Autobiography/I need help!

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Non-Fiction Autobiography/I need help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 692

Hey! I’m sure there are some here who enjoy writing autobiographies. How do you start one? I’ve never done 1 before.

Folith-Feolin
      @folith-feolin
        • Total Posts: 310

@sarafini

are you sure you want to write an autobiography?

Autobiography are about yourself and cover everything in your life up to the point of writing

There are also

memoirs which are about a specific point in your life

biographies which are about other people

also you could write a fictional version of one of these were you just write one of the above about a fake person usually in a fake world the only book I have seen do this correctly is name of the wind and that is just a weird book.

That is sadly all the help In can offer

Esther
        @esther-c
          • Total Posts: 3202

@sarafini

That sounds really cool!! I’ve never known anybody who has written an autobiography before.

The only advice I can offer, is this:

Read other auto/biographies. Then you can see how they wrote it. Secondly, when you’re starting at your childhood, you don’t have to document everything. Think of some really important moments that happened, and only do that. So really, start by writing down or outlining important moments and memories that impacted you life.

Hope that helped!! 🙂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Erica
          @starofthenorth
            • Total Posts: 199

@sarafini

It’s cool you want to write an autobiography!

I don’t mean to discourage you from doing what you want to, but it might be better to wait till you’re older and have more to write about. Unless, of course, you have a story that you want to share about what’s happened to you already.

Or maybe you were meaning to start writing one now and write more as you live longer. That’s a great idea!

Another thing you could try is writing a story with autobiographical elements, say the main character is a whole lot like you and goes through similar things that you have gone through. I know @arien has done this, so maybe she can hop on and explain a little more.

But good for you for wanting to share your story with the world!😊

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Erica.

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 76

I agree with @starofthenorth , but I think you could start writing scenes now. That way, when you’re older, it’ll be easier to have interesting details. That said, you’ll probably want to be consistent with how many details you put in scenes.

Hope this helps!

Felicity
              @felicity
                • Total Posts: 811

@sarafini

If you want to write an autobiography but don’t want to right now, you could keep a journal or diary of important events as they happen, and then use it later on to write your book.

(That’s what I’m planning on doing one day when I’m an old grandma. 😀 )

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Arien
                @arien
                  • Total Posts: 193

@sarafini

Autobiographies, I think, generally start with a short scene from some important moment in the person’s life and then go back to when they were born, their parents, and all that stuff. I’m interested in writing one too, but I’m waiting until I’m older, mainly because more will have happened and because I’ll have a better perspective on it.

But until then . . .

am using autobiographical elements in circumstances and emotions and such in my WIPs. In a way, every MC that I’ve written much about is a part/side of me. I find it really emotionally helpful and therapeutic to describe the loneliness I’ve felt, for example, or try to show a character going through something similar to what I went through. At least one WIP is kind of an allegory of part of my life, if that makes sense, but it’s not going to be obvious to anyone else but me.

There’s my two cents, I hope it helps!

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
                  -Christopher Blakewell

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >