Calling everyone but particularly twins, triplets, and brothers (or sisters)!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Calling everyone but particularly twins, triplets, and brothers (or sisters)!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Morgan
    @morgan
      • Total Posts: 51

I need sibling (or single child) relationship information!

My main characters in my current WIP are triplets and than their younger siblings who are identical twins. The triplets have 2 boys and a girl and the twins are both girls. I am trying to figure out what their relationship should be like, and while I have several siblings, no one in my family is a twin/triplet.

My question for any twins or triplets (or someone who has a lot of siblings/twins or triplet siblings and would like to chip in) is what is being a triplet/twin like?

More specifically, how does the age difference affect your relationship and how far apart were you born?

How close are you to each other (i.e. closer than normal siblings)?

Can you understand each other without verbal communication (tell what the other one is thinking)?

Does being a triplet/twin affect your relationship with other siblings (if applicable)?

Do people often mix you guys up/ do you look very similar?

Any additional common twin/triplet misconceptions or fun facts would be extremely helpful.

For brothers, I have a brother but he is the oldest and we are ten years apart, so I don’t really know what the relationship between brothers or a brother and sister would look like when they are the same or very close to the same age.

If you are a brother or have a brother, I would greatly appreciate any and all information regarding your relationship.

If you are a single child I also need to know what it is like being a single child since I am not one and one of the twins is raised as a single child.

I’m trying to be as accurate as possible and avoid all untrue stereotypes, but since I cannot personally attest to the real relationships of the kinds described above, I can greatly use your help.

I’m sorry that this post is so long and complicated, but hopefully some of you can help me. I am not going to tag anyone, but please feel free to tag people who you think could help.

Some people fail; others learn what not to try.

Elishavet Pidyon
      @elishavet-pidyon
        • Total Posts: 1013

@morgan

Hellooo! I am the younger twin of a girl-girl set.

Congratulations on incorporating multiples! It is an interesting crazy fun journey ahead. 😉

Also, it’s stupendous that you have triplets in your WIP, since most books settle for twins. (Which is great, except that there is so much unseen potential in the other kinds of multiples.)

So for your questions, let’s see…

More specifically, how does the age difference affect your relationship and how far apart were you born?

Hmm, since I and my twin are only a few minutes apart, we are extremely close in age (I mean, all multiples are close in age…). Since we are the same age, we have a close companion to grow up with. I think it just draws us closer together.

How close are you to each other (i.e. closer than normal siblings)?

Very. Yes, I would say that we are closer than normal siblings. I have two other siblings (singles), and while all four of us are very close, my twin is slightly closer. She’s the closest to a confidant I have (other than God, of course). Our mother noticed that when we were infants/very young, we were hardly upset if she left the room as long as we twins were together. We are pretty close.

Can you understand each other without verbal communication (tell what the other one is thinking)?

That depends on what you mean by wordless communication. There are those who claim a type of telepathic ability with their twin, but I have never seen/experienced this. What we can do, however, is communicate by eye signals/guessing what the other is thinking. Most of the time, we can easily hold near silent conversations this way, from reminding the other of book quotes that fit the verbal conversation, to asking questions. It’s just like when you know someone really well, and can at a glance, tell what they think about something.

Does being a triplet/twin affect your relationship with other siblings (if applicable)?

Yeah, it’s bound to. For us, it doesn’t strain anything, but we are both of us in one little group within the big group of siblings. Our brother doesn’t like to play Risk against us, because we form an alliance (the rule don’t say anything against it), and then after gaining global domination, discuss which one of us is the “winner”. XD As for really affecting our relationship, I’ll have to think about that one.

Do people often mix you guys up/ do you look very similar?

YES. ALL THE TIME. XD We do look very similar, but as we have gotten older we have sort of grown more different. Still, whenever someone calls one twin, the other instinctively checks to make sure they weren’t the one intended. Some twins don’t look at all alike, though, so have fun with that!

Any additional common twin/triplet misconceptions or fun facts would be extremely helpful.

I’ll think about this, and if I remember something, I’ll just add it later.

For brothers, I have a brother but he is the oldest and we are ten years apart, so I don’t really know what the relationship between brothers or a brother and sister would look like when they are the same or very close to the same age.

Brother’s are great! (You might know more than you think.) I have one brother who is a couple of years older than myself.

Our brother loves to tease us, and can be a torment at times (but never to hurt us). However, we have loads of fun together, and if one of us is sick/hurt he tries to make us feel better. He and my eldest sister will pick “fights” and debate the most ridiculous things. All in all, it’s lots of fun to have a brother, even if we can get really mad at each other (it never lasts long). XD

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Morgan
        @morgan

@elishavet-pidyon

Thank you so much for the helpful information!

As for wordless communication, I can kind of relate since my siblings and I can understand each other’s facial expressions pretty well, but I imagine it is much more magnified with a twin.

That’s hilarious! My family doesn’t like to play Risk in general because it is sooo long. 😉

My siblings and I do not look alike at all, but people still mix us up sometimes. There has been some pretty awkward conversations with someone mixing up our names. Not so much with mixing up our looks though, they just forget which name belongs to who. I imagine that it is so much more complicated with twins! I hope to incorporate some twin/triplet swapping in my book. 😉

Once again, thanks!

Koshka
          @koshka
            • Total Posts: 1424

@morgan

As Elishavet basically answered all your questions, I’ll just add a few things.

If you are a brother or have a brother, I would greatly appreciate any and all information regarding your relationship.

I’m not sure if it’s the fact I’m older or something else, but I’ve always been extra protective of my twin sister. I would also blow up on our older brother if he teased her. He knew this and enjoyed drawing my ‘wrath’ upon him.

I actually do have one that is obnoxious. Apparently people used to ask our mother this question, but as we have grown older they now ask us. “So, which one of you is the evil twin?” Or “Oh, so who’s the nice one?” I suppose some people think it’s funny, or maybe a brilliant question we’re never asked, but it’s like asking “So, do you hate God?” I’m sure they don’t think of it this way, it’s just, ugh. We usually just stare at them for a moment before quoting Scripture.

In books if one twin is a villain can it please be made clear there isn’t some sort of destiny that declares them evil, that they chose their own path? In fact themes of good vs. Evil are much stronger when it’s not some type of curse.

Anyway I think it’s great that you’re using triplets and twins in the same family. The odds of having multiples in a family where there are already a set makes the chances of another far more likely than singletons.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Koshka.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Koshka
            @koshka

@morgan

If some random post that looks almost identical to this one appears, just now the form ate my response four times. I did copy it thankfully.

As Elishavet basically answered all your questions, I’ll just add a few things.

I’m not sure if it’s the fact I’m older or something else, but I’ve always been extra protective of my twin sister. I would also blow up on our older brother if he teased her. He knew this and enjoyed drawing my ‘wrath’ upon him.

I actually do have one that is obnoxious. Apparently people used to ask our mother this question, but as we have grown older they now ask us. “So, which one of you is the evil twin?” Or “Oh, so who’s the nice one?” I suppose some people think it’s funny, or maybe a brilliant question we’re never asked, but it’s like asking “So, do you hate God?” I’m sure they don’t think of it this way, it’s just, ugh. We usually just stare at them for a moment before quoting Scripture.

In books if one twin is a villain can it please be made clear there isn’t some sort of destiny that declares them evil, that they chose their own path? In fact themes of good vs. Evil are much stronger when it’s not some type of curse.

Anyway I think it’s great that you’re using triplets and twins in the same family. The odds of having multiples in a family where there are already a set makes the chances of another far more likely than singletons.

Koshka
              @koshka

@morgan

Swapping is fun untill you get caught (speaking from personal experience).

Power
                @power
                  • Total Posts: 292

@morgan Being a big brother is awesome! I love my sister’s, and enjoy poking them in the sides or patting them on the head. (though I have to be ready to retreat quickly if they decide to wreak vengeance upon me.) But even though I might annoy them at times, they are my closest friends. I tell them my stories (something I’m shy to do with my parents), and spend a ton of time in their room talking about random things. Me and my sisters (Mostly my younger sister’s. My older sister tends to be in a book somewhere.) have spent hours upon hours playing in different worlds we’ve made up (and I will usually have a big battle to their chagrin.)

One thing that’s a pain is as they have gotten older, they have shied away from doing strenuous physical activities. I basically have to beg them to come and sword/knife fight with me, and tag is a rarity. Though this could be because I have become so much stronger/faster than any of them that they don’t have a chance, and so they don’t want to go through all the trouble of getting sweaty for nothing.

Basically being a brother is awesome and I have already warned my sisters that if a guy gets interested in any of them, he or I is going to die.

You will love what you spend time with.

Trahia the Minstrel
                  @trahia-the-minstrel
                    • Total Posts: 193

@power

That’s amazing. You sound like both my older brothers😂 My closest brother always used to play sword fights with me, and I even got him to help me mock out a fight scene for my book a few weeks ago …

@morgan

I’ve never been a twin or a brother, but I’ve had two older brothers, an older sister, and a younger sister. However, my brothers were 8 and 10 years older than me respectively, so I’m more in your camp when it comes to knowing how to relate to brothers that are waaaay older than you. My closest sibling is my younger sister, who is 3 1/2 years younger than me. And we’re basically best friends — though we have small fights over insignificant things almost every day. But I always get super protective of her, and she always adores me (I adore her too) so it balances out.

Siblings are great.😁

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                    That’s my wish to create.

Morgan
                    @morgan

@koshka

Thanks for the info! Rest assured, I have no intention of making one of the twins evil. I didn’t realize that that was a common question twins are asked.

@power

You sound a lot like my brother, except I didn’t do many strenuous physical things with him because he was so much older. He used to swordfight with my oldest sister all the time though. I’m sure your sisters appreciate your protectiveness (or not). ;P Thanks for sharing!

@trahia-the-minstrel

You sound a lot like my older sister who is 2 3/4 years older than me. We are definitely best friends, but we fight over the silliest things. All my siblings are either in college or graduate school now and I miss them a lot, but when they come home, you can be sure that we’ll have a disagreement over something trivial. 😉 I totally agree with you that siblings are great which is why I’m writing a book that involves siblings. =D

Koshka
                      @koshka

@koshka

*Deep curtsey*

It was rather enjoyable. May your characters be obedient to your whims and lively on paper.

I don’t know if it is common, or perhaps something doofy that happens to us. *Shrug*

Koshka
                        @koshka

@morgan

Oops, I just tagged myself for some obscure reason.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >