Conlangs!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    TheArcaneAxiom
    @thearcaneaxiom
      • Total Posts: 1250

Next conlang showcase! Rrajlan

Rrajlan is spoken by the people of the same name. The Rrajlan people are neighbors to the Shome’el, living beside the dark, cold center of Omialia, known in their tongue as the Alunakan.

Rrajlan has a VSO structure (verb subject object)

Some might find the Rrajlan to be a rude and perhaps even evil people. This trope comes from many things, but some may point to their language. When a Rrajlan says goodbye, they will typically say “L’lu aven rak vaslun” which essentially means, “may your travels be painful”. Outside of there culture, this may be interpreted as being hostile, however in Rrajlan culture, this is a kind saying. In English, we have a saying to “break a leg”, but we don’t actually mean for the recipient to gain any misfortune, however, in Rrajlan, they do indeed send misfortune your way, but for your ultimate good. You learn much more on a long trail full of adversity, than one that is short and flat.

Other eccentricities of this people and their tongue is their regard to the symbology of black. They live in a world of snow, thus white is quite commonplace. Black isn’t, besides that of the Alunakan, which they regard as evil, alunakan literally meaning aluna (bad) kan (dark). Ignoring the Alunakan though, black has become a symbol of purity, health, and cleanliness to this people, which comes from their discovery of charcoal as a powerful cleanser of the body, which also itself is created through a refining process. The Rrajlan wish to live lives which burn them, refining them into something good and pure, just as flames turn wood to charcoal. They recognize that a man who faces adversity will either change for the better, or for the worst. They believe adversity is a change towards blackness/purity, but good can be pure, but so can evil. This is how they view the Alunakan, being pure, but also evil.

One more fun fact, just because I really really wanted to do this. Usually the Rrajlan don’t drink water, instead eating ice and snow. The word for ice is varru. They have a unique fruit called vusa that seem to miraculously thrive in the environment, which they like to turn into juice (amongst other things), simply named vu. When they come across liquid water, they usually just call it vu varru, or v’varr, meaing ice-juice.

Rrajlan has 10 consonants: d, k, n, rr (post alveolar  trilled r), r, v, th (unvoiced), s, jl, l

3 vowels: e (like elephant), a (like apple), u (like true)

Some verbs like to hurt (rak) can be used for “she hurt him” or “she is hurt” by modifying the subject. This is actually quite similar to English with this particular example, but she hurt him would be “Rak eve eva”, but she is hurt would be “Rak evelun”. Lun is a modifier which means “to be” which is very analogues as how “is” is being used in the English case, but unlike English, this is usually generalized to many more cases. Verbs like jump would be different because you can say “she jump him” which would mean she caused him to jump, but to say she jumped, you’d need to say “she is jump”.

Prompt:

Rrajlan has been fun to make, and I’m glad for this time in which I’ve been able to share it. Goodbye! May your travels be painful!

Translation:

El’lune, uthave rev Rrajlan. Ajlu rev del’lune. L’lu aven rak vaslun!

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

TheArcaneAxiom
      @thearcaneaxiom

Just like Lasi’el, this is saying “Ajlu vas Rrajlan? Ajlu rev Rrajlan.” Meaning, “Do you speak Rrajlan? I speak Rrajlan.”

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

TheArcaneAxiom
        @thearcaneaxiom

I like how they look handwritten more, but this is just gibberish.

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas
            • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom

It’s cool how much culture you created for them as well as a language! The “ice juice” thing is really funny.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah, I struggled with it though because liquid water having it’s own word would normally be inevitable, so I had to think about how the language would have developed alongside their geographic history. I think they probably did have a word for it before, but it fell out of use until it was forgotten completely. Then it was re introduced  later on, allowing for the odd wording. The things we will do to our worlds in the name of humor😂

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009
                • Total Posts: 1977

HOW?

LITERALLY HOW?!?!?

guys…I could never…like how do you have the patience to make an entire language?!?!

ugh…I’m so jealous XD

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Sara
                @savannah_grace2009
                  • Total Posts: 1977

HOW?

LITERALLY HOW?!?!?

guys…I could never…like how do you have the patience to make an entire language?!?!

ugh…I’m so jealous XD

Lukas&Livia
                  #Lalbert
                  Sef&Chase
                  #HOTTOLINE
                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom

@savannah_grace2009

Lol! Well all it takes is some knowledge of how language works. It can really help to study languages of entirely different structure to get an idea of the more fundamental principles. Like studying German, Chinese, and Arabic, instead of studying German, Polish, and Danish. But it’s not required, just if you want to be more serious about it, but there’s a lot of ways one can figure out how to convey information in unique ways that require minimal study on your part.

Just start with the sounds, structure, then your pretty much golden. The lexicon doesn’t need to be fully developed for the title of conlang to be earned. You can coin words as you need them, instead of feeling the need to coin every single word that could possibly exist in the language.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >