Favorite Character

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Favorite Character

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

I’m a little upset right now because for some reason my first reply didn’t go through, and I really liked it. Ugh. *shaking my head* But haha, that’s okay. I’ll just write it again and pray I remember everything I wanted to say!

First, this looks like a super fun topic. Thanks, @ugroza, for sharing!!

So for my WIP, The Apostle’s Sister, my favorite characters are St. Paul and his sister Temira. I love writing about their relationship. In many of his letters, especially the “pastoral epistles” like 1 Timothy, St. Paul expresses his very strong beliefs about family relationships. I mean he even says that people who don’t care for their relatives are worse than unbelievers, and he charges Timothy to treat all women like sisters. It’s unbelievable to me that he could say those things and not love and care for his own sister (mentioned in Acts 23:16). Also he had a lot of love for complete strangers, so it would be weird if he gave his love only to random strangers and not to her. So Paul definitely would have loved his sister, even if she didn’t love him back. His love for her is really fun for me to write about in The Apostle’s Sister.

And Temira! Okay, I really love Temira. Obviously there was quite a lot of room for me to invent what Paul’s sister might have been like, since she’s only mentioned in that one verse, and not even by name. Temira is an amazing character. I love her character development. At the beginning of the novel she’s bitter and rather immature, despite being a mother and a widow, but at the end she’s this strong, brave woman with incredible faith. She’s seven years younger than Paul, so the “little sister” part of her character is adorable   She’s compassionate and brave and loves Paul more than her own life. At one part of the story she adopts a sick, abandoned child that no one wants. Some of the most emotional scenes were the ones where she witnesses Paul being tortured, and she literally stands there watching and refusing to abandon him. I always cry at how she prays for his enemies, the same ones who beat him within an inch of his life and put him in chains. And the way she’s always there to comfort her brother after all these traumatizing experiences. So emotional!

So yes, I love Temira. I can relate to her a lot, because I’m actually a little sister myself. Another favorite character is her adoptive son Seth, Paul’s youngest nephew. Seth is my favorite secondary character from the novel. He’s hilarious sometimes, and sometimes he needs discipline, but his soul is really a thousand years older than his body. LOL. He’s got a bit of a temper in him, quite a bit of spirit. At one part in the story he actually saves Paul’s life (Acts 23:16), and his bravery and loyalty to his uncle is just adorable.

Those are my faves! And before I close this very long reply, let me say that everyone else’s characters sound so fascinating. @Godlyfantasy12, I love the name November, by the way.

Issabelle Perry
      @issawriter7
        • Total Posts: 976

@ugroza

Ooooh, my favorite character??? HOW can I choose!! XD I guess I’ll talk about my latest one, Keenum!! He’s a prince of a country that was overthrown when he was seven. But now as a sixteen-year-old boy everyone is expecting him to take back his kingdom. What I love most about him is his inner struggles and conflict. How he wants to do the right thing but isn’t certain how or if he can. He has a lot of self-doubt. Also, he’s also got a writer side to him that I ADORE!!!!! If everyone would let him, he’d just spend his days scribbling down story after story!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
        TeenWritersNook.com

Alexa Autorski
        @writerlexi1216
          • Total Posts: 1011

Hmm… this one is tough, because I fall in love with all of my characters and would probably bore everyone to death if I went through all of them. So I’ll just stay with the ones I know best 🙂

I think the trophy for ‘Best Character’ would have to go to the heroine of my current fantasy WIP, Caira. I like Caira for many different reasons, but mostly since I can identify with her on more than one level. For me, she’s more than a fictional character–she’s like an invisible friend that I talk to in my head all the time (that probably sounds weird, but *shrug*). I know what she looks like, and I can hear her voice in my mind. Caira is basically my friend, and it’s hard to think of her as anything other than real. She’s definitely my favorite character that I’ve ever written, and even when I’m down in the dumps about writing, I think to myself, “Caira is such a special character, and her story needs to be told.”

So Caira is technically the ‘Chosen One’, but I’m purposefully not following that cliché. Instead, she’s everything that you wouldn’t expect in a heroine. She’s not the strong warrior that people were expecting–she’s just a timid, book-loving, fourteen year old girl with no idea how to save the world (I mean, because she’s been frozen for a millennium, she literally doesn’t even know what coffee is because it wasn’t around before). And in the beginning, she doesn’t have the first idea how to use her telekinesis.

Caira likes birds, seashells, and anything that reminds her of the ocean. She’s mostly calm and quiet, but definitely knows how to stand up for herself when she needs to. Her biggest goal isn’t fulfilling the prophecy, but finding out who her parents were and remembering who she once was. Going through grief, she feels alone because everybody she knew one thousand years ago isn’t alive anymore, including her parents. Deek is the only family member she has left. She’s a teensy-weensy bit obsessed with studying, and usually sleep deprives herself for the sake of solving a problem/situation. Caira’s weaknesses are her stubbornness and *occasional* temper (like when she holds a sword to Newton’s throat after finding out he betrayed her). I sort of feel bad for making her suffer so much.

My second main character is none other than Caira’s twin brother, Deek (whose actual name is Derrick, but he’d hate it if you called him that). Deek may be Caira’s twin, but they’re absolutely nothing alike. Deek is extroverted, fiery, and loves danger. He likes jumping into action and stirring up trouble, usually ending up getting the gang in danger because of his quick temper. While Caira usually thinks out of a problem, Deek usually makes something explode with his fire powers. He has a hard time admitting when he’s made a mistake, and he normally hides all of his inner torment and regret behind sarcasm and pride, even though he’s crumbling on the inside. He tries to make himself think he’s tough, but deep down, he’s scared, trying to keep his sister safe, and missing his parents.

And then, of course, there’s Caira’s mentors–who basically are like parents to her–Ellis and Aria. They’re professors who teach Caira how to use her telekinesis, and basically take her and Deek under their wing, acting like parent figures to them. Ellis reminds me of a sophisticated English gentleman, so I knew that being a professor fit him well. Since they aren’t main characters, I’ll keep their summary short.

I’m trying super hard not to write an entire essay about Newton, so I’ll just keep it at a few sentences: the child soldier, grieving in his life of misery and trying to find it in his heart to forgive the people that ruined his childhood. Nearly gets killed escaping the military, becomes a scavenger, and lives in his own mind of fear and torment. Meets Caira, and then his motive shifts: he no longer desires revenge, but now peace. I have a lot of sympathy for Newton because he was born with a stutter, which plays a huge part of his character. He can be adorable, too, because he has such a soft side when he’s around Caira. I wish I could give him a hug because this poor boy needs one.

Finally, let me introduce you to my brooding emperor villain *evil laughter* who probably fits more stereotypes than I’d like to admit. His name is Pirion, and he was born without magic, which has caused him to feel ashamed and very bitter. Under his mask, he’s a genius, who knows how to twist people and manipulate them. I mean, he’s the one that brainwashed Newton (and hundreds of others) when he became a child soldier. He also brainwashed the kingdom into thinking that magic never existed at all, and instead that he needed to be worshiped and obeyed, wanting to feel appreciated for once in his life.

Pirion is the emperor. When his parents were found murdered, he was forced to take the crown at a very young age and become the emperor, establishing a military called The White Phoenix. He’s probably 17ish years old. His desire is defeating Caira and putting an end to the prophecy. I’m still working on him, but I have a feeling there’ll be something deeper to his story than what I currently have.

I could go on and on about my characters, but for the sake of time, I’d better cut it short. Happy to join y’all! Y’all’s characters sound SO NEAT, too! Writing characters are, by far, my favorite part of writing 🙂 Sorry for the looooooong post.

ella
          @nova21
            • Total Posts: 604

@ugroza

haha, yes I’ma huge extrovert!!!! 🤪 pretty sure I’m an ENFP (extroverted, intuitive, feeling, perceiving)… 🧐

here’s the link for a personality test if you haven’t taken it before——the results are almost always on point:

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

have fun!!!! 😃😃😃

what we do in life echoes in eternity
            -gladiator, 2000

Ugroza
            @ugroza
              • Total Posts: 33

@nova21

I have actually taken multiple MBTI types/16 personalities tests but thank you for including the link.

Your type does not surprise me in the least based on the little I know about you.

Alexa Autorski
              @writerlexi1216
                • Total Posts: 1011

@nova21

Oooh, I like that test too! I think I’m an INFP… something along those lines.

Occasionally, I’ll take the test as one of my fictional characters. That’s interesting sometimes 😀

Ugroza
                @ugroza

@writerlexi1216

I have done the test for my characters as well.

ella
                  @nova21
                    • Total Posts: 604

@ugroza

Haha!  What’s your personality type (if you don’t mind me asking 😄)?  I also do it for my characters–Seia is an Architect, INTJ, I believe…?

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                    -gladiator, 2000

Ugroza
                    @ugroza

@nova21

Actually, my personality type is INTJ. So if you need help with Seia’s personality, I would be happy to answer your questions.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >