Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

@kathleenramm That’s hard. I’ve barely read any classics besides Narnia (which I liked) and Lord of the Rings (which I enjoyed, but I’m not super crazy about it like some people). Apart from those, the oldest stuff I’ve read has been a dystopia or two, The Raven (as an audio) and Much Ado about Nothing, which so far has been hilarious. But at the same time, I like several modern books that I don’t think would make it to the classics list.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Elishavet Pidyon
      @elishavet-pidyon
        • Total Posts: 1013

@kathleenramm

Certainly! They’re all good, in my own most humble opinion. (Of course they are, ’cause why would I mention them if they weren’t? XD)

Scout, Riffles for Watie by Harold Keith, and Snow Treasureare all not exactly classics. I think RfW was written around 1957, ST around 1942, and Scout was sometime in the 50’s-60’s(Not sure). Anyway, if they are classics, they aren’t the old kind.

I think Riffles for Watie has a few instances where a character takes the Lord’s name in vain, but I don’t remember it being over prevalent.

(By the way, [and you might already know this, but…] The Magician’s Nephew by C. S. Lewis, references The Story of the Treasure Seekers in it’s opening.

“In those days Mr. Sherlock Holmes was still living in Baker Street and the Bastables were looking for treasure in the Lewisham Road.” emphasis mine.

Anyway, I’ll stop blathering now. I just get really excited when I get off talking about books I like.

@r-m-archer

Oh! The Screwtape Letters are great. I just loved the ending. (And the conversation about the “two faced sneak.” who “looked like she’d faint at the sight of blood”, but would “die with a smile.”)

Do you like the book Phantom of the Opera, or the play? My mother loves the play, so I’m curious. I know they are drastically different.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer
          • Total Posts: 243

@elishavet-pidyon

The book. I don’t think I knew there was a play, although that makes sense. I knew it was a musical and movie, among other things, so of course there would be a play somewhere in there. XD I actually watched the Emmy Rossum movie long before I read the book. (They’re very different, and each quite enjoyable in their own way.)

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Elishavet Pidyon
          @elishavet-pidyon

@r-m-archer

The book you say? Hmmm. I’ll have to say I haven’t read it, (or watched it, other than a few clips of the play.) but it definitely sounds interesting! All I’ve heard about the book is that it is completely different from the play (or musical, or any of it for that matter. XD)

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer
              • Total Posts: 243

@elishavet-pidyon

I’d believe that. XD I’d intended to write up a compare-and-contrast review between the book and the movie after I read the book, but I never got around to re-watching the movie or writing the review, so… add it to the list of reviews I’ve intended to write and forgotten about. ;P But at some point I think that would still be fun to do.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Elishavet Pidyon
              @elishavet-pidyon

@r-m-archer

That would be fascinating, and it definitely does sound fun to do. 😉

Ugh, I’ve got quite the list of those! XD

Emily_D
                @emily_d
                  • Total Posts: 5

Classics all the way!! Charles Dickens is my favourite author, but I also love Jane Austen and Rosemary Sutcliff…not sure if any of you have heard of her??? Her stuff is from the 20th century but it has a real classic feel to it.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >