Does anyone else write sci-fi?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Sci-Fi Does anyone else write sci-fi?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Microphage6032
    @microphage6032
      • Total Posts: 24

Hello, I’m new to Kingdom Pen and I find that everywhere people often write historical fiction… but I don’t. I write sci-fi. Does anyone else write sci-fi? My science fiction comics are about (what I find to be) the coolest human body system: THE IMMUNE SYSTEM!!!

🦠🔬You can never have too many microscopes!🔬🦠

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@microphage6032 Sounds a little like Cells at Work, heh. Right now I’m working on a sci-fi novel, though I wouldn’t necessarily call it full sci-fi or my main genre.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Microphage6032
        @microphage6032

@devastate-lasting Yeah I heard about Cells at Work but I haven’t watched it. Also, unlike that anime, my characters aren’t humans that represent white blood cells; they are actual white blood cells. What’s your sci-fi novel about?

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@microphage6032 It’s about a guy who’s brother becomes a serial killer so he goes out to find him, but the only problem is everyone thinks he’s his brother. A retelling of the prodigal son, Cain and Abel, etc. It’s set on a different planet and there’s some things here and there but otherwise not too many sci-fi elements in it.

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

E. M. Trepke
            @e-m-trepke
              • Total Posts: 145

@microphage6032

Your sci-fi sounds cool! It would be interesting writing characters that are cells. I had never thought of that!

My sci-fi is set in space in the future. The big premise is that after humanity developed super advance space flight and terraforming technology, pretty much everyone left Earth. Now, hundreds of years later, no one knows where Earth is— and my MCs need to find Earth for a reason I will not disclose. (My idea is part space-western, part space-Indiana-Jones, and part Battlestar Galactica)

Also, what are your favourite sci-fi reads?

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
              -The Doctor

Folith-Feolin
              @folith-feolin
                • Total Posts: 310

@microphage6032

I write a Grimdark Fantasy however it does have some sci-fi elements such as a big tech corporation and battery powered reactors that push back against a dark force along with electric guns and blimps however the people create energy by extracting it from magi’s souls so I classify it as a fantasy also they are not really that much more advanced technology wise than WWII era.

Microphage6032
                @microphage6032

@e-m-trepke

Well… that’s the thing… I don’t really read sci-fi, I just make my own sci-fi.

When I was younger I enjoyed Squish graphic novels.

There was one space-themed sci-fi I read and I liked it at first, but then things spiraled downwards and I lost interest.

Most sci-fi’s are space themed and yeah space is cool, but I’m more of a microbiology/human physiology/immunology person.

Do you know of any sci-fi’s about microbiology/human physiology/immunology?

P.S. Sorry for posting this late I’ve been busy :/

E. M. Trepke
                  @e-m-trepke
                    • Total Posts: 145

@microphage6032

I have not read the Squish graphic novels.

I think it’s really cool that your sci-fi is about microbiology. I myself have always been more interested the sci-fi concepts of human space exploration and colonization, so that is what I’m writing about. Ever since the “big” franchises of sci-fi came out, most of what people call sci-fi is really space opera, so I think most people have forgotten that instead of writing on the (physically) larger side of the spectrum (planets), one can write on the smaller side, about microbiology and microorganisms.

I have not heard of any microbiology/human physiology/immunology sci-fis — except yours! I look forward to hearing more about your sci-fi.

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
                    -The Doctor

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 692

@microphage6032

I write futuristic Sci-if. Just started one based on Back to the Future. If you enjoy Sci-fi, that’s a fun one to watch. Just know that there’s really bad language in it and a few inappropriate scenes. If you have something that takes out the bad stuff, you should definitely watch it. Sadly, we don’t so I don’t watch it that often.

TheLoonyOne
                      @theloonyone
                        • Total Posts: 404

@microphage6032

I’ve written a bit of sci-fi (I’m currently writing a sci-fi, but the sci-fi elements aren’t strong- it’s mostly romance…) but it’s not my main genre. But you’re writing a graphic novel? That’s so cool! And I love the idea of the characters being white blood cells. How does that work? I have, also, written a short story about the digestive system… and a family of graham crackers… and one about an oxygen particle who goes through cellular respiration… it was for school 😐😂

Microphage6032
                        @microphage6032

@sarafini

Yeah I tried watching it but soon just stopped watching it, so…

Nice to meet you though. 🙂

Microphage6032
                          @microphage6032

@theloonyone

Hello there.

First, why do you love the idea of white blood cells being characters? (I’m just curious)

Well, my designs for the characters are pretty simple and their job is simple: look out for germs, and destroy them. Then, you personify the characters (I have A LOT of white blood cell and germ characters and I created a personality for almost ALL of them). The design for macrophages and neutrophils had to be different because they’re the ones who literally EAT the germs, while the other characters have arms to use swords (T-cells) and bows (B-cells).

Side note: These comics will be way better than Osmosis Jones (the weirdest movie I’ve ever seen[the trailer made it look better than the actual movie])

Do you still have those stories? I would love to read them 🙂

TheLoonyOne
                            @theloonyone

@microphage6032

Well it’s definitely different and unique and I also like when a personality is given to something that doesn’t usually have a personality. I know it has a name, but I don’t remember what it is. 😂 It’s usually done with animals.

Ooh, they sound really cool!

I watched the trailer for Osmosis Jones… it was strange

Hehe… yea I still have them… Rereading them I’m remembering how morbid they are 🤣 Enjoy…

This is my cell processes short story from four-ish years ago:

It is my 5th second inside the cell, and it is starting to get tiring. I am with my family waiting to get used for cellular respiration. The thing is, we’re currently inside a running fox, which we got inside by it breathing us in.

I’m an oxygen particle. So is the rest of my family. We’ve been floating around most of our lives. When this running fox suddenly whisks by us, then breaths us in, it’s a bit much for us to handle. We were all taught what we’re meant for, and were all ready for the day when some creature breathed us in. My little sister, Aella, cried and my mother held onto her as we went into the fox.

I looked around and saw that we were flying through pipes, when suddenly we burst out. Then I saw it, the cell. I had heard stories about where we were all destined to go. There were particles everywhere; water particles, carbon dioxide particles, and just like us, oxygen particles. When my parents noticed them, they hurried our huge family through the crowd, to the other oxygen particles. It was so crowded, and when we got closer to the membrane of the cell, the space only got more cramped.

I glanced behind me for the rest of my family, but they were nowhere to be seen. I caught a flash of my mom and Aella behind me so I turned and started back, but everything was so jammed that I couldn’t get anywhere. The membrane was getting closer as I was pushed away from my family. I had no control of my movement, as we all moved in one hump toward the cell. We went into an entrance as a loud voice spoke to all the particles.

“YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE MEMBRANE THROUGH A PROCESS CALLED DIFFUSION. PLEASE KEEP ALL ITEMS WITH YOU AND ALL PARTICLE PARTS CLOSE. IF YOU HAVE SMALL PARTICLES WITH YOU, KEEP THEM CLOSE TO AVOID SEPARATION. YOU WILL BE IN THE CELL SOON. ENJOY THE DIFFUSION,” the voice said.

I held my breath as the crowd moved through the entryway and into the cell. As we passed through the membrane the concentration immediately decreased. I floated aimlessly searching for my family and spotted them drifting towards the mitochondria. I called out to them uselessly since the cell was filled with commotion. They kept going towards the mitochondria as I thought if they even noticed me missing. Of course they did! Then why weren’t they waiting for me?

As I got closer to the mitochondria I felt a tug pulling me toward the mitochondria. I loosened and let it drift me towards my family and the mitochondria. When I was close enough for them to hear my yelling, they turned around and tried to fight the current. I rushed towards them, and me going with the tide made it easier and I practically flew to them. We got closer and closer until finally we met up from the first time we had ever been separated.

We’re finally here. The mitochondria. The place where we all know our fate is. And I’m not ready. Not after what just happened. It’s only my 5th second in the cell but it seems like my 55th day. “Mom,” I said, “I don’t think I want to.”

Then, out of nowhere came another rush of oxygen particles pushing us closer to the opening in the mitochondria. Of course! We were inside a running fox! There would be tons of oxygen particles coming. It wouldn’t miss a few.

I moved slightly, unknowingly into a mitochondria current. It pulled me with such force I had no chance of escaping its hold. As it pushed me through the entrance of the mitochondria, I heard the same voice from earlier.

“YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE MITOCHONDRIA. YOU WILL BE GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS OF CELLULAR RESPIRATION. YOU WILL NOT RETURN.”

And this is the body systems one, also very old:

The Grand Journey of Griffin the Graham Cracker

I was born in a graham cracker manufacturing plant. I waited for months after I was put  in that tight cramped box with my family. When the day finally came when our box was opened. . well, that’s when my life got a little messy.

“Mommy,” my little sister Gracie said. “Tell us the story again.” That story we’d heard about a gazillion times. And now, I had to live through the torment of listening about it. I don’t think my mother actually knew what she was talking about. It was just the kind of story you told your kids to get them to behave. Like monsters under your bed, or the Easter bunny who eats graham crackers. It was the story about what happened when your box opened.

“Once there was a young graham cracker named Gavin,” my mother began as Gracie’s eyes grew wide with anticipation. I don’t get why though since we’ve heard the story so many times. Mother continued, “Gavin was a very bad graham cracker. Then one day his box open-” She stopped. There was a loud noise coming from above us. The rest of my family looked over. For the first time in my life, I see light.

The box kept opening. Every box has two families in it. And of course, our family was chosen. “Is everyone here?” my dad asked and started calling everyone’s names. “Gabrielle, Greyson, Gracie, Griffin, Gwen and Gunner.” He was answered with a chorus of here’s, yes sir’s and what’s. We all looked up at the giant hand coming towards us. There really wasn’t much we could do. We were all stuck in a tiny bag until the humans decide to let us out. The humans aren’t the only danger outside the box though. If we get dropped we could get eaten by another animal. Which is exactly what happened.

Dakota opened her box of graham crackers and grabbed one of the two bags. She opened it as her golden retriever, Raelynn, barreled through the kitchen knocking the bag out of Dakota’s hand. Dakota crouched down and grabbed the crackers Raelynn hadn’t eaten.

I am in a dog. I’ve been in some weird places, but never a dog.

I’m not what I used to be. I used to be a full graham cracker with two squares, each with four rectangles. Now, well, a bunch of different pieces mixing with pieces of my family. All around us neurons are zipping around saying things so fast I could never understand them. I feel like a sloth in slow motion stuck in slowly hardening concrete compared to them. I don’t get how the nervous system does it.

“Chew, chew chew,” one said, and another said, “We’ve got protein!”

The dog kept pounding us into smaller pieces until we were nothing but dust. I hope you never have to live through that: your entire body in a million pieces and mixed with your dust cloud family. Then we have our chance of survival.

Dakota throws a ball for Raelynn, who runs and picks it up with her mouth. You thought it couldn’t get weirder. You’re wrong. Some of me stayed in the dog, while some left on the ball. It was the same with the rest of my family.

Just when I’m starting to get comfortable with the chewing, we’re swallowed. I hear a voice on a loudspeaker that says, “YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM.” I am then pushed through the esophagus by the citizens of the muscular system.  We pop out of the bottom into the stomach. I’m suddenly hit with a sharp pain. Even though I’m already small crumbs, there are chemicals hitting me everywhere disintegrating me into tiny particles.

Five hours later. . .

I flow out of the stomach with the particles that are now my family. We go into the small intestine. “No! My protein!” we hear my dad yell. I notice that I’m losing my protein too. I’m also losing everything else worth anything. After five hours I’m nothing but useless nothingness surrounded by useless nothingness that apparently used to be my family.

My mind moves to the crumbs that never entered the dog.

While Dakota is cleaning she finds a ball covered in graham cracker crumbs under the couch. She rinses the ball and the graham cracker crumbs go down the drain. Because Griffin’s family inside Raelynn were hopeless the remaining crumbs in the drain tried their best, but failed at survival.

Yeah… those were interesting 🤣😂

TheLoonyOne
                              @theloonyone

@microphage6032

I forgot to add that Gavin is my brother’s name and I definitely named that graham cracker after him 😂🤣

Otherworldly Historian
                                @otherworldlyhistorian
                                  • Total Posts: 215

I write Sci-fi/fantasy. That is basically all I write actually. I would explain about my WIP but it is probably easier to just see my WIP forum.

Through darkness,
                                  light shines brightest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >