Fantastical Creatures

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Fantastical Creatures

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

@kate-flournoy Hmm, evil dragons. I know they are bad in quite a few stories, but they’ve always been good in mine so far. It would be fun to have a bad dragon though. Or a bad griffin. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Shaina
      @jenali
        • Total Posts: 142

To tell the truth, I have never read of an evil griffin. That would be interesting. The dragons in my stories are usually good. But that’s because I just like dragons period…..
        Though sometimes there are good and bad.
        I am so putting those faerie dragon flies in one of my stories! That is, if you don’t mind Daeus…..

The Scattered Writer

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Hope— yes, there does seem to be a trend towards good dragons. Because first there was a trend for bad dragons… and then people started trying to break the cliche… and now that is becoming cliche… so I guess you could say my dragons are bad in anticipation of the flipping of the cliche again. 😛

Okay— not really.

But seriously, writing an evil dragon is breathtaking, simply for the experience. Imagine— handling all that power, all that majesty, all that cunning and cruelty and greed (not to mention fire— fire always helps) packed into one character, even if that character doesn’t speak. Oh, and have you ever done anything from a dragon’s POV? Let me tell you right now, it can be difficult, but the results are so worth it.

An evil Griffin— sounds lovely. Have any of you read the story (I forget who wrote it) called ‘The Griffin and the Minor Canon?’ It’s a short story, and I don’t know that I could say I like it, but it’s certainly an interesting one. It has a Griffin for an MC. 🙂

Rosey Mucklestone
          @writefury
            • Total Posts: 467

What I was planning on using the dragon for was just what it was in its time: a predator.
            No magic, no talking.
            Just an untrustworthy carnivore that breathes fire.

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

@kate-flournoy Yes, I have read The Griffin and the Minor Canon…it was pretty amusing. 🙂

I think…I think I did write a story from a dragon’s POV. Or at least part of it was from her POV. It’s been awhile, and there was a dragon and another character, so I can’t remember who I stayed with. The hardest part is describing them because to themselves, they are ‘normal’ but are strange to any reader.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

Right! Exactly. I think the thing is just to give their thoughts enough of an odd, twisted, different feel, that you kinda get the idea of what they look like just from being inside their minds. Also you could write a vain dragon— always preening over their beautiful scales, their wings, their tail, their claws… actually it would be pretty fun to have a dragon that was obsessed with keeping his claws neat and clean. 😛

And if you’re going from their POV, you can show us through their eyes how odd humans look. 🙂

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

I am so putting those faerie dragon flies in one of my stories! That is, if you don’t mind Daeus…..

Go right ahead. They’re better in a book than just on this page.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Shaina
                  @jenali
                    • Total Posts: 142

I haven’t ever tried writing anything from the POV of anything but a human. That could be interesting…..

Has anyone ever had will o’ the wisps in their story? They are small, glowing creatures that lead the hero to their destiny, or to their grave, depending on the story. They are fascinating creature, and I love the way that they are represented in the movie ‘Brave’.

Has anyone read the Spiderwick series? They have a bunch of fantastical creatures, and they are represented as they were in the original legends. Often not so nice, and very dangerous. I do like the series though.

The Scattered Writer

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >