Fanfiction?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Destiny
    @destiny
      • Total Posts: 37

So…

Often, when I find a show/game/book that I really like, I get all these ideas for fanfiction to go along with it, but I never know what I’d do with it after I wrote it. So, my question is; what can you legally do with fanfiction? Can you self-publish it the same as any other book? Can you offer it as a subscriber-freebie-thing for your email list? Can you post it on your blog? (Of course I would mention that it’s based on somebody else’s idea for any of these options)

I just don’t want to go around infringing on anybody’s copyright. 😉

@rochellaine
      would you know about this kind of thing since you’re in law school?

@dekreel
      you’re writing a fanfiction, aren’t you? What are you going to do with it?

I don’t know of anyone else who I should tag in this… @fanfiction-writers?

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

@destiny  Unfortunately I have no idea. My fanfic is FAR from ready for publishing, but I think it would be okay if you posted it on your blog. It’s just not okay to SELL a fanfic without permission.

I don’t know much about the fanfiction business, but I do know that Disney and BBC in particular are kind of strict, so if your fanfic is based on something from there, it will be hard to get permission (Mine is of a BBC show… *blushes*)

But don’t take my word for it, because, again, I’m virtually clueless 😉

Random question: Is your fanfic about the Aetherlight? 😉

You can pronounce it however you want.

Ariel Ashira
        @ariel-ashira
          • Total Posts: 739

@destiny I have NO idea. 🙂

"In a mask, was he?"

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine
            • Total Posts: 3322

@destiny First off I want to say that as a law student who has not graduated or passed the bar yet, I am not allowed to give any legal advice.  I could be arrested if I attempted to counsel someone as a lawyer. 😉  That’s why I always speak of my status as a law student jokingly on here, rather than seriously.

That being said, I’ll be glad to give you my advice as a friend.  So, this is not legal advice! 😀

Okay, I don’t really know anything about copyright/fanfiction laws, so I searched and found this article on them.

Hope this helps! 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Destiny
            @destiny
              • Total Posts: 37

@dekreel Yeah, I have two fanfictions going on right now, and they are pretty far from being done too (I don’t even really have a plot for one of them) although one of them is moving along pretty nicely (last time I checked it was at 5374 words, and I’ve added to it since then 😀 ). I’m not doing anything based on anything from those people luckily. No, they’re not about Aetherlight (although I’m not saying that I’ll never write anything about them…), one story is about Sonic Forces with some possible references to Sonic Mania, and the other is about Sonic the Hedgehog (all their games I’ve played in general, not just the other two I mentioned) and My Little Pony Friendship is Magic put together. 🙂

@ariel-ashira
              That’s okay. 🙂 Have you ever written any fanfiction(s)/are writing any?

@rochellaine
              Okay. That was all I was asking for. I wouldn’t want to get you in trouble, I just want to stay out of trouble myself. 🙂 Thanks for the link!

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine
                • Total Posts: 3322

@destiny Yes, I knew that, and I just added the other stuff as a disclaimer of sorts. 😀  I hope the link is a little helpful!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Grace H.
                @gh24682468999
                  • Total Posts: 199

@destiny I have actually published Warrior Cats fanfiction on Wattpad. There is a lot of fanfiction hanging around there too that is similar.

From my knowledge of copyright laws, you only get in trouble if the creator of it tries to sue you (don’t quote me on that, as I have a very basic understanding on all this). I know there are certain authors who hate their work being made into fanfictions, while others are totally okay with it.

If you publish it online but don’t make money from it, and the author of the original work has not expressed dislike for fanfiction, I think you should be good 🙂

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
                  literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 95

@destiny, I agree with everything said above. For me, FanFic is a writing exercise. I use it to get the wheels turning. Using someone else’s world is a good place for beginners to start (that’s where I started.) With the legality, I always assumed I’d have to write a letter to X company and ask for permission to share.

Elizabeth
                    @that_writer_girl_99
                      • Total Posts: 1819

Hiya! @destiny

I’ve been writing fanfiction for a while now, but I didn’t start putting it anywhere until this month. The website I use is called archiveofourown, and is a website where writers just like you and me can put up their fanfics and other works! It’s got a pretty easy to figure out system for rating works, tagging characters/ships, and stuff like that.

that being said, someone above mentioned wattpad too, so if you wanted to go with that site, you could do that as well.

Hope this helps! Here’s a link to AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/ Click the “log in” button, then click “get an invitation”, and you should get an invite within a few weeks!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >