Fantasy Animals!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Fantasy Animals!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 2588

Calling all mythology geeks + fantasy lovers! What are some of your favorite fantastical animals? This is research for a world of mine, which I just started building. Hopefully I can turn some of these creatures on their heads!

@godlyfantasy12
      @esther-c @keilah-h @awsumfaith @folith-feolin @loopylin @theloonyone (I think that’s your tag?) @lightoverdarkness6

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Faith
      @awsumfaith
        • Total Posts: 239

@whalekeeper

*Pops head through the portal* fantasy animals? I love this! *Jumps fully out of portal* *portal closes* I’m at your service *bows dramatically*

"does anyone have any good ideas?"
        "Oh yeah, but none for this"

Whaley
        @whalekeeper

@awsumfaith

You have the floor, valiant traveler of worlds. *bows back* Any favorite creatures? Perhaps magical and mysterious?

Faith
          @awsumfaith

@whalekeeper

Well my personal favorite by far would be dragons. I’m a dragon nerd, and I always prefer the friendly dragons than the evil ones.  I like to put twists on the creatures in my world, and make up others. My dragons, for example, are small. And they don’t get bigger than a medium sized dog. Their common pets, and are usually very friendly.

I personally don’t like the centaurs and fauns, I find them a little weird for my taste. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 🙂

Pegasus are cool, I like those. And Unicorns, depending on how they’re portrayed, can be interesting too.

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

@whalekeeper GAH there are sooo many!!!!

And so many variations of the same myths since everyone viewed them differently! For instance i just bought a book on fairies that viewed them more like the garden-ish fairies, calling them like Swallowtail, sparrow, etc fairies, and they laid eggs but still looked human, and had tails as babies, and would legit use cocoons to get their wings. Just like butterflies!!

I literally love it, and am going to be using it to create a race in my books I think. It’s sooo cool!!

I personally LOVE animal creatures, anything resembling just creatures lol!! Just any of them. But I really have a fondness for sea creatures!

The Mer, sirens, kelpies, selkies (and the variations of them) and sea beasts, like krakens, and other monsters like that like Cthulhu and different things (Idk anything really about Cthulhu I just think he looks cool and sea-monster ish XD)

and dragons!!!

I just luv fantasy sooo muuuuch!!! Definitely will be stalking this topic!!!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Faith
              @awsumfaith

@whalekeeper

As I mentioned, I like to make up my own creatures. This is really fun! Most of the ones I’ve made up were inspired by my sister. For example, she thought Phoenix were white and blue (? This confused me, she’s fifteen years old and has thought this??? 😂) And I thought, why not use that? So I made up the Plasma Phoenix, hotter than fire. (Also slightly inspired by Toothless, who uses plasma blasts)

Also you can take a regular creature from our world and just put little twists on them. My sister made up the horned Octopus. A super giant octopus with horns

Whaley
                @whalekeeper

AAAA I just got an idea!! About how to change the fantasy creatures, I mean. This should be interesting…

@awsumfaith

Ah, so you like the big classic ones 😉 Can never go wrong with a dragon, am I right?

Hey… your sister thinks a lot like me XD My phoenix-themed charrie is partially bluish white when in ‘monster form.’ AND his spirit animal is an octopus. Wow… not creepy at all…

But Plasma Phoenix I likeeeeee 😛 It would be really cool if it dripped plasma in white-hot ribbons as it flies around.

Heeeeeyyyy I’ve been wanting to rewatch the HTTYD movies for, like, several weeks! Toothless is the best – if you were a viking, what dragon would you have?

@godlyfantasy12

Soooo many different fairy types! Those bird-based ones are so wild and rustic – really capture the feel of a long-ago village on the countryside, and shepherds telling stories.

How many different fairy types do you have in your story again? Was it four?

Sea creatures would be hard to stick into my story… wait, nope! I mean, my charrie who lives on the seashore is totally going to see all manner of fantastical fish.

I LOVE selkies. Have you ever watched Song of the Sea? Because it is legit my FAVORITE kid’s movie EVER. It’s about an Irish boy named Ben, who explore the world of faeries after his little sister Saoirse is a selkie. The entire movie looks like a handcrafted storybook, and the music is GORGEOUS.

Ooohh… Cthulhu looks fascinating

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Whaley.

Esther
                  @esther-c
                    • Total Posts: 3202

@whalekeeper

I’ll pop in here later and share some of my thoughts. I just don’t have the time right now. 😉

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Whaley
                    @whalekeeper

@esther-c

No biggie, feel free 😀

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h
                        • Total Posts: 3875

@whalekeeper Ooh, fantasy creatures! I’ll make sure to come back to this forum when I have more time.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Faith
                        @awsumfaith

@whalekeeper

Yup 😂 definitely

Hey, that charrie sounds cool!

And I like that idea of the plasma ribbons, that’s awesome

And yes, Toothless is the best. If I were a viking I’d have a fury of some sort. Whether it be the light, night, or night lights. They’re the cutest ones in my opinion 😍

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                          @kyronthearcanin
                            • Total Posts: 697

@whalekeeper @awsumfaith

So, kinda late, but I just saw this, and love it. XD

Weird, two of my favorites are dragons and phoenixes. Also, btw my HTTYD dragon would most likely be either a fury or a skrill.

Some other of my favorites are the Cerberus. In mythology there is usually only one, guarding Hades, but I’ve written books where there are a bunch of them wandering forests and stuff. Most were black with red eyes, but there were some rare Cerberus with white fur and icy blue eyes. There were also hydras; it was kind of a three-heads theme, idk why. I don’t remember all of it it’s been so long XD

Spirits such as naiads and dryads are cool, but idk if you’d consider them animals.

Griffins are another I’ve used and they are sooo great. Descriptions are so much easier with them cause there’s more to describe. Fur, feathers, wings, tail, beak, paws, talons (in some variations, only the forepaws are eagle talons, and the back are paws. that’s what i did usually, but sometimes I switched it up), and sometimes horns (again, depending on the variation).

Salamanders. This sounds weird, cause yes, they exist, but there are many legends about fire surrounding them. That’s where the fire salamander idea came from for Frozen 2 🤣

Winged horses, including Pegasi. Percy Jackson uses them a lot, I’ve noticed, and while I haven’t, I’d like to, cause I love them.

Any kind of shapeshifter, from werewolves to selkies XD.

This was sooooo long XD. Sry about that, but this is my kind of topic.

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

Faith
                            @awsumfaith

@kyronthearcanin

Weird, two of my favorites are dragons and phoenixes. Also, btw my HTTYD dragon would most likely be either a fury or a skrill.

Yesssss dragons and Phoenixes are the best of all of the creatures. And Skrills are cool too, I like those.

Salamanders. This sounds weird, cause yes, they exist, but there are many legends about fire surrounding them. That’s where the fire salamander idea came from for Frozen 2 🤣

I love Bruni the salamander! He’s so cuuuute

LoopyLin
                              @loopylin
                                • Total Posts: 2020

Ooo I love this topic! I’m such a mythology nerd and I love making up my own creatures.

I have a lot of different creatures, but have you guys ever heard of perytons? They’re like Pegasi but they are deer instead of horses. I love them.

@awsumfaith
                                I love the plasma pheonix! That’s a really cool idea.

@whalekeeper
                                *Gasp* someone else who knows what Song of the Sea is!! I grew up watching that movie. It’s beautiful. Have you seen Wolfwalkers or The Secret of Kells? They’re made by the same people.

@kyronthearcanin
                                Oh, yeah Cerberus is awesome. He also has a brother named Orthus who has two heads. And the idea of white-furred Cerberus dogs is really interesting. I like it.

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Faith
                                @awsumfaith

@loopylin

Ooo, you’ll have to share some of the creatures you’ve made!

Perytons??? Deer??? I love this!!!!

And thank you! I’m glad you like it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >