Children’s Fiction

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Children’s Fiction

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Esther
    @esther-c
      • Total Posts: 3428

Alrighty… so I’ve been thinking about expanding my realm of fiction-writing. I still love writing young adult fiction (guys it’s hardddd), but I’ve also been considering trying my hand at children’s fiction. To be clear, I don’t think I want to go the route of picture books. That’s not for me.

But I love kids so much. They’re so fun. So I thought, why not write books for them? I want my books to bring light and truth to those who read them, so why not start at an age where they’re the most impressionable? Our kiddos need to learn the truth of Jesus. Just because they’re children doesn’t mean they don’t struggle with sin or hard questions. I’m hoping to bring kids fiction that’s entertaining and enjoyable, but also shows them truth without being cheesy.

Right now I’m thinking of trying to write fiction that’s for the ages of about 7-12. So middle-grade fiction, and whatever’s below middle grade but above books that are for little kids. (I don’t think I could take writing picture books seriously XD)

So what are your thoughts on children’s fiction? Are there any books that you read as a kid/tween that impacted you and why? Does anyone have any experience writing any sort of children fiction? I need all the help I can get, so your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated! 😂😊

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
      @esther-c

Dunno who to tag…..

Koshka
        @koshka
          • Total Posts: 1558

@esther-c

*Stumbles in through window*

Did I hear Children’s fiction? Middle-grade literature?

*Deep if wobbly curtsey*

A writer and reader of all things such as these at thy service.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Elroi
          @elishavet-pidyon
            • Total Posts: 1057

Hey @esther-c !

Children’s literature is a precious genre!

Let’s see if I can figure out some answers from my own experience as a very young bookworm and aspiring writer of a children’s novel.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
            @koshka

Now to try and answer your starting questions.

So, what are your thoughts on children’s fiction?

My thoughts? I don’t think there’s room enough to properly answer that question. It would be easier to answer verbally, instead of here. But, in the pith, Children’s fiction, and I mean good children’s writing, is the same as any good writing. There is a message intended for the reader, which must be said in a way the reader will understand (in fact, more than understand. To believe). It is a ministry to reach the heart through the imagination.

Remember that souls are the same size, no matter their age.

Are there any books that you read as a kid/tween that impacted you and why?

Oh yes, so many books. Here’s the list that I can think of off the top of my head (these are only book that I read. I had many read to me which I loved, many of which were not “children’s literature” such as Louis LaMor’s Last of the Breed, and Little Women): The Chronicles of Narnia, The Green Ember, The Princess and the Goblin, Men of Iron, Hind’s Feet on High Places (in my tweens), Charlotte’s Web, The Trumpet of the Swan, Young Underground (by Robert Elmer), the Little House books, Hank the Cowdog, The Princess and the Pea (Gail Carson Levine), The Princess Academy, several Tullus comic books as well as a comic book form of Ivanhoe (a book I now dislike extremely having read the real version), Grim’s Fairytales, A Little Princess, Snow Treasure…anyway, you wanted to know why and how these impacted me. I’m going to pick a couple (because nobody needs that full list)

C. S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia: I grew up on the Focus on the Family audio drama. It was the first series I successfully read through. I loved the books for the deep characters (that were so much like me!) and the vibrant world. As I got older I began to understand the themes they had been teaching me my whole life, and now I go back time and again just to dig a little deeper into these beautiful portrayals of life. Honestly, C. S. Lewis is my all time favorite author, and one of the reasons I ever started writing.

The Green Ember: the first book series I got to read as it was published. Which meant months to years of waiting. The themes of the books are clear to me now, but at the time I understood them without realizing they were there.

Men of Iron: this is, believe it or not, a children’s book. I first read it for the medieval wonder and distinctly accurate portrayals of “life back then”. It taught me that people in history were really people just like me, with hopes and dreams and fears that don’t translate into history textbooks. I related to the characters, and they helped me understand my own life.

For the rest of these books I’m going to summarize my general feeling as a young reader: I wanted to relate with the characters, but I also wanted them to be heroic figures I could dream of. I wanted a character to feel, really feel, pain and sorrow, joy and victory. I especially liked it when emotions were described in concrete terms (probably because they made these things that, as a developing kid, I could feel but didn’t understand). Imagination was my escape in life. Books formed the world of my day dreams.

Does anyone have any experience writing any sort of children fiction?

I wrote middle-grade. Anything I’ve started writing has turned into middle-grade, and a few “coming of age” genre books. I’m not the most experienced writer (I mean, I’m not exactly published) but I have been writing childrens literature seriously for closing in on 5 years.

Elishavet Elroi
              @elishavet-pidyon

Ironically, most books that impact me now, are those that impacted me then. We read and enjoyed many books that I no longer remember because they went back to the library and apparently their impact ended there.

Long List of Books/Authors! Skip at will: The Trumpet of the Swan; Little Women; American Girl series and Mysteries; Nancy Drew;  Robert Elmer’s Adventures Down Under and Young Underground series; Little House series up to These Golden Years; The Chronicles of Narnia; The Evergreen Wood; Hank the Cowdog; The Imagination Station Adventures; A Little Princess; The Rescuers(original book NOT movie); Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan; Scout- Secret of the Swamp; Grimm’s Fairy Tales; Calvin and Hobbe’s; Men of Iron; Enola Holmes(not  recommending); Sir Gibbie; and Caddie Woodlawn. And I can’t remember any more. My mental catalog broke. 😉

As a tween we were introduced to Green Ember and probably drove all our relations mad for three years straight with Natalia. A few years after, we found the Wingfeather Saga, LoTr, and The Wilderking Trilogy.

When I was young, I wanted humor and fun characters. I think I liked it best when I could see myself in the character, whether a struggle I had or maybe similar circumstances or age. I also thrilled at danger in stories, and loved it when the adversities in the book were real. I gloried in a character’s courage to the point that my favorite parts were usually “dark before dawn.”

I hated it when a character was embarrassed or made a mistake, but the lessons they learned stuck with me. I still don’t like embarrassing a character needlessly, but there’s a reason Ember Falls is my favorite Green Ember book, and it’s not because Picket flies.

So, have great characters and don’t be afraid to make the struggle real. Write not only for their “now” but also for their “tomorrow.”

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
                @koshka

I agree with Elishavet that there were many books that we checked out at the library, read, and returned without a whole lot of impact.

And oh yes, I hated it when a character was embarrassed, but then I hated to be embarrassed myself. I also loved the dangerous parts of books, but I also dearly loved a well finished book. I was also, and still am I’m afraid, prone to skipping ahead a few pages or chapters when things got too tense. I’d come back and finish reading, I just had to know if everything would eventually be alright. XD

Esther
                  @esther-c

@elishavet-pidyon @koshka

Thank you so much for your input!! You’ve given me a lot of inspiration to draw from and I loved hearing what parts of books impacted you the most when you were younger!

Write not only for their “now” but also for their “tomorrow.”

Remember that souls are the same size, no matter their age.

I gotta pin these on my wall…

The Ducktator
                    @theducktator
                      • Total Posts: 725

@esther-c

There are many books that impacted me as a kid, but I’m just going to say Freddy the Pig. They are my comfort books now, and I’ve loved them since I was 6. There’s always at least 3 plot lines going on, and the characters are hilarious and full of personality. They also tie in a lot of what were then current events, like in one, the animals are trying to win a scrap metal contest, and in a later one, when one character doesn’t like the Martians because they’re in red suits and therefore must be Communists! They’re so well written. I don’t have any actual advice though.

@elishavet-pidyon

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn’t you recommend Enola Holmes?

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Koshka
                      @koshka

@esther-c

You’re welcome! I love children’s writing, and am thrilled to see someone else here on KP showing interest. Most writers here, if you’ve noticed, write either romance or YA. Not that those aren’t genres that desperately need good books, they’re just not where my passion lies. *Shrug*

Esther
                        @esther-c

@theducktator

Oh yes, I’ve heard you mention those!! Now I’m gonna have to check those out. 😉 They sound really fun!

@koshka

Yeah, I thought it’d be something fun to experiment with and see if it’s something I want to spend more time on. 😊

Elishavet Elroi
                          @elishavet-pidyon

@theducktator

There is good and bad to be said about the books. There are some stupendous characters, including a young Sherlock and his intrepid little sister. Often the plots are unique and full of twists, and the stories include tidbits of fascinating history like the Victorian Fan language and knife fighting techniques.

Unfortunately, many of those tidbits are either disturbing and/or completely misrepresented. Religion is subtly marginalized, and the themes are heavily feminist. As the series progresses, the tidbits become increasingly dark. There is brutal murder, abuse of children and spouses, and magic/fortunetelling to name a few. Sherlock is really neat, but he’s one of the only ‘good’ men in the books. So yeah, although we initially enjoyed them, I don’t recommend.

Power
                            @power
                              • Total Posts: 298

Grossly misrepresented, grossly feministic, and mentions awkward stuff (At least for a guy who’s now old enough to understands to read/hear)

That’s coming from a dude who listened to the series as a kid (When you have three sisters you get introduces to some interesting books.) and enjoyed them! Then years later I decided to go back through and listen to them again and was like “Oh. . .  I total missed that.😬😳 ” I ended up not finish my walk through memory lane.

You will love what you spend time with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >