Dialogue Tips?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alexa Autorski
    @writerlexi1216
      • Total Posts: 1011

I’m not sure if this topic belongs in this category, but I just wanted to see if any of you had some tips about writing dialogue for a poor, struggling writer like myself. This is something that’s been especially hard for me throughout my writing–crafting good, realistic dialogue without making it feel forced or unnatural. I know my characters from the inside out, but when it comes to writing their lines, I can’t help but feel like it’s scripted, and sometimes I just feel like the dialogue all sounds the same. I’m not sure if anyone else has this same predicament, but I feel like dialogue is one of my own biggest critiques

No worries, but if you have any Words of Inspiration, they’d be much appreciated 🙂

Issabelle Perry
      @issawriter7
        • Total Posts: 976

@writerlexi1216
        Dialogue used to be one of my BIGGEST struggles in writing until I listened in on a webinar for writing dialogue. One thing I do is study how other people talk. I mean you can’t do this EXACTLY ’cause people get tongue-tied and have to restart sentences, but you can implement phrases or words we use. Another thing I do is try to hear their voices in my head. That way if it doesn’t sound realistic I can catch it pretty easily. Or you can read your dialogue out loud and see if it flows right. I hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
        TeenWritersNook.com

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@writerlexi1216 My word of advice would be to listen to real people talk. Listen to conversations and take note of elements that stick out to you. Surprisingly, people talk over each other a lot, don’t finish their sentences, etc. And depending on the age, there could be slang appropriate for the time period. Hope that helps! 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

Alexa Autorski
          @writerlexi1216

Thanks for the help, you guys!!! This is a huge problem for me in my writing, so I’m open to any good advice!! I’ll definitely try to be more aware of real-life conversations from now on, and talking out loud would probably help me a lot!! I get what you mean about slang, though–most of my characters are young (15ish), so it would make sense to have more informal talk between them. Thanks!! 🙂

Issabelle Perry
            @issawriter7
              • Total Posts: 976

@writerlexi1216
              NP!!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
              TeenWritersNook.com

Abigail.M.
              @abigail-m
                • Total Posts: 1242

If it’s any help, when writing dialogue or getting a feel for a character’s voice, it can help to hold an informal interview between you and your character. Ask them a question and write down what you believe is their heartfelt answer. It sounds a little odd, but it’s tons of fun.

Also, here is a quote that you might find helpful:

“Dialogue is not just quotation. It is grimaces, pauses, adjustments of blouse buttons, doodles on a napkin and crossings of legs,” by Jerome Stern.

It always helps me pick up my dialogue, by having my characters do something while they speak, after all, that happens in real life as well.

Alexa Autorski
                @writerlexi1216

That sounds like a super effective method, @abigail-m! That seems like a good approach to writing dialogue if it feels like you’re the one talking with them rather than other characters… I’ll give that a shot! And that quote is very helpful (I’m a fan of writing quotes)! And true, I try to incorporate plenty of action in the midst of dialogue, because after all, nobody just stands there and does nothing while they’re talking. And sometimes action can be a substitute for dialogue, like showing happiness, impatience, tension, et cetera.

All of you have been immensely helpful! Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >