Unlikable 12-Year-Old MC

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Unlikable 12-Year-Old MC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    raevynstar
    @raevynstar
      • Total Posts: 23

In my secondary project, which is realistic/Christian fiction, the main character, Fiona, is…unlikable at first. To say the least. She’s not evil, but she’s petty, spoiled, and judgemental.
      This book is a retelling of The Secret Garden, so you know she’s going to be redeemed. 😉 But how do I keep readers invested in such a whiny brat’s point of view for the first few chapters?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by raevynstar.
      Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@raevynstar Confidence is key. A good spoiled brat sees the world in black and white. Their confidence in themselves is unflinching and they don’t consider other ways of looking at things. Such firmness inspires respect, even in fools.

Don’t know if that fits your character, but it’s one thing that works really well.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Josiah DeGraaf
        @aratrea
          • Total Posts: 717

@raevynstar I wrestled through the same question when writing my second book. I think the key is to not make Fiona completely unlikeable. Give her some likeable traits and give the reader some hints that she’s eventually going to change. If you can also give her sympathetic motivations for her unsympathetic actions and show us what sort of things Fiona fears and hopes for, that should do a lot to flesh out her character and keep readers invested. 🙂

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 96

@raevenstar – I’ve always found that one of the best ways to do that is to explore why the main character is a brat. Did he/she have a tough childhood? Did a parent die? Etc.

I find that helpful and that it extends some sympathy to the MC

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 96

Ooops. @raevynstar

NC Stokes
              @daughteroftheking
                • Total Posts: 1156

@raevynstar *grins from ear to ear because I loooove The Secret Garden* I found the article really helpful when it comes to my unlikeable characters. It might not be exactly what you’re after, but there are some good points in there. 🙂

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

NC Stokes
                @daughteroftheking
                  • Total Posts: 1156

I just realized I typed “the article” instead of “this article.” *laughs at self* It makes it sound like some sort of revered, secret thing. XD

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Ingrid
                  @ingridrd
                    • Total Posts: 830

@raevynstar
                    I think you could do one of two things. You could go with what @daeus said and make her completely confident in herself…or you could make her doubt herself and her abilities. Maybe she’s really insecure and doesn’t quite know who she is. Anyway, just some thoughts.

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >