Beta-readers??

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Beta-readers??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Esther
    @esther-c
      • Total Posts: 3202

@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @gwyndalf-the-wise @felicity @lightoverdarkness6 @princesachronicle22 @joy-calle @gracie-j @r-m-archer @booksbyjayna @loopylin @theloonyone @keilah-h @mineralizedwritings @devastate-lasting @elishavet-pidyon @koshka @anyone-interested @anyone-that-I-have-forgotten-to-tag

Ok. I have a question.

So once I’m done with the second draft of my book, I want beta-readers. I know a lot of y’all are reading the first draft, but I’ll need people to critique the second draft.

Do y’all think that I should only have a few beta-readers, or a lot? Which one would probably be the best option? (In your opinion)

Thanks in advance!! 😄

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Power
      @power
        • Total Posts: 292

@esther-c

Could you provide a short book bio? (What genre is it, what is the story about, who is your targets audience?)

You will love what you spend time with.

Power
        @power

targeted*

Esther
          @esther-c

@power

Here’s the blurb: (Keep in mind, this is pretty much the blurb for the whole trilogy. I don’t have one for the first book yet)

They’ve been trapped inside The Orb for twenty years. It covered all of Aletheia. But it slowly closes in on the nation. The people stuck inside have no way to communicate to those outside. Families are separated. But the people have gotten used to The Orb. Until it is down to one district… only a few cities… Amidala Nadir is content with staying with her family in their corner of the district, but Everton Barlowe is determined to destroy the man who first placed The Orb over Aletheia. He joins a rebel group that is planning a coup on Bayron Len, the man who instituted the Orb. When the coup is performed successfully, a celebration is held throughout the city. But The Orb didn’t just disappear. Amidala was the only one who heard Len’s last words… and the truth is hidden in his riddle. Amidala and Everton understand enough of his puzzling statement that they know they have to take Len’s place. Len was holding back a much greater evil from corrupting their nation than they ever would have guessed. Will they be able to fulfill his role? Can they work together to push back the evil? They know what they must do, but it could cost their lives. Will they succeed? Or will the darkness subdue them all?

It is young adult dystopian, so the target audience is probably anywhere from 11-whatever ya fiction goes to. Lol Honestly, my target audience is really anyone who picks up the book. (Adult and young adult alike)

Is that enough info?

Power
            @power

@esther-c

Yep! It sound interesting. I might enjoy beta reading any scuffles or skirmishes!

Otherworldly Historian
              @otherworldlyhistorian
                • Total Posts: 216

@esther-c

I would say that I could definitely do it (though I have not read the first draft). The only thing is my schedule so I can’t promise it would be achievable in a timely fashion.

Through darkness,
                light shines brightest

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 692

@esther-c

I’d totally do it! I love the summary. So intriguing! 😍👀

Felicity
                  @felicity
                    • Total Posts: 811

@esther-c

I would love to beta read for you!! I love your characters and the story in general.

I think 5-6 beta readers should be good, but that’s just my opinion. You could probably have less than that, but more might be overwhelming. It’s up to you. 😉

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 110

@esther-c

I watched Abbie Emmons’s video on beta readers and she recommends having no more than 2-3. Personally I think 2-6 is just fine, but I would agree with @felicity that more might be overwhelming. The main thing you should probably take into consideration is that too many opinions can muddy the waters and confuse you on what you should change, what’s working and what isn’t, etc.

Folith-Feolin
                      @folith-feolin
                        • Total Posts: 310

@esther-c

I can probably do it. Maybe

Jayna Baas
                        @booksbyjayna
                          • Total Posts: 93

@esther-c I’m not a fantasy reader, so you don’t want me on your list, but I do have a bit of advice. Joy is right that you don’t want too many beta readers, so keep it to six or fewer, but focus on picking beta readers who (1) already read in your genre, (2) are willing to answer specific feedback questions, and (3) are part of your target audience. These are the only beta readers who will truly be helpful. That will naturally narrow your field, and then on your next book, pick the few who were the most helpful.

I will say, though, that any kind of effective marketing is going to require a narrower target audience. Trying to get your book to appeal to anyone and everyone will actually hurt your sales and make your marketing a lot more complicated. That’s not the question you asked here, so I won’t go into more detail, but you can always ask if you want more. 🙂

​Jayna Baas
                          Christian Author/Editor
                          www.booksbyjayna.com

MineralizedWritings
                          @mineralizedwritings
                            • Total Posts: 2794

@esther-c

If I have the time when you post it I’d love to beta read for you! (No promises but If it works out I’d be happy to!)

And hey we wright the same genre if that helps!

I love giving advice and would love to help you iron it out 🙂

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
                            @felicity
                              • Total Posts: 811

@esther-c

I was thinking about this last night, and although I would love to beta read for you, I’m not sure I would be a good beta reader because #1: I don’t know a lot about the dystopian genre, and #2: it’s really hard for me to give constructive criticism on things. Even though I know it’s good and will help people grow in their writing, it’s still hard.

So if you still want me to, I would love to read it because I love the story, but I may not be that helpful as far as beta-reading goes. It’s up to you! 😉

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Esther
                              @esther-c

@power @otherworldlyhistorian @sarafini @foltih-feolin @felicity @mineralizedwritings

Thanks for offering, though I’m not looking for beta-readers quite yet. 😉 Your enthusiasm is encouraging, though, and I’ll remember y’all when I’m searching for beta-readers. 🙂

@joy-calle

I watched Abbie Emmons’s video on beta readers and she recommends having no more than 2-3. Personally I think 2-6 is just fine, but I would agree with @felicity that more might be overwhelming. The main thing you should probably take into consideration is that too many opinions can muddy the waters and confuse you on what you should change, what’s working and what isn’t, etc.

Alright! That makes sense! 🙂

@felicity

I think 5-6 beta readers should be good, but that’s just my opinion. You could probably have less than that, but more might be overwhelming. It’s up to you. 😉

Ok! 😄

@booksbyjayna

I’m not a fantasy reader, so you don’t want me on your list, but I do have a bit of advice. Joy is right that you don’t want too many beta readers, so keep it to six or fewer, but focus on picking beta readers who (1) already read in your genre, (2) are willing to answer specific feedback questions, and (3) are part of your target audience. These are the only beta readers who will truly be helpful. That will naturally narrow your field, and then on your next book, pick the few who were the most helpful.

Ok! Thanks!

I will say, though, that any kind of effective marketing is going to require a narrower target audience. Trying to get your book to appeal to anyone and everyone will actually hurt your sales and make your marketing a lot more complicated. That’s not the question you asked here, so I won’t go into more detail, but you can always ask if you want more. 🙂

Oh, ok. I see what you mean. I’ll keep that in mind. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >