Anyone Need Some Editing?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Anyone Need Some Editing?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

Hey everyone! So…I’m trying to get my life kinda back on track, XD, which includes getting back to my schooling on becoming an Editor!

I’ve just got a lot of visions for my life and stuff, and also going thru some stuff I hope God and my family will be able to help me through. I’m pretty optimistic about the future, but wanna get back to work on some stuff.

That being said! My schooling is more along the lines of teaching the Technical aspects of being an Editor. How to set up the business, get hired, etc.

So I need actual practice and other things in actual editing!

I plan, after finishing my school, starting on my books I’ve bought for editing as well to study, but what else is better to also get my feet wet then actually editing!

So…

I am offering up my services (tho they may not be great yet XD) to anyone who might needs some editing!

Now this is sorta a win-win thing, because I’ll also get help/practice in editing, because if I give any advice that y’all don’t agree with or think is wrong, I ask that y’all plz let me know!

Now there are different types of editing!

So I’ll let u choose what you need 😊

Also u don’t have to submit something huge, it can be a paragraph, a sentence, etc! Anything helps!

Structural/Developmental Editing- These look at the structure of the story. How does it flow? How is the style, tone, etc? Structural and Developmental edits can be done together or seperately.

Copy Editing- looking for typos, grammar mistakes, etc. also looking for active versus passive voice, and other things.

Line editing- This is near the end usually. Line by line editing. Examining word choice, looks for cliched wording, polishing, etc.

Mechanical Editing- This can deal with punctuation, other grammar, etc. but it can also deal with format.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 8156

Ahh, girl, I’m so happy you’re taking this step! <3

Currently, I’m about to start work on my own editing for the book I just finished, but I’ll be sure to keep you in mind if I want another opinion on everything 😊

You’ve got this, girl

I hope you can learn a lot through this and I also hope you’ll be able to encourage a bunch of other writers by helping them out with editing ✨💖

Whaley
        @whalekeeper
          • Total Posts: 2623

Oh my goodness, honestly I would love to get into editing as a profession and I’m seriously thinking about it! What books do you use?

And this is a great topic, because I’ve been wanting some pointers ever since… well, a couple months ago. There’s always room for improvement.

So Godly, feel free to tear my heart out and feed it to an axolotl.

… This scene is something I just wrote a couple hours ago, at a coffee shop with my family ❤

It’s between Hugo and Seb. I didn’t add any context setting, so ignore their surroundings. Seb has been incredibly tight recently, more than usual, and Hugo (his newly adopted brother, kinda) wants to give him a hug and a bit of a talk.

The tall, soft-eyed boy held out his hands. ‘I don’t bite.”

Sebastian’s throat tightened. Slowly and gingerly, as if a rod had been rammed through his spine, he clung to Hugo’s arm and knocked his forehead against the boy’s side.

Hugo rubbed his shoulders gently. “Still not used to public demonstrations of affection?”

“Stop calling me out.”

“Okay, okay, I know you’re trying.”

Seb never tried. He accomplished. But in this area of life, ignorance seemed to follow him like a shadow, making grotesque faces whenever he saw it in the corner of his eye.

He was supposed to be a kid.

A kid who laughed, and babbled, and cried.

But somehow, when he tried…

It felt like fulfilling mere story beats. Signing off systematic paperwork with a forged signiture, watching as it was carried away to be examined by everyone he knew and, admittedly, loved.

He was a kid who was forced, off-key, and wrong.

He ignored his ignorance, and shoved his face deeper into his brother, until everything just felt warm and dark.

“May I guess at something?” Hugo asked, after some silent breathing.

“Shoot.”

“Charles only hugged you that one time. After the riot, when I found you. Only ever that one time.”

How pleasantly blunt.

“…Shut up for a second while I bawl my eyes out.”

And Hugo did, while muffled, angry wails found their home and death in his sweater.

Then, after the wails had abruptly stopped – “I don’t think your emotional state has ever been monitored by another human being,” the older boy said.

Probably not… At least, not enough.

“Actually.” Seb, head now pressing smack in the middle of Hugo’s stomach, tilted it in thought. “There was that time when my dad had to shield me from a pile of burning roof debris. I don’t remember it clearly, but I do remember he had to tuck me inside his jacket, since I had been in my crib prior to the incident – and due to my personal preferences, was butt-naked.”

This he said matter-of-factly.

“Wow.”

“At nine months old, I know. I’m pathetic. And my memory isn’t what it used to be. But it was kind of like hugging.”

Hugo blinked, and continued as if this was entirely normal. “Did he try to comfort you?”

“…I think I was comforting him.”

“…Really?”

“Yeah.” Seb surprised himself. “I-I was. In a pathetic sort of way, like I said. He wanted me.”

Why, he couldn’t think of.

But his father’s satisfied growl, and their beating hearts brushing against each other as they stormed off into the murderous night – like a thundercloud, cradling a baby made of lightning – suggested truth.

“Did he ever want you again?”

“Pff, no.” A stiff laugh.

“So… Does hugging make you feel vulnerable?”

“…Answering that question makes me feel even more so. But yes.”

“Is it a good kind of vulnerability?”

Seb was quiet.

For as long as he could be, before it got awkward.

Then he pulled away, straightened his suit until any trace of wrinkling was gone, and answered, trying to be quieter than quietness itself. “Maybe.”

They were done.

But this time, he felt genuine.

And from the wide, toothy grin Hugo gave him, it was visible from the outside. “I’m proud of you, bud.”

Score.

They studied each other’s faces, eyes glimmering with unspoken agreement.

“But it’s too strange to have a therapy session with a telepathic gunchild. I never signed up for this,” Seb piped up, voice cracking, and made as if to turn on his heel and walk away. “I’m emotionally distraught now.”

Hugo laughed, and ruffled his brother’s hair, which rewarded him with a high-pitched squawk. “Never mind that, kid.”

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Whaley.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Karissa Chmil
          @karissa-chmil
            • Total Posts: 96

Eyy, this is so exciting, @godlyfantasy12! *throws confetti* Congrats on jumping into this! (Editors are amazing. 😁)

I’m currently finishing up line edits on a novella called Buried Stars, and chapter six is throwing me a bit. If you have time, I’d love it if you could look at some of the phrasing!

I’ll drop the link below, but relevant information so that you know what’s going on: Their world is entirely underground with rudimentary inventions, and Antonio is the son of a herald (think fancy mail-men) and just delivered a message for his father that resulted in a violent crack-down from the authoritian government. After he ran as far away as he could, a girl about his age found him in an empty tunnel and just mouthed the words “Do you know how to read?” (literacy and all books are severely restricted in the empire).

Whew. That was a lot. 😂 No worries if you can’t get to this, but thanks for offering! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qF_VdRzMnTzziKzHGVXAmXkw3uYmfl1GE8WBjGAovg8/edit?usp=sharing

(And @whalekeeper those character are so sweet. 😍)

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Whaley
            @whalekeeper

@karissa-chmil

Aw, thank you for the compliment! I read your chapter and the girl felt so alive in my mind. 😊

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12

@karissa-chmil @whalekeeper ah thank y’all! Just so you know, I am still very knew at this so… 😅 but I will do my best!!

As for what books I have, I haven’t started reading them yet but I have a couple- and a few more on my Christmas list lol. I’ll have to get u the names of them later

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                @godlyfantasy12

@whalekeeper are you wanting any specific edit?

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                  #ProtectMarcel
                  #ProtectSeb

Whaley
                  @whalekeeper

@godlyfantasy12

Ofc!!

Probably just a structural kind of editing, to see how it flows and if anything feels off. 😊

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >