Apologetics

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 8156

@orangearmadillo Yes, same. 😊

Yes, so happy to see how everyone has been able to discuss beliefs in respectful, considerate, and kind ways. You don’t see that much, even between fellow Christians, which is what makes KP so much more beautiful.

So everyone, y’all are amazing *hearts* 💖💖💖💖💖💖

TheArcaneAxiom
      @thearcaneaxiom
        • Total Posts: 1299

@ava-blue

Thanks, that means a lot!

That’s actually not how the LDS Church works, Very different culture in that regard😅 We are a single worldwide church, united under (what we believe as) divine priesthood authority, having modern day prophets, seers, and revelators. Though there are a small handful of split off groups from when the Church was getting on its feet.

Here’s a link to the official website:

h ttps://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/?lang=eng (delete the space after the h)

You should be able to ask any questions on the search bar, and make sure your filter is set to all. If you have any particular questions that you can’t find, then I’ll be happy to help!

Also, be wary about where you look beyond this, because there is a lot of negativity towards the Church that will say a lot of weird things, saying they got an inside scoop. Sometimes based off of truth, but often twisted, but that’s true for everything in todays world, so the point is, be careful in your study’s, and good luck! I appreciate your interest in the conversation!

@freedomwriter76 @orangearmadillo

That’s awesome! I have an immense respect for non-denominational Christians, because that means your not locking your mind on any set interpretation of the Bible, still simply trying to understand it yourselves, instead of being told how to understand it, leading to a far more genuine search for truth!

Thanks freedom, that means a lot, I try to speak with love and understanding, and I still feel like I come short sometimes (or long, I am one who rants🤣), but I’m glad to be in such a kind community that returns that same love and understanding in return! That’s really cool that you saw that Church building! (meeting house we call them, as we are a unified Church) It’s funny when that happens, you notice something everywhere the moment you learn about its existence😂

Orange, that’s really cool that you were able to so lovingly and gently point out that to your friend! What I love about these sort of things is that Christ Himself was actually very logical. He pointed out the obvious flaws in the arguments of the scribes and Pharisees and other learned men, but it did so with a loving calmness, only turning to anger denunciation when it was absolutely necessary. You showed a subtle Christ-like attribute in the way you asked that one question, and that’s pretty cool if you ask me😊

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Anonymous

@thearcaneaxiom

That’s awesome! I have an immense respect for non-denominational Christians, because that means your not locking your mind on any set interpretation of the Bible, still simply trying to understand it yourselves, instead of being told how to understand it, leading to a far more genuine search for truth!

Yes. I know many people stick to certain denominations, and I have nothing against it, but for me personally, it isn’t something I’d prefer.

Thanks freedom, that means a lot, I try to speak with love and understanding, and I still feel like I come short sometimes (or long, I am one who rants🤣), but I’m glad to be in such a kind community that returns that same love and understanding in return! That’s really cool that you saw that Church building! (meeting house we call them, as we are a unified Church) It’s funny when that happens, you notice something everywhere the moment you learn about its existence😂

You’re very welcome <3 Yes, I can totally understand what you mean, for sure. And yes, KP is one of the most amazing communities I have ever seen, everyone is so kind and understanding, and I love it.

Haha, it is funny. XD And yes, it was very cool! 🙂

OrangeArmadillo
          @orangearmadillo
            • Total Posts: 95

@thearcaneaxiom

Thanks, that means a lot. I try to resemble Christ in sharing the faith, but sometimes it can be VERY hard. The simple questions are what I try to use most. I’ve found my self (ever since having these conversations on KP) praying that I would be able to debate an atheist and lead him to Christ! That’s a huge step for me, I used to be very very shy. Now I feel the opposite. Thanks for the guidance 😀

The measure of a man is how much bacon he eats.

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom

@freedomwriter76

Yes. I know many people stick to certain denominations, and I have nothing against it, but for me personally, it isn’t something I’d prefer.

Yeah, and that’s great. We are all on our own separate paths in making covenants to the Lord. As long as we are sincerely and humbly seeking Him out, He will reveal His truths to us line upon line, precept upon precept. The mere fact that there are different denominations, in my mind at least, shows that many of these differing views are the interpretations of man, and are not always of God, so there is a great needed humility when one is in some denomination, because the history of that denomination they must realize is likely a derivative from some other faith, and that deviation was likely from some man or woman that disagreed with the current norm, which leads to the widespread kinds of denominations believing in all sorts of different things. Even then though, I feel that as long as said humility is there, and indeed a humility no matter what you believe, God will guild us even in our shortcomings in trying to serve and learn of Him.

@orangearmadillo

Thanks, that means a lot. I try to resemble Christ in sharing the faith, but sometimes it can be VERY hard. The simple questions are what I try to use most. I’ve found my self (ever since having these conversations on KP) praying that I would be able to debate an atheist and lead him to Christ! That’s a huge step for me, I used to be very very shy. Now I feel the opposite. Thanks for the guidance 😀

It can be hard, there is so many mental hurdles you have to get through, especially fear. Your probably better than me in regard of the simple questions, because as you might of picked up on… I tend to rant far too much, then people will doze off, and don’t pick up on anything I’m trying to point out to them, though I think I’ve had my moments of simplicity. Like this one time someone asked me where in the Bible does it say that they couldn’t do drugs and a variety of other things, making a point about how it isn’t in there. I simply responded with “drugs didn’t exist back then, so they didn’t write about it, but what the Bible dose teach, is that our bodies are temples, and we must treat them as such”. I’m hoping to be able to have more moments like that, but I’m hoping more so that those moments I may truly speak by the Spirit.

I’m glad that you feel that desire! Missionary work is awesome, and I’m preparing to be a missionary in more or less a year from now, so I’m really glad to have these conversations as well. Just remember that if you want to preach the Words of Christ, do so with a sincere love for the one your teaching, and a desire to lead them to Christ, and not to simply debate someone to your side, and even if they reject you and persecute you, don’t stop loving them, the victory is in the invitation! (not at all saying that’s what your doing, just want to speak on the distinction, as I feel it’s important to mention).

Thank you as well, I love having these loving conversations!

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Anonymous

@thearcaneaxiom

Yeah, and that’s great. We are all on our own separate paths in making covenants to the Lord. As long as we are sincerely and humbly seeking Him out, He will reveal His truths to us line upon line, precept upon precept. The mere fact that there are different denominations, in my mind at least, shows that many of these differing views are the interpretations of man, and are not always of God, so there is a great needed humility when one is in some denomination, because the history of that denomination they must realize is likely a derivative from some other faith, and that deviation was likely from some man or woman that disagreed with the current norm, which leads to the widespread kinds of denominations believing in all sorts of different things. Even then though, I feel that as long as said humility is there, and indeed a humility no matter what you believe, God will guild us even in our shortcomings in trying to serve and learn of Him.

Amen to that. <3

Anonymous

@thearcaneaxiom

(taking a quick break from studying the Driver’s Manual to ask/chat)

So, I was thinking about how I’ve heard about some of the “controversial” beliefs of some that are a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I think I heard something about some people being awarded a planet or something like that (and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong; just repeating something I heard at a Baptist Youth Group one night that me and my siblings went to a couple times even though we didn’t go to the church since we’re non-denominational) when they die or something.

And I was curious, is that one of the beliefs of at least some in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and if so, what’s some of the beliefs behind it?

Just curious, no judgement from me at all. <3 I’ve loved learning more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from you. :3

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom

@freedomwriter76

That’s a great question! There’s a lot of different ideas floating around within that question, so I’ll do my best to explain.

Taking the question for face value, the answer is not really (Though I can’t speak for everyone in my faith, but I can say that it isn’t regarded as doctrine). That being said, there is a lot we do believe that has similar ideas that lead to this.

So this is tied to what we regard as truths concerning God’s nature, and man’s nature (there might be a few unfamiliar ideas). We believe that God the Father is indeed in the literal sense the Father of our spirits, and thus we are His children in a literal sense. As our Father, He loves us, and wants us to become like Him, like any loving parent would want for their child. That being said, a loving parent will also want their child to be where their most happy, and that’s not always with them as sad as that is. So there is an eternal progression, where God gives His children the opportunity to progress to as far as their comfortable, because He will not force them to choose Him, because Heaven won’t be Heaven to someone who does not choose to live heavenly.

So if it is true that we can eventually become like God, does that mean that we ourselves may become gods? At this point, we say go and pray about it. This could mean that we are given a planet(I don’t think so), or it could mean we create our own planets, galaxies, universes, and have our own divine children, creating an eternally growing divine family, or it could simply mean that we live under God as servants and extensions of His will or something. Honestly, we make no real claim as to what the specifics are in this regard. That’s really a far ways off, and we don’t really talk or stress about it as much as many other Christians think we do.

Yes we believe that we each have divine potential, but the specific consequences of that on the long term we don’t think has been completely revealed yet, nor do we think it necessary to know at this point in our eternal progressions. Though many members do have their own ideas on what that looks like, including me, but as far as the doctrine goes, that’s basically all we know.

I hope that helps clarify some things, thanks for listening, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Anonymous

@thearcaneaxiom That clears up many things, thank you so much! It makes sense that different people within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would have differing beliefs on it, same as how different people within Pentecostal, Baptist, Presbyterian, etc. denominations have differing beliefs/convictions about various faith issues.

That’s really interesting though.

Thanks for answering my question :3

TheArcaneAxiom
                      @thearcaneaxiom

@freedomwriter76

Of course:)

Anonymous

@thearcaneaxiom I’ll be sure to reach out if I ever have any more questions :3

Ava Blue
                          @ava-blue
                            • Total Posts: 222

@thearcaneaxiom thank you kindly for the explanation and the resource! That is quite a departure from what I’m used to, I’m just one flavor of reformed evangelical LOL. I will look into that. And I totally get that, it feels like third parties always put a weird spin on things when it comes to researching denominations and religion and whatnot.

By the way, I admire how well you defend your faith and beliefs! You explain things very well and you’ve already cleared up quite a few of my misconceptions. :3

Monsters creep
                            In the silent dark-deep
                            In the filling-eye hills
                            In the shriveled hand-keep

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom

@ava-blue

Of course, happy to help! That’s all good XD! We’re all on our own paths towards our Savior!

Thanks! I’m really glad that I’ve been able to break some of those misunderstandings, there is really so many similarities between our faiths, and if we simply take a moment to understand one another, we can find strong neutral respect! I’m excited to hear more from you!

TheArcaneAxiom
                              @thearcaneaxiom

Happy fourth of July!

Since it seems that it is going to be quite a bit longer than I expected for a few of the conversations I’ve been in to continue, would anyone like to discuss any other theological subject?

What about some of these:

What happens to those who don’t have the opportunity to learn about the Savior in this life?

Where is the line we must walk between scholarly rigor and child like faith?

Anything else that has touched someone’s mind lately?

TheArcaneAxiom
                                @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin @kathleenramm

Hi Folith, Hi Kathleen! How’s life been on your sides? I really don’t enjoy pestering people, but I’ve been wondering if either of you are intending to continue our conversations. It has been well over a month now, and the longer you don’t do something, the less likely your going to do it. I understand completely if life is taking over and you haven’t had time, or if the directions the conversations have lost your interest. If your able, it would be great if you could just let me know that we can’t continue right now. If your still interested and plan on responding to my comments, could you maybe give an estimate as to when you think you could and would?

Thanks for bearing with me, I hope you’ve been enjoying your summers!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 399 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >