A Girl Writing from a Guy's POV

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters A Girl Writing from a Guy's POV

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong
      • Total Posts: 445

Hey, guys!

So…the title basically says it all. One of my two POV characters is a boy. I am a girl. Hence, the question.

Guy writers. Tell me how your brains work, please. Or just some tips. Or examples of what NOT to do. Like, if you read a book by a girl author with a boy POV and they failed miserably, how did they do it?

Also, just for clarification, he is an ISFJ, if that makes any difference. And he falls in love with my girl MC.

@daeus
      @sam-kowal @aratrea @xonos-darkgrate @anyotherguys

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
      https://forums.theaetherli

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@aislinn-mollisong I like to say that guys are just like girls, only they’re not. The point is that they’re both human and share the exact same humanity. Gender only changes one’s outlook on life and certain behaviors.

I think girls are generally able to write guys pretty well and vice versa. The one issue that’s coming to mind which I run into here and there is that sometimes girls write happy, casual guys who don’t have any humanity. It’s like the female author thinks that because guys aren’t girls, they must not be humans. Actually, a lot of the problem is simply that the writers are still in the developing stage. But definitely focus on the guy’s humanity.

If you have any more questions, I’m happy to help.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
        @daeus

@aislinn-mollisong I like to say that guys are just like girls, only they’re not. The point is that they’re both human and share the exact same humanity. Gender only changes one’s outlook on life and certain behaviors.

I think girls are generally able to write guys pretty well and vice versa. The one issue that’s coming to mind which I run into here and there is that sometimes girls write happy, casual guys who don’t have any humanity. It’s like the female author thinks that because guys aren’t girls, they must not be humans. Actually, a lot of the problem is simply that the writers are still in the developing stage. But definitely focus on the guy’s humanity.

If you have any more questions, I’m happy to help.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ariel Ashira
          @ariel-ashira
            • Total Posts: 739

@daeus. That was helpful for me as well, because I have a story in the works, and the two main characters are guys.  Thank you!

"In a mask, was he?"

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17
              • Total Posts: 2522

@aislinn-mollising you got good advice (and i’m not a guy), but I thought I’d give you a link to a blog post Jane did

https://janemareeauthor.com.au/2017/11/writing-from-a-guys-pov-when-youre-a-girl/

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
              www.jennaterese.com

Daeus
              @daeus

@aislinn-mollisong One other observation of mine. I can’t confirm this, but I believe men aren’t any less emotional than women. They just don’t (as a generalization) do very much about it, whereas women tend to be emotionally proactive.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Aislinn Mollisong
                @aislinn-mollisong
                  • Total Posts: 445

@daeus Thank you. I knew a bit of  that, but I wasn’t sure. As some of you people know, I didn’t do the best job on Nikko….so I was a bit wary.

@jenwriter17
                  Thank you!

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                  https://forums.theaetherli

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >