Fantasy Kingdom Names

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Fantasy Kingdom Names

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Katherine
    @mkfairygirl
      • Total Posts: 549

@joy-caroline Girl, a Biblical fantasy sounds totally AWESOME!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!! 😀

So, what I do for kingdom names most of the time is take a root word that has a relevant meaning to my story and change the ending to pattern the ending of real country names. I hope this helps! 🙂

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
      Fall in love with Jesus

Daisy Torres
      @daisy-torres
        • Total Posts: 691

@joy-caroline Two ways! One, I’ll look up ancient norse names and get inspired from those, or two, I’ll stare at my screen until something comes up. Sometimes, I’ll find something random (Take, say, a bottle of Aquafina Water for instance) and splice the name up to get something cool, like Finaq/Finaqua XD

(Also Finaq is not used as far as I know so if you like it, here you go XD)

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1379

@issawriter7

Ooh, kewl! That’s great ’cause then you know no one else has those names in their book. XD

Thanks! It’s def something I’m having fun playing with, especially since it’s based off the Old Testament (most of what I write is about the New). And thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous

@mkfairygirl

Thanks a bunch, Kat! 😀

Hmm, sounds good. I’ll have to try that!

@daisy-torres

Oh my goodness, I love that method. Whoever thought you could take inspiration from an Aquafina water bottle? Thanks so much!

Daisy Torres
            @daisy-torres
              • Total Posts: 691

@joy-caroline You bet!! Glad I could help!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j
                • Total Posts: 1789

@joy-caroline Ha. ha. ha. ha. #1 I’m horrible at coming up with fantasy names. #2 I usually use Fantasy Name Generators. #3 And if I can’t find one of those I like, I use Latin or Greek words to inspire my names…with the assistance of Google, of course. #4 A Biblical fantasy sounds epic!! I actually have one of those (ish) myself…and I’m toying with another one…so, yeah, I love that!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Anonymous

@gracie-j

Old Latin is a great way to get inspired. I’ve been looking at lots of Pinterest boards. XD

Thanks so much!

Gracie J.
                  @gracie-j
                    • Total Posts: 1789

@joy-caroline It is! And Pinterest is definitely great too!

You’re welcome!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Ariel
                    @ariel-f
                      • Total Posts: 50

@nanisnook

Sure! Can you tell me the genre of your book and the personality of the character? I try to match the meaning of the name with the character’s personality. This is one of my favorite parts of developing a story!

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h
                        • Total Posts: 3871

These names are all so cool! I usually just stick with whatever comes to mind…hence why my character names are usually similar to each other or are based off someone else’s. But world names? I’m not too good at those. An idea I liked was from The Wingfeather Saga–the world in that series is called Aerwiar, because the first human there (I think his name was Dwayne) said “Well, here we are.” when he first saw the world around him. You could do something like that, using a name that sounds similar to a word or words that have meaning to your world’s history or something.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Anonymous

@keilah-h

Yeah, for character names defaulting to Pinterest usually works for me. XD But I’m not that good with world names, either. Here are the ones I have, but dunno if I’ll keep them:

Country – Kestra Maron

The Five Kingdoms of Kestra Maron

Aivathya

Desturnia

Tresfirth

Uxcuveal

Keomid

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >