Brainstorming Zone

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Brainstorming Zone

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
      • Total Posts: 1819

@kate-flournoy You available to talk on the doc for a bit?

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99

@Kate-Flournoy Help, I need motivation.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@That_Writer_Girl_99 sorry I missed you. šŸ™ Iā€™m about to walk out the door too. I might possibly be available Friday though.
          *hands you inspiration just in case*

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 I have been summoned. May I be of assistance?

Elizabeth
            @that_writer_girl_99

Google doc? @kate-flournoy

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99

@kate-flournoy You there? Google doc?

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  Elizabeth
                  @that_writer_girl_99

Alright. šŸ™‚ @kate-flournoy

Elizabeth
                    @that_writer_girl_99

@kate-flournoy You on? I need help.

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 sorry I missed you. šŸ™ Keep tagging meā€¦ eventually Iā€™ll be here at the same time. šŸ˜›

Elizabeth
                        @that_writer_girl_99

@kate-flournoy Iā€™m on now if you are.

Elizabeth
                          @that_writer_girl_99

@kate-flournoy Iā€™ll just leave this here for you to respond to when you come back on.

Chapter 1 of Prison is completely converted to third person, but still from Karaā€™s perspective. And I really, really donā€™t like it. I like being able to see inside Karaā€™s head, and this new version just seems heavierā€“harder to show her character.

That being said, I still think the first 6 chapters could use some edits. Should I leave the story in 1st person and focus on the weaker chapters?

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 I still havenā€™t had a chance to read that. D: Sorryā€¦ I should get to it soon. But just for now, Imma risk @Emma-Flournoyā€™s wrath and say if you donā€™t like third person, donā€™t use it. First person mightnā€™t have the scope third person does, but for those who can write it well it makes up for that in depth. Iā€™m going to hazard a guess that since the story came to you in first person, it was meant to be written in first person. But if youā€™re stuck using a tense you donā€™t like and arenā€™t comfortable with, no one in the world says you have to keep using it. Personally, from what I know of your idea, I think your first instinct was right and it is a first person story. There is much to be said for third person (I use it almost exclusively) but different tenses (are they called that?) fit different ideas differently, and ultimately your subconscious comfort level with your story will be the surest indicator of when something is off.

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 Iā€™m over on the doc. šŸ˜‰

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy
                                  • Total Posts: 1352

@That_Writer_Girl_99 Hey, Iā€™m willing to admit First Person can be great, and I cite @Writefuryā€™s Blank Mastermind as proof. šŸ˜‰ I justā€¦Karaā€™s wasnā€™t doing much for me. *helpless shrug* You know if it was Iā€™d say so, I would. Maybe you donā€™t need to change to Third Person, maybe the First Person writing just needs more practice, or a different angle, or something. I wouldnā€™t know which, unfortunately. Iā€™ve never written First Person except in my journal and that doesnā€™t count. XD
                                  I will say though, it could also be just that youā€™re not used to writing in Third, so it needs more time; maybe if you worked with it more it would start working for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 118 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >