Fairy Characters šŸ§šā€ā™€ļø

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Characters ā€ŗ Fairy Characters šŸ§šā€ā™€ļø

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kads
    @scripter-of-kingdoms
      • Total Posts: 765

Hello everyone! Iā€™ve been wondering how to make my fairy characters really shine. I have three main fairy characters, named Reike (sheā€™s not as main as the other two though) Faye, and Sje. (No rhyme intended with the last two XD) I want to make them all individual, and get away from stereotypes. Sje dies early in one of the books, and Reike is kinda a damsel in distress, and I feel like Faye might be too much like Holly Short. My fairies need help! Any suggestions?

staring at the fields
      if nothing's really real
      i'll make the winter now my home

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

@scripter-of-kingdoms so not sure who Holly Short is, but I suggest really looking into their core personalities. Maybe take a personality quiz as them? (I suggest 16personalities.com or whatever) take their basic personality or how u see them (for instance Reikeā€™s damsel-in-distress nature) and find out WHY do they act like that? Why is this is their personalities?

Did something make her feel she canā€™t rescue herself? Or would she just prefer to not do the work? Or a completely different reasons?

As for being original with their race, u can either do ur own thing like maybe making ur Fairies almost like a cross between another mythical creature, or giving them certain appearances. Do they have powers? How do they dress and treat each other? Are there any races they donā€™t like or that they adore?

Ā 

A lot of originality can come from looks, even little things, like pointed ears, different kind of wings (think bird, or bat, or furry wings, or wings made of bone or glass!) unusual colored eyes, hair or skin, and such.

And also remember not to worry too much because while some things may be cliche or ā€œoverusedā€ we, as humans, still go back and read those kinda things because we know what we like. Doesnā€™t matter if a thousand other books have fairies in it, we like fairies so weā€™ll buy the book. Or, we like fantasy so we know that there are gonna be races in it that weā€™ve seen before ya know?

Ā 

hope this helps!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@scripter-of-kingdoms I have never made fairy characters beforeā€¦and I donā€™t write this type of fantasyā€¦so Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t be of much helpā€¦but I can tag some other people for you!

And also Iā€™ve never read books with fairies in them before? Besides Artemis Fowl and fairy talesā€¦and when you mention fairies the only stereotype I can think of is like the fairies from Disneyā€™s Sleeping Beautyā€¦good luck tho!

@gracie-j
          @joy-caroline @writerlexi1216

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m
            • Total Posts: 1242

@scripter-of-kingdoms

It looks like you have an awesome fairy cast! (I love all the names btw:)
            So the advice that I have is to treat them like humans at first to get to the roots of their personalities and dispositions. (My favorite method is holding individual interviews with the characters in question).
            But going deeper: fairies donā€™t have the same mindset as humans. They have different priorities and ways of responding to situations. In fact, that goes for all fantastical creatures. A unicorn wonā€™t act like a kelpie, like a sprite wonā€™t behave like a fairy, like a giant wonā€™t think like a faun. This is such a fun part of fantasy because there are so many different things happening at once and so many ā€œcreature-culturesā€ to fill the world thatā€™s built.
            The creature genre: fairy, is extremely diverse. Every author, wizard, and little girl who keeps a gold cage under their bed has a different opinion on fairies, what they look like and who they truly are. So thatā€™s another *insert opinion/imagination* area. But faires (depending on origins) often have tempers, lightfooted actions, and are very extroverted and flashy with their magic. So maybe reverse or mix up the normal fairy expectations?

And a great area to make them stand out is their magic. Some faires are able to aid nature or conjure light-illusions. Perhaps they can use their magic for only a limited time? Can do only one spell at a time because they canā€™t focus well? Have to be in a certain mindset to use their spells?
            The possibilities go on forever with faires:)

Kads
            @scripter-of-kingdoms

@godlyfantasy12 Thank you for the pointers!! Iā€™ll definitely use those. šŸ™‚

@devastate-lasting
              Well, maybe once Iā€™m published youā€™ll read a couple fairy books šŸ˜‰ šŸ˜‰

@abigail-m
              THANK YOU SO MUCH!! That was actually REALLY helpful, I screenshotted it so I can look at it whenever I need šŸ˜€ thank you so much again! Iā€™ll definitely use those tips.

Ā 

staring at the fields
              if nothing's really real

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

@scripter-of-kingdoms Of course! Iā€™d love to read your books!

Kads
                @scripter-of-kingdoms

@devastate-lasting Aw, yay! Iā€™m trying to get book one of eight done at the moment XD itā€™s kinda stressful but I think itā€™ll be worth it. šŸ˜€

staring at the fields
                  if nothing's really real

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting

@scripter-of-kingdoms Good luck!

Kads
                    @scripter-of-kingdoms

@devastate-lasting Thank you!! šŸ˜Š

Also, I havenā€™t forgotten about making the manga panels, Iā€™ve just been busy and havenā€™t had the time to, lol. Iā€™ll try to get cracking on that but no promises itā€™ll be good. XD

staring at the fields
                      if nothing's really real

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting

@scripter-of-kingdoms Of course! Take everything on your own time. I know youā€™ve been busy.

Kads
                        @scripter-of-kingdoms

@devastate-lasting Do you have any suggestions for what the manga should be about? I was considering inspiring from one of my WIPs but it seemed kinda hard.. would it be ok if I just literally drew a scene from one of my books in manga style? XD

staring at the fields
                          if nothing's really real

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting

@scripter-of-kingdoms A scene from your book seems like a good place to start! After all, you know what itā€™s gonna be like, so it should be easier than starting from scratch.

Kads
                            @scripter-of-kingdoms

@devastate-lasting Ok, Iā€™ll try to do that then, lol. Iā€™ve been studying formatting and technicalities in manga, so hopefully that helps too.

(YAY I GET TO DRAW MY CHARRIES IN MANGA STYLEEEEEE)

staring at the fields
                              if nothing's really real

Katherine
                              @mkfairygirl
                                • Total Posts: 549

@scripter-of-kingdoms Oooh, thatā€™s so cool that you have fairies in you novel!!!!!! As you probably already guessed, I love fairies!!! šŸ™‚

I donā€™t know how much help I will be but here are some suggestions or things to think about. What kind of magic do your fairies use? Is it fairy dust, wands, or hand magic? Are they small fairies or people-sized fairies? Maybe each fairy uses magic differently? Maybe one of your fairies likes to use magic but another one would rather do without magic? How close are they to nature (basically, are they nature oriented)? Sorry if I wasnā€™t much help. šŸ™‚

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                                Fall in love with Jesus

Abigail.M.
                                @abigail-m
                                  • Total Posts: 1242

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Iā€™m glad I could help:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >