Critiques On My Fantasy World?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Critiques On My Fantasy World?

• This topic has 21 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Power.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Faith
    @awsumfaith
      • Total Posts: 239

Hello! I wanted to share my world with you, and I wanted to hear any critiques and/or suggestions you may have for me too!

@starishness @freedomwriter76 @lightoverdarkness6 @she-is-a-pirate @kyronthearcanin @thearcaneaxiom @gyndalf-the-wise @felicity @esther-c @anyone-i-forgot @anyone-else-who’s-interested

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Faith. Reason: forgot the tags XD

"does anyone have any good ideas?"
      "Oh yeah, but none for this"

Faith
      @awsumfaith

the kingdom in my world is called Doran, but i need a name for the world still. the world has lots to be explored, and Doran is the only country in known existence, most of the continent is unexplored still. I’ll post a picture of the map-in-progress i’ve been drawing. Doran is ruled by King Eremund and Queen Jade, who have two children, Prince Javen, and Princess Anika.

Faith
        @awsumfaith

Faith
          @awsumfaith

@starshiness @gwyndalf-the-wise

Sorry, misspelled y’all’s tags 🤦‍♀️

Gwyndalf the Wise
            @gwyndalf-the-wise
              • Total Posts: 404

@awsumfaith

No worries! Is it okay if I get back to you with the critiques tomorrow? We’re about to start Passover over here and I don’t have enough time to type out my response.

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
              (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Faith
              @awsumfaith

@qwyndalf-the-wise

Perfectly fine with me!

Kathleen
                @kathleenramm
                  • Total Posts: 635

@awsumfaith

Yo, this looks really cool! I have much respect to writers who create maps for their worlds, as its something I still aspire to do, haha.

If I had any suggestions it would to maybe make the names of each of the places on the map unique to your own world, history, and cultures.

Names like “Greenwood” and “Snowy Mountains” could be names of places from any fantasy novel, so maybe name them something more personal to your world like something based off of a historic event, original creature/species/item, or important figure in your world.

Other than that its looking great! I’m now quite inspired to make a map of my own, hmmm…

Faith
                  @awsumfaith

@kathleenramm

I’m actually really glad you pointed that out, cause I wasn’t sure about them myself for that reason, and you just confirmed it for me and I’ll feel more comfortable changing them 😊 thanks for the advice!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Faith.

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                    @kyronthearcanin
                      • Total Posts: 697

@awsumfaith

I love it!!! 😃

The only thing I would suggest is with your rivers at the bottom of the map, or maybe just one, Grange, if I’m reading that right. Usually (unless this is unique to your world) no river goes from one ocean to another. That would make two continents, or a continent and an island. So because of that it seems that you kind of split off that peninsula from the rest of the continent. An easy way to fix that is to have it empty into a lake (like you did with the high part of the river). Basically, rivers are going to (again, unless your world is different) flow down from a high point to a low point, generally the ocean. So, for example, rivers could flow down the Snowy Mountains from, well, melted snow, to the ocean.

Your River Bayne is perfectly fine, the split is completely natural. Just know that a river flowing down from somewhere is not going to naturally split on its way to the ocean, unless there’s a delta. There are a few exceptions, but just thought I’d mention that.

Sry about that rant on rivers lol. Maps are kind of a hobby of mine. 😅🤣

Also, I love the O’ Snapp Canyon XD

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

Faith
                      @awsumfaith

@kyronthearcanin

Thank you for pointing that out! Geography is definitely not one of my strong suits XD (hence asking for critiques lol)  I’ll take note of that and make sure to redraw it later.

Lol, my sister inspired the O’Snapp Canyon. It was named after the first words that came out of a famous explorers’ mouth when he discovered the canyon and the fact that there was no water at the bottom. (Being in the middle of the Gylun Desert, which is absolutely nothing but sand, sand, the canyon, and a little more sand)

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Faith.

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                        @kyronthearcanin
                          • Total Posts: 697

@awsumfaith

No problem! (Trust me, geography is not usually my strong suit, but I decided to take the time to learn when I got into map-making. If you ever want to learn more about maps, WASD20 is a good youtuber who does fantasy maps. He does some DND stuff, but I just look at his mapping stuff in general. It was funny, actually, because when I saw the river, I could hear him in my head saying, “Swear it! No coast to coast rivers!” XD)

That’s a really fun story for the canyon! 🤣

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

Faith
                          @awsumfaith

@kyronthearcanin

Thanks! I’ll look into those videos, I appreciate the suggestion. 🙂

GodlyFantasy12
                            @godlyfantasy12
                              • Total Posts: 6645

@gwyndalf-the-wide ARE YOU JEWISH?!?! THAT IS SO COOL IF SO! If not still cool that u celebrate Passover!!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                              #ProtectMarcel
                              #ProtectSeb

TheArcaneAxiom
                              @thearcaneaxiom
                                • Total Posts: 1250

@awsumfaith

Looks cool! I don’t think I can make any meaningful critiques or suggestions yet, because you’ve given very little. I would second Kathleen’s comment though, but you have full authority over how you name things. If it helps, I like making languages for my worlds, and come up with all my names from those.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Starshiness
                                @starshiness
                                  • Total Posts: 174

@awsumfaith Wooowww looks great! I’m afraid I know very little about maps (trying to make one for my own world is proving to be quite a challenge🤦🏽‍♀️) so I don’t have any advice to offer, but everything looks pretty cool to me! I do love the name Doran for your kingdom, it’s simple but sounds very… mm majestic? I’m curious about the pronunciation though, is it said like Dor-ANNE or Dor-AWN ??

I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >