Character Questionnaire

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Character Questionnaire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    hybridlore
    @hybridlore
      • Total Posts: 1354

Hey guys! I know we’ve already had some of these topics, but I made another one! I don’t like to go into TOO much detail about my characters, but I’ve found that answering a few important questions can go a long way in fleshing them out.

I just made this questionnaire the other day, and it’s helped me a lot so far! If any of you wants to use it, I would love to read your answers for the character, or to know what you guys normally use for your characters!

Name (full, nickname, anything important) —
      Race/desc. —
      Personality type —
      Are they confident or insecure? —
      What/who do they love? —
      What’s their relationship like with their family? —
      Who else is important to them? —
      Strongest character traits? —
      Weakest character traits? —
      What do they fear? —
      Who do they relate to? —
      What do they want? —
      What do they need? —
      (Note: what they want should relate to what they need, because ultimately the character will have to choose between the two.)
      Are they impulsive or practical? —
      What are their hobbies? —
      What’s their job? —
      Who do they trust? —
      Do they trust easily? Why or why not? —
      Who are they closest to? Who understands them? —
      How do they change over the course of the story? —

There is always light behind the clouds.
      - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

hybridlore
      @hybridlore

@esther-c @freedomwriter76 @euodia-vision @smiley @whalekeeper @kyronthearcanin @savannah_grace2009 @rae @highscribeofaetherium @jonas @spinner4him @aranel @everyone!

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas
          • Total Posts: 2624

@hybridlore

A lot of these are things I ask already, but it’s useful to see them all in the same place.

One question though: what does “weakest character traits” refer to? Is that for negative traits, or does it relate to how dominant that trait is in their personality? It might be better to rephrase those two as “strengths” and “weaknesses” instead, or just to consolidate them into a single “character traits.”

🏰 Fantasy Writer
          ✨ Magic System Creator
          🎭 Character RPer
          📚 Appreciator of Books

hybridlore
          @hybridlore

@jonas

I use it to mean negative traits, but you’re right, it’s a little confusing. I’ll change that.

Lol never mind, can’t edit it anymore.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by hybridlore.

-GRCR-
            @grcr
              • Total Posts: 943

@hybridlore

This is a good idea! 😃 (Can I share my questionnaire answers?)

“What be a cretin?”
              “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

hybridlore
              @hybridlore

@grcr

Thanks! Of course!

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas

Usually, I just develop my character’s personality in my head, and don’t write about it really. A lot of my old characters I know really well at this point, but newer ones I only have a general idea. Using a questionnaire like this might help me speed up the process.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                  🎭 Character RPer
                  📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                  @jonas

@hybridlore @anyone

So, I decided to create a doc and just put all the characters I’ve created into it and do the questionnaire for each of them in there, but one thing I realized is that this questionnaire doesn’t necessarily work for non-major characters. Side characters aren’t supposed to be super fleshed out, they’re supposed to be flat, so which questions do you think should be kept/removed to make a questionnaire for side characters. I suppose there are multiple levels of “flatness,” so it might depend on the character which ones are relevant.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                    ✨ Magic System Creator
                    🎭 Character RPer
                    📚 Appreciator of Books

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 692

Name (full, nickname, anything important) — Alec “Lick” Eaton
                      Race/desc. — Human
                      Personality type — Ambivert
                      Are they confident or insecure? — Insecure
                      What/who do they love? — His love interest Jessica
                      What’s their relationship like with their family? — He hates his father due to his abuse and barely knows his mother. No siblings.
                      Who else is important to them? — Jessica, his best friend, Kyle
                      Strongest character traits? — leadership, true friend
                      Weakest character traits? — easily angered, physically abusive when angry
                      What do they fear? — Losing those he loves, being hurt physically and emotionally

Who do they relate to? — He relates to both Kyle and Jessie as they all have been abused by someone
                      What do they want? — friends, not losing loved ones
                      What do they need? — someone he can trust that won’t leave him
                      (Note: what they want should relate to what they need, because ultimately the character will have to choose between the two.)
                      Are they impulsive or practical? — practical.
                      What are their hobbies? — sports, studying, reading
                      What’s their job? — teaching sports to younger kids
                      Who do they trust? — Jessica and Kyle (for awhile, his mentor, Mike
                      Do they trust easily? Why or why not? — No way! He’s been betrayed way too many times!
                      Who are they closest to? Who understands them? — Jessica and Kyle
                      How do they change over the course of the story? — He becomes a Christian and isn’t angered as easily

Anonymous

Name (full, nickname, anything important) — Jessica “Jessie or Jessi” (no last name as of yet)
                        Race/desc. — Human
                        Personality type — introvert
                        Are they confident or insecure? — insecure
                        What/who do they love? — Alec Eaton, her oldest brother and oldest sister
                        What’s their relationship like with their family? — Her mom, twin brother and younger siblings all hate her, her dad’s a workaholic and she barely knows him, and she adores her 2 oldest siblings but they moved away
                        Who else is important to them? — Alec and her 2 oldest siblings are it
                        Strongest character traits? — Smart, kind
                        Weakest character traits? — Socially awkward, easily offended and emotional
                        What do they fear? — Her mother, being away from Alec
                        Who do they relate to? — Alec
                        What do they want? — Alec to be/stay her friend
                        What do they need? — Someone to trust
                        Are they impulsive or practical? — practical
                        What are their hobbies? — reading, writing, drawing
                        What’s their job? — librarian
                        Who do they trust? — Alec Eaton, her 2 oldest siblings
                        Do they trust easily? Why or why not? — She does with Alec but everyone else she doesn’t, she’s been abused too many times
                        Who are they closest to? Who understands them? — Her 2 oldest siblings, Alec
                        How do they change over the course of the story? — She learns to trust again, she becomes a Christian

Anonymous

Name (full, nickname, anything important) — Kyle “Ky” Peter Smith
                          Race/desc. — Human
                          Personality type — very introverted
                          Are they confident or insecure? — very insecure
                          What/who do they love? — Alec, his mother, 2 sisters and grandpa
                          What’s their relationship like with their family? — His mom’s dad is the only one living and lives at his home, his mother works but also takes care of his family, making sure to spend plenty of time with them, his sisters can be annoying but also his best friends, his dad faked his death when Kyle was 2 so he never really met him and definitely doesn’t remember him
                          Who else is important to them? — Alec, his family (besides his dad), God
                          Strongest character traits? — Kind, Christian
                          Weakest character traits? — Doesn’t trust easily, is bitter towards his father
                          What do they fear? — abuse
                          Who do they relate to? — Alec
                          What do they want? — To have a trustworthy friend
                          What do they need? — A friend, one he can rely on
                          Are they impulsive or practical? — practical
                          What are their hobbies? — He doesn’t have time for hobbies
                          What’s their job? — He’s a slave to one of the villain’s henchmen
                          Who do they trust? — Alec, his mother, grandpa, and sisters
                          Do they trust easily? Why or why not? — No, besides his family and Alec, he’s been betrayed and abused too many times
                          Who are they closest to? Who understands them? — His family and Alec. Alec
                          How do they change over the course of the story? — He forgives his dad and learns to trust

Anonymous

Name (full, nickname, anything important) — Benjamin Eaton
                            Race/desc. — Human
                            Personality type — extroverted
                            Are they confident or insecure? — overly confident

What/who do they love? — His wife and son
                            What’s their relationship like with their family? — his wife left him and his son hates him, his parents stopped contacting him after he didn’t respond for years
                            Who else is important to them? — That’s it
                            Strongest character traits? — Smart, organized
                            Weakest character traits? — greedy for power, overconfident/prideful, easily offended
                            What do they fear? — Not being in control
                            Who do they relate to? — His mentor and nephew
                            What do they want? — To be in control and have power
                            What do they need? — power/control
                            Are they impulsive or practical? — impulsive
                            What are their hobbies? — tinkering
                            What’s their job? — Engineer, politics
                            Who do they trust? — His closest henchman, Mike
                            Do they trust easily? Why or why not? — No, his past abuse made him skeptical of others
                            Who are they closest to? Who understands them? — His mentor and his henchman, Mike
                            How do they change over the course of the story? — He gets caught, doesn’t change though

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                            @kyronthearcanin
                              • Total Posts: 697

@hybridlore

*Is trying to think of a character to use this on* *Doesn’t want to spoil anything in Healer/the sequel* XD

Oh btw I think I might call the sequel “Outlaw,” to fit the character sort of like “Healer” did. 😉

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

-GRCR-
                              @grcr
                                • Total Posts: 943

@kyronthearcanin

lol! Thats how I’m feeling… I might have to share side characters or something….

“What be a cretin?”
                                “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

hybridlore
                                @hybridlore

@jonas

So, I decided to create a doc and just put all the characters I’ve created into it and do the questionnaire for each of them in there, but one thing I realized is that this questionnaire doesn’t necessarily work for non-major characters. Side characters aren’t supposed to be super fleshed out, they’re supposed to be flat, so which questions do you think should be kept/removed to make a questionnaire for side characters. I suppose there are multiple levels of “flatness,” so it might depend on the character which ones are relevant.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, lol. Yeah, I see what you’re saying. So far I’ve used it on a few of my side characters, but I think it depends on the arc you’re giving the character and their role in the story. And I actually think that side characters are supposed to be fleshed out–that’s what makes them more realistic–but not too detailed to the point where they become too big in the story, unless that’s the point, if that makes sense.

For a character I need a little info on, but not a large amount, I would probably just ask myself:

Personality type —
                                  Are they confident or insecure? —
                                  Strengths—
                                  Weaknesses—
                                  Are they impulsive or practical? —
                                  Do they trust easily? Why or why not? —
                                  Who are they closest to?—

And then depending on the role of the character,

What do they fear? —
                                  What do they want? —
                                  What do they need? —

I think wants/needs are most important for the main characters, but any character that’s going to play a major role in the story should probably have them, too. Unless you’re going for a completely flat character. Anyway, hopefully that helped. I really tried to just narrow it down to questions I felt were actually important, but I think these are the biggest ones.

@sarafini

Awesome!

@kyronthearcanin

Sorry, I didn’t get your tag for some reason.. :/

Oh I love that!! It works so perfect with the first title XD and it sounds really cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >