Cast of Characters

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Cast of Characters

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gracie J.
    @gracie-j
      • Total Posts: 1789

Yea or nay?

I have had tons of people tell me that they wish I had a cast of characters section in my books. I have an numerable amount of charries, so I can tell how readers can lose track of them all. However, I know that if I put in a list of characters, I might would spoil some things. For certain books, I could totally do a cast list, but with my current series, the last thing I want to do is spoil everything.

So, what should I do? How do y’all feel about Cast of Characters sections? Should I put in a full cast list, or maybe just a “reoccurring cast” list? Do y’all have cast lists in your WIPs? Have you read books with cast lists that spoiled the story, or does it not bother you?

@joy-caroline @e-k-seaver @godlyfantasy12 @issawriter7 @mkfairygirl @abigail-m @devastate-lasting @writerlexi1216 @jenwriter17 @lewilliams @libby @et-cetera

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@gracie-j For manga I read usually the authors put one character profile after each chapter or so. For myself I usually put a list after the story/section (see link: https://www.webnovel.com/book/abluvion_14214021505660705/cast-of-characters_48658453379471721)

I usually try not to spoil the story, if they are important before but have some spoilers ahead of time I’ll put “???” in the important sections and then probably post an updated version when appropriate. Also, I have way too many characters for that one project, so I should try to keep up with character profiles…

I like it when authors put a quick list/reference ahead of the book too with a one-line description (like Agatha Christie for And Then There Were None, though my dad told me not to worry about looking at it.) Putting it at the end is fine with me too. I like to go back and reference it.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Issabelle Perry
        @issawriter7
          • Total Posts: 976

@gracie-j

Well, I know for me, if there’s a lot of characters in a story a cast list really helps me keep track of who is who. Normally, cast lists don’t spoil anything for me ’cause I’m someone who only reads it when a character shows up a second time and I don’t remember who he/she was. So you could put it at the end of your book, and it could only be of the reoccuring characters. I actually don’t have a cast list in any of my books, ’cause most of my stories only have a handful of people who are important to the story. So I only recommend it if you have a lot of important characters. 🙂

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
          TeenWritersNook.com

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1379

@gracie-j

The only example I can think of for books with cast lists are C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia series. At the beginning of each book the same characters are listed (just the main ones, not ones that appear for just like a minute lol). And I guess you could say it’s a spoiler because the cast list mentions that the Pevensie children ultimately defeat the White Witch, and the reader wouldn’t know that until reading the second Narnia book. But I didn’t feel it ruined the book at all. Personally I am not one to read through cast lists, just because when I begin a new book I just want to get to the story. (I also skip lengthy setting descriptions because I just want to know what happens next! I read those descriptive parts my second time through the book.)

But if your readers would like a cast list, I think you could go for it. I totally understand not wanting spoilers, so I would advise just putting in the main characters (the ones that reoccur) and a brief description of each.

Neither TAS nor The Anointed has a cast list, just ’cause I don’t feel they need it. But every story is different, and who knows, maybe an editor or publisher will one day request I do cast lists for my novels!

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17
              • Total Posts: 2522

Personally, when I see a cast of characters page it worries me that the cast is so large that the reader needs help to keep them all straight (when there are so many characters, I have a hard time connecting to the story sometimes). But I dunno, that’s just me…

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
              www.jennaterese.com

E. K. Seaver
              @e-k-seaver
                • Total Posts: 344

@gracie-j
                I honestly have no idea. I would agree with @jenwriter17, though. IDK.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                ekseaver.wordpress.com

Gracie J.
                @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting Yeah, I would like to have a short list just for referencing, because I know I always benefit from those in books I read.

@issawriter7
                  Yeah, I have so many characters that I do make cast lists for myself! XD So I’m contemplating doing one of the reoccurring characters. I hadn’t thought about putting in it the back, though. Good idea!

@joy-caroline Yeah, I’ll probably just stick with the reoccurring characters. If I hadn’t had so many requests for a cast list, I wouldn’t put one in, because I’m pretty good at keeping up with charries in books I read (even though a cast list is always appreciated). I would prefer not to do it, but I know I have a ton of characters, unlike some of my other books.

@jenwriter17
                  That makes sense. I have a lot of characters, but it’s hard to draw the line between which ones are important and which ones are too minor to bother mentioning. I have characters I mention multiple times, but are never present “on screen,” and vice versa, so that’s one of the difficulties in doing a cast list.

@e-k-seaver
                  I see. XD

Thank you, guys, for your feedback! I think I’m coming to a decision on what to do now!

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1379

@gracie-j

Probably that’s the best idea! Glad I could help!

Gracie J.
                    @gracie-j

@joy-caroline Great! Of course! 🙂

Abigail.M.
                      @abigail-m
                        • Total Posts: 1242

@gracie-j

Personally, I’ve never had to use the Cast of Characters list (The Snow Warrior only has five immediate characters), but I think “reoccurring cast” lists are excellent:) In fact, I kind of wish I had enough characters to make a cast list.
                        As for the spoilers aspect; spoilers have never really bothered me (except in mysteries of course:)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
                        Gracie J.
                        @gracie-j

@abigail-m Thank you! That helps a lot! I definitely think I’ll be putting together a reoccurring cast list!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >