Do You Use Fantasy Maps?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Do You Use Fantasy Maps?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    The Ducktator
    @theducktator
      • Total Posts: 723

I need to settle a debate.

So, my brother and I often read fantasy series together. (He is making me clarify. We read them at the same time, not literally together.) Recently, we got into an argument about whether it’s normal to regularly reference the maps in the front as you read. So, he suggested I ask here. I almost never use the maps, besides glancing at them before I read the book. He references the maps as he reads. Are you a map user?

@highscribeofaetherium
      @rae @jonas @loopylin @thearcaneaxiom @savannah_grace2009 @linus-smallprint @theshadow @princesachronicle22 @ellette-giselle @whalekeeper @stephie @grcr @esther-c @theloonyone @ava-blue @hybridlore @keilah-h @koshka @livingwoodchronicles @anyone-whose-ever-read-a-fantasy-novel-ever

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

The Ducktator
      @theducktator
        • Total Posts: 723

I told him only nerds use the maps. He said only nerds read fantasy novels. Touché. 😂

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas
          • Total Posts: 2681

@theducktator

I don’t look at them often. I usually look a couple times in the process of reading to get an idea of where everything is, but I don’t look at them frequently, so a lot if the tine, I don’t know where things are happening.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
          ✨ Magic System Creator
          🎭 Character RPer
          📚 Appreciator of Books

Sara
          @savannah_grace2009
            • Total Posts: 2535

@theducktator

I look at maps whenever a place is mentioned XD

And because maps are just cool!!! lol

Lukas&Livia
            #Lalbert
            Sef&Chase
            #HOTTOLINE
            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

hybridlore
            @hybridlore
              • Total Posts: 1404

@theducktator

I skim it in the beginning and then normally don’t go back to it…  Maybe once or twice, but not every time a place is mentioned. 😅

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped

TheShadow
              @theshadow
                • Total Posts: 305

@theducktator

I look at it a few times in the beginning, and then maybe when I’m confused at the placement of a new place, but not often.

"No! Monkeys should have pets, all monkeys should have pets!"

RAE
                @rae
                  • Total Posts: 3554

I will stare at maps before I read it, and afterwards, and will reference it while I’m reading if I need help building the story in my mind.

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

-GRCR-
                  @grcr
                    • Total Posts: 1142

@theducktator

lolol 😂 this is a funny topic

It kinda depends on the book, but a majority of the time I take a long look at the map before I start reading, and then after that I don’t really reference it.

I will look at it if I’m confused, though… 😄😄

Fin knew. Riker knew.
                    Fin wasn’t afraid. Riker was terrified.

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom
                      • Total Posts: 1299

@theducktator

I like to get to know it before starting the book, then I occasionally reference it during reading, but don’t have to.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Ellette Giselle
                      @ellette-giselle
                        • Total Posts: 1072

@theducktator

haha! This is crazy! OK, I look at maps when battles are described so that I can get a picture of the strategy, and I sometimes look for traveling, but not much. My brother pours over them though. I likes to memorize the map and then constantly returns to it. I think the quote from Prince Caspian would be appropriate here.

Susan: Are you sure this is the place?

Peter: I’m sure! I fought a battle here, how could I forget?

Susan: Well I don’t remember it….

Edmond: *begins laughing* That’s the problem with girls. They never carry a map in their heads!

Lucy: That’s because our heads have to many other things inside them.

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

HighScribe
                        @highscribeofaetherium
                          • Total Posts: 2449

@theducktator

I use them for occasional reference, but not all the time. If I’m confused about locations I will check the map, though, and I do often find it helpful, even if you just glance at it to get a general idea of where things are.

Home is where your massive, overflowing collection of LEGO bricks is.

Koshka
                          @koshka
                            • Total Posts: 1555

@theducktator

I tend to study a map after or during the first book, and then I will reference it again if ai gets confused with the author’s directions. However, I tend to modify maps in my head to fit my own impression of the fantasy world, so after the third or so book I rarely if ever look at the map.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3421

@theducktator

I look at it briefly in the beginning and sometimes go back to look at it. It honestly just depends. Like, I love the maps in the Wingfeather Saga, but in some other books, I don’t enjoy looking at the maps as much, lol.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Linus Smallprint
                              @linus-smallprint
                                • Total Posts: 395

@theducktator

I usually don’t look at the maps, but I do like having them. There have been some books lacking them, and that makes it confusing to look at where everything is. In the series I am currently reading, I have referenced the map only a few times. I just finished book three. I am more likely to look at a map if it has some illustrations of buildings and creatures in rather than blocks and dots representing anything boring.

@ellette-giselle

Edmond: *begins laughing* That’s the problem with girls. They never carry a map in their heads!

Lucy: That’s because our heads have to many other things inside them.

You won’t believe how many times my family quotes these two lines. (Although we do use the movie version. ‘That’s because our heads have something in them!’)

PrincesaChronicle22
                                @princesachronicle22
                                  • Total Posts: 802

@theducktator

I think it should be done however enhances your reading experience, but I prefer to look at the map for a while appreciate the art a little, then hope it will help my mental geography during the book but really knowing that when I look back at it later I was completely off…

😂😅

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. -1 Corinthians
                                  And guess what? His is eternal (:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >