Advice much appreciated! 💗

Home Page › Forums › Fiction Writing › Publishing & Platform › Advice much appreciated! 💗

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

Hey KeePers!

There’s something I’ve been worrying about for quite a while now. I was hesitant to bring it up, but everyone here has helped me so much in the past and are so kind and accepting. So I thought I would just post it and ask for some advice.

So… here’s the thing. I’m worried that I may be unable to publish through a traditional Christian publishing house because of my beliefs. As you guys know, I’m a Seventh-Day Adventist. Adventism was once widely regarded as a cult and some evangelicals still see it as such. Even those who don’t, see it as unorthodox and our beliefs dangerous. I’ve seen many Christian sites and magazines denounce Adventism. If you don’t really know what I’m talking about, the below article from The Gospel Coalition pretty much summarizes opinion towards Adventists.

9 Things You Should Know About Seventh-day Adventism

Anyway, I know Adventist beliefs aren’t widely accepted in the general Christian market, and I’ve been very open about my beliefs. I don’t regret that because I believe God calls us to witness, and I feel guilty for even worrying because I know He’ll provide a publishing house if it is His will that I get published. But I have to admit I’m still feeling anxious and would really appreciate any advice. My mentors, I think, expect that I’ll go through Adventist publishing. And while I have considered that, those publishing houses only distribute to SDA bookstores and I really want my book to be for all denominations, you know?

I’m really sorry for this super long topic. But if anyone has any advice or thoughts about how you stick to your own beliefs despite popular opinion, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for reading 💗

Kads
      @scripter-of-kingdoms
        • Total Posts: 765

@joy-caroline Honestly, since God is constantly being tried to cover up by our culture, I don’t hide my beliefs from others, if something like that comes up. I’m not afraid to talk about it. We have rights to freedom of speech and of religion, and while I may not outright and plainly talk about my beliefs all the time, if someone asks me I’ll talk. Hope that kind of helps, even a little. <3

staring at the fields
        if nothing's really real
        i'll make the winter now my home

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@joy-caroline This is a very interesting issue…

First, I want to say that a very popular historical author, Rosanna M. White, is Adventist, and she’s been published by Bethany House (a division of Baker) for over a decade. She’s very vocal about her views on her blog, and I haven’t ever heard of anyone ever discriminating against her because of them.

Also, most Christian publishers don’t discriminate against denominational views–in fiction and nonfiction. With that said, since you’re writing historical fiction, you’re presenting the Christian faith through St. Paul and what is clearly stated in the Bible. Therefore, I don’t think you could classify your book as Adventist, and your denomination doesn’t play into whether or not you are published by a nondenominational Christian company.

I agree with you! God will provide a publishing house or another way to get your book out there! I do understand your concerns, though. I have some radical views myself (partly because I don’t align myself with any church or denomination and partly because, if I did, I’d be more Pentecostal/Charismatic than anything else), so if I were to ever go the traditional route, I would worry that I wouldn’t be accepted because of the spiritual content I put in my books. One reason why I chose self-pubbing, but if you feel the call toward trad, God will show you the way! Isaiah 58:11!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Anonymous

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. I will be thinking about it.

Anonymous

@gracie-j

Wow, I have heard about Roseanna White but had no idea she was actually an Adventist. That’s interesting and so refreshing to hear, that another SDA writer has gotten her beliefs out there.

And you’re so right, I really don’t want this book to be classified as just an “Adventist book” because it’s really not. Of course, though, my own beliefs will be infiltrated through my writing. I’ve read Christian fiction that is infiltrated with doctrines such as eternal hellfire, predestination, and an immediate ascent into heaven, all things that Adventists don’t believe in. Do you think I should be worried about that? (If you don’t mind all my questions, I’m so grateful for all the help you’ve already given!)

Thank you for the encouragement!

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j

@joy-caroline Yep! Grew up Methodist, but she’s now SDA. She’s also a fantastic author in general, too, so…

I don’t mind the questions at all! I don’t think you should be worried! I’ve read many books that go both ways–some that state beliefs like the ones you mentioned, some that veer in the opposite direction. Either way, the author’s beliefs are pretty obvious, especially for fiction. Actually, I just wrote a KP article all about faith elements in his-fic that will probably help you! That should be coming out at the end of this month, I think! Anyway, yeah, the best thing to do is not to push anything, you know? You’re writing to entertain and excite–yes, to teach, but this isn’t a work of theology, you know? Therefore, you don’t have to feel pressured to argue anything. Also, the best thing you can do in any case is stick to the Word of God! If you’re not sure how to present something, use scripture! If every doctrine you present is founded in the Holy Word, then no God-fearing person will argue with you or try to correct you!

Anonymous

@gracie-j

Cool! 😀

Thanks, that’s really reassuring to me. I’ve never thought about it that way before – ultimately I’m not writing a book of theology. If I were writing a book arguing for Adventist beliefs that would be a different thing. I’m excited for your article to come out, it sounds really interesting and like it will be helpful for me!

Thanks so much!!

Gracie J.
                  @gracie-j

@joy-caroline Good! I’m glad that helps! I know I have to keep my theologian side in check sometimes, because I do have a tendency to argue. A great example to refer to would be Jane Austen, I think. She always had a point to prove, a moral to the story, if you will, and something with which she found fault in her society. She used her books to convey her views, but instead of forcing them upon the reader, she illuminated the situation or subject, gave both sides of the argument, and then let the reader think and consider for themselves.

Now, if you wanted to write something theological, nonfiction, or even targeted at theology for a specific audience, that’s one thing. I’ve got a book I plan on writing one day that’s really more theological than anything, but it’s fiction. I’d self-publish it, so that wouldn’t be an issue, but I would have a specific audience in mind and would classify my book as what it is. You know?

Otherwise, remain true to the time period. Respect it. Respect your characters and what they believe. Use the religions and doctrines of the day to make your readers think about their views.

Anonymous

@gracie-j

I totally get that. Thank you SO much for all your help, girl! That’s such a good example. Giving both sides of the argument is a great way not to preach.

That theological book idea sounds so cool! I would definitely be interested in reading it. One day I may write a nonfiction on Adventist beliefs for teens.

Thank you so much. I will definitely keep that advice in mind!

Gracie J.
                      @gracie-j

@joy-caroline Of course!!! You are more than welcome! 🙂

Thank you! It’ll prolly be a while before I can get around to writing it, but I would love to share it once I do! I think a nonfiction for teens would be amazing! You should totally go for it!

Anonymous

@gracie-j

Yay! I’d love to read it!

I should really get around to a nonfiction project sometime. XD

BuildsByGideon
                          @buildsbygideon
                            • Total Posts: 46

@joy-caroline – I’m sorry to hear about the Christian publishing authors may not want to publish your book! :/

While I don’t agree with some of the SDA’s viewpoints (orthodox Presbyterian myself) it shouldn’t be any reason not to publish a historical fiction. I can understand that they would want to keep other views out, but I almost wonder if you were to not mention you’re an SDA. Not hiding it or anything or being secret or even shamed/proud, they may not even realize it and wouldn’t necessarily care to ask.

Reading your book would prove pretty quickly if it was something that didn’t align with the publisher’s views and would let you know pretty quickly, but that may be an opportunity to review your own work and rewrite it in such a way that would allow it to be published.

I think you’re right to publish it to Christians at large and not only under an SDA publisher, I think what you’ve got to say (whether I agree with it or not) would be more beneficial to have people read than not! 😀

Gracie J.
                            @gracie-j

@joy-caroline Thank you!!

You should!! I’d love to read it!

Anonymous

@buildsbygideon

Thank you for the input! I’m glad you think it’s a good idea to publish to Christians at large. I would really like to do that instead of the book being for just my denomination. 🙂

BuildsByGideon
                                @buildsbygideon
                                  • Total Posts: 46

@joy-caroline Absolutely!

I wish you the best of luck in getting it published!

I wouldn’t worry too much about what they say even on their page though, most of the time that’s a formality for the doctrine-focused theology books that they don’t want to be published under their name.  I doubt it’d apply to your historical fiction, though if you were to write an SDA doctrine book, they might have something to say about that

Super excited for you 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >