Fan Fic Middle Earth Story

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques Fan Fic Middle Earth Story

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Orielle2023
    @orielle21
      • Total Posts: 173

Hey guys. I thought I’d finally share my Journey to the Past story (JTTP) about four kids who get transported to Tolkien’s middle earth! This is probably my favorite fan fiction I have written. I wrote it according to The Hobbit book (I don’t think I had watched the movies when I wrote this so there’s no Tauriel in it after all.)

Hope you enjoy! I’ll be posting it in parts because there’s a lot. Lol.

@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @starofthenorth @keilah-h @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @felicity @whalekeeper @theloonyone @loopylin @devastate-lasting @gold_hummingbird @charityanne @gwyndalf-the-wise @c-j @sarafini @madelyn @arien @mineralizedwritings @koshka @lewilliams @princesachronicle22 @folith-feolin @power @otherworldlyhistorian and @anyone else that cares to read it. 🙂

A little introduction…..

Main Characters:

Eugene: tough, ready-for-anything, handsome seventeen-year-old

Eudora: strong, determined, detective,  jolly sixteen-year-old

Rowena: soft, beautiful, gray eyed, intelligent girl of fourteen years

Alfred: happy-go-lucky, energetic, hazardous, mischievous twelve-year-old

They live in London in a huge castle house with their father and mother, who are wealthy aristocrats who do not have time to raise them.

And now for part ONE!!!! Any and all feedback and critique appreciated!!

=====================================================================

“It is such a rotten day,” complained Eudora from her perch on the windowsill. “I just don’t understand why it had to rain when we were going to go on our picnic.”

A surprised look enveloped Rowena’s face as she looked up from reading her new novel, Emma. What had happened to her usually jolly sister? With her bright blue eyes and pretty face framed by thick golden hair, Eudora almost rivaled the princess of England.

“I don’t like being trapped in this castle all day either,” Alfred agreed as he lept from the little table to one of the prized sofas. Under a crop of dark brown hair, Alfred’s snapping green eyes dared Rowena to comment. 

“What I don’t appreciate is that both of you are being so sour,” Rowena finally said in a soft voice. Everyone in their huge castle knew that Rowena had the soft, gray eyes of her mother but the wise intellect of her father.

Just then, Eugene opened the door and entered in his gentlemanly fashion. “What’s the problem, Eudora?” he asked pleasantly.

Eugene’s handsome appearance and pleasant words always bettered any dreary outlook. Eudora though so too and to please her older brother, she replied, “Nothing is wrong. I was just wishing that the rain would stop. We can’t change that, so I’m going to read for the rest of the afternoon in the library.”

“May I come too?” asked Alfred. “I want to find one of Uncle Norman’s books to read. His are always full of adventure.”

“Of course, as long as you don’t fall into mischief.”

“I won’t!” he exclaimed.

“I’ll join you too,” decided Rowena, smoothing out her skirts and putting her book under her arm.

“I’m headed that way myself!” Eugene informed and soon the four children were going down a long, wide hall. Their feet, clad in leather shoes, made no sound on the velvety red carpet that showed the way to the great oaken door of the grand library. Once inside, the children were held spell bound for a few awe inspiring minutes.

“Never do I tire of the beauty of this room,” sighed Rowena dreamily.

“Me neither,” Eugene agreed. “Come, Alfred. I’ll find some good books for you to read.” The two moved quietly to the south side of the room while the girls went to search on the west side where huge windows let in the light.

Eudora smiled as her hand lighted upon the books of Charles Dickens. “I do love his works,” she commented to her sister as she pulled A Tale of Two Cities off of one of the shelves.

Rowena, after deciding that the book she brought along was sufficient, found a comfortable seat in one of the overstuffed chairs. Eudora wandered over to window and sat on the wide sill.

Meanwhile, the boys were busy trying to find the secret stash of Uncle Norman’s old books that he moved about the library from time to time.

“Clues, clues,” sighed Alfred. “I am not good at solving mysteries except those that are in books. Where would he have put them this time?”

Eugene’s eyes lighted up. “I know. First, we must find the American painting that Uncle brought home with him. It’s the Kindred Spirits by Ashur Durand.”

Alfred knew this painting very well and he loved to study it. The boys found the painting and sure enough, there were Uncle Norman’s books.

“Ahhh, such a lovely collection!” Alfred said in a whisper. He read all of the titles, but only one stood out that he hadn’t noticed before. It was called The Hobbit. A certain J.R.R. Tolkien had written it.

“What’s a hobbit?” questioned Alfred to his brother.

Eugene was flipping through a fat book that had come from America with Uncle Norman. “I don’t know. I suppose you should find out.” He sat down on the floor and buried his nose in Moby Dick.

Alfred carefully removed the little volume from the shelf and opened it. After putting his finger in the place of the first chapter, he scurried to one of the big windows and began to read. The first sentence of the book said thus: “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.” Alfred read page after page after page of the story and was so engrossed that he didn’t hear the dinner bell ring.

“Oh, dear, Alfred!” exclaimed Rowena. “We must hurry. We will be late for tea.”

“I do wish I could forget tea for once,” he said. “This book is so interesting.”

“What is it about?” asked Eugene and Eudora at the same time.

As the children made their way to the dining room, Alfred recounted all that he had read.

“I’ll have to take a look at that book myself,” Eugene said thoughtfully. “It is mighty captivating.”

“It sounds quite scary,” Rowena commented.

“Wouldn’t it be interesting if there were really hobbits?” Eudora laughed.

The maid scolded them several times for their tardiness as they took their places around the table. But, when she saw how happy the children were, she forgot their faults and served them well.

Immediately after dismissal, Eugene, Eudora, Rowena, and Alfred scurried away to the library. They could not retrieve the mysterious book right away because Uncle Norman was busy at the desk doing some writing.

Finally, their Uncle left. Alfred grabbed the book and began to read aloud. Thus, that dismal dreary day passed in great excitement.

“I’m rather glad we didn’t have a picnic today,” Eudora said that night as she put on her long white nightgown. “I wonder how many other books Uncle Norman has like that.”

Rowena yawned sleepily. “I do hope he lets us have The Hobbit. I would like to read it for myself from beginning to ending. I wonder if they will accomplish their goal.”

They were tucked in bed and ready to sleep when Alfred came into the room. “Eudora, are you still awake?”

“Yes.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight. Go to sleep now.” She turned towards the wall and promptly fell asleep.

Only the mice could have heard the pitter patter of feet on the floor as a young boy crept from his sisters’ room and made a silent bee line for his uncle’s bookshelf……..

———————————————————————————————————————–

“Eugene! Where are you? Why is it sooooo dark?” Rowena’s frightened voice said.

Eudora put out her arms and felt around. “Where is the lamp?”

“We aren’t indoors,” observed Eugene. “We are in a dark, dark forest.”

“What’s that? Lights?” Rowena gasped.

Alfred spoke up. “The lights are red. Hush, everyone, we are in some beastly place. You’d better not make too much noise.”

Rowena grabbed Eugene and started crying. “Rowena! Shhhh! What if someone hears us?”

Just then, Eudora whispered, “I hear voices!! The language is so strange but it is like water running down a mountain.”

The four listened attentively in the darkness. Gradually, the red lights faded and two lantern lights replaced them. Eugene told everyone to follow him and they all crept from the road and hid behind short, thick bushes.  The strangers came closer and closer. They were indeed carrying lanterns and were clothed in handwoven gray clothes. Green broaches sat at their throats and each had a bow and many arrows. As the children watched the strangers, they seemed to be searching the sides of the road. Then,

“Who are you?” said a voice, stern and harsh.

No one said anything.

“Come out and stand before me,” the voice commanded again.

“Please, sir, do not harm us. We are lost in this dark forest,” Eugene spoke up.

“Oh, you are great Elves of the woods!” Rowena declared in wonder, forgetting her fright.

The taller of the two stared at her without saying anything. Then, “What are your names?”

“I am Eugene son of Duke Montgomery. These are my two sisters, Eudora and Rowena, and this is my brother Alfred.”

Alfred had not said a word up to this point. As soon as the eyes of the man fell upon him, he said, “We have trespassed in your woods, sirs. Please forgive us. We mean no harm.”

“You will have to recon with the King of these woods,” replied the harsh stranger.

“Perhaps you will let the son of the King speak?” questioned the other, glaring at his companion. “I see that these young persons can do no harm. Tell me, how did you get here?” he asked kindly.

“Truthfully, sir, I do not know,” said Eugene.

“That is quite possible to believe, since these woods have mysteriously magical powers. But, it is our turn to introduce ourselves. I am Legolas, son of the King of Mirkwood. My companion is Theron. We are the wood elves that dwell in Mirkwood but dance under the stars in the fields. Come and stay with us.”

Rowena looked extremely pleased. Eudora suddenly remembered that her sister long had had a fancy for tales of Elves.

Eugene was a little more cautious. “I beg your pardon, Legolas, son of the Woodland King, but will your father be very angry with us?”

A near smile came upon Legolas’ face. “I will speak on your behalf. My father is a very reasonable man. Most likely, he will be pleased to have children from such an important Duke visiting him. We will have dances, feasts, and singings in the woods to welcome you to our land.”

“Thank you,” the four children said in unison.

Legolas led the way and Theron walked behind them. Presently, Eugene and Legolus fell to talking.    “I hear that there are many dangerous things in this woods,” Eugene said.

“Indeed, the worse of which are the spiders. Perhaps you saw red lights in the darkness?”

“Yes,” Rowena said, staying close to his side.

“Do not fear them. They do not come into the path and unless they are disturbed, they will do no harm. But, they are some of our worst enemies.” Legolas looked to his left and his right and then continued on straight ahead.

“How long until we come to the Woodland King’s palace?” questioned Eudora curiously.

“Not long now,” Legolas answered. “Stay close to me.”

Soon, they left the path behind and entered the woods. Rowena and Eudora held on to each other and the boys made sure never to leave their sisters behind. Finally, the rushing of water could be heard.

“This waterway is called Running River,” Legolas informed. “We get our supplies from Lake Town. All of the good food and wine is packed and poured into barrels and sent down the river. Once we empty the barrels, our row men return them by making a barrel raft and rowing up stream.”

“That is very interesting,” Alfred said. Truthfully, he knew about this process already. After everyone had gone to bed back in England, Alfred had snuck out of his room, crept to the library with a candle, and started reading The Hobbit again. In fact, he had just finished the last page of the book when suddenly his candle disappeared and he found himself in Middle Earth.

“There is the rock cave,” Legolas said, bringing Alfred back to the present.

“I don’t see anything,” Rowena exclaimed.

For the first time, Theron laughed. “Young girl, we are Wood Elves just like you said. We have vision that is only exceeded by the Eagles of the Misty Mountains.”

“If you stay with us for a considerable amount of time, perhaps you will acquire such sight,” Legolas said kindly. “For now, trust us. Watch your steps now. We are crossing the river on a bridge. Can you see it?”

“Yes,” Eugene answered for them all. He was deeply fascinated by the Elves and their homeland.

They were brought before the Woodland King. Upon seeing his son, the Elf king smiled. “Legolas, I see you have brought some young children.”

“Yes, father. I found them on our road. They are lost and I have invited them to stay with us. Their father is a certain Duke Montgomery, who we do not recognize. I believe he must live across the waters in a land further than that mysterious land that I will journey to someday….” He stopped when he saw his father’s face. The children could not make sense of this talk and fortunately Legolas changed the subject quickly. “Eugene, Eudora, Rowena, and Alfred need a place to rest their weary limbs.”

Once again, the King smiled at the children. “What names! They shall be forever welcome to join us in our merry making. Alfred, your name is common among our people. I shall call for servants to come and tend to your needs.”

The children bowed, thanking the King many times. Servants, beautifully arrayed in gray and blue and green led the children to a room full of lovely things, almost, in Rowena’s opinion, too lovely. As they lay in the comfortable beds with the moon shining on their faces, Alfred broke the silence. “We are in Middle Earth.”

“We are indeed,” Eugene said in a whisper.

“I wonder what will happen to us!” worried Eudora.

“We will dance and sing with Elves tomorrow!” exclaimed Rowena.

“I wonder if father and mother are looking for us.” That last statement came from Alfred and put everyone was overcome by silence once again. Finally, an Elf spoke, startling the children greatly.

“Do not worry about your parents,” she said quietly. “I am sure that they will hear that you are with us and will be happy.”

Eudora sat up to get a better look at the speaker. The face of the maiden was fair and her silver hair was tied back with golden ribbons. “What is your name?” asked Eudora.

The young woman smiled. “My name is Evelina. What is yours?”

“I am Eudora.”

“I have a sister and her name is Angelica. What is your sister’s name?”

“Rowena.”

Evelina’s face brightened. “That is my mother’s name. But, I mustn’t tire you with talk. Go to sleep and we will have merry making tomorrow.” She slipped away and shut the door to the beautiful room. That was all any of them could remember until the next morning.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Gwyndalf the Wise
      @gwyndalf-the-wise
        • Total Posts: 404

@orielle21

I love it!! *round of applause*

Only the mice could have heard the pitter patter of feet on the floor as a young boy crept from his sisters’ room and made a silent bee line for his uncle’s bookshelf……..

XD I would’ve done the same thing.

I am confused on one part though (not a fault of yours, I just don’t remember) what are the red lights referencing?

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
        (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Orielle2023
        @orielle21

@gwyndalf-the-wise

I love it!! *round of applause*

🤩👍🏻💕

what are the red lights referencing?

The spiders’ eyes. 👀 😆

Gwyndalf the Wise
          @gwyndalf-the-wise

@orielle21

The spiders’ eyes. 👀 😆

Ohhhh okay. XD It’s been awhile since I read about the spiders…

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

@orielle21 AHH NEED MORE of Alfred 

👀 XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Felicity
              @felicity
                • Total Posts: 811

@orielle21

I forgot how much I liked this. 😉

@godlyfantasy12

I know. Little brothers, right? Gotta love ’em. 🙂

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Orielle2023
                @orielle21

Part two coming through!!!!

@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @starofthenorth @keilah-h @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @felicity @whalekeeper @theloonyone @loopylin @devastate-lasting @gold_hummingbird @charityanne @gwyndalf-the-wise @c-j @sarafini @madelyn @arien @mineralizedwritings @koshka @lewilliams @princesachronicle22 @folith-feolin @power @otherworldlyhistorian and @anyone else that cares to read it. 🙂

The sun shone down warmly upon them and they heard the pleasant singing of Elves.

“I guess this isn’t a dream,” said Eudora thoughtfully.

Eugene stood to his feet and began to take in the art work of the room. Lamps twinkled from each corner of the room as though they had been lit by the sun itself. Huge colorful flowers grew in pots beside the bed posts and long grasses hid the dressing room from the bed.

Rowena sat up and threw the blanket off. “I would very much appreciate a good breakfast soon,” she said.

Alfred, always ready to eat, agreed. “I wonder when they will come for us.”

Eudora went to the window and looked out. “OH!” she laughed, breathing in the fresh dewy air. “I have never seen such beauty. The trees and flowers all look alive! There’s Legolas!” she said, pointing. Her sister and brothers crowded to the window.

“Good morning, young friends!” he greeted.

“Good morning!” called Alfred.

Legolas crossed the courtyard and stepped up to the window. “Did you receive good rest?”

“Yes,” Rowena answered.

“Very well. Come down and enjoy the morning with us!”

As the children hurried to put on their shoes, the Elvish tunes resumed. Eugene was about to lead the way out when the door opened. Evelina and Angelica stood their with the beautiful garments of the elves. “The Woodland King had sent these to you,” explained Evelina. “Dress quickly and come out to the courtyard.”

“Thank the King kindly for us,” Eugene said, bowing slightly. Eudora and Rowena took the clothes and Alfred shut to door.

“Look at this!” exclaimed Rowena. She held up an Elvin dress. It was gray and green with strands of sliver and gold sewn in the fabric.

Eudora took her dress and held it up in the light. The sun danced through the gold edges and around silver buttons. The fabric was gray and blue. The girls hurried to dress and then let the boys have their turn. When Eugene and Alfred appeared in their Elf clothes, Eudora and Rowena agreed that thought that they had never seen any boys more handsome. Eugene had been given a cloak adorned with a broach as blue as the Running River. Alfred’s clothes were lined with silver. Eugene discovered a bag that they had missed. Upon opening it, he pulled out four pairs of Elf shoes. They fit perfectly.

“Ready?” Alfred questioned. He opened the door and the four children stepped out into the unknown. They followed the beautiful sounds and found many elves playing harps and singing. At the sight of the children, the music wavered. Legolas beckoned the children to come and all the elves sat watching to see what would happen.

“Let us welcome Eugene, Eudora, Rowena, and Alfred into our midst,” he said. “I found them lost in the great forest and have invited them to stay with us for a time. They will learn many good things to take back to their lands. We will include them in all of our merrymaking and treat them as if they were elf children.”

Agreement floated silently through the group. Very apparent it was to the newcomers that everyone respected the King’s son and his judgment.

After more singing, breakfast was announced. Alfred followed his brother and sisters into a huge dining room where many elves were bustling about. In the middle of all of the king’s tables were jugs of wine. He smiled to himself. He remembered reading about this wine. It came from Lake Town. How he wished he could float down the river and meet the men of Lake Town! He would feel much more at home among them! But then, he shuddered, remembering something else.

“Are you alright, Alfred?” asked Eudora.

“Yes, quite alright,” he responded cheerfully. In all honesty, he felt smitten by fear yet with a bit of curiosity mixed in.

They ate well. Never before had they been in such a jolly setting while eating! Back in England, Rowena mused, they always had to sit in stony silence. Here, they chatted and sang while eating! She loved this new life.

Breakfast over, the children were lead into a huge hall. Legolas and several other elves were about to go on a hunting expedition. Eugene asked to go along with the hunters and he had been given permission. Legolas looked at the three other children.

“You should stay here,” he admonished. “I’ll ask Fern and Finch to take you exploring along the river.”

Eudora, Rowena, and Alfred were only too happy to comply. “Thank you, sir,” they said.

“Follow me closely,” said Legolas. “This gate only opens by magic and is not merciful to those who do not make it through.”

Sticking close to their leader, the children made it safely through the door to the outside of the cave. Bidding, Eugene good bye, the others waited on the bridge for the two elf children. They soon met Fern and Finch, who took them to the river following one of their secret paths.

“Here come the barrels!” cried Finch from his perch in a tall tree. Alfred leaned passed his new friend and looked for himself. Sure enough, there were the barrels! Six elves were guiding them.

“Ho!” shouted Finch. “What news this time?”

One of the elves looked over at them. “Who are those with you?” he asked.

“I asked what news there was to be got from Lake Town?” Finch repeated, jumping down from the tree.

“Nothing new. They are still singing those old songs of gold running rivers and a king under the mountain,” replied the elf laughing. “But, again, who are the three with you?”

“This is Eudora and Rowena,” Fern spoke up. “Legolas found them and rescued them from getting indefinitely lost in the forest or eaten by spiders.” She trembled. “They are very nice folks. The Woodland King loves them.”

“That’s all I need to hear,” said another elf kindly. “You forgot to tell me about the boy there, Finch.”

“His name is Alfred. He’s a nimble as one of us and has a name to match. He’s their brother.”

The elves laughed merrily and passed the children. The barrels splashed in the water and disappeared under a low roof. Alfred smiled to himself. He knew all about that.

“Tonight the King is hosting a fall celebration in the woods,” said Fern dreamily. “I am looking forward to it ever so.”

“What will it be like?” Rowena asked.

Fern laid down in the clean sand and looked up into the sky. “We always bring many, many lamps. It can be very dark, you know. We stay clear of the spiders and only have the celebration where we can see a bit of moon light. There is food in abundance and dancing and singing until late in the evening. We never get lost because the king always makes sure we are all accounted for.”

Eudora was staring down the river. She watched the current as it peacefully lapped the shore and her toes. She wondered what Lake Town was like.

“Men live there,” Finch said, breaking into her thoughts. “Someday, I am going to bring barrels to and from the town. It will be fascinating to journey and feast with those jolly people.”

Men! Why, there were people just like her in Lake Town! “Do you ever visit them?” asked Eudora suddenly.

“No, not usually. They are allies with us and we get most of our goods from them. Only our paddle men visit them often,” Finch replied.

Eudora’s heart sank. Though she loved her new found elf friends, there was a longing in her heart to go to a people who possessed ways and manners more familiar to her. Her blue eyes filled with tears and she quickly turned away to hide them from those around her. She drew the soft cloth of her cape up to her face to catch her tears. Rowena and Fern were busy conversing about Elf manners and customs. The boys were rolling up their trousers and splashing in the busy river. Elf fashion, Eudora slipped away into the trees and left them behind. She didn’t know where she was going, but she knew that she wanted to find Lake Town. If she just kept to the river bank, wouldn’t she reach the town eventually? With this logic only in the forefront of her mind, Eudora plowed forward.

Meanwhile, Eugene and the elves were having a very successful time on their hunt. The king had ordered an unusually large feast and so that meant sufficient venison must be harvested. Eugene had just pulled back his bow to shoot when Legolas said in a low voice, “Stop!”

Eugene put down the bow and stared. Legolas looked surprised as he stepped away from the group.

He soon caught up with the figure, who turned out to be Eudora. “Why, Eudora! How is it that I find you here?”

Eudora looked frightened at first, but seeing it was Legolas, she forgot her fear and explained everything. “I do want to see Lake Town and its inhabitants. It all reminds me so much of my home, which I am missing dreadfully.”

Legolas nodded in understanding. “Listen, dear girl. I will see what I can do about this. For now, I want you to come with me. I will not send you home alone. We are about finished with our hunting.”

“Are you getting venison for the feast?” Eudora exclaimed.

“Yes. How did you know?”

Together, Eudora and Legolas, chatting merrily, arrived back at the group of hunters. Eugene was a bit disturbed that Eudora had made a fool of herself in such a manner.

“You didn’t have to run away. What if Legolas hadn’t found you?” he scolded.

But Legolas dismissed this and said that it wouldn’t do to spoil a happy ending. A few minutes later, a fat buck made his appearance in the clearing. Eugene lifted his bow, as did several other elves.

“Please, could I try?” asked Eudora.

Legolas handed her his bow and took an arrow from his sheath. She took the bow, lined up the arrow, and pointed the instrument at the buck. She pulled back the string and let go. The arrow went whizzing through the air and struck the deer right in the heart. The beast stumbled forward several paces and then fell to the ground. Eudora smiled. She had done it!

Eugene congratulated her. The two of them fell behind the elves and talked quietly. “When do you think Bilbo, the dwarfs, and Gandalf are going to come into the story?” Eugene asked.

Eudora shrugged. “I don’t know. I wish I did. I do wonder if we will meet them at all.”

Eugene looked in front of him. The elves were out of ear shot. “I think we will meet them soon. I am hoping that maybe we can help them out on their quest.”

“Do you think so?” asked Eudora excitedly.

“Shhh,” Eugene said quickly. “The forest seems to have ears. I’ll tell you what I think later.”

But, Eudora and Eugene never found another spare moment to talk in secret, for the feast preparations had erupted in full force when they entered into the king’s gates. Rowena and Alfred were very glad to see Eudora and the search team was called home, for Eudora was safe and sound. Fading sunlight turned the trees to copper as the merry party stepped out of the cave. Songs were being sung and Rowena was laughing gaily with Fern.

Eudora watched them, but could not feel as happy as they did. She wanted home! However, for the time being, she took courage in the fact that her mark men’s ship was as good as if she had been born an elf. That would help her survive in this wilderness. She also sensed that her eye sight had grown very keen. In fact, she could see the elf King, who was riding in a chair covered with leaves and flowers far, far ahead of all of his people.

“Eudora!” Alfred caught her arm. He placed a wreath of flowers about her head and smiled. “You look lovely.”

“Thank you, dear brother.” Eudora smiled too and decided to forget all her fears and distresses. ‘I’m going to enjoy being in Elf land tonight,’ she said fiercely.

Evelina came to her side. “I heard that some of the venison of tonight’s feast has been supplied by you!”

Eudora couldn’t help but laugh when this young lady was about. Her happy manners chased all doubt away and replenished the empty spot with pure joy.

“I had never shot anything before. I think that my eyes have changed. I can see the king, though before I wouldn’t have been able to even glimpse my brother Alfred there.”

Evelina looked far away. “Yes,” she said finally. “You have become a clever and beautiful Elf. I can see it in your face.”

Though that thought was more a regret than a complement to her, Eudora managed a smile.

Sitting around in the lovely lamp light, Rowena couldn’t have been happier. Fern was there with her by the fire and they had nothing to fear. Elf girls played sweet music on harps and everyone sang. Though she was growing drowsy, Rowena kept an eye on her younger brother. It seemed that he kept gazing passed the lamp light into the darkness as if he expected something. Soon, however, she forgot all this and fell asleep. Eugene was busy attending the king. Eudora watched him as he sat beside the Woodland king and spoke to him. The King looked so royal as he sat in his seat. The light turned his chair to gold and all about him, sliver flashed and dazzled.

Suddenly, someone stepped into the circle of light. Whatever or whoever it was was not an Elf at all. Eudora barely had time to study the new comer before everything went pitch black. The lamps had been extinguished and the fire stamped out. Someone picked her up and sped through the forest far away from the intruder. She couldn’t tell how far they went, but finally she was set down. All was silent. No one dared to move or speak until their king gave command. Finally, when the king was certain that all was safe, which seemed like hours, the lamps were lighted and the fire started. Eudora looked up into Legolas’ face. “Why on earth did that happen?” she asked in confusion.

Legolas looked very grave. “I do not know. I am going to speak with my father.”

Eudora saw that Alfred was approaching. He had a very excited look on his face. When he pretended to be sleeping in a remote corner of the celebration, Eudora went over to him. “What now?”

He pulled her head down to him. “I promise with all I’m worth that that was one of the dwarfs. I saw them all out there. I will not dare tell anyone else because they will…well, they won’t like me knowing. Just trust me. That was the dwarfs and Bilbo. They are desperately hungry. Oh! I feel so bad for them! If they would only…..”

“But, how do you know this?” interrupted Eudora.

At that moment, someone else stepped into the light from the dark, foreboding forest. Eudora was so close to him that she could have touched him. He was short, very short, and had blondish, curly hair. He looked so hungry that she began to reach into her pocket for a piece of Elf bread. Seconds later, the lights were all extinguished once more, leaving everything in total darkness for the second time. It was a wonder that Alfred and Eudora were found and brought with the rest of the elves. Alfred hung on to Eudora so tightly that she thought he was scared stiff. Faintly, she could hear cries behind her as if someone was seeking a lost friend. It seemed as if the Elves would never stop fleeing. They made no sounds as they stole through the woods.

Three times did they set up their party that night. Eugene, Alfred, and Eudora winked at each other when no one was looking. Rowena, too scared to notice their amusement, stayed close to the others by the fire. Elvish songs were ringing in the night once more when indeed another intruder interrupted the peaceful celebration. Rowena was surprised to see that the man was no taller than her and that he had an enormous beard that covered most of his face. His bushy eyebrows made him look stern. He started to speak, but then he was struck with a magic sleep. Taking their darkened lights with them, the Elves retreated to the safety of their strong hold. Eudora, Rowena, and Alfred were sent to bed. Eugene told them in whispers that he was going to go arrest the fallen dwarf with a few others. Alfred clung to him.

“It isn’t fair that I don’t get to go with you! I’m old enough!” he pleaded.

Eugene took Alfred’s hand off of him and spoke seriously to him. Alfred nodded soberly and lead the girls to their room. The pleasantness of their new room had faded and all three of them had a hard time falling asleep. Alfred awoke to the sound of quiet voices. He stole out of bed and crept to the window. Legolas and Theron were talking in their own language. Alfred found out that he could understand it. He listened carefully.

“Why do you think dwarfs have come?” Theron said. He was sharpening his arrows.

“Remember all of the songs of the Lake Men? Perhaps they are trying to make their way to the Mountain,” Legolas answered thoughtfully. “I’m afraid my father will not let them pass unhindered.”

Alfred shook his head. ‘So, the story is going to have to be played out the way it is written,’ he thought.

“When my father finds out what they are doing, he will want that treasure, I am sure. I am sorry to say, but that is one thing that my father loves too much.” Legolas glanced up just then, but Alfred was quicker and he ducked down under the windowsill.

“I wouldn’t blame your father,” Theron countered. “He is right about not just letting any person or thing pass through his forest. We won’t have any nasty creatures destroying our peace and prosperity. We’ve been doing well for a long time with the Lake men and that is good enough for us. Your father knows the prophecies as well as you do and he isn’t blind. I am certain that he is planning to get out of the dwarf every last word about what he has in mind.”

Legolas fell silent and Alfred snuck back to bed. If it had been hard to go to sleep before, it was almost impossible now. He was sure that Thorin had been captured. Tomorrow all of the others would be captured too. But wait. There was that hobbit Bilbo. Alfred suddenly wished with all his heart that he had been able to ask Bilbo about that ring. More than every before, Alfred needed to be invisible.

Orielle2023
                  @orielle21

@godlyfantasy12

AHH NEED MORE of Alfred

🙂 🙂 🙂

Esther
                    @esther-c
                      • Total Posts: 3205

@orielle21

promise I’ll get to reading this when I have the time. It sounds really interesting and I can’t wait to read it!! 😄

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Gwyndalf the Wise
                      @gwyndalf-the-wise

@orielle21

OOooo the sUsPenSE…

Yay for more sibling shenanigans! XD

ALFRED DON’T YOU DARE!!! *shakes him by the shoulders, while ranting on how much of a bad idea that is*

Suddenly, someone stepped into the circle of light. Whatever or whoever it was was not an Elf at all. Eudora barely had time to study the new comer before everything went pitch black. The lamps had been extinguished and the fire stamped out. Someone picked her up and sped through the forest far away from the intruder. She couldn’t tell how far they went, but finally she was set down. All was silent. No one dared to move or speak until their king gave command. Finally, when the king was certain that all was safe, which seemed like hours, the lamps were lighted and the fire started. Eudora looked up into Legolas’ face. “Why on earth did that happen?” she asked in confusion.

…so, this part confuses me…

Who picked up Eudora?
                        How did she arrive back with Legolas? XD that part gave me Flight of the Navigator vibes
                        Why did the lights go out?

Orielle2023
                        @orielle21

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Hey! Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Who picked up Eudora?
                          How did she arrive back with Legolas? XD that part gave me Flight of the Navigator vibes

Legolas picked up Eudora as all the elves ran away from the dwarves and Bilbo. {I sort of pictured myself as Eudora in this story so of course Legolas was her rescuer here. 😉 }

Why did the lights go out?

So, in the book, Tolkien writes about how the elves extinguished all their lights as soon as they saw the company.

“When they ( the dwarves) got to the edge of the circle of lights they pushed Bilbo suddenly from behind. Before he had time to slip on his ring, he stumbled forward into the full blaze of the fire and torches. It was no good. Out went all the lights again and complete darkness fell.” The Hobbit, chapter 8, page 152

Orielle2023
                          @orielle21

@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @starofthenorth @keilah-h @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @felicity @whalekeeper @theloonyone @loopylin @devastate-lasting @gold_hummingbird @charityanne @gwyndalf-the-wise @c-j @sarafini @madelyn @arien @mineralizedwritings @koshka @lewilliams @princesachronicle22 @folith-feolin @power @otherworldlyhistorian @not-so-secret-secret-assassin and @anyone else that cares to read it. 🙂

Good morning KP. Part three of my Fan fic Middle Earth story is here. Enjoy or ignore as always!

The next morning when Eudora and Rowena woke up, Alfred was no where to be found. They dressed and hesitantly left their room. The elves were all astir about what had happened the night before and no one thought of anything else.

“A dwarf was brought to the king last night. He is in prison now because he did not answer the king’s questions,” Evelina informed the girls. She brought them a bit of breakfast. “Your brother Eugene has been given a position in the king’s army. He will be busy the next few days. Where is Alfred? Is he still sleeping?”

“Why, no,” answered Rowena. “He was gone when we woke up.”

Evelina laughed. “So it is. Our boys do get restless. He’ll come for breakfast by and by. Angelica and I are going to work with our mother on some sewing today. Would you like to help me?”

“Thank you,” Rowena said. “I would enjoy that.”

Eudora hesitated. “I think I will be busy with some work today myself. Thank you for your offer.”

Evelina didn’t seem to think anything was amiss. “That is well. Come, Rowena.”

Rowena followed, but glanced back at her sister standing there in the large elf hall.

“Don’t worry,” said Eudora softly. “I won’t be far away.”

Smiling, Rowena disappeared into a stone door with the elf lady. Eudora went the opposite direction and headed for the king’s court. ‘That’s where Eugene and Alfred will most likely be,’ she said to herself. ‘Maybe I’ll catch a glimpse of the company.’

Sure enough, when Eudora rounded the corner, a group of twelve bearded men were to be seen before the Woodland King. Eudora crept quietly along the wall and snuck behind several soldiers who were concentrating on the mysterious group before them. No matter how the king asked about their mission, the dwarfs would not begin to answer.

“I see that you are not going to open your mouths,” the Woodland king said in a stern voice. “You will be put in individual cells until you are ready to speak the truth. Theron, lead them away.”

Eudora saw that Eugene was among the soldiers who were taking the company to their sad abodes. She felt terribly sorry for them, knowing that she couldn’t do any thing for them. Then, the thought came to her and she dashed away. ‘The king is not going to starve his prisoners, of course,’ Eudora said to herself. ‘I’ll help make some nutritious food for them.’

Sure enough, Alfred came to the kitchen with orders to provide the new prisoners with food. Eudora smiled at him and he smiled back. ‘Perhaps things are going all right after all,’ she comforted herself. As she stirred the stew humming a new tune she had heard the elves singing the night before, she realized that she was helping the dwarfs accomplish whatever goal they had told Bilbo about. That thought, and the steam from the stew, warmed her through and through.

Eugene studied the dwarfs in front of him. Vainly he tried to recall their names. They all had on hoods of different colors but this only helped to confuse him the more. Brandishing a chain of many keys, the head guard unlocked each cell door. Eugene shut it firmly behind each prisoner. All the while he was tossing possibilities around in his mind. How could he help these poor dwarfs escape? That’s when he remembered the Burglar. Yes, of course, Bilbo, the little hobbit, would have to be about somewhere. But why hadn’t he been caught with the others? That kept Eugene’s mind busy for the rest of the day as he bustled about running errands for the king and learning about Elf warfare.

Alfred trailed Eugene as much as he could. Often he would lurk in the dark corners, searching for the hobbit. Once he was almost certain he saw a bit of shadow running across the floor. He tried to chase after it, but lost the trail almost immediately.

Eudora was having a wonderful time in the kitchen with the Elves. They brought her into their store house and told her how the barrels were brought to and from Lake Town. She listened intently as they described the town. To Eudora, Lake Town sounded much like home. As she wove in and out of the barrels helping to unpack the recent load of the supplies, she tried in vain to think of a way for her to go down the river. The Elves introduced her to the elf who was in charge of all the special wines that the King ordered.

“No one knows more about that process than he does,” they praised. He beamed with pride.

Rowena was enjoying her sewing lessons with Angelica and Evelina. She loved the girls’ mother, a quiet, gray eyed Elf who was full of motherly wisdom and care. Rowena learned the secret to elvish clothing and watched with delight when the silver and gold strands were woven into the fabric. She wouldn’t have been happier anywhere else. Often, her mind drifted to what her sister and brothers were doing. She felt that something exciting was going on but she couldn’t understand what it was.

By suppertime, the children were all tired out and ready to enjoy a feast with the king. The elves were filled with the good wine and were as jolly as ever. Songs of  elvish history floated about the children as they ate the delicious meal. Eudora and Rowena smiled delightfully at each other and the boys were glad to see that their sisters were well. It had been a busy day for all of them. No doubt they were ready to climb in bed and start whispering.

Suddenly, Alfred’s attention was diverted towards the neighboring table. The elves who served the delicacies had just moved away from the food filled table and were making sure that the king had everything he needed. Alfred watched in astonishment as a cup of beer was removed from the table, drunk, and then returned. As if that wasn’t enough, the invisible burglar also downed several sweet buns and took off with a whole steak! That’s when Alfred realized that the little hobbit was indeed inside the Elf’s cave and was taking advantage of that ring’s possibilities. He began to laugh and laugh and kept on laughing until Eugene shook him.

“What in the world is the matter with you?”

Alfred sobered up quickly. It wouldn’t do to ruin Bilbo’s journey and the escape of the dwarfs! He dismissed his sisters’ interrogations and bent over his supper once more.

Finally when the four children were in their room alone, Alfred quietly told them about how he had seen the invisible burglar. Eudora’s eyes grew wide. “You mean to say that that short hobbit is in here but he’s invisible?”

“That’s right. But, you have to understand everyone. We must not forget where we are and who we are. We do not have a choice in the matter. We must not, cannot let this secret escape.”

“Well, if you can keep a secret, I can,” said Rowena.

“Me too. I’ve been thinking all day about how I can help the dwarfs escape. Nothing works that I can think of.” Eugene stared at the ceiling.

“I’ll definitely not be speaking to anyone about anything. I think that Bilbo will find a way. He seems to be a very good burglar. What I am wondering is, where is Gandalf?”

“Gandalf! I forgot! We need a wizard right now, don’t we?” Alfred said.

“Shhh, we’d better stop or else some eavesdropper will hear us,” Rowena cautioned.

It was a good thing that the children stopped talking when they did. Just as they rolled over to find comfortable sleeping positions, a small figure stopped outside their door. If Eudora hadn’t closed her tired lids, she might have seen two bright eyes staring at her from the crack under the door.

Almost a fortnight later, Alfred and Eudora were seated by the window trying to find the moon. Eugene and Rowena were asleep. “I read in the book that Bilbo is going to find a way to escape,” Alfred whispered softly.

Eudora’s eyes shone. “Are you certain?”

“Yes. Here’s how.” Alfred finally let someone else into the secret he had been holding for so long.

Eudora looked extremely pleased. “Oh, Alfred! I wish I could do that too!”

“What?”

She bent her head to her brother’s ear. “I want to go to Lake Town. Please, will you shut me up in a barrel too?”

Alfred looked at her incredulously. “You don’t understand, sister. You will have to be in a barrel for many days.” He lowered his voice. “Even some of the dwarfs will almost die on the way!”

“I don’t care,” she said standing up. Her shadow blended in with the darkness. “I am going to Lake Town. Legolas hasn’t come up with a plan, so you and I will.”

Alfred sat there half amazed, half frightened. “No, Eudora. You can’t do that.”

“Just pack me with some food and water and I’ll live,” Eudora commanded. “I’m going to Lake Town.”

“You can’t do this! I don’t want to be blamed for your death.” Tears actually filled Alfred’s wide eyes.

Eudora put both her hands on her brother’s shoulders. “Nothing will happen.”

“But you don’t understand. Terrible things are coming to Lake Town.”

“Whatever happens, I am ready for it. I am going to get a bow from the elves tomorrow and some arrows too,” Eudora determined. A light filled her eyes and she seemed to grow taller. “Even if some beast that breathes, let’s say, fire emerges from that mountain, I am going to Lake Town.”

Alfred almost smiled. “Well, then, I see that you have made up your mind.” He reached into his pocket. “Take this with you,” he said handing it to her.

She opened up the paper and looked at the words written there. She had to squint because the new moon was almost upon them. Her eyes fell upon a beautiful script. The words read, “When the lake flows with gold, be on alert. Look for an old thrush like the kind Eudora loves. Then, look for a tall man with long, black hair. He is Bard. He will know what to do.”

Eudora looked at her brother. “Where did you get this?”

“I wrote it down one night during the full moon. I’m giving it to you so that you will be informed and be safe. The river will not really run with gold. It will only appear so.” He shuddered in the same way that Eudora had seen him do before. She understood this time.

They went to bed soon after. Eudora tucked the paper deep into the folds of her cloak.

The next morning they were awakened by a trumpet. Eugene fairly lept out of bed. “That’s the kings summons. I must be going,” he exclaimed. He rushed into his clothes and ran out of the room. Alfred was quick to follow too. The girls dressed at a much more comfortable rate. Eudora dared not tell Rowena of her conversation with Alfred. It would cause too much fright and disturbance.

Alfred passed the dinning hall. Already the elves were setting out the lovely dishes of food. He decided that he was going to find the place where the wine and goods were stored. He vanished down a dark hall and crept over a thresh hold. A winking light guided him down into a large warehouse room. No one occupied the area at the present. Alfred grabbed the candle and examined his surroundings. He heard water running and sure enough, he was able to find the port hole where the barrels were to be dropped. Suddenly, he heard footsteps.

“Goodness gracious me,” the voice said. “It’s so dark in here. I’m sure that I left a candle burning. I’ll have to go get a lamp. What a fool.”

The elf retraced his steps and Alfred finished his inspection hurriedly. He planted the candle where it belonged and ducked behind a barrel just in time before the elf returned. The surprised wine guardian shook his head. “I don’t understand this. Those dwarfs have caused some uproar since they entered our vicinity. Even since the king dealt with them, mysterious things are happening.” The elf left the candle and moved on. Alfred darted away and fled down the passage way. He stepped into a dark corner and nearly collided into something invisible.

“What on earth?” he said. Then, he whispered excitedly, “Please Bilbo, I’m not an elf. I won’t tell on you. Just come with me for a second. I need to talk to you.”

No answer.

“Please, Mr. Bilbo. I need to talk to you. I need your help. I promise I am not an elf at all.”

A few seconds later, Bilbo appeared and stared at him. Alfred smiled triumphantly.

“My!” he whispered again. “You are just as great as the book says. My name is Alfred and I am stuck here too just like you and your dwarf friends.”

Immediately, Bilbo disappeared and Alfred felt him race passed him. “Oh, Bilbo! What did I do?” Alfred exclaimed sadly. He made sure no one was watching and then he crept quietly into the dinning hall. His plan hadn’t worked. But, of course, his busy brain had a back up plan. Breakfast had commenced and the elves were busily singing and discussing the plans for a huge wine feast that the king was hosting in the Royal Hall. Alfred got up from his seat and filled his plate with a generous supply of food. He then placed it nearer to the floor so that Bilbo could reach it easier. Several minutes later, the food was gone and the plate emptied. Alfred smiled to himself and he tried it again.

Later that afternoon, Eudora decided to do some of her own snooping. With her soft elvish shoes on, she made no sound as she skipped up the stairs. Evelina had showed her the grand armory where the king stored his war articles. Eudora quietly opened the large oak door and stepped onto the bright green mat that had been woven of fresh reeds. Rows and rows of shield, spears, and bows lined the walls. Helmets hung on hooks. Then, she spied the sheaths of arrows. Like a mouse, she stole across the room and picked up a small bow. She grabbed a sheath that contained five arrows in it. Then, she hid the articles under her cloak and quickly exited the room. The door shut, echoing through the hall. That startled her. Soon, she could hear voices. They seemed to be coming closer. Just at the last moment, the voices turned, leaving Eudora sighing in relief. She scurried away to her room. There was Alfred talking with someone. That someone disappeared when she entered.

“Bilbo! That’s my sister Eudora that I was talking about,” he said in a strained voice.

Bilbo appeared again and smiled. “Hullo, there,” he said. “I’m Bilbo Baggins, professional burglar. I was just about to tell your brother about how I plan to escape with my friends.” He whispered the plan and Alfred and Eudora listened carefully.

“Wow. You are very intelligent,” praised Eudora.

Bilbo shook his head humbly. “I am only trying to help my friends out as best as I can. This is the only possible way to try. Now or never.”

“Thank you for talking with us,” said Alfred, quite pleased. “And we promise again, we would never ever share any secret with the elves no matter what it was.”

“I can see that you are honest,” he stated simply. “Thanks for helping me get the food easier,” he said to Alfred. “I’ve been watching you four and even though your tall brother locked up my friends, I could tell that he hated to do it. I’ve seen him more than one pacing in front of the cells as if he is trying to figure out an escape plan.” He shook our hands.

“Perhaps we’ll meet again,” Alfred said.

Bilbo’s face turned grim at this. “Perhaps not. My luck might not hold out. We shall see. I’ll get your help if I need it.”

They parted ways with their new friend. Eudora showed Alfred the bow and arrows.

“Did you really see all of their war instruments? Oh, I wish I could,” sighed Alfred.

Promptly, Eudora ripped a bit of paper from the message that Alfred had given her and drew directions to the large royal room. “Stick to these instructions and you will find it very easily.”

He deposited the paper into his pocket and said, “Now, let’s sneak down to the storehouse and wait for Bilbo to steal the keys.”

“I’m going to change into my regular clothes. I do not want the people at Lake Town to think that I am an elf like Bilbo did.”

“I’ll be waiting for you in the food hall,” Alfred said and left.

Eudora put the elf clothing over her other outfit and hid the bow and arrows under the cloak again. She glanced around the room one more time. Then, she went to find Alfred.

Leftovers from the recent dinner were being cleared away. Between the trips of the servants, Alfred and Eudora filled a bag with food and a leather drinking bag with water. Finally, they were ready to head for the barrels.

“I wish I could say goodbye to the others,” Eudora said sadly.

Alfred shook his head. “They wouldn’t let you go and it really would make a huge interruption that could be very dangerous. I’ll give them a parting message.”

Eudora thought of her precious sister and that made her heart nearly lurch back. Then, Eugene’s face passed before her. What if she was to never see them again? “Tell them that I’ll miss them terribly. I think that if I go to Lake Town, I’ll be able to help us get home. I love you all very much.” She suddenly stopped. Someone was coming.

“Well, I’ll be needing your help tonight. You must meet me down in the store house at six o’clock sharp. Understand?”

From their hiding place behind a thick curtain, Alfred and Eudora watched the master of the wine instructing about two hand fulls of elves.

“We will be down as you say,” they said before hastening away. The master was about to brush passed the children, when he suddenly turned. Alfred and Eudora darted away.

Once hidden between the barrels, they whispered quietly for a long time. Presently, lamps were lighted in the little parlor and a man hummed quietly to himself. Though he inspected the rows of barrels to be dumped into the water that night, he never noticed the two frightened children.

The sun began to set. A jingling of keys could be heard and Alfred stood to see who it was. Sure enough, he said to Eudora, it was the captain in command of the very cells that the dwarfs were in.

“See here!” said the master loudly. “This is the most delicious wine there ever was. We shouldn’t let the King be the first to taste it. T’would be very noble to take the burden upon ourselves.”

“Indeed!” agreed the captain eagerly. The master poured each of them a huge tumbler of the wine. Before long, the men were laughing and singing gaily. Finally, they fell into a deep slumber.

Eudora and Alfred left their post and peeked at the captain. They watched as his keys were removed and taken away. “That was Bilbo. Now, we must get you packed.” Alfred opened the lid of a small barrel and helped Eudora get in. Then, he grabbed any material he could find and put it all around her. He handed her the food and water. She handed him her elf clothes.

“Goodbye, dear Alfred,” She said, tears filling her eyes. “I’ll see you soon.”

Alfred kissed his sister’s hand and put the lid on. After making sure the barrel was secure, Alfred slipped away.

Gwyndalf the Wise
                            @gwyndalf-the-wise

@orielle21

No worries!

Wow, you remember a lot of details. *round of applause almost put applesauce on accident* I think I need to reread the Hobbit now. XD

Aaaand I’m not ignoring your third installment, I just gotta do school first before reading it. =)

Orielle2023
                              @orielle21

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Aaaand I’m not ignoring your third installment, I just gotta do school first before reading it. =)

Good for you. 👍🏻👏🏻 It takes effort to be disciplined.

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 692

@orielle21

I’m really sorry but I’m going through some rough stuff rn (see my profile to find out what it is. I put an update there) so I was wondering if you could please stop tagging me. I can’t keep up and my mind is just not doing great rn. I forgot to tag you on the update but yeah, check that out. 😉 Thanks for understanding. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >