Any other Signposters here?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Any other Signposters here?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jayna Baas
    @booksbyjayna
      • Total Posts: 93

Hello, all, I’m just curious if there are any other writers here who are aficionados of James Scott Bell’s Fourteen Signposts method of plotting? It’s saved my writerly sanity, and I’m wondering if it has helped others. I’ll tag a few of you whom I’ve already said hello to, but everyone please feel free to reply.

@freedomwriter76 @felicity @lightoverdarkness6 @mineralizedwritings

​Jayna Baas
      Christian Author/Editor
      www.booksbyjayna.com

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2803

@booksbyjayna

I have never heard of it! XD I might look into it if I hit a rough spot. For now, the controlled chaos of my writing sketchbook seems to do it. I like the blank pages cuz I can make maps, write random stuffs, and make lists all in the same place.

Ok, that’s outlining not plotting 😂 I suppose I will stop before the rant begins. XD

へびは かっこいい です!

Jayna Baas
        @booksbyjayna

I have never heard of it! XD I might look into it if I hit a rough spot.[…]

@mineralizedwritings
          , I guess outlining and plotting are two sides of the same coin. Or perhaps not? If you feel a rant coming on, I won’t stop you. Plotting has always been a challenge for me, so I’m just happy to have found something that works.

​Jayna Baas
          Christian Author/Editor
          www.booksbyjayna.com

Felicity
          @felicity
            • Total Posts: 811

@booksbyjayna

I have never heard of that, but then again, I’m a pantser and just recently began looking into plotting methods.

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Jayna Baas
            @booksbyjayna

I have never heard of that, but then again, I’m a pantser and just recently began looking into plotting methods.

I’m a pantser too, or at least a very, very minimal plotter. I finally gave this a go when I was desperate for help with a story that was getting way out of hand. I love James Scott Bell’s methods because they work for pantsers, plotters, and “tweeners.” If you’re looking for some plotting help, I highly recommend the Fourteen Signposts. I can give a brief rundown here, or you can get all the details in Bell’s book Super Structure.

I was trying to tag the people I’d already met here, but I missed a lot. @esther-c and @keilah-h to name a couple. Sorry about that, ladies—feel free to jump in.

​Jayna Baas
              Christian Author/Editor
              www.booksbyjayna.com

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 3875

@booksbyjayna Never heard of it, but then again, I might outline but I never plot. If I plot, I can’t write it. It’s kinda the way I am…..

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Jayna Baas
                @booksbyjayna

Never heard of it, but then again, I might outline but I never plot. If I plot, I can’t write it. It’s kinda the way I am…..

@keilah-h
                  , @mineralizedwritings, okay, now I’m confused. I was not aware that there was any significant difference between outlining and plotting. Plotting is what you do to create an outline. Outlining is recording the plotting you’ve done. It’s like planning the things you have to do today and then making a to-do list. I’m guessing your definitions are different?

​Jayna Baas
                  Christian Author/Editor
                  www.booksbyjayna.com

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings
                    • Total Posts: 2803

@booksbyjayna

For me, plotting is filling out how my character motivations/themes/goals will come to be (what needs to be shown to the reader when, and what should be left for latter?), and outlining is deciding exactly what events come about to show them, and trying to connect them in a orderly fashion.

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h

@mineralizedwritings Ha, it’s the opposite for me. Sorry for confusing you @booksbyjayna!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Jayna Baas
                      @booksbyjayna

Ha, it’s the opposite for me.[…]

@mineralizedwritings
                        , @keilah-h, well, no wonder I’m confused! I use the term plotting to cover both of those aspects and use outlining for the act of writing out my plot for future reference. I think that’s common to most books about writing. For instance, James Scott Bell and other writing instructors include character development, themes, etc. in the plotting process (Signpost Scene #7 in the Fourteen Signposts is the “Mirror Moment,” which is tied deeply to character growth). Or they’ll talk about writers who create 40-page outlines of their plot points. Just giving you a heads-up so you don’t get confused by advice you may run across.

​Jayna Baas
                        Christian Author/Editor
                        www.booksbyjayna.com

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@booksbyjayna Ah ok.

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 8156

@booksbyjayna. I have HEARD of it (through you, I’m pretty sure…) but I still haven’t used it or researched into it…

I’d probably have to say I’m someone who kind of outlines when events will happen but hasn’t “plotted” much…so I’m probably a lot like @mineralizedwritings when it comes to that. 😅

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3221

@booksbyjayna

I’ve never heard of that before! Sounds interesting.

I call myself a plantser. (Plotter/pantser) I used to be a pantser, but found out that didn’t work for me, so I am now a plantser. I write out a short summary for each chapter and follow that as my outline. But I let it change as I write. For example, the last half or maybe more the last third of my book was new stuff to me. I didn’t know that was going to happen. So I really like plotting/outlining that way.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Jayna Baas
                              @booksbyjayna

I have HEARD of it (through you, I’m pretty sure…)

@freedomwriter76 I did a newsletter feature on it once, so yes, you probably heard about it from me. It’s one of my favorite subjects. 🙂

​Jayna Baas
                                Christian Author/Editor
                                www.booksbyjayna.com

Jayna Baas
                                @booksbyjayna

I’ve never heard of that before! Sounds interesting. I call myself a plantser[…]

@esther-c
                                  I love your word! I’ve also heard that called a tweener—“between” a plotter and pantser. I fall into that category as well. I used to just write one-line summaries for each chapter to keep track of where I was going, but my WIP got so unwieldy I needed something to help me structure it better. James Scott Bell’s method basically gives you fourteen types of scenes to build your story around. The structure is extremely flexible, which I love. I have my “Final Battle” scene (Signpost #13) on the list, but exactly what happens in it keeps changing!

​Jayna Baas
                                  Christian Author/Editor
                                  www.booksbyjayna.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >