the ending was incredibly disappointing, which is almost funny because the whole reason I read it was because someone told me he thought the ending was amazing. It wasn’t. It was supposed to be tragic, but I had next to no emotion in it at all. And that wasn’t because there wasn’t enough backstory to make it tragic — the author should have been able to pull off something amazing — but I felt like it was a complete flop. There was also no apparent theme to the book whatsoever except one tiny little theme that could have just as easily been shown with a single chapter. On top of that, one chapter has some content that I would consider erotic.

So yeah… not on the top of my list you might say.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Christine Eaton
            @christi-eaton
              • Total Posts: 306

@kate-flournoy I’m glad you are reading Les Miserables I absolutely love that book. I’m actually going to be in a non-musical version of the play this February. I’m hoping to play Madame Thenardier.
              Anyway, I haven’t read the Hunchback of Notre Dame, all I know of the storyline is the Disney version and that is well… interesting.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

Oh wow @Daeus, really… I’m glad I asked. Here’s my question though. How can the author who wrote Les Miserables write anything either soulless or themeless????? How is that even physically possible?? Grrrrrr… classical authors are so contradictory. 🙁

Yes @Christi-Eaton, Les Mis is definitely one of my favorites. But… uh… Madame Thenardier?? Heh… if you say so. 😛 Couldn’t you choose, say, Eponine or something? Or does playing the brute appeal more to your sense of drama? 😀
                I must admit I’m a tad jealous, though. I would love to be in a play someday. 😉

@Hope
                definitely read Monte Cristo. (I can’t believe @Daeus didn’t hammer that into you seeing he posted after you did. 😀 ) It’s a great book.

Christine Eaton
                @christi-eaton
                  • Total Posts: 306

@kate-flournoy Haha! I love playing the crazy ones, and I’d also love to be Eponine. But honestly I don’t care what character I get, I just love all of Les Miserables and I already feel like I know most of the characters pretty well. 🙂

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Daeus
                  @daeus

@kate-flournoy Slept on the wrong side of the bed of course. Everybody knows beds are monsters waiting to eat you. That’s why children are afraid of the dark. Can’t believe you didn’t know that. 🙁 ?

@hope
                    Hammer hammer hammer sledge hammer jack hammer bomb. There go read the book.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Josiah DeGraaf
                    @aratrea
                      • Total Posts: 717

@kate-flournoy: Haven’t read Hunchback of Notre Dame yet, so I have no opinions to share. =P I actually haven’t really read any of Victor Hugo, just seen the movie for Les Mis… >.> I should probably work on changing that eventually!

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Hope Ann
                      @hope

@daeus Consider me properly inspired…after I get the next several books on my tbr list done. But you and @Kate-flournoy have talked about it so much that I want to read it. Also, I saw the movie. Which I really liked, though I could tell things were sped up even though it didn’t seem rushed. Have you seen the movie, Daeus?

Daeus
                        @daeus

@hope No… I haven’t. I don’t know if I could bear it either. I bet it’s cool, but it’s impossible that it’s as good as the book and I would probably be disappointed.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                          @hope

@Daeus That’s why one has to watch the movie before reading the book. Because they can enjoy it before realizing how much is left out. 😉 I really liked the movie though, from the bits of the book I do know, some things were made more exciting (action wise). And the ending was happier than the book too, I think. Also, one of my characters from pictures on Pinterest was in there! And he even acted a little like my character, so that was quite fun.

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@Christi-Eaton well, Madame Thenardier should be easy anyway. All you have to do is throw things. 😀

Thanks anyway @Aratrea— and definitely read Les Mis. Don’t tell @Daeus, but I like it better than The Count of Monte Cristo and that’s saying a lot. 😉

Daeus
                              @daeus

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO
                                OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
                                @daeus

??????????????????????????????

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 175 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >