Backup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

Losing one’s writing is probably a writer’s worst nightmare…at least it is one of mine. Anyway, for the past few years I’ve manually backed up my writing on memory chips and flash drives, but I’m considering moving to something else. I like the idea of Carbonite, which backs things up online, but I don’t know if I want to pay $60 a year. There are also other things I could buy…but my question is this: What do you use for backup and what are your suggestions?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

Ha! Yeah, I’d better know about this. I completely lost 8 or 9 chapters of my book after dropping my computer. The answer is dropbox. Look no further. It is free and it works great. You don’t have to keep backing your book up as you keep writing either. Once your file is in dropbox, it backs it up every time you save the file. Even if a nuclear bomb goes off and destroys my computer and my families computers and all the thumb drives for miles around, I can still access my files by going onto the website and entering my password. What could be better?

Behold, Dropbox! https://www.dropbox.com

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rosey Mucklestone
        @writefury
          • Total Posts: 467

Since I self-published, all my actual, finished book files are one lulu.com. Other than that, a thumbdrive is pretty reliable. I don’t think Daeus’s hypothetical situation is very likely to happen. 😉

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

Well, no, but your house could burn down. Or you could lose your laptop (or drop it). The big advantage of Dropbox over a thumb drive is that you will have all your text up to the last time you saved your file. I do that probably every 5 min. A thumb drive however, that is an annoyance. I might only save it every week or so and You could write a whole chapter or more in a week.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Amanda Fischer
            @wordfitlyspoken
              • Total Posts: 79

Agreed that thumb drives are annoying and hard to remember to use.

I write on Google Docs, which saves automatically every few seconds and is stored “in the cloud,” so that’s basically all I do as far as back up goes. It’s free, and I can access it anywhere, so that works for me! (I actually started using it when our family got a couple of old laptops…since we have a bunch of kids who all needed to type things and look things up and such for school, there’s no telling what laptop you might be using when.)

Rosey Mucklestone
              @writefury
                • Total Posts: 467

True… True…
                We have Dropbox. I might just have to use it now. 😛

Hope Ann
                @hope
                  • Total Posts: 1092

@daeus Dropbox…thanks so much. I have my writing on there now. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

Ooooh… I’ll have to look into Dropbox, Daeus. I’ve had nightmares about losing my stuff ever since I accidentally hit ctrl A instead of ctrl S and highlighted my entire file, then started typing without noticing. I was able to recover it via edit undo, but let’s just say I went around with less than stable legs for the rest of the week.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >