Coming up with scenes

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Coming up with scenes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

I think i’ve made a topic like this before BUT WHATEVER XD

so I need some help.

I have ALWAYS struggled with this and again here I am struggling…

I am trying to kinda outline for my book, Project G, so I can start my next draft, and it’s going sorta well? Sorta being the operative word XD

Anywhoodle, I’m struggling with coming up with scenes or ideas for scenes for the middle, or Fun and Games part as it’s called, and also the Finale part (or near the end where it’s climaxing and it’s all coming together at the end)

I know where it needs to get to and where I want it to end but I have little to no ideas for scenes to get it there?? and what I do have feels stupid and I don’t have a lot at all, just vague things like places or something…

WHAT DO I DO?!

I’ve kinda got enough for Act I (Btw, I’m using the Save The Cat beat sheet structure mixed with Four Acts so kinda figuring out my own thing with Save the Cat)

But Act II is a mess

Act III I feel like makes up for itself because if I can get Act II down then I can get down Act III

and Act IV (Four) like I know what I need/want but dunno how to get there really?

But honestly my biggest struggle right now is Act two, which is where the Fun and Games beat happens, or the middle of the book as we know it, so the bulk of the book.

I don’t have enough scenes and don’t know how to come up with scenes….I hate using generators because it doesn’t feel like “Me” if that makes sense? and idk what to do…

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Koshka
      @koshka
        • Total Posts: 1424

@godlyfantasy12

Oof, that is a struggle. I’ll see what I can come up with to (hopefully) help.

For me my current biggest struggle is getting the scenes in my head on paper. Oh the agelong frustrations…

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Light Warrior Pen
        @light-warrior-pen
          • Total Posts: 103

@godlyfantasy12

I’ve never done a Save The Cat outline. But I frequently use this website called Helping Writers Become Authors. K. M. Weiland, the writer on the website, has a TON of stuff on outlining scenes, plots, and character arcs. Maybe you can find something on there.

I’d give you the link, but KP tends to eat my posts whenever I put a link in it. But the site should be pretty easy to find.

Hope that helps!

This girl is armed with books, coffee, and writing accoutrements!

Koshka
          @koshka
            • Total Posts: 1424

@godlyfantasy12

Do you want individual scene ideas, or help coming up with them?

Here’s what I’m sort of doing to come up with scenes. I’m using the Save the Cat notecard system for plotting.

For Act II (fun and games) is basically the characters either “winning” or “losing” as their arc decides. So…

What is the big story point you want this act to cover?

What are your known plot points along the way?

Are they winning or losing? What situations could portray this?

What type of problems are your characters dealing with?

What are their immediate, short term, and long term responses?

Example.

Quinn and Alvera are on a Golden Fleece plot. They must find the Silver Starling before it is captured by the Bad Guys™.

Problems/complications

• Quinn is colorblind, and can’t cook.
            • Alvera has an extremely low pain tolerance and can’t swim.
            • Nobody knows where the Silver Starling was hidden some twenty years ago.
            • Nobody knows where the the Bad Guys™ are.

Act Story Point

• The Silver Starling is hidden in a secret underground water cistern. It must be found. At the end Quinn needs to be captured, and Alvera get lost unknowingly near the Starling. (Quinn and Alvera are losing)

Plot points (with situations)

• They start on the search.
              • Alvera cuts her dominant arm. She then burns most of the meals for the rest of the act because she can’t use that hand. Quinn loses his glasses.
            • They find a map with directions, which are color coded.
              • They wander around for two days trying to follow the map. Quinn tries to make a meal and nearly poisons them. Alvera trips and falls into a lake, and has to be rescued by Quinn, losing the map.
            • The Bad Guys™ find them.
              • They get out of the river right in front of a camouflage jeep which belongs to the Bad Guys™. Quinn sees it first as his eyes aren’t confused by the varied coloring, and would jump back into the water if it weren’t for Alvera. Instead the two try to escape into the woods and get chased by the Bad Guys™.
            • They find the underground cistern (sort of).
              • They hide in a what they think is a cave. It is actually the opening to a concrete tunnel. This leads to the cistern…but they don’t have the map and the Bad Guys™ follow them in. They are now trapped.
            • Quinn gets captured while Alvera gets lost in the passages. Quinn is taken to the Bunker, while Alvera wonders around underground in the dark.

And that is a rough scene plotline. A bit short, but each situation can be developed into a couple scenes at least, showing the character reactions and interactions. If you already have scenes that you are now trying to organize/plot, you can insert those scenes as you sort them.

For any scene idea, you can think through the various character’s POVs to decide which would be most impactful for the scene. (You could also show a second character’s response later as a flashback or directly afterward as a type of aftermath, ect. but you already know that XD)

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Whaley
            @whalekeeper
              • Total Posts: 2588

My post was deleted twice… *pure pain* Okay, okay. Here it is all over again.

Scenes are so hard! But this is what helps me. Doesn’t mean it will work for you, but you’re probably looking for anything at this point XD

Before Aha-Moment: The Hero needs to grow. How does it show?

After Aha-Moment: The Hero figured it out. How does that show?

I feel weird doing this because I feel like I’m bragging XD I hope it doesn’t sound like that!! But may I give an example from my own project?

Marcel’s development in the first book has to do with the idea of heroism. What makes him a hero, distinguished from anyone else? What reason does he have to be a hero? And is he translating that to what he does?

So, um, he doesn’t get it at first. Duh. He’s kinda stupid, because he just starts to act heroic and do heroic deeds without a reason, other than he “wants” to be a hero, and has a vague feeling pulling him. And according to colorful Guardian history, Baztet Guardians always rise up in dramatic, powerful ways. There’s an immortal responsibility. So he constantly tries to look like a superhero because the pressure builds.

What does he need? A foundation. A hero exists because there is a need – because they have good values and beliefs to protect.

What does this have to do with scenes?

This is where you invent physical representations of the problem.

Demons are a big part of Baztet. They used to be big and dumb. Now they are small and smart. Marcel wants to fight the big, powerful ones, because they remind him of the classic glory days. The modern demons, on the other hand, scare him because they literally attack your values in order to make snappy magical deals. And Marcel doesn’t exactly have his heroic values sorted out.

So say I want a scene to show you Marcel’s problem. Behold: He fights a giant fire demon in the city square, and wins with flying colors. He feels good about himself. On his way home, he tries to get a drink from a vending machine, but loses his money to a teensy-weensy transaction demon possessing the machine. Cue emotional breakdown XD

I can have several scenes like this! Scenes aren’t just for fun (well, YoU KnOw mE)… use them to show off all the juicy problems!

Before Aha: Marcel needs a simple foundation, but he keeps trying to start at the top. So he fails whenever his values are tested – with civilized, questioning demons and Babs’ needs.

After Aha: Marcel figured it out. He wants to protect his family’s simple home, defend the value of a human life, etc. Now he can answer questions with clarity.

Have you watched Coco? I know you like Remember Me (Lynnie sparkles!) so this is educated spitballing ;P

Even if Miguel isn’t the “learning” character, his entire family change their perspective.

Before Aha: The family shove their past under wraps as if you can just erase it, and they basically cause Miguel’s entire journey and the drama with Hector. All those scenes are a result of the family trying to stop the memories from resurfacing.

After Aha: The family realizes even death cannot destroy memories. Memories should be worked through, not ignored. Miguel can leave the Land of the Dead, and give Coco peace.

Soooooo let’s say November isn’t standing up for himself, and needs to make some brave decisions. Again, spitballing.

Before Aha: Won’t stand up for himself… maybe November’s dad gets him into trouble he could have avoided, but he was too wishy-washy to speak up. It can be a continuing thing. And November keeps avoiding bold decisions. All kinds of scenes show this, in school (do they have school?), his relationship with Ara, the plot to help A’Grend. His nervousness keeps causing more problems, lengthening the plot scenes.

After Aha: NOVEMBER HAS HAD ENOUGH. He learns to be brave and stand up for himself. His father can’t boss him anymore. He leaves with Ara, as a super bold decision he made all by himself.

I would take all your Internal Conflict Jazz, and make lists of things that would challenge your hero/heroine BEFORE they change. And make scenes out of ‘em. Any physical challenges mEnTaLLy cOnNeCteD to the internal conflict.

Does that help? <3 Or am I making it worse? XD I hope not.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Whaley
              @whalekeeper

That was my love letter to Plot. Plot, you are an underrated thing. I love you <3

MineralizedWritings
                @mineralizedwritings
                  • Total Posts: 2794

@godlyfantasy12

Hmm I’m not sure if this helps at all…

but for coming up with fun and games segments, Avatar the last airbender has been a great inspiration to me. The characters in that show are trying to save the world yet have so much fun. I think it’s often the little things where the characters shine the most, for instance the group shopping together in a new place.

I like to think about all the new things that my characters could see when they travel, and what would have the best reactions. Like, my characters have never been in a actual clothing store because where they come from they trade whatever their family good is with a seamstress to get clothes. Or, they’ve also never been to a formal dance before, and would be really confused because they are used to a different style. Some of my characters have never seen a horse and probably think they look terrifying. I know it’s different in your book, and your isn’t a comic like mine so I’d assume it’s more serious, but I personally like funny scenes of characters experiencing new things, because they will each react differently to it, and we get to know them better. Some of them will be scared, and other curious.

へびは かっこいい です!

Whaley
                  @whalekeeper

@mineralizedwritings

Oh my goodness yeeesss! You are so right. And The Last Airbender has such amazing filler episodes that actually add to the story – especially the worldbuilding.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Whaley. Reason: Tagged Min incorrectly :P

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >