Creature Question

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Creature Question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jackson Graham
    @warrioroftherealm
      • Total Posts: 115

@gretald, @bluejay, @writefury, @daeus, @hannah-olsen, @mark-kamibaya, @Sarah-H, @kate-flournoy, @emma-flournoy, @dragon-snapper, @michael-stanton

I’m in a dilemma. I’ve created this creature for my fantasy book that is like a large dragon type creature. It is covered in metallic scales, has a long tail, and looks pretty much like a dragon except it is very slender and has a head like an eagle (which is also covered in scales and has pupil-less eyes). However, I don’t want it to seem like an evolutionary “missing link”. That is DEFINITELY what I don’t want to get across. Ideas on how to make it less evolutionary? Or other ideas for a creature?

Jackson E. Graham
      http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham

NC Stokes
      @daughteroftheking
        • Total Posts: 1156

@warrioroftherealm Hm. Good question. *assumes “thinking” pose* Is there a way you could add a mammal-ish trait to it? Fur or something. I don’t know how that would effect your vision for it, though. Can it speak? That would make it more dragon-like and less bird/dinosaur-like.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@WarrioroftheRealm hmm… honestly, fantasy creatures are such a random hodge-podge of so many different things I wouldn’t worry too much about it, but I can see what you’re saying.

Umm… *scratches head* What about it right now makes it look like a missing link? Just the combined birdlike and reptilian features? If that’s a problem, you could either add so many more random features as to make it obvious you’re not going for a missing link (the Great Platypus of Dragonkind XD) or… um… honestly I’m not sure what else. 😛 I’ll let you know if I come up with anything.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@WarrioroftheRealm It’s so great you want to make sure no one sees it as that. 😀 EVOLUTION IS FALSE PEOPLE NO MISSING LINKS EVER DO YOU HEAR?

That said, I agree with Kate that since this is fantasy I really don’t think people would think that. They expect weird mashes. 😛 I know you probably had the bird head for a reason, but you if you wanted to make sure it didn’t seem that way at all, you could just make it all dragon and just find another way to make it unique…I’m not sure what. 😛

Jackson Graham
            @warrioroftherealm

@kate-flournoy

The Great Platypus of Dragonkind…
              If you ever write this into one of your books be sure to let me know! 🙂

My main concern was that the bird/lizard sort of mashup would hint at dinosaur to bird “evolution”. Maybe if I add some fur elements it would help…

@daeus

Where art thou?

Jackson E. Graham

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@WarrioroftheRealm I just might. 😛

Ahh… yes. Then I definitely think fur elements could help. Does it have fur on its claws? Sort of a half griffon, half dragon, half bird thing?

Northerner
                @northerner
                  • Total Posts: 244

@Kate-flournoy, it’s got three halves?

@Warrioroftherealm
                  , I like that you’re trying to avoid evolution. Does the uniqueness of this creature have an important role, or are you just trying to avoid fantasy cardboard cutouts? Because if the latter, why not just have a plain ordinary griffin? They’re rare and wonderful creatures, and don’t show up enough in fantasy as it is.

Daeus
                  @daeus
                    • Total Posts: 4238

@warrioroftherealm Ah! How did you know that old English is my weakness?

I think your big help here is that most people don’t equate dinosaurs with dragons. If they do, well, good for them. They probably aren’t going to have a problem with your fantasy creature.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jackson Graham
                    @warrioroftherealm

@northerner

I already have a griffin in my story that the main characters ride. This creature is going to be a fierce predator. Thank you for the suggestion though! Griffins should become cool again.

@daeus

As to your weakness—let’s just say a “little birdy” told me… *evil laughter*
                      I’ve never thought how most other people don’t make the dinosaur-dragon connection. Thanks for bringing that up!

Jackson E. Graham

katie
                      @lifeofkatie
                        • Total Posts: 137

@warrioroftherealm

Like everybody else said above, since you are writing a fantasy book, I don’t think people are going to necessarily think “evolution” when your character is mentioned. Narnia and LOTR have a lot of different strange creatures, like the Centaurs, for example, man/horse; but when I watch/read those stories I don’t think they’re promoting evolution because I know they’re coming from a fantasy standpoint. 🙂 Those are just my thoughts, but I think it’s totally great that you don’t want it to come across as evolution!!!! 😀

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper
                          • Total Posts: 3515

@warrioroftherealm Forgive my lateness in replying. :0
                          Well, I mean, it sounds like a pretty cool creature to me anyway. But um…what everyone else said, I suppose.
                          *shrugs* This is the worst two cents I’ve offered yet, but here it is anyways. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Mark Kamibaya
                          @mark-kamibaya
                            • Total Posts: 318

@warrioroftherealm I’m late to the party so I’ll just grab a soda and some ice cream and leave. But not before I say this: I think it’s good to avoid evolution, but I believe that just as long as you focus on the elements of the story than the reader will be caught up enough in the story that she won’t notice. I mean, CS Lewis used mythological creatures and we don’t think he supported mythology as a relevant and true religion.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

WarrenLuther04
                            @warrenluther04
                              • Total Posts: 270

@mark-kamibaya I agree about how Lewis used his mythology. He even tied in mythological characters to Christianity, which is no small feat!

@warrioroftherealm
                              I agree that it is a good idea to stray from the topic of evolution while writing about Christian topics. Try to make up a backstory to your dragon-like creature that completely rules out evolution. Are you thinking of publishing this to the world, or just Kingdom Pen? This story sounds fascinating, with griffins and dragon-like beings!

@mark-kamibaya
                              What is it with ice cream? I keep seeing references and I just don’t get it.

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
                              ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >