#FairytaleReimaginings

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions #FairytaleReimaginings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gracie J.
    @gracie-j
      • Total Posts: 1789

#ijusthadtousethattitlebecausemytopicisallabouttitlesandineededsomethingeyecatchingandihavedevelopedanaffinityforhashtagsparticularlythelongonesyoucannotread

Ahem. As the title suggests, this topic is created to focus upon fairytale reimaginings–particularly the collection of which I have begun outlining and need titles for.

A while back, y’all took a survey for me about your favorite fairytales. Here are the results:

#1 Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella (eight votes each)

#2 Swan Lake and The Snow Queen (seven votes each)

#3 The Little Mermaid (six votes)

Honorable mention goes to Snow White, which received a total of ZERO votes. Someone please explain that to me.

Anyway, now I am in need of titles. I have a theme, plots/characters (thanks to the lovely @godlyfantasy12, who came up with half of the ideas; you are a life-saver, girl!), and a title for the collection: The Masqueraders.

At least one character in each of these stories pretends to be something they are not or are perceived as something they aren’t–based on characters/circumstances from the fairytales.

Therefore, I have a couple titles so far…

A Disguise of Devotion

A Pretense of Perfection

Basically, if y’all can come up with four more synonyms for “pretense” and “masquerade,” I think I’ll be set. I mostly wanted to share the poll results with y’all, since I am SUPER grateful for all of your help!

By the way, if you’d like to beta-read any (or all) of the stories (they’ll be roughly novella-length), let me know and I’ll put you on the list! 🙂 Merci, mes amis!

@issawriter7
      @lewilliams @mkfairygirl @r-m-archer @nanisnook @writerlexi1216 @scripter-of-kingdoms @e-k-seaver @joy-caroline @kathleenramm @nova21 @my-mind-went-blank @i-know-there-are-more-of-you-guys @i-just-can’t-remember-you-right-now @consider-yourself-tagged

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Issabelle Perry
      @issawriter7
        • Total Posts: 976

@gracie-j

#YESSILOOVETHETITLEANDYOURLONGHASHTAGSTHATAREIMPOSSIBLETOREAD #endlessexclamationmarks (Though, I was able to read your long hashtag. It was hard to decipher the words, but I did it!!) Anyway I am SO PUMPED for these fairy tale retellings. which is like perfect timing for you to write these as I am really into that genre And I LOVE the ones that were picked!!!! *wonders how I can convince Gracie to do an Aladdin retelling* *maybe I should explain the dire need for Aladdin retellings* XDDDD

Oh, and sorry Snow White, I guess we’ve just all read a lot of retellings for your story. <333

Lemme see if I can come up with a few synonyms for ya, girl! *googling synonyms for pretense* Here’s what I got from good ole google: act, simulation, falsification, imagination, deception, fraudulence, fabrication, treachery, trickery, pretext, guise, ruse

Well, maybe that sparked some inspiration. 😉 Anyway, just gonna verify that I am TOTALLY gonna be on the beta list for this! I want ’em all!!! <3333

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
        TeenWritersNook.com

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j

@issawriter7 #iknewyoucouldoditgirl YAY!!!!!!

Ooh…I’ll definitely have to do one eventually! *grabs a pen and sticky note*

Yeah, I know! I’m not upset about it, that’s for sure!

Thank you, Izzy! (And Google! XD) I’ll definitely have to use “ruse” and possibly “deception”! Let see, A Ruse of…Radishes? Roadblocks? Eh, I’ll think about it! XD

EEE!!! Yay! I can’t wait to share them with you!!

Alexa Autorski
          @writerlexi1216
            • Total Posts: 1011

@gracie-j

#ialsoloveridiculouslylonghashtagsthatareimpossibletoreadsoiunderstandgirl

*ahem* I was able to read the hashtag, however, and am proud of myself for that. Anyways, yay I’ve been looking out for this post for so long!! I remember being very excited when I voted (are we allowed to spill the beans about what we voted for? Because I voted ‘Mulan’) and then I thought about what kind of amazing storyline you’d come up with! 🙂 Also R.I.P possible Snow White retelling XD (Sorry, Snow White, we’ve seen enough of your retellings).

I absolutely adore those titles! Especially the second one:)

I googled some synonyms for ‘masquerade’ and ‘pretense’ and came up with: ruse, facade, charade, imitation, artifice. Not sure if those helped *honorable mention to WordHippo, my go-to synonym finder XD* but I know that either way it will be fabulous!! And yes, I’d very much enjoy reading them, if you wouldn’t mind signing me up! I can’t promise I’ll be quick (getting behind on school/having a non-stop schedule has destroyed my reading life) but I’d still love to read them whenever I have the time!!:)

ella
            @nova21
              • Total Posts: 604

@gracie-j

I love all your story ideas!!  Snow White is great, but I have read a lot of retellings recently, sooo….  Anyways, I’d happily sign up for your beta-list!!!  I love fairytale retellings SO much!!!

#happyday #lovebeta-ing #fairytalereimaginingsforever

what we do in life echoes in eternity
              -gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j

@writerlexi1216 #yougogirl #iwasabletoreadyours

Yes, you can definitely spill the beans! I’d honestly love to know!

Thank you! Ah, artifice and charade sound perfect! I intend to use façade too, but the question is of what word would I use that starts with f? I’ll have to think about that! A Façade of …

Awesome! I’m still in the outlining stages, so it might not be until summer before I finish writing them! I can’t wait to share!

Btw, this is what I’ve got by way of a summary for the Mulan retelling (let me know what you think!):

A Disguise of Devotion

– a Mulan retelling –

Russia, 1812

“I do nothing for Russia. I do all for my family.”

Magnolia Zima has suffered time and again at the hands of the French—from her runaway aristocratic father to Napoleon who thirsts for domination of her home country. For the sake of her family, she disguises as a boy to deliver an important message to the Russian troops.

@nova21
                Aw, thank you!!!

Abigail.M.
                @abigail-m
                  • Total Posts: 1242

@gracie-j

*Gasps* I love that title ‘The Masqueraders’ and I think these sound like awesome stories! 😀

Yes, sorry about Snow White, I’m a Mulan fan myself 🙂 Hmm, let me think of titles… Okay here is a couple, but I have no idea if they help or not:

A Charade of Charm

A Portrayal of Purity

A Cloak of Clarity (or Care).

And a few other synonyms I found are: performance, appearance, betrayal, deception, camouflage, facade, mirage, image, and treachery.
                  Anyway, I hope that helped a bit:) I’m not the best at coming up with titles sometimes XD

AND OH MY WORD I LOVE THE EXCERPT!!! I mean I love stories set in Russia, I love Mulan and I love retellings. That is perfect! (If you ever need beta-readers for it, *raises hand* 🙂

Elizabeth
                  @lewilliams
                    • Total Posts: 252

@gracie-j #manthisisbringingmebacktomyInstadays #ItooamatremendousfanofridiculouslylonghashtagssoIgetyougirl

This is such a neat concept!!! I’m not sure how much help I’ll be (it seems that you’ve already been suggested most of the synonyms that I can think of), but I’ll definitely mull it over and see if I can think of any! Though Thesaurus . com did remind me of one of my favorite literary terms: simulacrum, which may help(?)

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Gracie J.
                    @gracie-j

@abigail-m AH! Those are PERFECT! Thank you so much!!

Oh, and I’m so glad you like the blurb! You’re definitely on the list for betas!!

@lewilliams
                      #thatisgoodtohear #thankyousomuch #myentirreplytoyouwillbecomposedofhashtagsbecauseitisfun #igreatlyappreciateit #ireallylikeyourtagline

Abigail.M.
                      @abigail-m
                        • Total Posts: 1242

@gracie-j

Your welcome:) And thank you so much!!! I can’t wait:D

Alexa Autorski
                        @writerlexi1216
                          • Total Posts: 1011

@gracie-j

Ah, that’s good to know!! 😉 Well, I voted Mulan because honestly it’s one of my personal favorite fairytales ever!! So the beans have been spilled. Ah, I’m glad to know my synonyms helped you!! I think you’re doing fantastic with those titles. And summer is the absolute best time for reading for me, since I’ll have so much more free time, so I’ll 100% read them!!:) Hey, that synopsis is INCREDIBLE, girl!!! I love the way you’ve altered the storyline and reimagined it in Russia–that’s such an interesting twist!! And I love Mulan’s new name, too–I mean, everything about this sounds amazing! I can’t wait to see this incredible retelling come to life!! 🙂

Gracie J.
                          @gracie-j

@writerlexi1216 Thank you! 🙂 Fun fact: I chose Magnolia because Mulan means magnolia, so it worked out all too well!

Linyang Zhang
                            @devastate-lasting
                              • Total Posts: 1700

@gracie-j I had to memorise the original Mulan text so if you need any help or something…y’know…hit me up?

Lately, it's been on my brain
                              Would you mind letting me know
                              If hours don't turn into days

Elizabeth
                              @lewilliams
                                • Total Posts: 252

@gracie-j #youareverywelcome #pleasekeepmeinformedwhenyoureleasetheseretellingsbtw #imdyingtoreadthemnow #alsoimstartingapetitiontostartcommunicatingentirelythroughhashtags #thisiswaytoomuchfun #okayineedtostop

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Gracie J.
                                @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting I will! Thank you!!

@lewilliams
                                  #icertainlywill #iamsogladyouaresoexcited #iwilldefinitelysignmyname

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >