Another End of Year Book Party

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Another End of Year Book Party

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Erica
    @starofthenorth
      • Total Posts: 199

I believe last year there was a topic of the week for discussing the books we’ve all read this year. I really  looked forward to being able to be a part of it (I made a list of every book I read this year!) but seeing how it’s the last day of 2022 (THAT was weird to say!!) and I don’t think anyone’s doing topic of the weeks (topics of the week?) right now . . .

So what have you read this year?

My list is looonnnggg. Sorry.

@mineralizedwritings
      @madelyn @whalekeeper @folith-feolin @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @lightoverdarkness6 @booksandbeakers @diving-into-the-future @sarafini @esther-c  @everyoneandanyoneelse

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Erica
      @starofthenorth

Here goes.

The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander

The Journal Is Important, by Emily Bergren

Kingdom’s Dawn, by Chuck Black

Kingdom’s Hope, by Chuck Black

Kingdom’s Edge, by Chuck Black

Kingdom’s Call, by Chuck Black

Kingdom’s Quest, by Chuck Black

Kingdom’s Reign, by Chuck Black

A Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Chosen, by Ted Dekker

The Gifted, by Matthew Dickerson

The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Arthur Conan Doyle

“A Case of Identity,” by Arthur Conan Doyle

“The Case of the Dancing Men” by Arthur Conan Doyle

The City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau

The Breadwinner, by Deborah Ellis

Parvana’s Journey, by Deborah Ellis

The Black Stallion, by Walter Farley

The Ruins of Gorlan, by John Flanagan

The Burning Bridge, by John Flanagan

The Icebound Land, by John Flanagan

The Battle for Skandia, by John Flanagan

The Sorcerer of the North, by John Flanagan

The Siege of Macindaw, by John Flanagan

Erak’s Ransom, by John Flanagan

The Kings of Clonmel, by John Flanagan

Halt’s Peril, by John Flanagan

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja, by John Flanagan

The Lost Stories, by John Flanagan

The Royal Ranger, by John Flanagan

The Red Fox Clan, by John Flanagan

Duel At Araluen, by John Flanagan

The Missing Prince, by John Flanagan

Escape From Falaise, by John Flanagan

The Tournament at Gorlan, by John Flanagan

The Battle of Hackham Heath, by John Flanagan

The Princess Bride, by William Goldman

Brightly of the Grand Canyon, by Marguerite Henry

Various stories by O. Henry

Letters from Rifka, by Karen Hesse

The Prisoner of Zenda, by Anthony Hope

Across Five Aprils, by Irene Hunt

Parts of The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling

The Capture, by Kathryn Lasky

The Journey, by Kathryn Lasky

The Rescue, by Kathryn Lasky

Lone Wolf, by Kathryn Lasky

The Call of the Wild, by Jack London

Betsy and the Great World, by Maud Hart Lovelace

Betsy’s Wedding, by Maud Hart Lovelace

Emily of Deep Valley, by Maud Hart Lovelace

Chosen Ones, by Alister McGrath

Flight of the Outcasts, by Alister McGrath

The Keeper of the Lost Cities, by Shannon Messenger

Exile, by Shannon Messenger

Everblaze, by Shannon Messenger

Little Britches, by Ralph Moody

The Squire’s Tale, by Gerald Morris

The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady, by Gerald Morris

The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf, by Gerald Morris

The False Prince, by Jennifer A. Nielson

Behind Rebel Lines, by Seymour Reit

Heartless, by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson

Freckles, by Gene Stratton-Porter

A Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton-Porter

The Silver Branch, by Rosemary Sutcliff

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, by Mildred D. Taylor

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, by Mark Twain

The Angel on the Square, by Gloria Whelan

The Impossible Journey, by Gloria Whelan

The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, by Maryrose Wood

Erica
        @starofthenorth

It undid the italics when I pasted it into the KP box. 🙂😳

My favorite?

Maybe The Gifted.

Least favorite?

The books by Alister McGrath.

What do I want to read next year?

The rest of Matthew Dickerson’s trilogy. Sadly, our library doesn’t have any copies. Other than that, just plenty of books to keep me from going crazy.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Erica.

Erica
          @starofthenorth

Sorry, I meant to say this but it deleted it.

What was your favorite book?

Least favorite?

What books do you want to read in 2023?

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings
              • Total Posts: 2794

@starofthenorth

Great books there! I haven’t heard of most of them! The city of Ember is a all time favorite for me though. I think it’s time for a reread of that one XD

I see you have some of the ascension (or was it ascendance? Idk, the one with false prince in it.) series, how do you like it? I’m considering reading it, I’ve heard others say it’s good.

And wow, end of 2022? That is extremely weird. Wasn’t it just 2020 and covid yesterday? XD

Here’s my read list, of what I can remember.

Haikyuu,  by huruichi Furedate (Totally butchered his name)

Volumes

32,33 (Inarizaki vs. Karasuno! Great game btw)

,34,35,36,37, (Karasuno vs. Nekoma! Man, this one was intense 😂 didn’t know highschool volleyball could have me this invested)

38, (Fukorodoni vs. Mujinazaka, some great character development! One of my fav characters arc was completed in this book)

39,40,41,42, (Kurasuno vs. Kamomedai, this was sad. However I really appreciate a book not making the mc’s win everything, loss is necessary for learning. 40 is probobly one of my favorite volumes! It has one of my fav character’s backstories.)

43,44,45 (Timeskip arc, nice to see where the characters ended up, the ending was emotional for me XD)

I did not read them in that order though lol. I started at book 45 because my sister owned it XD

(Btw this book series had a huge influence on my art. I spent a long time making fanart for it, and it’s how my style for drawing people came to look a bit manga-ish at times.)

Wingfeather saga:

Book 1: Read because I was so bored and it was available. Put it down after 4th way through, picked it up later though.

Book 2: Ok I actually was attached to the characters now, and wow this book was amazing.

Book 3 and 4: read these almost one after another, book 4 ending was amazing, and so emotional for me. I cried lol.

Wingfeather tales: this book was very good. It’s a collection  of tales from the wingfeather saga world, each written by a different author. They each have there own feel, but I’ll talk about my favorite here.

One of these was about parents who’s daughter has been taken by the black carriage. This author went with a much darker and real tine then much of the series, and it felt lot more real, almost like historical fiction. The injuries are described, and you feel the horror of it. The conflict between the mom and dad is really bad, because the dad didn’t try to stop them, and prevented the mom from trying. He leaves in search of vengeance, (wife doesn’t want him back until he gets it) he wanders for a long time, barely taking care of himself, until he is found my Armulyn the Bard. Brought to slightly better health, he keeps going, and eventually find a man who begs him to take his kids, because the fangs are in his town. I’m forgetting stuff and might be mixing stories, but at the end he comes back a long time later, the daughter is back home and the wife is so excited to see him.

The green ember:

Read book 1 as an audio-book, although it wasn’t the most amazing thing, and I didn’t really like the beginning, the themes were great. Bitterness is dangerous and leads to foolish behavior, I feel like that’s what I got from it.

I reread some of the city of ember series, but quickly got bored, I don’t really like the later books.

The book thief:

I read this in 6th grade, and it made my eyes water in class 🤣. I reread it this year, it was just as good, and being older, I got a lot more out of it. I just understood a bit more about the world.

The silver chair:

I decided it was time to finish the series! This one was really good.

Prince Caspian: Liked this one too!

The horse and his boy: Loved this book! I should reread sometime.

The magicians nephew: eh, not my favorite.

wonder: This book is SOO GOOD! I know it’s probobly the genre a lot of you read, but man it’s good. I read it in 5th grade when it was a new book and all the rage, I reread it this year.

Another book, I don’t have the title though. It was womens diaries from moving west during the gold rush. Amazing accounts, I loved it and got a much better feel for life on the road. Something that stood out to me was one diary of a girl about 16, and it basically said her sister was getting married, and a boy about her age she knew ask her if she wanted to get married to. 😂 wow. Now that’s different.

Ok so that’s all I can remember! I’m keeping a list this year. I got lucky that my ebook app had a list of all my borrows. Thanks for the great topic!

What was your favorite book?

I’m doing too here, because manga is just different from regular books.

The book thief!

Haikyuu vol 43 (ok but 45 has a special place in my heart)

Least favorite?

Ack…the people of sparks. I don’t even remember what happened. I just really have a distaste for the city of ember sequels.

What books do you want to read in 2023?

False prince! Maybe the rest of the series if I like it too. I’m not sure tbh, I might read more of green ember.

What about you? Next years books, favorites and least favorites?

へびは かっこいい です!

Power
              @power
                • Total Posts: 292

Lets see, what literary material have me, myself, and I spent many hours of this past year devouring? First off we (me, myself and I) are more into audiobooks than regulate paper, ink, and pizza stains which we call book. So, enclosed below (or should it be disclosed?) is a vast list of book/audiobooks. Be amazed and enthralled at my bookish cultivation, academution, and knowledgeability. Fue fah!

1. Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix
                2. Palace of Mirrors also by the above mentioned author (I might not have finish this book. Don’t remember.)
                3. Ogre Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
                4. Comstock Lod by Louis L’Amour (I would say this is one of the ultimate westerns.)
                5. Sackett by Louis L’Amour (Maybe I finished this???)
                6. The Rose Legacy, The Queen’s Secret Jessica Day George (Wouldn’t recommend this series, at least for guys.)
                7. Otis Spofford Beverly Cleary (Tehehehoho!!)
                8. Showdown on the Hogback Louis L’Amour
                9. The Giving Tree (😢)
                10. The Dragons Blood (Book 6 of the Explorer Academy Series) Trudi Trueit (I’ve enjoyed this series)
                11. Blackrat’s Treasure Geronimo Stilton (meh)
                12. The Tiger’s Nest (Book 5 of the Explorer Academy Series) Trudi Trueit (Yes, I read them out of order.)
                13. Quiet a few peanuts comic book, and Who Would Win?s
                14. Watership Down Richard Adams (I will admit that we (me, myself and I) were hesitant to read this book, but it was really good)
                15. Judy Moody Goes to College Megan McDonald (Reliving to good old days)
                16. Lines of Courage Jennifer a. Nielsen
                17. Shipwreck
                18. Survival 
                19. Escape all written by Gordon Korman
                20. The LEGO adventure book, volumes 2 & 3 Megan H. Rothrock
                21. Restart 
                22. Unplugged 
                23. The Unteachable
                24. Linked all by Gordon Korman again
                25. Henry and the Paper Route Beverly Cleary (Not as good as some of the later books in the series.)
                26. Pages and Co. Series books 1 & first part of 2 Anna James (Neat book idea, but I didn’t like how they kept breaking rules in book 2)
                27. Wildfire Rodman Philbrick (meh)
                28. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Judi Barrett
                29. Pickles to Pittsburgh Judi Barrett
                30. The Fellowship of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien
                31.  The Stern Chase John Flanagan (Bravo Mr. Flanagan! The previous 2 books in the Brotherband Chronicles were blah! But, you made a come back! Someone give him a gold star!) @starofthenorth
                32. In Freedom’s Cause G.A. Henty (THIS BOOK WAS AWSOME!!! I may be a tad bias, since my moms maiden name is Cunningham 😉)
                33. Wulf the Saxon G.A. Henty (It was okay.)
                34. One of the 28th – a Tale of Waterloo G.A. Henty (This made up for Wulf the Saxon!)
                35. Captain Bayley’s Heir: A Tale of the Gold Fields of California G.A. Henty (It was okay, but kinda boring at times.)
                36. The Book on Prayer Ken Gurley (This was a very good book on prayer!)
                37. Glitch Laura Martin (I don’t recommend any of this authors other books, but this one is A+!)
                38. Sense and Sensibility Jane Austen (Miss Austen is always good!)
                39. Flight 
                40. Nova
                41. Lore 
                42. Oath ( I haven’t finished this one) all by Chuck Black (The first 2 were the best. 3 and 4 were okay (And yet, something in me goes blah to this series)) @starofthenorth

And so we come to the end of our list. What think we?

What was our favorite book?

3 Way tie

• Comstock Lod
                • In Freedom’s Cause
                • Watership Down

Least Favorite

I believe there are several books that didn’t make the above list because I didn’t finish them, but of the above list I’d say The Rose Legacy or The Queen’s Secret.

Want to read

• Finish Lord of the Ring Series
                • The Forbidden Island the 7th book in the Explorer Academy series
                • Iceberg by Jennifer A. Nielson
                • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic again
                • I would like to read Gordon Korman’s Everest Series
                • Some more books by G.A. Henty would be nice
                • Something I haven’t heard from Jane Austen or perhaps I’ll try Elizabeth Glaskell
                • The rest of Jonathan Roger’s The Wilderking Trilogy if I can find it and have time.
                • S.D. Smith & J. C. Smith’s new book Jack Zulu and the Wallander’s Key
                • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Power.

You will love what you spend time with.

Esther
                @esther-c
                  • Total Posts: 3205

@starofthenorth

Man, I wish I had kept a list of all the books I had read!! I’ll have to do that this year!!

I have read a few of the books that you’ve read this year!

That I can remember off the top of my head:

Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson

(First 4 books of) The Ascendence Triology by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien

Peculiar Treasures by Robin Jones Gunn (first book in the Katie Weldon series)

I promise I have read many many more! XD When I remember them, I’ll post them!

@mineralizedwritings

You have me intrigued about these volleyball books. 🙂 They sound really interesting. Could you give me more info about them?

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@esther-c

Yes, they are very interesting! I’d love to tell you more about them!

I must preface this with a fair warning:

The Haikyuu fandom is toxic, (like most anime/manga fandoms) steer clear. I can’t even type a characters name into the google search bar without a inappropriate search suggestion coming up. If you have questions, I’m happy to answer them because it’s hard to learn more about the series without the internet.

It is rated teen. I watched seasons 1, 2, and 4 with my sister, and she screened some ‘stuff’ out for me. I didn’t miss a lot, because apparently season 3 got a bit boring anyways. The series gets cleaner as it goes on. I’m not sure why, the humor gets more innocent though. The later half of season 4 (Inarizaki vs. karasuno) is pretty clean, there is one or two scenes she screened out for me, but I’m pretty sensitive. After season 4, there’s the stuff that has yet to be animated and you can read in manga form. (books 33-45) Book 33 has a scene I like to skip, but after that it is completely clean (that I remember) until a chapter cover in book 40, then all the way to one page (I would skip that page) in book 45. 33-45 is the best stint of the series anyways, not only did the authors art get better, so did the story-line. There is a beach volleyball arc in 42-43, just y’know, people on the beach so idk depends on personal preference.

Ok, general rundown of the series:

One day, middle schooler Shoyo Hinata see’s a highscool volleyball game being played in a electronics store window. He is amazed at one player on the quart- a short second year the announcers are calling the “little giant”.  He gets past the blocker and scores points, despite his size. He’s also his teams ace (this is a thing in Japan. It’s a position given to the most reliable hitter-not including middles). Inspired, he wants to join his schools volleyball club, but they don’t have one. he plays with the girls team for fun for a bit. He is finally able to pull together 6 players for a upcoming tournament (who are volunteers) and goes to one. He faces off with Kitagawa daichi, who has a extremely talented setter. They lose, but not before Hinata swears revenge on the setter, Tobio Kageyama. Hinata wants revenge, but upon joining the highschool team the little giant went too, to his horror, discovers Kageyama is there too. Can they get past there differences for the team?

Sorry that was long! I want to say it’s a really good series, but again I haven’t watched the entire thing because my sister was nice enough to take the time to screen it for me. If you want to start later in the series, I can give you a brief rundown of what you missed.

Also the MC Hinata is super embarrassing, very immature. However, he is one of the most likable mc’s I’ve ever met, he really has a heart for people and is respectful.

へびは かっこいい です!

Erica
                    @starofthenorth

@mineralizedwritings

I see you have some of the ascension (or was it ascendance? Idk, the one with false prince in it.) series, how do you like it? I’m considering reading it, I’ve heard others say it’s good.

Yes, I read the first book. I have mixed feelings. It was definitely interesting and a page-turner, but . . . I’d have to give everything away to explain how I don’t write it. Plot holes, let’s just say.

You read a lot of good books! I need to reread the Green Ember books. Yes, Narnia! Did you have a favorite book? Mine is The Silver Chair.

@esther-c

So you read the Ascendance Trilogy too? I’m laughing about “the first four books in the trilogy.” I guess the author had lots of ideas.

@power

I am dutifully amazed and enthralled at your disclosure on your reading, including all the broken pipes, holes in the wall, foggy windows, moldy basement closets, and cockroach infestations that you have chosen to tell me about. However, you are not required to disclose any information concerning paranormal activity.

My family sold two houses this year and moved into one. My apologies.

MineralizedWritings
                      @mineralizedwritings

@starofthenorth

I started the first book, was really caught off gaurd by the first death so early XD and put it down. Might read again later.

Thanks! Most were good. My favorite was also the silver chair! I like the horse and his boy a lot, but didn’t really like the ending. Actually, it’s time for a reread, maybe it’s my favorite xD. The silver chair is defined the most tense of them all, and that breaking the chair moment was epic XD I made some fan art of that scene once, but it didn’t turn out. Maybe I’ll try again later lol.

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
                        @felicity
                          • Total Posts: 811

@arien

That’s a lot of books! Great job! 😀

I didn’t keep track of all the books I read this year but a few that stand out are:

The Blackbird Girls by Anne Blankman: This HF book tells the story of two Ukrainian girls during the nuclear fallout in Chernobyl.

Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: 19th century romance.

The Copper Scroll by Joel Rosenburg: Adult Christian mystery.

The Perfect Horse by Elizabeth Letts: Historical book about Hitler’s plans to breed a race of “perfect” horses.

Quicksand by Eugenia Bigham: Story about redemption written in the 1800’s.

Miriam by Lois Henderson: Biblical fiction about Miriam.

News of the World by Paulette Jiles: HF Western.

Escape from Warsaw by Ian Serraillien: HF about some Polish children during WWII.

The Green Ember Series by S. D. Smith: Fantasy

My favorite from this list is The Blackbird Girls and The Copper Scroll. I saw Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry on your list! Did you know that Mildred Taylor wrote a sequel? It’s called Let the Circle Be Unbroken. I really appreciate her books. I actually read the first one aloud to my brother this year. He was in such suspense because I only read a chapter or two each night before bed. 😀

My least favorite was Escape from Warsaw, but that was only because I had high expectations for it and then realized it was far below my level. So, not the books fault.

I am doing the Literary Life reading Challenge this year so I’m hoping to read a lot. Some books I want to dig into are the rest of Jane Austen’s novels, some of Charles Dickens work, and Shakespeare.

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Felicity
                          @felicity
                            • Total Posts: 811

@mineralizedwritings

I love all seven of the Chronicles of Narnia, but the Magician’s Nephew is my favorite. 🙂 I just love the idea of slipping on colorful rings and jumping into puddles. And the powerfully evil Jadis described in it helped inspire the villain in my trilogy. The Horse and His Boy was amazing too.

@power

I think you’re the first guy I’ve heard of that enjoyed reading Jane Austen. My brothers won’t touch it with a ten foot pole, even though I remind them of what Mr. Peter Leithart (author and theologian) said, “Real men read Austen.” Personally I found Miss Austen’s writing to be extremely well done: inspiring with a hint of humor. I’ve only read two of her novels but I plan to read at least three more this year. I’m curious, what exactly did you appreciate about her stories?

Also, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs is definitely one of the greatest literary successes of our time. What a classic, charming tale!

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3205

@mineralizedwritings

Thanks for the info! 🙂

@starofthenorth

Yes! I have!

I’m laughing about “the first four books in the trilogy.”

Lol Ikr?! It was originally a trilogy, but more recently she added two books to it.

I’m enjoying it so far!! I feel like I should have more to say about it, but I’m not sure if I do. 😅 So far, no content warnings. There is violence in the other books, but I’d say it’s nothing worse than what I’ve seen in Marvel. Less than that actually, and she doesn’t really go into the details of the many wounds that Jaron receives.

I do want to read the last book and the author/Jaron keeps surprising me! Once I finish the series, I may have more to say about it. I finished the fourth book a while ago, so it’s not particularly fresh in my mind. 🙂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Hobbitchild
                              @hobbitchild
                                • Total Posts: 32

@starofthenorth

Thanks for the book shout-out (The Journal Is Important)! I hope you enjoy my series. Have you read the last one yet, The Rookie Has A Mission? I haven’t even ordered my author copy yet. I’ll do that…eventually…

By the way, the journal is important. Somewhat. Just wanted to let you know. Just in case the title made it unclear. XD

MineralizedWritings
                                @mineralizedwritings

@felicity

Ok just scrolling through here randomly, YOU’VE READ THE PERFECT HORSE?

Lol I LOVED that one! I can’t believe I forgot about it, maybe I read it last year. Anyways, I was just super excited to see somebody else had read it too 😂

へびは かっこいい です!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >