Annie Adams: A Historical Fiction Novella

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques Annie Adams: A Historical Fiction Novella

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    MineralizedWritings
    @mineralizedwritings
      • Total Posts: 2794

@orielle21

I really enjoyed the read! I would change how you do the inner dialogue a bit, but that’s just my opinion.

‘Someday,’ I thought, ‘ this place will fill with people too. But it seems so long in coming.’ Back in Greensburgh there were visits to be made, parties to attend, and meetings to commence.

Because it’s first person, thoughts can be a part of narration. I don’t think you need the quote marks around the inner dialouge. For example:

Instead of saying this:

‘blue is the best color.’ I thought.

I could do one of these two:

I think blue is the best color.

or:

Blue is the best color.

If you think about it, her talking about green burg is a thought two, but it isn’t in quotations and it works just fine. Don’t feel obligated to take the advice, I just think it might flow a little better. Really enjoying your descriptions too! I feel like I’m there, and I feel a bit like Annie is a extension of myself 🤣 cuz It’s first person? Idk if other people do that with first person work.

へびは かっこいい です!

Orielle2023
      @orielle21
        • Total Posts: 173

@mineralizedwritings

Because it’s first person, thoughts can be a part of narration. I don’t think you need the quote marks around the inner dialogue.

Ahhh, I understand totally. You’re right. Hmm. Never thought of that. *thumbs up*

Really enjoying your descriptions too! I feel like I’m there, and I feel a bit like Annie is a extension of myself 🤣 cuz It’s first person? Idk if other people do that with first person work.

I am sooooo glad you feel this way. First person is actually most of what I write and the reason why is because I love to live my character’s life and experience my character’s world……for example, if my first person character just so happens to have a special friendship with a nice guy….. (Okay, that was a bit too personal. *blushes*)

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings

@orielle21

Well, since we are in the mood or oversharing!!

Lesli’s a bit like me, and Tauren well… ok they aren’t a ship, but he’s like the perfect guy-friend I have at times wished I could have XD

へびは かっこいい です!

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 76

Okay, so please forgive me if I missed this in part one… but I, as a reader, would like to know if Annie resents moving from Greensburgh. Does she not like the rough-and-tumble pioneer life? From what I’ve read, I don’t think she misses it, but you might want to clarify a little!!!!

Really great job so far!!

Orielle2023
            @orielle21

@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @starofthenorth @keilah-h @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @felicity @whalekeeper @theloonyone @loopylin @wilder-w @mineralizedwritings @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @ava-blue @folith-feolin @power @sarafini @madelyn @arien @booksandbeakers @lewilliams @everyone

Happy New Year everybody! Here’s part three. Enjoy!

After we settled around the table, Nellie ventured, “Did the Grant boys find you? They were here to see if we couldn’t come for supper tomorrow and Ma sent them to you.”

“They sure did find us,” Pa said.

“Did you agree to go?” Amanda asked next.

Pa laughed. “I sure did.”

“We will make a few things to bring along then,” Ma decided.

I had been quiet for most of the meal. But then I had an idea. “Ma, I’ll make a couple pies to bring along.”

“That would be nice,” Ma agreed.

Supper dishes as always were piled beside a bin of warm soapy water. I tied on my apron and started scrubbing vigorously. Here was Ned’s plate, always meticulously clean. Nellie also had a finicky way of scraping her plate until the very last morsel had disappeared. “So you won’t have as much to clean when you wash,” she had told me once. Amanda took her place by the growing stack of dishes.

“You seem quite chipper this evening,” she commented brightly as she began to carefully dry a sparkling clean plate. “If I had been out felling trees all day, I’d be ready to fall in bed!”

“Do something over and over and you’re sure to get used to it,” I said wearily. “Truthfully, I am very tired. But the prospect of going to the neighbor’s tomorrow, that’ll get a soul going.”

Nathan settled on the floor and started setting up a checker game. “Pa says it could snow tomorrow evening, Annie.”

“Oh?”

“He says he can feel it in his very bones,” Nathan added dryly. “I hope it holds off until after we go to Grant’s.”

I groaned. Amanda shrugged and lightly said, “If we get snowed in, we don’t have a say, do we, folks?”

“All that wood, Nate.” Noah sank down beside Nathan and a lively game began. Thoughts of buried logs disappeared for the present. I, on the other hand, had nothing to do but think as I finished the dishes and snowy thoughts didn’t disappear for me.

“Pa probably won’t risk getting caught in a storm,” I finally said aloud to Amanda.

“What won’t I do?” came Pa’s unmistakable voice.

I turned around. My hands dripped with sudsy water and I quickly dried them on my apron. “Nathan mentioned a storm and I told Amanda you probably wouldn’t risk getting caught in a snow storm tomorrow.” I waited for Pa’s response.

“Well, they say, all the complaining in the world can’t change the weather. We’ll see what happens in the morning. As for going to the Grant’s…..” and he ruffled his thick hair with a rough, hard-working hand and then stroked his beard. “As for the Grant’s….”he said again. “Annie, you’re quite right. I’d hate to be stuck in a storm. I guess we’ll have to see about that one too.” he smiled. “Don’t worry, everything will be fine.”

I gave him a reassuring smile and turned back to my work. “See, Pa always sets things to right,” Amanda comforted after Pa had left to join Ma in their room.“You know, he does have to make the big decisions for our family. I just wonder how he does it!”

“I’m just glad I’m a woman!” This time Nellie had overheard our conversation. “We don’t have to make all these huge life-changing decisions.” She took a seat at the table and drew out her knitting.

“So, picking a life partner isn’t a huge life-changing decision?” spoke up Ned in a very amused look on his face. He peaked over the top of the papers he was reading, his eyes dancing.

“Ned, you are always picking out what I miss! Alright, I agree with you that there are some huge life-changing choices to be made in everyone’s life. But you know what I mean!!” Nellie scolded.

Ned hid his smile behind the newspapers.

The Grants must have brought those with them and Adam must have let him borrow them today, I thought. Eager to see the news, Ned had started reading directly after supper.

“Our duty is to submit to Pa’s direction,” Amanda added thoughtfully. “We have plenty to work on in that regard. I am glad God designed it that way.”

“Me too,” Ned agreed, but without looking away from the paper. “Or else we’d be in a big mess. It is crazy reading about this feminist movement. I’ve never heard of the like in my life.”
              “What?” Nellie, Amanda, and I ran over to where he sat and surrounded the chair.

“Ha, I’d knew you’d come stampeding over here!” He laughed so hard that Nathan and Noah came too. “When in the history of mankind were you boys ever interested in girl’s talk?” Ned said when he had stopped laughing.

“We weren’t interested in girl’s talk as much as we were wondering what you yourself were gawking at,” came Nathan’s quick retort.

“And now for the news, please be seated, ladies and gentlemen.” Ned rose and pretended to address a crowd. Motioning for us to take seats, he stood at the head of the table. “I am here to announce this new occurrence that is awakening in our country. Please listen carefully and questions will be taken after.” He paused, taking a sip of coffee. “Here we read of a new movement called feminism. Frankly, it is quite strange and in my opinion, quite needless. Certain woman are rising up and calling for equal rights in government and other issues like working outside the home. These woman are even introducing a new style of clothing called bloomers. Look!” Ned turned the newspaper open and showed us a picture of the new style.

“UUGGG!” Nellie exclaimed. “I could never imagine wearing that even in my grave!”

“It is interesting,” Amanda countered. “I’d be able to ride Pa’s horses quite well.”

“I’m content in my calico,” I said pointedly.

To our amusement, Pa and Ma appeared, and formally took seats.

“What’s more,” Ned read on, “These women want to vote! In all my born days I never heard of such a thing! Now that I have given you the current events, please feel free to ask questions.”

“Why do you think this is happening, Ned, I mean, sir,” Noah said playfully.

“Good question, young man,” Ned cleared his throat. “Honestly, I am not sure. I haven’t talked to these women personally. But I would be interested in their motivations behind this ordeal. Anyone else?”

“If I wanted to purchase one of those bloomers, who should I write too?” Amanda asked, rare mischief flickering over her face.

“As sure as my name is Ned Adams, you’d have to go back east to get them. Unfortunately, they aren’t sending them via the Pony Express.”

This answer brought loads of laughter. We laughed until we cried.

“If it were up to me, I’d let women vote,” I said cautiously. “We are citizens of this country. Why can’t we say so by helping elect people to run it?”

We all exchanged our opinions until Pa declared us too tired to continue.

The next morning I woke up to darkness. “Boy, it sure is early,” I whispered to myself.

“Early?” came Nellie’s incredulous response. “Annie, look outside. That’ll tell you why it’s so dark.” I saw her turn away. Cautiously, I tiptoed to the window dreading what I would see. Whiteness covered the land. Snow. And it was still coming down.

“Can’t do anything about it,” piped up Amanda from her corner. “Snow is snow. Pa was right. I guess it rolled in faster than we expected.”
              “Indeed it did!” I couldn’t hide the disappointment. I almost felt like returning to bed. What would we do today inside? I still could make those pies, I thought. Fiercely, I brushed my dark golden hair and put on a warm, wool dress. I fingered it lovingly. Martha Jane had made it for me as a goodbye gift and I cherished it greatly. I put on two pairs of woolen stockings, my shawl, and my hood. Then, I exited my room and entered the kitchen. Ma was stirring porridge on the stove while of pile of hotcakes sat nearby, steam billowing off of them. The fire sizzled.

“Looks like you are ready to go out,” she said as I stood by the door. “Pa and Ned are in the barn. The boys are still snuggled in the quilts. I told them that you would manage.”

“I’m surprised they aren’t out having a snowball fight already!” I exclaimed. Just then, Noah appeared, hair unruly and suspenders all twisted up.

“Dear me, you must have slept well, son!” Ma laughed.

I slipped out the door and was hit with a blast of wind. It was all I could do to stay on my feet. This western weather definitely was a wonder. Compared to yesterday, I couldn’t believe that I was still in the same square mile of land. The warmth of the barn felt so wonderful.

“I’m sure glad that the Grants got a good cabin built,” I commented as I sat down on the stool and slowly began to milk while Ned forked hay into Jane’s stall.

“Me too.” His voice was muffled behind his scarf. “Haven’t seen you in that dress in a while. That’s the one Martha Jane made, isn’t it?”

I looked at him in wonder. “Yes, it sure is. I’m wishing for an ice skating companion this winter.”

He looked strangely happy. “Well, you’ve surely got one. I found a place that we could skate once when I was exploring. I didn’t tell anyone about it except you right now!”

“Are you serious, Ned?” I asked in disbelief.

“Of course, Annie. You know me. I wouldn’t get your hopes up for nothing. It smaller than the one in Greensburgh but we would have just as much fun. Once it has frozen up solid, I’ll take you there.” He looked thoughtful for a moment. “Your birthday’s coming up, right?”
              I nodded.

“What do you want?” Ned rested the pitchfork on the wall and folded his arms. Dreamily, I looked out of the barn window. Slowly and gently, big snowflakes floated down.

“Ned, I know exactly what I want,” I said. “I would love to ride in a sleigh. A two person sleigh. We could get Thunderbolt to pull it and we’d go flying. That’s exactly what I want. Oh, and with sleigh bells,” I added.

At first, Ned looked troubled. Then his face brightened. “You shall have a sleigh, Annie. A fancy sleigh will bells! You may have to wait quite a while, but you shall have it.”

I was delighted. I finished milking with renewed energy and patted our good, old cow before starting back to the house.

“A dream come true,” I said. Then that sensation hit me like the blast of the winter wind, that disappointing sensation of missing out on time with the Grants. “Can’t have everything in life I guess,” I mused aloud. I crossed the snowy barnyard. The steady snowfall that I had awakened to was lessening and I noticed that the clouds were beginning to break up.

Thud!!!!!!!!!!!! A snowball hit me fair and square in the back.

“Just who would have hit their sister in the back with a snowball while she was carrying in the precious milk? He should be quite ashamed of himself.” I spun around and suddenly wished I could eat my words again. It was Jonath Grant of all people in the world.

He, too, was a bit embarrassed. “Well, a little fun never hurt anyone.”

“What! Are you a poet too?” I said, a bit agitated. “Did you come for breakfast?”

“Annie, don’t take on so. I thought you were…..” His face turned a little red.
              “Huuuh???”
              “Ma said I should just hurry over and tell you not to worry about coming. Pa thought it was too precautions but Ma insisted I should come.” Jonath searched my face for something other than contempt.

“Thank you for letting us know, that was quite thoughtful of your mother. Communication is mighty important around these parts. The sun’s coming out though.” I forgot the snowball and smiled.

“How can you be so sure about that one?” He smiled also, glad I had forgiven him.

“It always does eventually, doesn’t it?” I pointed to the clouds.

That made him laugh. At that moment, the sun broke through a patch of clouds. The snow slowed to mere glitter, sparkling in the sky.

“Well, looks like my trip wasn’t even needed,” Jonath said thoughtfully.

Politely, I asked, “Would you like to join us for breakfast? I know I was joking earlier, but we’ve got plenty.”

“If my parents wouldn’t be worried about me I would,” he said.

Just then, Ned came out from the barn.

“What in thunderation? Oh, it’s Jonath. What’s up, friend?” He took his place beside us.

“Ma sent me over to warn you not to come, but it looks like I’ll have to change that message.”

“Sure will,” Ned looked up into the sky. He winked at me before turning back to our guest. “I suppose Annie invited you for breakfast?”

“She did and since the weather is nice, perhaps my family won’t worry after me. If I won’t be a pest, I think I will stay.”

We didn’t notice Pa until he was within a few feet of us. “Why, it sure looks like somebody’s bored. To come out here before breakfast?” He patted Jonath on the shoulder. “What’s going on with your folks? I guess the sun came out!” He said in the same breath.

“Exactly,” Jonath grinned. “But my family sent me before when it was still looking ugly. They wanted to make sure that you wouldn’t risk coming out and getting stuck.”

“Thank you kindly,” Pa said. Before he could say anything else, Ma called from the house.

“Breakfast is served! Annie, I could really use that milk!”

Blushing a little, I hurried in with the pail.

“My goodness! Did Jane give you a time of it? The food is getting a little cold!” Amanda looked up as I raced in the door.

“No, she’s fine.” I hid a smile and Amanda looked at me quizzically. Pa opened the door and motioned for the boys to come in.

“We have a surprise guest this morning, folks!” came Ned’s voice. Nathan looked over at the trio and so did Noah. They jumped up to give proper greetings.

“Oh,” Amanda groaned as she noticed Jonath. “Did they all come?” She asked me wildly. I looked at her and knew what she was thinking. Her apron was dirty and wrinkled and her dress’s hem was unraveling.

“No, just Jonath.” She seemed to relax at my reply. “Just slip into your seat and he won’t notice a thing. Remember, he has two sisters.” I took my place at the table.

Thankfully, Nellie had heard before she came downstairs and had an extra minute or two to throw on a good apron. She quietly sat down then to my surprise, elbowed me. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that hers were dancing with mischief. Under the table, I kicked her, gently, of course, because I was afraid she would squeal. One never knew with Nellie.

Breakfast went well. Jonath wasted no time, though, after Pa dismissed us. He thanked Ma and us girls for the meal and headed out the door with Ned, who was talking about the new movement that he had read about in the newspaper. I felt I just had to know what Jonath thought about all that to do. I went upstairs and slowly opened my window. From my perch I could hear all that Ned and Jonath were discussing. The cold wind came in and I nearly coughed. Fortunately, I caught myself just in time, for Ned was speaking.

“Such a waste of time!” Ned guffawed aloud. “I’d be ashamed of myself to be a lady wallowing in bloomers all over town.”

“They really believe in what they are doing though,” Jonath countered. “The people I’ve talked to say that they are ready to break free from their oppression.”
              “Oppression?” Ned scoffed. “The woman’s place is in the home and that’s no oppression as far as I’m concerned. My Ma says that she’s comfortable at home doing what the Good Lord made her to do. I don’t see the problem. Look, I just read this verse last evening as I was contemplating these things. It was in Isaiah….” he paused for a moment to collect his thoughts.

“We’ll have all night to discuss this, Ned…..”Jonath began, but then Ned interrupted.

“The verse goes like this, “As for my people, children are their oppressors and woman rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of they paths.” The Good Lord knew what He was talking about and that’s what is going to happen when women out step their bounds and try to run the world. The children will get out of hand and they will be our oppressors. And why will they be out of hand? Because the women are out of the home doing things they should never have even imagined doing.”

“I agree,”Jonath nodded. “But, don’t you think we could give them the benefit of the doubt? What if some of them are just like Annie, intelligent, talented, capable, and ready and willing to do more then run a home?”

Ned frowned. “Don’t bring my sister into this.”

His companion laughed. “No need to work yourself up, Ned. I do need to head home. So, be seeing you tonight. And we can talk more extensively on this issue. My Ma knows a lot about the movement and so does my sister Betsey.”

An unidentifiable expression encompassed Ned’s face. “Well then, I will see you tonight. Safe goings!”

Jonath waved, mounted his steed, and galloped away. After he disappeared from sight, I closed the window, my heart fluttering. Smiling to myself, I began to straighten my room. The lamp shade needed dusting. I grabbed a cloth and rubbed the glass until it shone. Signs of sleep still lingered on the bed and I quickly pulled the covers until no creases were showing. I noticed next that my nightgown had fallen down from its rightful place. Suddenly, I remembered what I had said to Ma the night before. I needed to make a couple pies!! Rapidly, I changed my course and thundered down the stairs. Ma looked up.

“What’s the matter, dear?”

“I just remembered the pies!” I exclaimed.

{Disclaimer: The political views in this story have been written only for the purpose of the story. Both sides have been explored here and the author did her best to accurately portray how someone of the time period, male or female, would have reacted.}

Orielle2023
              @orielle21

@booksandbeakers

Okay, so please forgive me if I missed this in part one… but I, as a reader, would like to know if Annie resents moving from Greensburgh. Does she not like the rough-and-tumble pioneer life? From what I’ve read, I don’t think she misses it, but you might want to clarify a little!!!!

Thanks for the tip! Annie loves the pioneer life and does not resent the move at all. But there’s just a little bit of sadness and loneliness because she had to leave her good friends and the town she had lived in all her life. I’ll look back over it and see if I can make that a little more clear. 🙂

Anonymous

Great job! Things are getting a little tense politically now. And I think you did the best you could portraying the political views.

So… Jonath and Ned are having a little strife. I don’t know your plans for the story, but are you thinking about whether it will effect the MC’s relationship with ,Jonath? Haha, I’m really picky about these things… sorry. I tend to think in terms of plot lines, so you don’t have to fix us much in the drafts!

I really don’t have much to critique!! Keep it up!

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@orielle21

Really enjoyed the chapter! I love that you are adding a taste of the politics, you portrayed it really well. Looking forward to the next chapter!

へびは かっこいい です!

Orielle2023
                    @orielle21

@booksandbeakers

So… Jonath and Ned are having a little strife. I don’t know your plans for the story, but are you thinking about whether it will effect the MC’s relationship with ,Jonath? Haha, I’m really picky about these things… sorry. I tend to think in terms of plot lines, so you don’t have to fix us much in the drafts!

Good question but honestly this debate doesn’t come up again in the story. I should mention this story is already written and I am just posting it in parts. Actually, Jonath and my MC happen *winks* to agree on politics so their relationship with only benefit.

Appreciate the encouragement and feedback!!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Orielle2023.

Orielle2023
                      @orielle21

@mineralizedwritings

Really enjoyed the chapter! I love that you are adding a taste of the politics, you portrayed it really well. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Glad to hear. Thank you!! Going to post more right now. XD

Orielle2023
                        @orielle21

Hi KP friends.  Part four is here!!!! As always, enjoy or ignore! If this is the first time you’ve seen this story, I suggest you read the first three parts first! 😉

@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @starofthenorth @keilah-h @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @felicity @whalekeeper @theloonyone @loopylin @wilder-w @mineralizedwritings @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @ava-blue @folith-feolin @power @sarafini @madelyn @arien @booksandbeakers @lewilliams @otherworldlyhistorian @princesachronicle22

After I whipped on my apron, I whirled about the kitchen. Soon flour, sugar, salt, a couple fresh eggs, a jar of milk, and butter were on the counter. Measuring the flour, sugar, and salt, I dumped them into Ma’s big bowl. The butter came next. I cut it into the mixture. Milk and eggs combined, I scraped their substance into the flour and began mixing. What appeared was wonderful, flaky dough. The best in all the West, Ned liked to say. I smiled at the thought, for I was sure that other ladies had better recipes. At least it was the best to Ned and the rest of the family too. Rolling out the dough came next. I floured the table and used Ma’s ancient rolling pin. Placing the rounds on two pie pans, I went to the cellar for some apples. Disappointment rose quickly in my throat as I noticed the bin was empty. Silently, I wondered when we’d have apples again. I looked about for something else to use. Butternut squash! I’ll just use some butternut squash. Nobody will know if I put in some sugar and spices, I thought quickly. I placed two squashes in my apron and climbed up the stairs. Before long, chopped squash covered in cinnamon, all spice, sugar, flour, and a tiny bit of water sat beaming in the pans. I finished crimping the pies after applying the dough tops. Squash chunks made the dough poke up in a few places. I took a paring knife and cut a sun shape in the center, adding a few designs to the sides. Nathan had built a good fire in the wood stove and soon the wonderful smell of pie wafted through the house.

“Gee, what’s that good smell?” Noah, all red faced and happy burst in the door. “Did you make pie, Annie? I can’t wait to eat it.”
                          “Slow down, young man,” Amanda chuckled. She set down her sewing and looked out of the window.

“Yes, Noah, I made pie,” I winked at him and told him to come.

Puzzled, he walked into the kitchen, ruefully looking back at a trail of melting snow.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get it,” I comforted. “Guess what?” I turned my voice down and whispered. “I made the pie with squash since there weren’t any more apples. Don’t tell anyone.”

Instead of smiling, Noah looked suddenly hot. “Annie, I took the last five apples. I gave one to Ned, Nathan, Pa, and myself,” he stopped.

“What did you do with the last one?”

“Well, Nathan says I can’t tell you yet, but it’s something good.” He looked expectantly at me.

“Alright, I won’t ask any more questions as long as you don’t tell my secret.”

“I won’t!” he determined. “I’m going back outside. It’s nice that the sun came out, don’t you think?”

“It is amazing how this weather can change,” I mused. “And yes, I am very glad the sun came out.”

Noah disappeared outside the door but not without letting in a bit of fresh air. I opened the linen closet for a rag and began to mop up the melting snow on the floor. Nellie walked into the kitchen, hopping puddles in her stockings, and sat on a low stool.

“Ugh, that boy! Dragging snow into the clean house!”She fingered the mittens she was knitting and then turned her attention to me. “Those pies certainly smell delicious.”
                          “Thank you, I was thinking the same thing.” I struggled to keep from smiling. I didn’t want her to see and try to guess why. She bent over her needles.

“Knitting is such curious work. I’d love to have a bit of calico to work with for a change. Seems like I haven’t had a new dress in ages. If you could have a new dress, what fabric would you pick?” She looked up.

I thought for a few moments. “Well, I have a woolen dress and two calico ones. I think I would love to have a cashmere dress and I would get a dressmaker to sew it. The fabric would be a dark red with white flowers and green leaves.” My eyes glowed at the thought.

“Oh, you would look like a queen in that. I can just imagine it.” Nellie’s eyes turned dreamy too. “For me, I would appreciate blue cashmere with white flowers, you know, the kind that we used to see back in Greensburgh. And some gloves with lace on the edges.”
                          “And boots, soft leather boots,” I wished.

Meanwhile, Amanda had indeed been sewing on some calico. The cloth still looked beautifully new. She had brought it with her from Greensburgh and decided to start turning it into something. I wondered what had inspired such a desire.

It wasn’t long before dinner preparations needed to be taken care of. Amanda and Nellie offered to do their share of the work, so I slipped outside after bundling up. The sun was still out, casting a serene reflection over everything. I turned around just as Nathan tried to sneak up behind me with a snowball in his outstretched hand. His face flushed red.

“I was hoping I could surprise you, I guess,” he said with a sheepish tone.

“Well, at least you aren’t as bad as Jonath. He got me fair and square on my back.” I vividly remembered that incident this morning, still a little sorry I hadn’t responded better.

“He threw a snowball at you, Annie? Wait until I tell Ned that!!” He spun around and began to race to the barn, but stopped as I rushed up to him.

“No, Nathan, he wasn’t being mean. He was just having fun,” I consoled.

“Still,” he tore himself away and continued on.

I shrugged and walked down to the creek. It was still rippling despite the cold and I was glad. I sat down. My riding skirt kept my dress from getting wet and I was free to sit in snow. All around me everything was still. An occasional cold breeze made the sleeping trees sway back and forth. Then I heard my name. It was Noah.

“Annie, Annie! Where are you?”

I slowly stood up and walked in the direction of the voice. “I’m right here!”

“Did Jonath Grant really hit you with a snowball or is Nathan just telling tales?” he asked when I reached the barn.

“Oh dear, yes, Jonath hit me with a snowball but it was all for fun, you see. Did Nathan tell you that I caught him in the act before he hit me with one?” I laughed.

“No, he didn’t say a word about himself.”

We entered the barn and I heard Ned yell, “Close your eyes, Annie. Don’t peek.” I heard a great deal of scuffling and then he came over. “Alright, you can open your eyes now.”

“Where’s Pa?” I asked.

“He’s in the hay mow stacking bales,” Ned replied. “Now what’s all this gibberish about Grant hitting you with a snowball?” His dark brows held some apprehension but the rest was all fun and games.

“It’s called someone making a big deal out of nothing. I just happened to notice Nathan about to throw a snowball at me. Of course, when he saw me looking at him, he stopped. Then I told him the story about Jonath. This is what happened. Remember, Ned, we had just finished our conversation and then I went to the house with the milk. Well, I never made it because I was surprised to have a snowball hit me in the back!! Well, after a bit of ranting, I turned around and lo and behold, it was Jonath and his horse.”

Ned laughed hard. “I guess you were in for a surprise. I can imagine that,” and he laughed again.

“What did Jonath do?” Noah prompted.

“Oh, he just was a little embarrassed I guess,” I said.

“As for Nathan,” Ned began in mock authority, “If I hear of you throwing snowballs at girls, you’ll be in trouble.” He tried to box his ears, but Nathan got away.

Suddenly, a horrible thought occurred to me. My pies! I whirled around and dashed from the barn. Expecting to smell them burning, I raced even faster. Bursting into the house, snowy boots, riding skirt,and all, I yanked open the oven door. Beautifully browned pies met my gaze and I sighed in great relief.

“You didn’t think we’d let your pies burn, Annie, did you?” Nellie asked.

“I just forgot about them. Totally.” The smell of pie, glad to be released from its prison, filled the whole house. Ned, Noah, and Nathan, horror on their faces, rammed through the door next.

“Annie, I though you’d seen a ghost or something! What’s going on?” Ned looked at me, and I burst into laughter.

“It’s called somebody making a big deal over nothing,” came Nathan’s snobbish remark. He looked mischievously at me, still upset that I had told on him.

“Now Nathan,” I said sternly. “I thought that my pies were going to be ashes so that explains the look on my face. Everything’s fine,” I said reassuringly.

“I can’t wait to dig into them,” said Noah, winking at me.

“Me neither,” Ned agreed. They tramped back to the barn and I took off my outer layers and hung them by the fire to dry.

Amanda rung the dinner bell about half an hour later. The sound carried to the barn and brought Pa and the boys, who washed up quickly and sat down to a simple but filling meal. We chatted like normal. In our house, Eastern manners, such as ‘children should be seen and not heard’, had fallen by the way side, much like our shoes did in the summer. Besides, Ma noted that we weren’t technically children anymore. Noah, our youngest, was a growing boy of ten years. He was old enough, Ma reasoned, to join in with the conversations at much as Nathan, at thirteen, was. Pa, of course, agreed. With the last of our plates scraped clean, we began our afternoon. Noah was off to get water for the dishes. Ned grabbed his coat and cap. Nathan did the same. Pa suffocated his pipe and pulled on his woolen sweater that Ma had knitted him. In passing he said to me, “Annie, we’re going to the woods for a while. Want to come along?”

“Sure, unless Ma has plans for this afternoon for me,” I replied. Ma implied that she didn’t and Amanda was already clearing the table. Nellie had disappeared and I suspected that she was upstairs preparing for the evening.

We worked hard all afternoon. Finally, we heard the bell.

“Ma must be anxious to have us there in time and in good order,” Ned said. He looked disdainfully down at his trousers. “I’m sure glad I don’t have to wear these tonight.”
                          Noah sniffed. “What’s the point of getting all good-looking when it’s just the neighbors?” Clearly, he didn’t care what others thought of his appearance. Pa chuckled and Ned and I joined him.

“Just wait until you’re a little older, Noah,” I said.

We trudged home and rushed about in preparation for our evening. I threw off my coat and ran upstairs. The door to my bedroom was shut. I knocked in agitation.

“Now, hurry up, whoever is in there,” I cried.

The door opened immediately. “Sorry, Annie!” Amanda apologized. She stepped aside to let me in and then quickly closed the door. I noticed that Nellie was busy in front of the small mirror we had, carefully combing her hair. I stood spellbound as she skillfully pulled her wooden comb through the light brown mass. Then she effortlessly wound it up and a neat, thick knot appeared. Amanda, on the other hand, had golden hair that curled. Since it wasn’t as long as Nellie’s, it took a shorter amount of time to manage. Before squiggling into my fanciest dress of light pink poplin, I had Nellie pull my corset strings. From experience, I knew that she didn’t like to pull too hard, so I would get away with it. Amanda was very strict about corsets and slim waists so I generally stayed far away from her when that time came around.

“That looks lovely on you, Amanda,” I breathed, almost in covetousness. She was the fortunate girl in our house….on her 16th birthday, Pa and Ma had bought her a beautifully sewn dress back in Greensburgh. It was a dark red color with white flowers, the exact pattern that I greatly desired. She placed a golden pin at the neck and spun around.

“You look fashionable enough to attend a ball,” Nellie commented, seeing what reaction this would bring.

“Do I?” Amanda was truly glad.

Nellie continued to pull at the flounces of her dress. It was of lovely dark green and had red berries sprinkled all over it. She took some time to do my hair. First, she combed out the long, dark gold loveliness, as she called it. Then, she did a bit of curling before putting it up. Lastly, we slipped into our boots and came downstairs.

“Well, well, look what pretty ladies we have tonight!” came Pa’s booming voice. Ned, too, looked quite jolly and took Amanda for a spin. Nathan, who was quite tall, grasped my hand and we went swirling and whirling around the room. Noah, a little mystified, sat watching. Ned took a turn with Nellie and we watched them for a while. Nellie was an excellent dancer. Her feet barely touched the floor and it seemed as if she was floating gracefully. Ma entered the room, then, in her best dress—it was of blue and white cashmere. The skirt was shaped like a bell and her hair was neatly and simply curled into a bun. Pa took her hand and they did a few steps.

“Boys, get that wagon ready. Pull it up as close as you can to the door so these pretty ladies don’t spoil their dresses,” Pa commanded. Ned, Nathan, and Noah disappeared outside accordingly.

Before long, we all piled into the wagon. Safely in a basket were the two pies and some preserves wrapped in a cloth. I pulled my hands together inside my muffler. All of us girls were clad in shawls, riding skirts, and veils. Pa guided the horses through the snow. The mile and a half took longer than I expected but finally the Grant’s cabin came into view.

The door swung open, allowing light to spill out into the front yard, for it was growing a little dark. I couldn’t tell who was standing in the open doorway, but I could only guess.

And my guess was right when I heard Jonath call out, “Come in and warm yourselves, friends! Plenty of room and plenty of good food!” By then, the whole family had gathered round the doorway waiting to welcome their guests. Ned helped us girls down and Adam Grant appeared to take the wagon to the barn. We made our way to the friendly folks and were inside the cozy cabin in no time.

“Welcome, friends from afar!” said Jonath in mock magniloquence as he bowed ceremoniously.

“It is always good to see familiar faces again!” Mr. Grant said, slapping Pa on the back.

I looked around the spacious cabin in wonder. Then, Betsey and Grace were at my side.

“Greetings, Annie!”

“It’s a pleasure to see you!” I replied.

“How was the ride over?” This question came from Jonath, who I suspected had been watching for an opportunity to ask me something.

“It went just fine, thank you for asking. Pa’s horses know all about snow,” I said nonchalantly.

“Very well,” he smiled and turned his attention to Nathan, who began asking questions about the building of the cabin. Grace stuck her arm in mine and led me to the kitchen. It was breathtaking, as much as a kitchen can be. A beautiful stove was situated by a window, which was covered with a starched white and blue curtain. There was a long row of cabinets, polished and shiny, with handles to open them. On the left side of the kitchen stood a hutch full of chinaware. The floor was scrubbed meticulously and the walls were decorated with a picture and dried flowers.

“Oh, this is lovely!” I exclaimed. Nellie had also stepped into the kitchen, chatting with Betsey. She looked around and the same expression of loveliness enveloped her.

“It must be a joy to work in here!” She said.

“Indeed it is,” Betsey laughed.

Meanwhile, Ma was handing the basket to Mrs. Grant and doing a little explaining. I just happened to overhear. “Annie made a couple pies and I decided to bring a bit of preserves for your family’s use.”
                          “Thank you very much!” Mrs. Grant said, sending a meaningful smile in my direction. “It will be nice to have pie after supper. I’ll warm them in the stove for a bit.” She bustled about the kitchen and Ma assisted. Amanda was occupied with examining her surroundings. Grace elbowed me and whispered into my ear.

“Amanda’s dress is unreal. I never saw the likes.” Deftly, she looked down at her own dress and pulled on it a little.

“Pa and Ma had it made for her by a dressmaker back East,” I explained while Grace looked at me in surprise. “She picked out the fabric. At first, Ma almost didn’t let her have it. But Pa liked the way it looked,” I chuckled at that last remark.

“Oh, it is just so royal compared to this yellow calico I’m wearing,” Grace said, still amazed.

“Someday we’ll have a general store out here. And a school. Then we can get yards of that fancy fabric. I’ve got something to tell you, by the way.” I walked over to the stove where the two pies sat gently warming. “Can you guess what I used instead of apples?”

“No, I couldn’t even begin to guess,” she answered, her eyes twinkling.

“Squash, butternut squash,” I giggled. “Shh, don’t tell a soul.”

She nodded and we walked away grinning like fellow conspirators. Nellie and Betsey had moved on to the living area where a rocker and several tree stumps proved to be the only seating arrangements. Amanda joined them, although she seemed a bit shy. She quietly took a seat and stared at the fireplace where Adam was stacking a load of chopped wood. To Pa’s relief, Adam had seen to it that the horses were snug and dry. Ned stood by, discussing current events. I once saw him glance over at Nellie and Betsey, then turn away quickly before they noticed. Abe persuaded Noah to play a game of checkers and there was fierce competition as Jonath cheered Abe and Nathan and Samuel cheered Noah. Grace and I pulled a couple tree stump stools over and watched the boys play. I smoothed out my dress which covered the floor space all around me and obviously overflowed my seat. Grace’s dress did the same.

“Who’s gonna win, girls? Wanna bet?” Jonath taunted mischievously.

“Jonath! I wouldn’t do any betting. Ma says it’s a sin!” Grace’s voice rose a little too loudly.

“Gracie, surely you didn’t think I was being serious?” He smirked and glanced over Abe’s shoulder again. Then he looked at me and said, “What do you say, Annie? Who’s gonna win?”

I studied the board for a little while. Then, I began to answer. “Right now, it seems like Abe has the advantage. However, from my experience Noah is very good at checkers, so the tables could turn. I side with my brother this time.”

“Good choice,” Noah said, a little flustered.

“So you play checkers?” Jonath had caught on to my words. “Maybe we’ll have to have a competition after supper. A checker tournament perhaps.”

“Oh, I’m really not that good at all. I just play with Noah sometimes when Nathan or Ned are busy,” I hurried to explain.

“Still, experience is experience,” Jonath countered.

Just then, Mrs. Grant gracefully came into the room. This evening she was dressed in attire similar to Ma’s only it was of pink and white. “Supper is served if you all will find seats around the table. I suppose the boys could bring in the stumps and sit on them if room runs out.”

Jonath grabbed Grace’s and my hands and pulled us to our feet. Accordingly, we joined the throng of people. The boys scurried to the kitchen, followed by Ned and Adam, who came at a more respectable pace. Betsey, Nellie, and Amanda, who had been talking about the latest fashions and flipping through a magazine of dresses that Betsey had received, brought up the rear. Soon the blessing was said and eating commenced. We stuffed ourselves with the delicious cooking. Everyone was making comments.

“Seems like we have indeed met our competitors, girls,” came Ma’s laughing voice. “This is classic cooking.”

“It really was the workings of my mother. I’ve cooking since I was a child and it comes natural for me,” Mrs. Grant replied modestly.

“Indeed, I was smitten by her cooking first,” said Mr. Grant, his eyes giving away his feelings as he recalled those early days. “I had stopped by for business with her father and of course, was compelled to stay for the meal. After I had tasted that food, I couldn’t recall when I had eaten better in my life. Obviously, I couldn’t stay away and it wasn’t long before I enjoyed that cooking three times a day and more.”
                          Mrs. Grant patted her husband’s arm. “Now, I wouldn’t say it happened quite that way,” she laughed a little and we couldn’t resist joining her.

Finally, dessert was brought out. Mrs. Grant placed my pies on the table—one on each end. Betsey carried a spice cake that she had made and placed it in the middle. Grace brought out more coffee and cream. We took a piece of each. Quickly, I dug my fork into the pie. Slipping the fork full into my mouth, I suddenly savored something I hadn’t expected. The pie was lovely. Relieved, I rinsed my mouth with some water and tried Betsey’s cake. Catching her eye, I smiled and pointed. The cake was delicious.

“This pie, man, what a masterpiece.” Adam plunged his fork into the pan again for more.

“Just like I say, brother, the best in the West,” Ned said, winking at me. I looked down, not wanting to give myself more attention than necessary.

“Try it, Samuel, you’ve got too. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!” Jonath exclaimed next as he reached for a second piece and noticed Samuel only munching away on Betsey’s cake.

Hesitantly, he pulled the pan closer. Meanwhile, Mrs. Grant was in deep thought. “It doesn’t seem like apple pie to me. Now, Annie, what did you hide in here?” Seeing my blushing face, she said, “It tastes wonderful, trust me. Wondering got the better of me. It almost tastes familiar.”

All eyes turned to me in expectation. I plunged in. “Necessity is the mother of invention, they say. So, when you want to make pies out here in this great wilderness and you’ve run out of apples, it’s time for just that. There’s no general store to run to, as we all know too well.” I sent Grace a meaningful glance. “I went down to the pantry and found some good looking ingredients to add. They cut like apples and softened like apples. I appreciate the way they turned out. However, there is a catch to this,” I suddenly had a good idea. “Noah is the only one in my family, besides me of course, who knows the secret. If he wins the checkers game, then he’ll tell you. If not, it shall remain a secret.”

The table erupted in groans, sighs, laughs, and clearings of throats all at once. Pa gave me his special smile. He loved watching me use my imagination. Ned looked at me incredulously. Nathan rolled his eyes. Mrs. Grant was choking back laughter as were Betsey and Grace.

“That’s so like Annie,” Nellie said knowingly. I grinned at her.

“Make sure to loose, Abe. I’m dying to know what’s in that pie,” Adam said. Amanda couldn’t hold back her laughter and pretended to cough into her napkin.

“Yeah, Abe. Make sure,” Jonath agreed.

“Now boys,” said Mr. Grant, though too quite amused at the prospect. “Don’t beat down on a man.”

“I might as well just declare bankruptcy,” Abe declared smartly. “Why go through a game when everyone wants you to loose?”

“Life’s life, Abe,” Betsey said kindly. “See what you can make out of this one.” Ned nodded slowly in Abe’s direction in agreement.

Dismissal was loud and busy. Grace and I pushed our way into the kitchen to see if we could help wash the dishes after the table was set in order again. Amanda and Betsey were already attacking that job and Nellie stood by with a towel. Ma and Mrs. Grant busily put the food in safe keeping.

“Come, let’s watch the boys,” Grace suggested and I was only too happy to oblige. We resumed our seats. I put my chin in my hands and sat eye level with the board. Noah was concentrating fiercely but Abe halfheartedly made his moves. Pa and Mr. Grant decided to settle down at the clean kitchen table. Adam and Ned joined them. Pa lit his pipe and Mr. Grant did the same. All the while, Noah and Abe were making moves.

“King!” exploded Noah and he flipped his checker over to reveal the crown. Abe continued to move. One by one his black checkers disappeared from off of the board and finally Noah lept up as the winner.

“Now, ladies and gentlemen,” Jonath said. “Please be seated again so Noah can announce the secret to Annie’s pie.” His voice carried to the kitchen and dining room and soon the room was full of spectators.

“The secret ingredient in that pie was butternut squash. The real reason that Annie had to use something other than apples is because I took the last ones. So there, it is out. Now what’s the big fuss over squash?” Noah sat down and the room erupted in laughter.

“Well, if we haven’t a intuitive young lady and a wonderful spokesman,” said Mr. Grant when the room had quieted down. Abe was laughing too and I was glad that he didn’t appear hurt.

“Why don’t we clear out this room and have a bit of dancing?” suggested Mrs. Grant. This prospect was met with cheers. The ladies whirled about as the men surveyed the area and Adam put another log on the fire.

“One thing that’s sure to prove a big hump to our night,” I heard Mr. Grant saying, “is that of music. Who’s gonna play for us?”

At this moment, Noah’s eyes lit up. “Sir, I’d love to play. I don’t have a fiddle, but I know how to play.”
                          “That works out providentially,” boomed Mr. Grant. “Jonath, run up to the loft and get that violin up there. I’m sure we could get it tuned and playing in no time. And, Son, that’s yours to keep. Play all you like and learn well. And when we get together now and then, we’ll have someone to make music for us.”
                          Noah beamed with joy and my heart grew warm for him. His greatest wish was to play and once he had indeed played at a dance back in Greensburgh. The owner of the instrument had let him play. Miraculously, his little fingers had darted forth along the strings and the other hand held the bow most professionally.

Once the fiddle was in good order, Noah played a practice round and Mr. Grant raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Never heard of someone his age playing so good. And seeing he hasn’t touched the like in a couple years, he must be born to play.” Ma smiled in pride at the commendation of her youngest son. “Now that we have music, grab a partner and when Noah says, ‘Begin’, we shall begin.”

Mr. Grant took the hand of his wife and Pa took possession of Ma. That left the rest of us. Ned, a look of pleasure on his face, approached Betsey and asked for a dance. Who could resist Ned, I pondered pleasantly as Betsey agreed. Next, Adam and Amanda paired. I thought that Amanda had never looked so pleased in all of her life. To Nellie’s delight, Jonath asked for her. That left Nathan and me and Grace and Samuel. Like Nathan, Samuel was quite tall for his age and they both made good partners for their shorter sisters.

“Sure you don’t mind dancing with your brothers, girls?” Jonath asked, his sly smile present. Nellie’s laughter filled the room.

Grace frowned at her brother but I replied half in jest and half in agitation,“As long as you agree to dance with me for the next song, I don’t mind.”

“It shall be!” was his merry answer and the music began. Just like at home, Nathan and I stepped effortlessly round the room, whirling, twirling and swirling across the smooth floor. Grace and Samuel, too, kept up with us. Noah played on and on until finally he decided to switch to a new song. Jonath released Nellie and joined me. Ned asked Grace for a turn. Nathan took Nellie for a spin. Pa took Amanda, Ma sat down to rest, and Adam danced with Betsey. Samuel took a seat beside Abe, who was watching Noah with envy. Jonath was an amazing dancer and we spun so fast I hardly could see the room anymore. Once I was aware of Pa saying, “Don’t over do it, Jonath,” but I was having so much fun that I didn’t mind. Mr. and Mrs. Grant also took a rest and watched as we changed our steps and twirled.

“When’s the last time you did this?” questioned Jonath.

“Oh, my, it was two years ago. That’s when Noah first picked up a violin. We were at a big party in Greensburgh for the governor. That was such a wonderful evening,” I said dreamily, recalling that experience.

“Surely not better than this, though?” he said, his eyes aglow with the same mischievousness as always.

“This is wonderful too,” I said laughing.

Time ticked away and all too soon Pa announced that we should head home.

“It’s been a fabulous evening, folks!” Mr. Grant said, glancing at his wife’s smiling face. “We sure enjoyed ourselves.”

“Indeed!” exclaimed Pa. “One couldn’t wish for better company!”

“We are very thankful for kind neighbors,” Ma said, giving Mrs. Grant a smile. “It was a pleasure to be here.”
                          Ned spoke for all of us. “Thank you for the wonderful time!”

“Mr. Adams, I’ll get the horses and wagon for you, sir,” came Jonath’s quick offer.

“That would be fine,” Pa responded, following Ned, Nathan, and Adam out the door.
                          We bundled up in our warm clothes and bid each other sweet goodbyes. Grace, Betsey, Nellie, and I stood talking for the last few minutes and Amanda packed the basket with the empty pie pans. We were interrupted by the door bursting open and Adam good-naturedly thumping Ned on the back.

“Too many young ladies for one man to escort alone, eh?”

Ned shrugged off the comment, but Adam offered his arm to Amanda. “Quite slippery out there, and Ned only has two arms. Mind if I help?” Amanda didn’t mind and they breezed out the door.

“Goodbye, dear, Annie,” Grace said, fondly patting my arm. “I’m so glad you could all come.”

“Thank you for making it such a good time,” I said, aware of Ned’s presence. “Betsey, goodnight to you!”

She smiled and said, “Stay warm and well ’till next time.”

“And hopefully it’s sooner than later,” Ned muttered. I slipped my hand into his arm and Nellie did the same.

“Yes, hopefully soon,” I said.

Ned tucked us into the wagon before turning to Jonath, who was holding the horses. In a jolly mood he joked, “Here, sir, I’ll take those so you can go in before you freeze.”
                          “A man doesn’t leave duty even in the face of death, Ned,” Jonath replied.

Pa helped Ma into the wagon and I tucked the blanket round her. Noah, who held the violin in its case, and Nathan finished chatting with Samuel and Abe before climbing in.

“God be with you all!” cried Mr. Grant.

“God be with you ’till we meet again!” Pa answered.

Goodbyes echoed and re-echoed and soon we were on our way. The moon serenely guided our path and it wasn’t long before the barn loomed in front of us. Bedding the horses, getting warm by the fire, and preparing for bed took up the rest of our evening and finally, we all settled down for a much needed rest.

PrincesaChronicle22
                          @princesachronicle22
                            • Total Posts: 759

@Orielle

Oh cool! I’ll try to read this when I have some more time 🙂

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. -1 Corinthians
                            And guess what? His is eternal (:

MineralizedWritings
                            @mineralizedwritings

@orielle21

I loved it! Honestly, when I read your story, I just feel like I’m pulled into this beautiful escape of a world. I love reading it! It’s like a dream. I’m over here thinking, “Wow h & m doesn’t sell dresses like that.”

*pouts in corner*

Lol sometimes I wished I had a reason to dress up 😂 and reading your characters doing that makes me jelly XD

Ok anyways, I thoroughly enjoy every chapter you post!!

へびは かっこいい です!

Anonymous

@orielle21

I like it! So… I know about ZERO about musical instruments other than the piano. When you mentioned the violin and the fiddle, you used them interchangeably. Do you (or anyone) know if there’s a difference? As in, could somebody who played the fiddle able to play the violin?

Orielle2023
                                @orielle21

@booksandbeakers

When you mentioned the violin and the fiddle, you used them interchangeably. Do you (or anyone) know if there’s a difference? As in, could somebody who played the fiddle able to play the violin?

Great question!!! So basically as I understand it, violin and fiddle refer to the same instrument. The only difference is how it is played. For violin, think classical, Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, etc. For fiddle, think country music, square dancing, Alan Jackson, etc. Personally, I play violin but I don’t know how to fiddle. Wish I did. It would be so much fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >