Art Challenge!

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Art Art Challenge!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Linus Smallprint
    @linus-smallprint
      • Total Posts: 114

@highscribeofaetherium, @theducktator, @theshadow, @grcr, @keilah-h, @trailblazer, @stephie, @theloonyone, @thearcaneaxiom, and anyone else who has come to check this out.

Hello everyone!

I have a fun idea for a challenge to exercise both drawing and writing skills. The idea is this, someone posts a description of a character he or she has yet to show anyone artwork for. Everyone else attempts to go and draw the character based on that description, trying to get as close to what the author is imagining as possible. For authors, this might help them realize where they are insufficient in describing characters and may help artists figure out how to turn a description into art. The winner is whoever draws a picture that is closest to what the author imagined. (Sorry, no price, except experience, of course! This is just for fun.)

Rules are simple. The author gives a description, and everyone else participating draws. The author does not need to be an illustrator himself. For the less artistically inclined people, character creators such as Hero Forge are allowed. Judging is not based on the quality of art (although I still encourage you to put effort into your illustrations), but on the accuracy of the author’s imagination. Please stick with how you imagined the character at the start of the challenge, even if someone’s artwork of your character inspires you to change him. When you announce the winner, please include either your rationale as to why the character matches your imagination best or the artwork you have created to compare the winning illustration.

Please let me know if you are interested! Also, feel free to tag people I have not staged who you think might be interested!

I currently have a character I am working on some art for currently, so I could go first with writing a description. I would let people submit illustrations until I have finished this character illustration. I might not post the description until next week Monday or Tuesday.

Stephie
      @stephie
        • Total Posts: 70

@linus-smallprint

That does sound really interesting! Depending on when this will be going on, I might be able to participate, but I’m kind of busy this week so I dunno.

"Courage, dear heart." -Aslan

-GRCR-
        @grcr
          • Total Posts: 1015

@linus-smallprint

I got soo excited when I saw this, lol! 😆😆 I love this idea and I’ll definitely participate!

...There is no word for thank you in Dothraki...

HighScribe
          @highscribeofaetherium
            • Total Posts: 2333

@linus-smallprint

Cool! I’ll definitely participate when I have time, but I might not be able to do every character.

The pen is mightier than the sword… but I still want a sword.

Loopy
            @loopylin
              • Total Posts: 2190

@linus-smallprint This sounds fun! I’d definitely like to participate. Maybe it will get me out of my current art block

“Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help mom with the dishes.”

TheShadow
              @theshadow
                • Total Posts: 150

@linus-smallprint

This is so creative, I’ll definitely join!

The Ducktator
                @theducktator
                  • Total Posts: 444

@linus-smallprint

I’m not much of an artist, so I likely won’t submit any drawings, but I’d love to submit a description!

Accordion to a recent survey, inserting musical instruments into sentences goes largely unnoticed.

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 4081

@linus-smallprint I’ll do it!! This sounds really fun.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ava Blue
                    @ava-blue
                      • Total Posts: 222

OOH HOW BRILLIANT
                      I love this idea! It’s a very nice symbiotic exercise hehehe

I would love to join, if you don’t mind 😀

Monsters creep
                      In the silent dark-deep
                      In the filling-eye hills
                      In the shriveled hand-keep

Linus Smallprint
                      @linus-smallprint

@stephie, @grcr, @highscribeofaetherium, @loopylin, @theshadow, @theducktator, @keilah-h, @ava-blue, and @whalekeeper (not sure if you are interested in this, Whaley, but I realize I forgot to include you in the original post).

I’m back, after a busy weekend! A lot of you are interested in this art challenge, so I will go ahead and submit the first description. I think I will give you all two weeks to submit a drawing (Deadline June 25). Is that enough time for everyone?

Stephie and HighScribe, don’t feel a need to participate in every challenge. I understand if you are busy. I myself will probably not be doing every challenge. (I just hope we do not get to the point where someone submits a description and no one draws the character.)

Ducktator, you can submit the second description after the first challenge.

I will post the description of my character soon. I hope you don’t mind drawing crow monsters. 🐦‍⬛

Linus Smallprint
                        @linus-smallprint

I’m going to go foe a character named Charles. You are missing some context for this, so I will try to provide a little, but this character I have not shown any artwork for yet and I have a pretty good picture of him in my mind.

The context you need is that those who use magic in this world are corrupted and turn into crow-like monsters called wizards. In their most corrupted stare (you can tell when a wizard is in this state because he will have purple, lightning-shaped scars), they are mindless monsters who will destroy anything that gets between them and magical artifacts. Charles is a fully corrupted wizard, but there is something different about him.

Character Name: Charles

Description:

From Chapter the ???th (I haven’t gotten this far yet in draft two, but the description will likely be similar. I also have removed some spoilers or things that would likely confuse you without context)

Seated on a stool on the porch was a creature. A monster. A fully corrupted wizard. Alan hesitated, the creature’s back was to him so that he did not notice the soldier approaching. The creature certainly looked monstrous. Large black wings and a feathery tail grew from it’s back. Its arms and legs ended in grotesque talons. Ugly, purple lightning-shaped scars ran all over his body. While he could not see it, Alan knew the wizard’s upper arms, while bearing scars, would still be human, showing what this creature had once been. Alan grimaced when he caught sight of the one that ran right through the wizard’s right eye, leaving it blind and an airy milky purple colour. Alan scratched his own, feather-covered elbow. The sight brought back many painful memories.

But there was something different about the wizard, something Alan had not been expecting. Something that caused Alan to think of the wizard as ‘he’ instead of ‘it’. For starters, the wizard was playing a banjo and singing. This looked a little odd since his wrists did not have the same flexibility as human wrists, but the wizard had learned how to play it again anyway, using his sharp talons to strum the strings. Instead of being dressed in torn and dirty rags, the creature was dressed in a clean white shirt and some tan-coloured trousers, with suspenders holding them up. Two extra sleeves had been added to the back of the shirt to accommodate the wings and the trousers had a hole that fit comfortably around the tail. It was clear that the clothing had been made especially for this creature.

But what struck Alan more than the clothing the wizard was his attitude. Wizards were supposed to be mindless monsters, yet here this one was, joyfully playing a banjo. Having a beak for a mouth, the creature could not show the same level of expression that he had been able to as a human, but somehow Alan felt that if he could, the creature would be smiling. It would not be the sort of smile a monster would give, an evil smile of triumph over its prey. It would also not be a proud smile Alan had seen lyens give, the smile that said, look how much more powerful I am than you. No, Alan knew if this creature was smiling, it would a a smile of peace. A smile that would say, ‘I know I am a monster, but I have no need to worry about it anymore.’ Alan felt a sense of longing for the peace this wizard had.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I will give you a picture of what wizards typically look like in this world, and I think it is fair for you to see it since if I had asked for a human or animal character, everyone would know what that looks like. I look forward to seeing how you interpret this description!

Linus Smallprint
                          @linus-smallprint

A reference picture for wizards.

Wizards of Ehverwyld

The Ducktator
                            @theducktator
                              • Total Posts: 444

@linus-smallprint

Ducktator, you can submit the second description after the first challenge.

Okay!

I will post the description of my character soon. I hope you don’t mind drawing crow monsters. 🐦‍⬛

I might try to draw that. I’m better at birds than people.

Accordion to a recent survey, inserting musical instruments into sentences goes largely unnoticed.

-GRCR-
                              @grcr

@linus-smallprint

Alrighty!! 😄 I’ll start as soon as I can!

-GRCR-
                                @grcr

This will be fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >