Chapter Titles

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Hello again!
      So, I’m editing my novel, and originally, it has chapter titles, but I’m wondering whether I should keep them or not. What are you all’s opinions on chapter titles? Can they add, or can they detract?

@daeus
      @graciegirl @northerner @kate-flournoy @winter-rose @ethryndal @that_writer_girl_99 @jane-maree @jess @audrey-caylin @delightinlife

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
      @northerner
        • Total Posts: 244

It depends? I like the chapter titles in Pooh, because they help with the character of the stories. Other times they can be spoilery, like the ones in Le Morte D’Arthur. I was going to have chapter titles in two of my novels, but in revision I’m taking them out because in my case they weren’t adding anything. There were a couple of chapters where the titles, I thought, were really good, but since I wanted to be consistent (and not have five chapters in a row with no titles and then all of a sudden one with, and then another two without, and so on), I went the easier route of taking them all out, instead of trying to bring the mediocre ones up to par.

So I don’t think there’s an absolute right or wrong in all cases about chapter titles. You might use epigraphs, though, if you want a little something special to start a chapter with, and sort of tease about what the chapter will contain, while showing off your good literary taste and no being spoilery.

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99
          • Total Posts: 1819

This is something that I’ve considered with my own WIP, and I decided not to worry about it–for the moment. The reason is that oftentimes, what I want the chapter to contain doesn’t always happen within that certain chapter. I don’t want to name the chapter something unrelated to what happens within it.

But since you’ve finished your draft, you know what happens in each chapter. That means, in my opinion, that if you did choose to include chapter titles, you could choose names that refer to certain twists in the plot, or you could choose to do utterly bland titles. It depends on what you want to do. @dragon-snapper

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

@Dragon-Snapper Speaking purely from a reader’s point of view, I love chapter titles!! I don’t know if there is any writerly reason to not have them, but as a reader I am often disappointed if a book doesn’t have any.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Gracie
            @graciegirl
              • Total Posts: 889

I think it is also lots of fun when the titles follow a pattern of sorts. One of my favorite examples is from a book that had a chapter called ‘Cat, Rat and Dog’ When it starts out, you’re not entirely sure what these animals have to do with anything, but throughout the course of the chapter a cat, a rat and a dog each play an important part. The next chapter is a list of four names that you heard about earlier in the book, but don’t know who the names belong to. In that chapter you learn the identity of the people with those names. The common thread is each of the chapters had a list as a title and I liked how it provided a sort of rhythm to the titles. Okay, that was probably clear as mud. 😆 But that’s my two cents on the subject.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Ethryndal
              @ethryndal
                • Total Posts: 1013

I like chapter titles. Mind you, I’m probably going to end up not having them in my book, because I hate coming up with them, but as a reader, I really like them. They give a hint of what’s coming without being too obvious. You know, “As the Shadow Fell” or something cool like that. Before I start a book, I always read the table of contents first and pick out which chapters sound the most interesting so I can look forward to them.

However, I really don’t think they’re that important, as I’ve read a number of popular books that start their chapters with “1” “2” “3” type things.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Shaina
                @jenali
                  • Total Posts: 142

@dragon-snapper Personally, as a reader, I rarely look at chapter titles. Maybe I am weird, I don’t know. I would say that if your story would gain from them, put them in. If not, keep them out. Like if your story is more comedic, having funny chapter titles would be amazing and completely in keeping with the story.
                  Also if you switch POV’s for your chapters one thing you can do is name your chapters whatever POV you have in that chapter. I have seen that in multiple stories and it is actually really helpful.
                  Thus ends my two cents. 🙂

The Scattered Writer

Audrey Caylin
                  @audrey-caylin
                    • Total Posts: 323

@dragon-snapper I guess I’ll be the odd person and say I don’t like chapter titles 😛 This could mostly be because I read mainly on my kindle, and often, in the middle of the chapter, I forget the title, and have to skip back through the pages to see it.

Chapter titles do, however, give a sort of anticipation for the reader, since they know the chapter is going to involve something that has to do with the title.

Personally, I’m horrible at coming up with titles, so I don’t do chapter titles 😛 However, I don’t see anything wrong with them, besides the problems I run into on kindle 🙂

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 1486

I like titles, but I can’t come up with good titles to save my life. 😀

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 1352

@DragonSnapper Chapter titles all the way! But only if they’re good ones. Which the standard for would vary with different people. 😛 No blatant spoilers, and only titles that make sense. I love good chapter titles, but if they’re dull and irrelevant then I’d rather not see them at all. When you do have chapter titles, aside from it providing extra interest to the book, it makes it easier to remember where something is too. Remembering the name of chapter which has something you love in it is easier than remember the number. 😀

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy

I’m not gonna risk editing my post. It might disappear. 😛 So, @Dragon-Snapper—see above.

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy
                            Louise Fowler
                            @perfectfifths
                              • Total Posts: 726

@dragon-snapper I don’t mind when there are chapter titles in books. I don’t make chapter titles for mine, simply because I can’t really be bothered thinking of any. Really, it’s up to the person writing if they want to add chapter titles – I don’t think it adds or takes anything away from the story 🙂

Currently reading Les Miserables

Mark Kamibaya
                              @mark-kamibaya
                                • Total Posts: 318

Personally . . . don’t care because I don’t notice. If the book is riveting enough, then I don’t notice. I do notice if the book is a bore. So do what you want. I wouldn’t if I’m pressed for time, bu that’s just me.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Snapper
                                @dragon-snapper
                                  • Total Posts: 3515

Thanks all!
                                  After considering everything you all said, I decided I probably won’t keep them. I mainly just had them before because I don’t know. I had no reason really. They weren’t very good ones anyway.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >