Any Questions About Weapons or Battle

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Any Questions About Weapons or Battle

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Power
    @power
      • Total Posts: 292

So this is probably a guy thing, (and most of y’all not being one are rolling your eyes at me) but does anyone have any questions about weapons, or battle tactics? I love talking about this stuff and have put extensive study into melee weapons in particular. (Extensive study as in, if you give me the weapon I could probably tell you how and when it should be used or should not be used, and what weapons it works well with… of course I am probably setting myself up for embarrassment when I can’t answer a question, but oh well.) So any questions? If not I can tell you why pirates used cutlasses or why a lightsaber is a terrible weapon. (Or you could just look it up on your own.)

p.s. If for some reason I never get back to you just know that I probably got tired of writing and it might take me a couple weeks to get back into the stream of things… as long as there aren’t piranhas in the stream.

You will love what you spend time with.

Power
      @power

p.p.s Or it could be because I have found an amazing book series and am just ignoring you at present. Have to keep our priorities in line, right?

Natalie C.
        @nanisnook
          • Total Posts: 154

@power

Totally not just a guy thing. I’m a girl, and I love weapons, like to the point that it scares my friends, and my boyfriend gave me a knife that he made as a gift. I have questions about this all the time, so I will definitely be back here.

First question. Why is a lightsaber a terrible weapon?

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Natalie C.
          @nanisnook

@power

And yeah, you’re definitely keeping your priorities straight. Books are most important.

(p.s. I don’t scare my friends by threatening them with weapons or anything. I just find them so cool that it freaks my friends out a little)

Trahia the Minstrel
            @trahia-the-minstrel
              • Total Posts: 193

@power

Since you’re offering …😁😉

How could a teenage girl with an abundance of knives beat a teenage boy with a sword and shield? This is important for a climax of mine, but I want it to be realistic.

Also, do you watch Shadiversity? The comment about the lightsabers made me wonder …

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
              That’s my wish to create.

Power
              @power

@nanisnook Hmmm… I suppose that if you are as interested by the tools of defense and destruction as you say you are, my previous hypothesis must be incorrect.

Why is a lightsaber a terrible weapon?

Well, forgetting the fact that if you accidentally touched yourself with your blade you could easily be killed or maimed, the big problem is that the blade itself is made out of plasma (the fourth state of matter), and scientifically speaking, when a plasma blade hits another plasma blade they explode. This means that anyone who decided to use a lightsaber would very quickly end up with only three limbs if not worse.

Natalie C.
                @nanisnook

@power

Huh, I didn’t know that. Well now I’m sad about Star Wars. Thanks for the answer though.

Natalie C.
                  @nanisnook

@trahia-the-minstrel

Now I want to read your climax. Sounds cool!

Trahia the Minstrel
                    @trahia-the-minstrel

@nanisnook

Thanks! I don’t think we’ve met before, but I really love your cover picture. That’s such a cute art style!

Natalie C.
                      @nanisnook

@trahia-the-minstrel

Thanks! My friend drew it because I can’t draw to save my life haha.

Power
                        @power

@trahia-the-minstrel

One of the key factors in a fight is where the encounter takes place. (You might have more options in the woods than you would have in a hallway). If the option is available, the best thing to do is running away. That is, unless you know you can’t outrun, out maneuver, or hide (works well at night) from the individual chasing you. In which case you shouldn’t wear yourself out, but just find suitable fighting grounds. (If she is a teen girl she may be able to move quicker than the guy through dense woods or tight spaces because she’s smaller.) Fighting from a high place (roof, tree, top of ledge) is usually a good tactic because your enemy has to work to get to you, which means his guard goes down (and shield)… that is, if he decides to actually come after you in the first place, and not bombard you with “artillery”. (A thrown rock can do a lot of damage) (A hard to reach place can become a death trap because it can also be hard to retreat from.)

To use a knife effectively you must be very close in proximity to your enemy, (by charging at him and hoping that you can miraculously block his sword and not get punched by his shield, or hiding and then dishonorably stabbing him in the back when he passes by.)  or very very good at throwing a knife. (Or have a whole chopping block of them at hand in which case you just might hit him with one… if you could get him to ditch his shield and not hit your flying blades out of the air with his sword. Suprise or overwhelm.) (Throwing a knife isn’t a really good decision because once you throw it, you lose it, and it can now be used against you by whoever grabs it.)

I am going to throw in some quotes from Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War” that might help.

“Attack him when he is unprepared, appear when you are not expected” “Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.” ”If your opponent is of choleric temper (easily moved to unreasonable anger), seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.” “To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. That is, of course by a mistake on the enemy’s part.” and finally “ “Hence, though an obstinate fight may be made by a small force, in the end it must be captured by the large force”

There really isn’t a definite answer to your question because there are a lot of things you have to take into consideration like, how well trained are the combatants, how smart are they, are either one of them descent at problem solving, how fit are each of them, fears, anger, and much more. But whatever you choose remember to be creative with it. A reader might enjoy reading about a fight, but they really enjoy it when the hero trips the bad guy with a rope, or in the middle of the fight the tree limb the hero is standing on breaks. It is these thing that make the story memorable.

So hopeful something in that helped, and you weren’t just bored to death.

Power
                          @power

@trahia-the-minstrel No, I have not watched Shadiversity. What is it?

Trahia the Minstrel
                            @trahia-the-minstrel

@power

I definitely wasn’t bored! I love hearing about that kind of thing. If it helps, my fight scene is in a wedding hall with lots of pillars and rather in the roof. It’s single combat. The girl is agile, fit, and well-trained in knife fighting; and the boy is also fit, but can’t move as fast because he’s not as good at acrobatics and athletics as the girl. He’s also well-trained in sword and shield. They’re both fighting to kill. However, the boy is wearing ceremonial armour, but has no helmet. The girl isn’t armoured at all, and she has throwing knives as well as ordinary knives.

Shadirversity is a YouTube channel by a guy called Shad who knows a lot about weapons, especially medieval and fantasy ones. I find his channel quite educational — and really helpful for weapons stuff.

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h
                                • Total Posts: 3875

Ooh! Honestly, I like battle scenes, and I’m a girl. It has to be a good fight scene or battle though. I think it’s a consequence of having a 10-year-old, Halo-obsessed brother, and watching a ton of Marvel (actually, like, four movies) and Star Wars (I’ve seen all of the movies and all five of the major shows.)

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >