Do you listen to music while you write? What kind of music do you listen to?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Do you listen to music while you write? What kind of music do you listen to?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Do you listen to music while you write? What kind of music do you listen to?

Music is a must for me when I write. I usually play soundtracks that go with the particular scene I’m writing. It helps me stay focused and also get into the mood of the scene much better. Intense scene: Inception soundtrack. Fight scene: PotC soundtrack. Emotional scene: Itaewon Class soundtrack. And so on.

Some of my favorite soundtracks to listen to while writing is:

How to Train Your Dragon, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Inception, Into the Spider Verse, what is some of your favorite music to listen to while writing? And if you don’t listen to music, what’s your reason?

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

*looks down at the Spotify icon on her taskbar* *hums along to song playing* Perfect moment to ask this question, @kathleenramm!

I’m not religious about my music-listening. Sometimes, I feel like it. Sometimes, I don’t. I write the most during naptime and bedtime, and since I have several little siblings and I share a room with my three sisters, that rules out always listening when I write.

But I do love to listen to music when I can, and create soundtracks with my fave songs for my books. My all-time favorite to listen to is Lifehouse–period. Fight scene? Got it. Emotional climax? Oh, yeah, baby. Romantic scene? Turn You and Me up, y’all! Come-to-Jesus moment? Everything is on. They’re my favorite band anyway, though the rest of my family does not understand my love for their music. 😥 (I’m seriously the weird one in my fam.)

Of course, official soundtracks will vary, and if it were up to me, I’d have some doohicky playing PotC in the background of all my books…

Music is definitely one of the main inspirations behind everything in my books–from the characters’ feelings to scene settings–so I usually gravitate to songs with lyrics.

Jeremy Camp’s older stuff is definitely on the list too.

BTW, I’m totally advocating for Lifehouse. I’m the only person under thirty that hasn’t watched Smallville who actually knows of them, so… Lifehouse awareness, y’all! Youtube them (I just made Youtube a verb, I think…) and watch some of their live stuff. Seriously.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I like to listen to music when doing anything. Helps me focus a lot.

Usually when I write I’ll put on whatever it is I’m into at the moment. Ranges a lot…

But more often than not I’ll open up my “Writing stuffs” playlist on Youtube, which consists of a lot of mixes, like chill, or trap, or chillstep, or swing…

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

@kathleenramm I was actually just researching this topic for the KP article I’m writing and was just about to make a topic doing an unofficial survey on this very topic!

Personally, I love listening to music while writing. I’ve just been editing articles and I’m listening through the Prisoner of Azkaban soundtrack as we speak. John Williams, you guys. He’s a genius.

I prefer instrumental music, because words can be pretty distracting for me and its more fun to sing along than to actually write. So I usually listen to movie soundtracks or classical music, though there’s certain styles of music with words that I will listen to, like Gaelic/Celtic music because I can’t understand what they’re saying, so it doesn’t bother me 😀

My favourite soundtracks definitely include anything by John Williams (and he’s so varied that there’s  genre for anything i write), LOTR, HTYD, anything by James Newton Howard (I particularly like Maleficent and The Hunger Games), and well, basically anything that fits the mood of my writing.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Riah Black
            @morwen
              • Total Posts: 31

Music is a must for me as well. It helps me block out background noise and just zone in on my writing. I usually listen to ambient music or movie soundtracks (LOTR, Narnia, etc.), and occasionally classical music as well. It has to be instrumental, cause when there’s lyrics I find myself singing along XD

Utúlië-n äure - auta í lomë

ella
              @nova21
                • Total Posts: 604

Hans Zimmer 😆

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                -gladiator, 2000

Kathleen
                @kathleenramm
                  • Total Posts: 635

@gracie-j

I guess I’ll be checking out Lifehouse then! When did you first start listening to them?

@devastate-lasting

I love all the chill/trap music on YouTube. I have like a dozen or so playlists that I’ve saved for when I study or work. They always put me in the perfect mood to be productive and get some work done. XD That, and also some jazz, R&B stuff.

@seekjustice

Wow! Cool! I guess it was just meant to be.

Yeah, you can’t talk about movies soundtracks without mentioning John Willams. He has made some of the most iconic and nostalgic film soundtracks of all time.

@morwen

Yes! This is me too. If a song has lyrics, I will be doing more singing than actual writing.XD

@nova21

If someone was to ask me who my favorite soundtrack composer was, it would definitely be Hans Zimmer. Each film soundtrack he makes is a masterpiece. Inception, PotC, Lion King, The Prince of Egypt, Interstellar, etc. Hans Zimmer can do no wrong when it come to music. Do you have a favorite film score of his?

ella
                  @nova21
                    • Total Posts: 604

@kathleenramm

Inception, big time.  Sooo good!!  Some of the Dark Phoenix songs are good too.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                    -gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
                    @gracie-j

@kathleenramm Maybe a year or so ago. I was listening to a lot of Relient K and Hawk Nelson when I started writing everyday about three years ago, and Lifehouse snuck its way into my Pandora station. I liked a couple of their songs, and it just went from there. I just like 2000s rock that nobody my age has ever heard of. 😋 They were really popular in their time…twenty years ago…when my parents were dating… 😆 I suggest “Hanging By A Moment,” “Everything,” and “Storm.”

Elizabeth
                      @lewilliams
                        • Total Posts: 252

@kathleenramm That’s such a difficult question to answer, because, like most things in writing, it depends. I used to not be able to write without a soundtrack, but lately I’ve found that I often write fastest in silence.

However, when I do listen to music, I usually like listening to music with lyrics that put me in a happy mood, even if it doesn’t necessarily match the vibe of the scene I’m writing. Tenth Avenue North (*sniffles bc they just broke up*) and Stella Stagecoach are two of my favs. When it comes to instrumental music, I like to listen to video game soundtracks. I’ve listened to a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2‘s music lately (“The Wheel” is one of the saddest songs I’ve ever heard), and if I need some epic Celtic-inspired music in my life, I go to God of War (2018); “Memories of Mother” is particularly beautiful. I also love the LOTR soundtrack, but I run into the difficulty of envisioning the movie’s scenes in my head instead of the scene I’m trying to work on.

@nova21
                        Hans Zimmer. That is all. I’m glad you understand. 😛 Did you know he did the music for the Madagascar movies? Because I found out the other day and it was quite the shock.

@gracie-j
                        I noticed that you said you listened to a lot of Reliant K; have you listened to their most recent album? I jammed it quite a bit this summer. Also, you may have convinced me to check out Lifehouse. 😀

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Gracie J.
                        @gracie-j

@lewilliams Wait–Tenth Avenue North broke up? How did I not hear this? *stares, eyebrows raised, at several squirming individuals who’d refused to update her on the goings-on within the musical world*

I have listened to a track or two of Relient K’s latest. I tend to stick to their older stuff, however. “Who I Am Hates Who I’ve Been” is a personal favorite. (I so didn’t realize that there were other people out there in the world who listened to them. Every time I make any mention of any artist I listen to, all I get are raised eyebrows, huh?s and “Have you heard Harry Styles lately?”) I do recommend Lifehouse. If you like Relient K, you’re sure to love them!

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
                          @william-starkey
                            • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm Yes, I do music.

@william-starkey

XD Alright. I listen to Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, TobyMac, and various other artists.

Gracie J.
                              @gracie-j

@leon-fleming Are you a new TobyMac fan or an old Tobymac fan? (I’m not afraid to admit that the old stuff is better. All old stuff is. *hums along to Frank Sinatra and Dion in the background*)

@william-starkey

@Gracie-j Well, both, I’d think. Are you referring to DC Talk? Cause I listen to them, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >