Christmas!!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    HighScribe
    @highscribeofaetherium
      • Total Posts: 2230

@acancello

Yeah 😨 they’re terrifying.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Allison
      @acancello
        • Total Posts: 838
        Sara
        @savannah_grace2009
          • Total Posts: 1989

1. We either go to Havre for Christmas (where my mom’s parents live) or stay home (my dad’s parents live next door). My dad’s brother usually comes to the farm for Christmas, so if we’re home, we get to see him. We’re at the farm this year since some of us are sick and my mom hurt her back.

When we’re in Havre, we always have pizza from a specific restaurant called Nalivka’s with my mom’s family (the pizza’s not the best but it’s tradition I guess…), and we have a big Christmas dinner and presents on Christmas.

At the farm, we go to my grandparents and it’s tradition to eat my grandma’s homemade potato knoephla soup by candlelight. My grandma always makes cheeseball and rolls and popcorn cake and other things. When we’re home, we also go to a Christmas Eve service.  On Christmas my grandma’s family comes and she invites us to come over for lunch and spend time with them.

2. I NEVER believed in Santa, my parents always told me he wasn’t real…when I was little and my friends were talking about Santa, I’d be like “He’s NOT REAL!” and then we’d argue about it XD

3. We always watch The Star (an animated reinactment of the Nativity that is so funny and adorable!), but I really like the new movie that just came out called Journey to Bethlehem.

4. I love candy canes and hot cocoa…(I’m so basic XD)

5. Everyone buys gifts for everyone.

6. We open gifts on Christmas morning, but we open my Grandma’s gifts to us Christmas Eve at her house.

7. Fake tree…we have never had a real one, sadly. 🙁

8. The potato soup by candlelight is an interesting tradition of my grandma’s, and we always eat Nalivka’s pizza at my other grandma’s.

Lukas&Livia
          #Lalbert
          Sef&Chase
          #HOTTOLINE
          LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
          @trailblazer
            • Total Posts: 600

@savannah_grace2009

I’ve never heard of popcorn cake… or was there supposed to be a comma between the two words?

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Sara
            @savannah_grace2009
              • Total Posts: 1989

@trailblazer

No, it’s literally a cake made out of popcorn! XD

It’s like a giant popcorn ball with gumdrops, m&m’s, and other candies inside of it.

Lukas&Livia
              #Lalbert
              Sef&Chase
              #HOTTOLINE
              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

-GRCR-
              @grcr
                • Total Posts: 949

@savannah_grace2009

I NEVER believed in Santa, my parents always told me he wasn’t real…when I was little and my friends were talking about Santa, I’d be like “He’s NOT REAL!” and then we’d argue about it XD

Ah, same here!! my siblings and I tried to argue that with my cousin once lol

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

hybridlore
                @hybridlore
                  • Total Posts: 1359

@trailblazer

Nice topic!!

Biggest one: how do you celebrate Christmas Eve/Christmas? (family gatherings, church services, other fun traditions?)

So, we don’t live near any of our extended family right now, but sometimes we meet up with my Dad’s parents. We’ve never done Christmas with my mom’s side (that I can remember). This year they came a few weeks before Christmas, so they’re not here right now.

Did your family do Santa Claus (or maybe still, for some of you)?

My parents never told us he was real either. It was just something that other kids did but not us.

Favorite Christmas movie

Elf, probably. We watch it every year.

Favorite Christmas food (or any special foods you eat this time of year)

We don’t really have a tradition for Christmas food except for cinnamon rolls, but I love apple pie and stores usually have it this time of year, so we buy lots of that.

How does your family give gifts? (Does everyone buy things for everyone else, or do you do Secret Santa, or white elephant exchanges?)

We didn’t always do this, but all us siblings buy things for each other (there’s only three of us, though). And we all get gifts from my parents.

When do you open gifts? Christmas Eve, or Christmas morning?

We normally do our gift exchange on Christmas Eve and then open our parents gifts on Christmas morning.

Real or fake tree?

Always fake. We’ve never had a real tree, I’m not really sure why. Maybe because of bugs? Also, my parents were probably afraid our dog would pee on it lol.

Do you have unique family/cultural traditions?

Not really.

@jonas

Ooh, I should also add that we have a tradition of cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Christmas.

Hey, us too! 😁

@savannah_grace2009

but I really like the new movie that just came out called Journey to Bethlehem.

Oh, we just saw that twice in a row xD. I liked it a lot too! The music is so good, we were listening to the music weeks before we saw it 😅.

There is always light behind the clouds.
                  - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Trailblazer
                  @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

Wow that sounds like a child’s dream right there! Or like something out of Elf haha. You’re making me hungry!

Esther
                    @esther-c
                      • Total Posts: 3213

@trailblazer

Oh this is so fun! Yeah, it’s after Christmas, but I’m answering anyway. XD

how do you celebrate Christmas Eve/Christmas?

Typically our church has a Christmas Eve service, so we’ll go to that. For Christmas Eve dinner, we’ll eat finger foods and we make a punch with Hawaiian Punch, 7-UP, and orange sherbet. Then there’s this cute animated movie (it’s like less than half and hour) that we watch called The Very First Noel. I think they call it The Three Wise Men now. I feel like we also end up watching It’s a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve, but sometimes we’ll watch it during the week before Christmas.

Christmas day we’ll eat a big breakfast, read the Christmas story, then open presents. We’ve gone up north to visit my mom’s side of the family before, but we normally celebrate it with my dad’s side. What we do and eat there usually differs depending if all the family is in town yet.

Did your family do Santa Claus (or maybe still, for some of you)?

Nope. I don’t think we ever did. And I don’t remember our parents specifically telling us he wasn’t real. I feel like we just knew or something. XD

Favorite Christmas movie

Ooohhh, that’s a hard one. Our family is big on Christmas movies. We have so many that we don’t even watch all of them during the month of December. I really like White Christmas, Holiday Inn, I Heard the Bells, The Santa Clause, Home Alone, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Jingle Jangle.

Favorite Christmas food (or any special foods you eat this time of year)

Um… it can change from year to year, so I don’t know if I have a favorite. XD

How does your family give gifts?

So me and my three siblings each buy a present for Mom and Dad. And we draw names for each other, but we know who’s buying for us. Our grandparents normally get each of their grandchildren a couple presents. (There’s a lot of us. XD) So we’ll open those whenever we go up to visit them. We draw names on dad’s side of the family among all the cousins. Either they’ll open those at our grandparents our or when they celebrate their Christmas if they aren’t coming up to visit.

When do you open gifts? Christmas Eve, or Christmas morning?

Christmas morning! But we get a new ornament every year, so we’ll open those Christmas Eve.

Real or fake tree?

We’ve done both!

Do you have unique family/cultural traditions?

Umm…. I don’t think so.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

LoopyLin
                      @loopylin
                        • Total Posts: 2051

Every year my family makes lefse together, which is a Norwegian flat bread which is pretty much a tortilla but made with potatoes. I like to put butter and cinnamon sugar on mine and then roll it up and eat it.

I think The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe counts as a Christmas movie since Santa is in it, so I’m going to say that’s my favorite.

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Trailblazer
                        @trailblazer

@esther-c

My grandparents used to give ornaments to each of us grandkids every year! They stopped once we reached a certain age, and started giving us money instead. I liked getting ornaments but it did fill up our tree lol.

Trailblazer
                          @trailblazer

@loopylin

Yeah I think that can count! That is a good movie!

Lydibug
                            @lydibug
                              • Total Posts: 100

@loopylin

That sounds delicious!

Happy unbirthday every one!
                              "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME..."

Esther
                              @esther-c
                                • Total Posts: 3213

@trailblazer

Oh yeah, our tree is super full every year. And Mom and Dad don’t even put all of their ornaments on it. XD

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >