Doing NaNoWriMo with 3rd-5th graders…any advice?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Doing NaNoWriMo with 3rd-5th graders…any advice?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Amanda Fischer
    @wordfitlyspoken
      • Total Posts: 79

Hi everyone!

I’m afraid it’s been a while since I’ve popped my head in here. I’ve just started a job, so it’s been a crazy few weeks. But I’ve got a question for y’all.

I’m teaching a writing class to four 3rd-5th graders at my homeschool co-op this year, and we’re planning on doing NaNo. The thing is…I’m kind of running out of ideas of what to teach/cover before we get there. Last week I tried having them write from a picture prompt in class, but one kind of worries about spelling (so he spent the whole time asking how to spell this or that), one looked on the verge of tears (I think she’s shy and got a bit flustered at being put on the spot), and the other two wrote about two sentences and then proclaimed they were done.

Anyone else see the problem, here?

It seems like most of them prefer to do the actual writing at home, which I suppose is fine, but it means I need some more things to teach them about for the next four weeks. (We don’t have co-op one of the weeks in October, for some reason.)

So, any ideas? What would you teach elementary schoolers in preparation for NaNo? I’ve of course covered basic plot stuff, characters and goals, a bit about setting, suspense, obstacles, etc. But I was thinking about doing some more NaNo specific stuff or something. What would you have found helpful at that age?

Thanks!

Amanda Fischer
      @wordfitlyspoken
        • Total Posts: 79

Also, I should mention that I’ve had them work through two plot building worksheets from the NaNoWriMo YWP elementary school workbooks. So I don’t know that there’s much more to be done on the plotting side, although if anyone has any suggestions for that, feel free to give them!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      >