Emotions

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Emotions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SeekeroftheTruth
    @seekerofthetruth
      • Total Posts: 19

Hi, it’s SeekeroftheTruth!

I have a question that I need an answer to (no rush!:)). How do I describe a character feeling worthless in a situation, such as worrying about not being able to go to Heaven, or a similar emotion to such? I hope this is not depressing. I’m just trying to figure out how for one of my characters.

Anatra
      @anatra23
        • Total Posts: 211

@seekerofthetruth

Just for a bit of clarification, are you asking how to write a character like this?

Whenever I come over a bump like this I try to put myself in this person’s situation(figuratively, of course). Jsyk, I’m not super familiar with this kind of issue, but I did have a character who was dealing with thoughts like this–self deprecating ones–for abandoning her friends. I wrote her in a way that she would have to overcome her thoughts, so she could grow to see what she really was; a loyal friend.
        I spent a lot of time on her. Even thought I didn’t have much in common with her I imagined what it would be like to live like her with those thoughts.

Try to put down this character’s backstory in ink, to start, describe their arc from when they were happy or content to when they felt worthless.

Hope any of that helped!

SeekeroftheTruth
        @seekerofthetruth

Thank you! I understand what you mean, and it’s a good way to put it. In way, it’s like saying a character should be able to overcome his/her doubts in order to triumph over fears. But we can’t make a character all-the-time brave and all-the-time doubtless. For what I’ve learned is courage is not without fear, just as faith is not without doubt.

Scoutillus Finch
          @scoutfinch180
            • Total Posts: 413

@seekerofthetruth

You could also show by your character’s behavior, if this influences their daily routines at all, here are some examples:

I knew i really should brush my teeth, but what was the point? It wasn’t like i was going anywhere, nor like i was going to be talking to anyone.

Who even did listen to me? My parents? They were dead… and because it was my fault, God wouldn’t listen either.

I backed away from her touch, “Don’t. I’m not worth it.”

I was dragged out of the room and George beat the flames from my body. As I coughed up smoke and groaned, he yelled, “Are you an idiot! Why didn’t you get out of there?”

I sat up, “Because,” wincing, I pulled my knees up to my chest, “I’m not worth saving.”

I raised an eyebrow as Millie bandaged my arm, “Why’re you doing this?”

She gave me a sidelong glance.

“I mean, it’s not like I’m worth your time.”

“Henry?” Millie gaped as I stood there, leaning heavily on George’s arm. She rushed forward and threw her arms around me. I stood frozen for a long time before I finally responded to her touch. As Millie began to cry, George wrapped his arms about me too. I blinked, nonplussed. Was it possible that they… cared… about me?

I hope these examples help!

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Scoutillus Finch
            @scoutfinch180
              • Total Posts: 413

More sad thoughts for your struggling OC:

I was going to hell anyway, so how did fifty more years of misery on this earth make a difference? I was proclaimed a goner by all.

What would God want to do with me? I found myself repulsive, not to mention the others around me.

I really hope these help. My examples are a little broody, but peppered throughout your manuscript, they really could highlight your OCs struggles.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

SeekeroftheTruth
              @seekerofthetruth

Thank you for the examples, they actually help and can be relatable. Not only when it comes to characters but for the people who read about them in stories, as well. 🙂

Issabelle Perry
                @issawriter7
                  • Total Posts: 976

@seekerofthetruth

Oooooo, I’m glad you asked!!! Honestly, the first thing I would do is give the character internal questions. Like, if the character is worried about something, show the reader he/she asking the question to him/herself. Like how @scoutfinch180 did in the first two examples Scoutillus gave. Inner monologue can really go a long way!!!

Secondly, to be more specific about addressing the issue that your character is struggling with worry that he/she isn’t going to Heaven. This was honestly a worry I struggled with heavily about four years ago. So, I figured I could give you some examples from thoughts and things I did during that period for me. I know I prayed a lot, but at the same time, a person could feel unable to pray. For instance, sometimes when I’m struggling with some stuff in my life, I find it hard to take it to God. So that will be something you’ll have to understand if your character is someone who can take his/her problems directly to God or if she/he instinctively hides away from God. Another thing I did was I searched for answers. I even remember watching a YouTube video once about signs to know that you’re going to Heaven. Every piece of information I found that said I was a Christian and going to Heaven, I took comfort in. But worry isn’t just going to disappear overnight. That’s something you’ll struggle and fight with for years, especially if your character made the mistake I did by not finding peace and assurance in Jesus. I also remember even trying to say the prayer to become a Christian again on my own, but it never really helped much. Also, I never really sought help from parents or my pastor or anything. So that’s something else you’ll have to know if your character is the type of person who can take things to others or if he/she’s the kind to try to fix his/her problems on his/her own. I also know I felt a lot of shame because I was struggling with this. It was something that further proved I must not be a “good enough” Christian because “good” Christians don’t ever struggle with worry or fear. So that might be something your character also feels.

So I have no idea if any of this will be helpful, but that might give you some ideas on how to show the reader your character is struggling with this. 😉

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                  TeenWritersNook.com

SeekeroftheTruth
                  @seekerofthetruth

That actually really helps. To be honest, I know what that’s like to fear about not going to Heaven. I still struggle with that worry, and agree that worry does not just go away overnight (even though I wish it would). Thank you for the answers. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >