Encouragement for the Weary Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Encouragement for the Weary Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Esther
    @esther-c
      • Total Posts: 3205

Hey, all!!

So I thought that we needed a thread on here solely dedicated to encouragement. My idea was to post Bible verses and quotes on here to simply encourage each other. I’m not trying to prohibit sharing prayer requests on here, but I think on this thread we should only share prayer requests that relate to writing, since the title is, “Encouragement for the Weary Writer.” 🙂

I’ll start.

“Whereas many have undertaken to write a narrative of those things which are most surely believed among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word, it seemed good to me also, having accurately investigated all things from the very beginning, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, that you might know the certainty of the things which you have been told.”
      ‭‭Luke‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭4‬ ‭

This passage reminds me that it is OKAY to write truth-based cliches. The world needs truth. Sure, lots of people have written books with your chosen theme, but does that matter? Christians and unbelievers alike need to be reminded of or shown God’s truth. So it’s alright to write books with “cliche” themes. If God is calling you to do it, then do it. The more light the better. 😉

@godlyfantasy12
      @freedomwriter76 @lightoverdarkness6 @mineralizedwritings @felicity @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @loopylin @theloonyone @starofthenorth @joy-caroline @gracie-j @booksandbeakers @orielle21 @otherworldlyhistorian @everyone!

Please tag anyone else!! We all need encouragement at some point or another. 🙂

Oh, and I was thinking, maybe we don’t necessarily tag everyone when we post. We could all just subscribe to the topic and get emails every time someone posts something. Does that work?

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Felicity
      @felicity
        • Total Posts: 811

@esther-c

This is an important topic that I tend to overlook sometimes. I just get so focused on actually writing that I forget to ask God for inspiration, glean encouragement from the scriptures and be refreshed.

That was a great verse! If God is calling you to write about a certain thing, don’t let anyone tell you it’s too cliched.

Here’s a verse I read today from Psalm 44:18-19:

“If I say, My foot slips, Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.”

Also here is a quote I found yesterday when listening to the Literary Life Podcast:

A good story isn’t told to make a point. A good story reflects the world God created. The point makes itself.  -Timothy Rollins

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Esther
        @esther-c

@felcity

I love that verse! And that quote is going on my “quotes wall.” 🙂

Light
          @lightoverdarkness6
            • Total Posts: 1626

@esther-c

Ooh!! Great topic!! We do need to focus on encouragement more ;). Thank you for creating this!!
            I love that scipture. <3 <3

@felicity

That’s such good scripture and quote!! 😀

#HugRikerSquad

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 692

Hey, great idea @esther-c

Just subscribed. 😉

Esther
              @esther-c

“He said this, signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. When He had said this, He said to him, “Follow Me.” Peter turned and saw following them the disciple whom Jesus loved, who also leaned against His bosom at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray You?” When Peter saw him, he said to ­Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If it is My will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow Me!””
                ‭‭John‬ ‭21‬:‭19‬-‭22‬ ‭

Don’t compare yourself or your writing to others and their writing. You and your writing are unique. God has called you. You don’t need to worry about what God is doing with other people. Don’t compare yourself. Don’t try to measure up to others. Simply follow God and His leading.

“Don’t compare your day one to someone else’s day one hundred.” — Unknown

“Comparison is the thief of joy.” — Theodore Roosevelt

Esther
                @esther-c

@gwyndalf-the-wise , this is the topic I mentioned. 🙂

@everyone-else

“One generation shall praise Your works to another and shall declare Your mighty acts. I will speak of the glorious honor of Your majesty and of Your wondrous works. They shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, and I will declare Your greatness. They shall abundantly declare the fame of Your great goodness and shall sing of Your righteousness.”
                  ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭145‬:‭4‬-‭7‬ ‭

“not that we are sufficient in ourselves to take credit for anything of ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God,”
                  ‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3‬:‭5‬ ‭

“May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.”
                  ‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭3‬:‭5‬ ‭

These three passages all have a theme that I’d like to share with y’all:

Our writing should be for Christ… and Christ only. It’s not bad to take credit for your work, but in the end, all glory should go to our Savior. Our goal should be to share with others how great our God is! There is none like Him! We should be pointing others upward to Him!

So take heart. It is not up to you to make your book touch someone’s life. (Please still edit it. XD) God will change hearts. When our hearts are in tune with His heart, we will write what He wants on the page. And that will one day change somebody’s life. You may never know it, but I promise you, it will. It doesn’t matter if your book never becomes a best seller. When you know that you wrote what God wanted you to write, you can have peace. After all, isn’t that our goal as Keepers? To write quality stories that glorify God.

Soli Deo Gloria (Glory to God alone)

Yep… that was kind of a rant and maybe I went a little off topic. But that’s okay. 😉

Gwyndalf the Wise
                  @gwyndalf-the-wise
                    • Total Posts: 404

@esther-c

Yep… that was kind of a rant and maybe I went a little off topic. But that’s okay. 😉

It was a rant I needed to hear. Thanks! =)

I’ve subscribed, now.

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
                    (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Esther
                    @esther-c

@gwyndalf-the-wise

It was a rant I needed to hear. Thanks! =)

That’s great! 😊

Esther
                      @esther-c

@c-j @charityanne @landric @freedomdreamer

Hey!! I just wanted to let you know that I created this topic recently to post encouragement whenever! Whether that be in the form of Bible verses, quotes, or something that you just want to share! (That’s related to writing, of course 🙂 )

I’ve been mainly posting on here, but anyone can! 😄

Just wanted to let you know.

Esther
                        @esther-c

This is something that I shared with my friends on YouVersion a little while ago and I wanted to share it with my friends here on KP! 😄 This isn’t totally all about writing, but an analogy that is related to writing and can apply to one’s day to day life. 🙂

We writers tend to put the characters that we love, through the most pain. Besides making our readers cry, we put the characters through that pain because we know that in the end they will be better because of it. (Unless they die… but that’s beyond the point 😅) When Christ is the Author of our stories, He may put us through a trial, but we have to trust him and give him the pen. We know that He has our story planned out to the tiniest detail. (Now, yes, sometimes our characters run off with the pen and the story is better, but God’s story for our lives is so much better than our ideas. By far. 😁) So just trust the greatest Author with your story and it will be a story worth telling again and again that showcases God’s greatness.

LandriC
                          @landric
                            • Total Posts: 105

That is great encouragement, @esther-c!! Thanks so much for tagging me on this post! I look forward to getting and sharing encouragement 😉

"To death or to victory"

Light
                            @lightoverdarkness6
                              • Total Posts: 1626

@esther-c

Thank you for sharing. We definitely need to hear that more. That’s so true. Thank you again 😀

#HugRikerSquad

Gwyndalf the Wise
                              @gwyndalf-the-wise
                                • Total Posts: 404

@esther-c

A good reminder. Thanks!

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
                                (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Felicity
                                @felicity
                                  • Total Posts: 811

@esther-c

Thank you for this encouragement! A recent quote I found goes like so:

A good story isn’t told to make a point. A good story reflects the world God created. The point makes itself.  -Timothy Rollins

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >