A Name For Rodyn

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters A Name For Rodyn

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

Okay, here’s the pick of the litter: The Silver Spark/Flame, The Rogue Blade, The Spark/Flame of the Dimwood (courtesy of Daeus 😉 ).

I’m thinking I want to go with Spark over Flame, as long as it doesn’t sound juvenile, because rebellion is the flame, and Rodyn’s the one who sparked it. And silver is banned from being worn, because it was the color of Jora before it fell to the hands of evil. So naturally, Rodyn always tries to have it on somewhere. 🙂

So of the above names, which do you guys prefer?

@Daeus
      @Christi-Eaton @Emma-Flournoy @Northerner @PerfectFifths @Sarah-H @Kate-Flournoy @Jess @Hope

Oh, and Perfect Fifths, you’ll probably see bits and pieces turn up here and there. I haven’t actually started writing it yet, I’m just in that awful in-between planning stage, while I’m editing my other book. Because I hate editing so much that I have to do something else to keep me from strangling my computer. 🙂 *ahem* So yeah.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Ethryndal I like the Dimwood ones, both Spark and Flame… maybe the bad guys could call him spark in a derogatory way, and the good guys could call him flame because to them he is the flame?

Love all the character development and symbolism you’re incorporating here, btw. 😉

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

I’d prefer dimwood and then silver.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal I would avoid using The Rogue Sword, mainly because a movie just came out called Rogue One. AND DONT TELL ME ANYTHING! I HAVENT SEEN IT YET! *melts chair just so you all get the point*:P
            Anyway…the Dimwood one seems to be pretty long, so I’d go with your first, the Silver Flame. (not spark, because a spark is passing. It’s there, and then its not. But maybe that’s what you’re going for…hmmm)
            Oh, grr, the in-between stage. I’m there too. That’s what the writing dares are for. Also my Style Block. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
            @northerner
              • Total Posts: 244

“Spark” is just another opportunity for a nickname by the villains. And I love the idea of him wearing silver because it stands for his country before it was taken over, and now it’s banned.
              I’d go with either Silver Spark or Silver Flame, though the former is alliterative, and in the words of Matt Meese, “Alliteration is awesome.”

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

I like Silver Spark or Silver Flame…all the names are cool, really, but I like the meaning and things you could do with Spark/Flame. I really like Dimwood too, but that might be a bit long for a name.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Louise Fowler
                @perfectfifths
                  • Total Posts: 726

@ethryndal

What if his “full, official” title is the Silver Spark/Flame of Dimwood, and everyone just shortens it to the Silver Spark/Flame? By the way, I see your point about going for spark rather than flame, but as @dragon-snapper said, it’s quick and passing. But I love how he rebels and wears silver. 🙂

Other words for “spark” and “flame” you could use are “ember” or “blaze”? (just throwing out more suggestion; feel free to completely disregard them 😉 )

Suggestions aside, I do like the Silver Spark! 🙂

Currently reading Les Miserables

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@Ethryndal I love The Silver Spark; I think The Spark of Dimwood (not the Dimwood—less cluttered sounding) is good too. Ooh, I actually think that’d be my favorite—The Spark of Dimwood.

I’m so glad you like Rody. Those sound like incredibly sweet/funny uses of the nickname by all those friends. 😀
                    Is the kid he took in an abused page boy?!

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal

Oh, good point, @Dragon-Snapper. I didn’t even think about Rogue One, which is kind of dumb, because I just saw it the other day. *ducks from flying embers of chair* *point very much taken* OKAY. Go see it. Really. Go melt everyone’s chair at the theater so they’ll leave and you can get in. Or I might have to get my bow and see if you have any loose scales. *shakes head severely* And we wouldn’t want that! Seriously, it had such an affect on me that I’m drawing a picture in it’s honor, which I might dump somewhere on here when I’m done, just to make you go and see it.

*ahem* Anyways. 😛

That’s also a good point about sparks passing. And I guess when it comes down to it, Rodyn really is what holds the rebellion together, so he’s not the spark after all, he’s the flame. But as Matt Meese (and @northerner) so wisely said, “Alliteration is awesome.” And I kind of agree. But as @Kate-Flournoy suggested, the villains could refer to him as a spark, because they expect his flame to die away, and to the people, he is the flame, because the hope he brings is steadfast and growing.

Okay guys,…*deep breath*…I’m going with Rodyn, the Silver Flame. Whew. I said it. Hopefully I don’t change my mind tomorrow. 😉 Thanks for all your help!

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal

@Emma-Flournoy Actually, yes, Hemlin is something of an abused page boy. 🙂 And now that you mention it, I’m already starting to have second thoughts. I really like Silver Spark. 😛 (Seriously, the alliteration! Who doesn’t love it?) I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself. XD

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper
                          • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal No…no… don’t change your mind!!!! Please! Silver Flame is awesome!! I repeat, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MIND! 🙁
                          And I’ll confess…Alliteration, in my mind, is not always awesome. *duck flying daggers* Silver Spark, I can’t imagine it. But Silver Flame, that just puts an amazing picture in my head.
                          Don’t do it, Ethryndal…
                          (sparks are passing, sparks are passing, sparks are passing)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
                          @northerner

Sparks start a fire, the flame has to be started. Is Rodyn starting the revolution, or is he more of a part of it?

Northerner
                            @northerner

Oh, and there appears to be an inside joke about an abused page boy. Is it something others are allowed to know?

Ethryndal
                              @ethryndal

@Dragon-Snapper Okay, Okay, don’t melt me! While pretending to sleep last night, I finally decided Flame is it. I really like Spark (it was my first pick, and despite what you say, aliteration IS awesome 😛 ) but for some reason, when I say it, it keeps making me think of Sparky the firehouse dog or something. I think I’m going to have the bad guys call him Spark, because they don’t fully realize the threat he poses against them. They think (as you have been very firm in stating 😉 ) that the hope he creates is passing. They don’t understand that what sparked him has turned him into a true blazing flame.

Okay. Now don’t let me go back on myself again. *prepares for worst*

@Northerner
                                Rodyn used to be an abused page boy, and that’s why he’s so passionate about helping the poor and weak people that are suffering under the tyrannical rule. Hemlin (the MC) is an abused kitchen boy who he accidentally runs into and takes under his wing. If there is an inside joke about this, it completely went over my head. 😛

Northerner
                                @northerner

@Ethryndal, in case you were coming to a firm decision, how about another idea to consider? What about Ember? Coal has the wrong connotation, but an ember is also something that holds heat for a long time and glows, just waiting for the right scratch or added fuel in order to burst into flame.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >