Anyone else feeling tired and unworthy?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Anyone else feeling tired and unworthy?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

Yup, that title is my mood. *very awkward grin* I am over here dying right now and not even meaning to be dramatic XD

I absolutely LOVE my story. I have never felt more strongly, or been more passionate, about anything in my life. I love writing about St. Paul because he’s the one person who has done the most to change my life apart from Jesus. But it’s just SO. INSANELY. HARD. Can someone wave a magic wand and make writing easier???!!! Every day I have to force myself to sit down and I procrastinate for the longest time before writing a word. When I do write, I feel sluggish and bored and like my work is awful. Sometimes I even think, Maybe I’ll just move on to another story idea, ’cause this isn’t working out. But I can’t bring myself to do that, because this story has my heart prisoner (yes, I’ll acknowledge the drama of THAT statement), and I HAVE to write it no matter what. Every moment not getting anything done is agony, but so is every moment when I type the words oh so slowly.

The truth is I feel so discouraged and so unworthy to write this beautiful story. Like I said, no one has changed my life more than St. Paul, other than Jesus himself. And I am such a flawed and broken writer who doesn’t portray the miracle and power and heartbreak of Paul’s story the way it deserves. It would break my heart to give up and I know I can never do that even if it never gets published, but I just hate that I’m such a failure at this.

Thanks to anyone who read that. You are sincerely appreciated, especially since I feel guilty for always asking questions like these about motivation. 💗

Alexa Autorski
      @writerlexi1216
        • Total Posts: 1011

@joy-caroline

You are definitely not alone in this struggle, let me assure you. I’ve had those moments of feeling down about myself or my writing and just getting tired and pushing myself to write too hard in general.

I know what it’s like to have a burning desire to write that oh-so-special book, but when you sit down to try, your head goes blank, you start feeling self-conscious, and then you compare your story to other people’s stories and then really feel bad. 

But that’s okay to feel like that! It’s okay to feel like you’re in a writing rut, and it’s okay to take that long, refreshing break that, let’s face it, we all need once in a while. Your brain needs rest and time to recharge, so don’t feel bad about stepping away for a little while and giving yourself that time.

Feeling sluggish and even depressed about writing is something I’ve acquired in my Writing Journey, and let me tell you, it isn’t fun. But maybe try looking at things from a new perspective? Or try to remind yourself of what led you to writing this specific book in the first place.

To be honest, I’m kind of feeling that way with my own book. “Is it good enough?” “Am I a good writer?” “Will people ever like the things I write?”  These are thoughts that go through my head like clockwork, so I can totally understand how your feeling.

But just the fact that you aren’t giving up on your story is really great! And you sound very passionate about it, which is a positive. You are a good writer, not a failure, and even if the words aren’t coming right now, they will. I know I’ve had my share of down-days, and more often than not I compare my writing with other people’s, get bored with it, or wonder if my writing style is weird. Don’t do that. Tell yourself that you’re a great writer. You’re writing this book for a reason, and that’s special to God.

But you have to remind yourself that God gave you this idea because He knows that you’re exactly the person who needs to write this story. No one else can write it like you do. He is in control, and He’ll help you. Maybe give yourself a little time to recharge, and by the time you come back, your brain will be chock-full of new ideas.

*Another tip that helps me stay positive with writing is looking up positive quotes about writing. Here’s one: “Don’t forget–no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12
          • Total Posts: 6645

@joy-caroline

Im pretty sure almost every writer goes thru this (and if u don’t WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?!) trust me I’ve been here and sometimes am here XD.

So I will admit sometimes it is good to take a break from it (even tho I sometimes dislike the thought of it) or maybe step back and re-outline from what u already have, pray about it, etc.

but listen……what I have seen if ur little bits of writing so far that u post on here u seem to be an INCREDIBLE WRITER!!

Listen…..my first draft rn is not very good. In my opinion. Sometimes I wish I could just look at the first draft of a book I really like so I can see where it came from and give myself confidence.

and if u need me to post a segment from my first draft, to encourage u because of how bad it may be (hopefully it’s not horribly bad lol!) I can 😂

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m
            • Total Posts: 1242

@joy-caroline

You know, if I didn’t double-check to make sure it was you who wrote that question, I would have sworn that I did. And it seems like every other writer that I’ve ever met goes through the very same thing.

But in my own experience, 25% of my writing life is gathering ideas and actually writing (willing or not). The other 75% is being passionate about my stories, but being attacked by Writers Block, feeling like I’ll either goof it up or that I ought to start a new project. But that’s another thing about writers, we (not just you) always seem to want to start a new project while we are already working on one.
            Like Ernest Hemingway said, “the hardest part of writing a novel, is finishing it.” Yeah, that kind of sums up my ‘manuscripts’.

Because speaking from experience. I love my WIP more than all my other writing and it has my heart behind bars too, I love my characters as if they were real, I love the world that I’m writing it in and I love the opportunity to write for God. But (I’ve probably said this before, I know) after three years from the point I started, my story still has no plot. I’m still stuck inside my first draft and I feel like maybe I should write another WIP and come back to it.
            Which is exactly what I did. I started a story about a time traveler (and it was a good idea in general) but when I got deeper into it, it was every bit as hard as my first WIP.
            So I went back to TSW and started working (and staring at the screen as visions of Writers Block and erasers danced in my head) and worked on other aspects of the novel. (I still have no plot). But there are innumerable quotes about how not to give up on your project because it’s hard, the next will be just as hard. Kind of like climbing a mountain. It’s the struggle of a lifetime, but the result is worth it.

I think we are all flawed and broken writers in a sense because we are all human. But you are worthy of writing TAS and The Anointed, otherwise, God would have given them to other writers.

Second off, the only way to fail at writing is by giving up writing.

“You don’t have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great.” -Les Brown.

“The desire to write was planted within you for a reason.” -Unknown.

And same with me, I have to write and yet, on the other hand, it seems impossible to write. Sometimes it helps to write the ending of your story first, so you have your destination in sight and you have something to guide your plot by.
            KP, in their ‘encouragement’  category, has a lot of awesome articles too.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help in some small way. Keep writing! You can do it! 😀

Issabelle Perry
            @issawriter7
              • Total Posts: 976

@joy-caroline

Girl, I TOTALLY 100% UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU’RE FEELING!!!!!!!! I have these same thoughts EVERY. SINGLE. DAY! I feel like Into the Lamp is ridiculous and I’m wasting my time trying to write it. That it’s awful and no matter how much I edit or fix it, it’s never gonna be anything worth reading. Much less publish! I literally have no hope with this story and feel like I’m staring down a brick wall right now. I’ve honestly been debating just giving up on publishing this story and all, BUT your story is BEAUTIFUL and you have sooo much talent!!!! YOUR STORY IS ALREADY SUPER INCREDIBLE!! And girl you CAN DO THIS! I’m not saying that just to be saying it. I’m saying it because I BELIEVE IN YOU!!! And I believe in God!!! YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!!!! If anyone’s a failure, it’s gonna have to be me for reasons I’m not really gonna state! Just trust me on this one. Girl, I literally have every flaw a writer could have!!! BUT YOU ARE AMAZING!!! YOU’RE STORY IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! I truly understand these thoughts because all of us feel it!! DON’T GIVE UP!!!! KEEP PRESSING FORWARD!!!! KEEP WRITING!!!!! Take it one word, one sentence, one chapter at a time!!! Hang in there, ’cause this story deserves to be published!! I’ve already got a good spot on my bookshelf waiting for it!!!! <33 <33 Love you!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
              TeenWritersNook.com

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@joy-caroline I’m sure everyone feels this way! You’re not alone!

What I would recommend is probably taking a break! Explore some of your other interests or hobbies. I remember two years ago after NaNoWriMo I didn’t write anything for four months straight. We all need breaks. I’ll probably overwork myself at some point, but you know. If you’re feeling extremely discouraged then that is probably your body telling you to stop and rest and renew yourself.

I really admire people who love their stories! I think I too love my stories somewhere deep inside, but personally, I don’t feel as emotionally invested in them…? Maybe because I keep bouncing back and forth between multiple projects…but anyway, maybe I’ve said this before, but I do recommend working on more than one thing at once, be it a short story or a novella or even another novel. If you’re feeling unconfident in your writing skills, perhaps you can practice for a few months on other small projects, and then return to polish up your main project. That’s just a suggestion, though.

Ahh, praying everything goes well for you!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

Anonymous

@writerlexi1216

Oh, thank you so much for all of this! I compare my books to others’ books so often. And you don’t know how much encouragement it gives me that you ask yourself the same questions. There are times when I just feel so ashamed after reading over what I wrote because it’s just like, “Ugh, how could I have written that? Cringe.” I’ll try to keep in mind what you said about my book being special enough to God that he’d want to help. Maybe I need to dedicate some time to prayer about this.

Thank you so much, again. This really did help, and I’m so grateful for the beautiful advice and kind words!

Anonymous

@godlyfantasy12

Aww, thank you so much!!! I don’t see myself as an incredible writer, so it’s really touching to hear that someone else feels that way. I think you’re right, it’s probably time for me to just spend a couple days in a lot of prayer for this project.

You know, while coming on here I saw the topic you made for discouragement about first drafts. I’ll hop on there and share a little!

Anonymous

@abigail-m

You don’t know how much relief that just gave me 😂 It’s so refreshing to hear that someone else feels the same discouragement I do, and that I’m not alone.

I completely relate to everything you’re saying. And every time I consider moving away from TAS and The Anointed, I remember that a shiny new idea may look appealing right now but as soon as I get past the first page I’ll realize it would be just as hard to write as the two novels I’m really passionate about and have to finish. (Goodness, that was a mouthful.)

I totally get it, I am just in love with this story and know I have to write it. Thank you so much! I never thought much about God giving my books to another writer if he thought I was unworthy. I guess his putting these stories on my heart means he believes I can do it.

THANK YOU for those quotes!!! I know my dad would really like the last one. The only fiction books he ever reads are Louis L’Amour. 😂

Alexa Autorski
                      @writerlexi1216
                        • Total Posts: 1011

@joy-caroline

Awww, don’t mention it! I’m happy to know that my advice helped (and you’re totally not alone)! We’re all here to help each other out! 🙂

Anonymous

@issawriter7

Oh my goodness, thank you SO MUCH for all of this. I am just drowning in the encouragement right now. I will try to remember that spot in your bookshelf, because I want it to be filled as soon as possible 😂

Totally relate. So often I think my two novels are just ridiculous and I’m in over my head. Thank you for all the kind words and for all the BELIEF in this reply!

Love you and your writing, too! Let me just say, don’t get discouraged with your work either! I love what I have read so far of Into the Lamp!

Anonymous

@writerlexi1216

Thank you! I’m beginning to see this is a really encouraging community. 😀

Anonymous

@devastate-lasting

Thank you for all the advice! I do really enjoy writing short stories and poems, so maybe I should do more of those in my free time. And do some more drawing. I love that as well but have had next to no time lately. Maybe I should even try submitting my smaller works to a Christian magazine. My parents are subscribed to a couple Adventist magazines that accept submissions, so I might look into those!

Thank you! 💗

Abigail.M.
                              @abigail-m
                                • Total Posts: 1242

@joy-caroline

You’re definitely not alone. I’m so glad I could help:)

Jenna Terese
                                @jenwriter17
                                  • Total Posts: 2522

@joy-caroline I can totally understand that. But the awesome thing is, the more broken we are/feel, the more God can step in to fill in for our shortcomings. You don’t have to feel the overwhelming pressure, because if you ask God to guide you and your words and help you do your best with this story, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that He’s got you. It’s hard, but trust Him to guide you on this story’s journey. If this is a story you are extremely passionate about, then God wants you to write it! He must have you writing it for a reason, so trust He’ll make a way. 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                                  www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >